StrangeFate's stuff: Tribal Armor & Body Paints out now!

Comments

• Can't think of anything that hasn't just been said

Beautiful work

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479

Can't think of anything that hasn't just been said

Beautiful work

+1

And I love that beer foam. That's just so crazy good!

• StrangeFateStrangeFate Posts: 756
    edited November 2019

Another rather unexciting week... had to spend some time optimizing some of the textures and grouping things up in the Daz scene already as it was starting to not fit on the VRAM and was sometimes rendering instead with the CPU.

With the denoiser in Daz now and 12-16 GB NVidia video cards coming out next year I've decided to probably include around 3+ material quality presets saved as Hierarchical materials that can be applied to the entire scene in 1 go.

1 will be the highest res which probably won't fit in 8GB by the time we're done, and the others will have different degrees of optimization, be it lower res roughness maps but hires normals+diffuse or other combinations of hi and low res that may read better after a denoiser pass. The denoiser seems to make hires textures (other than normalmaps perhaps) unneccesary for most people's daily needs, and others that don't use the denoiser will still have access to hi res maps and other optimized material presets too.
    The idea is to also make sure people can fill up the Inn with characters, although given tha some dresses use half empty 4k textures for shoes that have no detail anyway... I'm not sure I can guarantee that.

QuIck image with uhm ...stones pocking though the yet untextured plates from the stone wall that's not as displaced as it should and looks rather flat atm :/

Post edited by Chohole on
  • Am glad you are trying to give options for lesser cards, what I like about your bedroom too heart

• algovincianalgovincian Posts: 2,576

So I went through my library and noted my favorite fantasy type outfits I've bought through the years (for all genesis figures). This is by no means a complete list as it doesn't include any V4/M4 assets I've bought:

Genesis (5)
    Andromeda's Legend
    Battle Armor
    Caput Caseum
    Genesis Cavalier
    Steam Punk Xandra

G2M (2)
    Ferdibrand
    Knight Guard

G2F (2)
    Elven Armor
    Sherwood Huntress

G3M (4)
    Chevalier
    Dragonsbane
    Fantasy Friar
    Peasant

G3F (14)
    Aery Mage
    Ailsy
    Astrani
    Chevaleresse
    Fantasy Barbarian
    Goldberry
    Kadis
    Knight Winds
    Mercurial Guardian
    River Willow
    Rune
    Sunward Bliss
    Vanessa Marquisse
    Zodiac Sorceress

G8M (7)
    Blacksmith
    Dark Guard
    Dragon Lord
    Medieval Villager
    Southern Noble
    Templar Outfit
    Wise Wizard

G8F (9)
    Chain of Darkness
    Dragon Guard
    Genus Unknown
    Legend
    Orleans Armor
    Peasant Dress
    Vernea Fae
    Venom Blade
    Wind Warrior

Comes out to 43 - all of which I'd like to see make an appearance at the grand opening party in Roguey & @Strangefate's Medieval/Fantasy Inn/Tavern. Having trouble coming up with a way to choose who gets culled, I've decided the only fair thing to do is include them all in one epic render. Wish me luck!

BTW, are horses allowed inside? If they are, I'd like to make it 43 plus one horse decked out in Fantasy Dark Knight Armor.

Seriously can't wait to play with this set over the holidays - cheers!

- Greg 

edited November 2019

@algovincian - I hope at least one of those characters is a wizard, cause you might need one to fit all those costumes in your vram :)

Been fighting off a flu and Roguey's been preparing for some exams, so things have been a bit slow, but was a good time to try the texture optimizations I had in mind.

As it is right now, the Inn scene is broken down into groups, 1 for each area of the Inn (upper floor, main Area, Fireplace and storage room areas). Each of those groups contains a prop and  Architecture groups for the respective area.

The groups will let you easily hide any areas you don't need for your render, or just the props of those areas (and maintain the architecture and with that avoid exterior light flooding in).

You'll also be able to select any of the groups and apply lower res textures to the anything inside the groups with a click, so you can keep things in the area you're rendering at a higher res, and downsample the further away areas to medium or low res maps.

You can also select the main Inn group containing everything and apply low/hires materials to everything at once. Makes it easy to set up the scene and do quick renders with lowres materials as they load faster, then switch to hires for the final render.

Anyway, 2-3 minute render with everything at medium settings and denoiser:

Post edited by StrangeFate on
  • OdinVonDOdinVonD Posts: 243

The groups will let you easily hide any areas you don't need for your render, or just the props of those areas (and maintain the architecture and with that avoid exterior light flooding in).

You'll also be able to select any of the groups and apply lower res textures to the anything inside the groups with a click, so you can keep things in the area you're rendering at a higher res, and downsample the further away areas to medium or low res maps.

You can also select the main Inn group containing everything and apply low/hires materials to everything at once. Makes it easy to set up the scene and do quick renders with lowres materials as they load faster, then switch to hires for the final render.

You are a beautiful human being for thinking of this and making it for us heart

• algovincianalgovincian Posts: 2,576
    edited November 2019

@algovincian - I hope at least one of those characters is a wizard, cause you might need one to fit all those costumes in your vram :)

There is a wizard! Good thing he was around to help develop a workflow (and write scripts to deal with some tricky shadow related issues). Here's a test (partially cooked as I pulled the plug early and let the denoiser do its thing):

Not really all that interesting of a scene, and certainly not as big as the party in the works, but it is a successful proof of concept since the whole workflow is scalable to any number of figures.

The party is growing, too, as the Elven Nymph will be enchanting everyone with her elven cello. She looks great even though she's a throwback from the V4 days - goes to show how important lighting is, and the lighting in the bedroom is excellent. Psyched to hear it will be similar for this set.

It's going to be challenging to get 40+ figures into the same scene. The tentative plan (if possible) is to include the raised wooden floor area with the 2 tables, the fireplace area, and the stairs going up to the 2nd floor with people hanging out on the railing (getting the chandelier in the shot).

The entry area with the door/bench is also interesting, and I love the huge skull, too - there are so may cool areas in this set! Can't wait to load it up and explore the layout looking for potential camera angles.

- Greg

mega-720.png
    720 x 405 - 419K
    Post edited by algovincian on
  • I think that group will look pretty cool in the Inn Greg!

I did some magic myself and converted all the displaced walls and floor into polygons and optimized them (same treatment as the bedroom walls and floor) and now the whole scene fits nicely in VRAAM with highest quality textures again,

All props are done, minus some sausages Roguey is finishing to hang around the walls for that rustic feeling and adding cobwebs and dirt on the floor which is on me.

Some updated renders, not much new to see as optimizing the walls took some time, but I've started throwing in some of the finished decorations around, plenty more to be added over the next days. THe palce should look somewhat lived in and full of stuff by the end of it hopefully.

• Nice yesyesetc

Amazing! We all appreciate the work you're putting into this! 

Just out of curiosity, were you thinking of doing the exterior of the building at some point? Or nah? 

• OdinVonD - The initial idea was to do a small tavern like the one that appears several times in Game of Thrones, the one that seems to be somewhat in the middle of the forest in an old stone building and has almost no interior lighting. We would have then done the interior and after that the exterior with some terrain around it as I wanted to start figuring out the best way to do forest-ty exteriors for Daz anyway.

As with all good plans, we didn't exactly stick to it and the Inn turned out bigger and nicer than GoT's run down place so... I still want to do a set of connecting forest-ty exteriors and a fitting exterior for this Inn would be one of them, but I couldn't really say when that would happen atm.

That's fair. Thanks! 

• lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,234
    edited November 2019
    All props are done, minus some sausages Roguey is finishing to hang around the walls for that rustic feeling and adding cobwebs and dirt on the floor which is on me.

Just wondering, can you include the cobwebs and dirt etc under 'props' folder.  I like to use them in other scenes.  In the bedroom environment, the floor dirt and cobwebs weren't set up under props.

I mean, I think i saved them as figure/prop assets anyway, but it would make it convenient to have them already set up. I think those types of assets are really the most versatile types of assets because they can be used in any scene.

btw looking amazing.

Post edited by lilweep on
  • Romulus71Romulus71 Posts: 141
    edited November 2019

This looks so ridiculously good! Thank you for spending so much time optimizing it. Instant buy!

Post edited by Romulus71 on
    edited December 2019

@lilweep - I'll keep that in mind. The Inn required more of eveything so things were done differently this time around. The cobwebs are larger props covering entire areas (too much work to place them 1 by 1 in Daz) and the floor debris was mesh painted, so it's split into large custom meshes too :/

Just a quick update... Inn is pretty much done, just some icons and similar stuff left to do.

As with the bedroom, there's 2 settings, night and day:

Inn is pretty much done, just some icons and similar stuff left to do.

Pretty sure my heart leapt into my throat when I read that! <3  

• NathNath Posts: 2,713
    OdinVonD said:

Inn is pretty much done, just some icons and similar stuff left to do.

Pretty sure my heart leapt into my throat when I read that! <3  

I went SQUEEEEEE!

• Mine as soon as it's out

• Oh, yeah.  Add to the other sets I have, cannot wait. :D 

• An alternate layout Roguey has been working on while I prepare the product:

Both scenes will be included in day and night versions.

• OMG surprise  beautiful is least to say heart

• DaventakiDaventaki Posts: 1,621

Can't wait this is stunning!

• Optimizing VRAM usage has been somewhat exhausting...

edited December 2019

Algovincian gave me the idea to do some 360 renders!

Panorama render was done at 4096x2048 with the lowest resolution material setting included with the Inn, which is everything at half the resolution and 500 iterations.

https://momento360.com/e/u/d834460ceee3460b8691972528d2e566?utm_campaign=embed&utm_source=other&utm_medium=other&heading=0&pitch=0&field-of-view=70

• NathNath Posts: 2,713

oh my...wow...

• Lothar WeberLothar Weber Posts: 1,611
    edited December 2019

OMG... MINE MINE MINE... 

Post edited by Lothar Weber on
  • Holy chingow !!!!!!

• lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,234

i love all the little details like breadcrumbs and dirt etc.

When you mentioned making external/outdoor environments, were you considering making an outdoor environment for this?

I noticed there are zero good snowy/wintery environments, which is weird because tis the season.  Seems like an open market.

• jardinejardine Posts: 1,190

every time i check in on this thread, i'm blown away.  for days.  :)

amazing work, y'all.  can't wait to see this turn up in the store.  hope it's soon!