StrangeFate's stuff: Tribal Armor & Body Paints out now!

Comments

• algovincianalgovincian Posts: 2,576

Hey, still at it... just have to finish another job first, then back to this...

You got your wish with dForce!

-Greg

• StrangeFateStrangeFate Posts: 756
    edited December 2017

Hey, still at it... just have to finish another job first, then back to this...

You got your wish with dForce!

-Greg

Yeah, I've watched some videos about it and it seems pretty straight forward too and some of the pieces I'm doing with lots of stuff hanging down could benefit from it... or all the layered stuff might be too much for it... we'll see when I get there.

Working a bit on it during the holidays, some things are still missing detail and most shoulderpads clip through the arms in the default pose so I didn't bother putting them on. There's 10+ different pieces to choose from for most areas (lower arms, upper arms, shoulders, head, chest)... gonna do some boots next probably.

BG_wip3.jpg
    712 x 674 - 108K
    BG_wip4.jpg
    712 x 674 - 87K
    BG_wip5.jpg
    712 x 674 - 85K
    BG_wip6.jpg
    712 x 674 - 92K
    BG_wip7.jpg
    712 x 674 - 85K
    Post edited by StrangeFate on
    edited December 2017

Looking forward to your next release, Mario!

You may want to try setting the collision mode to "Good - Discrete : Swept Vertex", which will allow you to set the Collision Layer property (currently doesn't work for the other collision modes) - more detailed info in the post(s) from Rob:

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/203081

You'll be happy to know that you can paint all sorts of weight maps for various physical parameters, as well as overall influence weights. It really clicked for me once I realized that this was the equivalent of "pinning" soft selections. This post explains in more detail how this is so powerful when combined with conforming clothing:

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/2962226/#Comment_2962226

Also, there are plans and a foundation for a more robust physics solution that includes rigid bodies. I think a lot of your designs would make great use of this! (things hanging from rings, etc.)

Merry Christmas / Happy Holidays / Happy New Year!

- Greg

Post edited by algovincian on
  • I'll keep that in mind thanks.

And yes, I love how it works with the vertex paints, same principle ain in Video game engines, so I'm hoping things will go smooth :)

Happy new year indeed!

Been busy with other projects, but getting there!

Just 2-3 more pieces left...

The armours covering the belly are separate pieces too and you'll be able to hide the skulls deco and some other things. The skulls sill also have a morph for scaling, so you can put the stuff on a larger than life character and scale the skulls down a bit so they still look human sized.

Given all the decorations and layers around the waist, I'll have to see how much physics I can really add to that stuff. I tried avoiding fur since that wouldn't have worked for surre with all the floating alpha planes.

BA1.png
    1600 x 696 - 505K

Been busy with other projects, but getting there!

Just 2-3 more pieces left...

The armours covering the belly are separate pieces too and you'll be able to hide the skulls deco and some other things. The skulls sill also have a morph for scaling, so you can put the stuff on a larger than life character and scale the skulls down a bit so they still look human sized.

Given all the decorations and layers around the waist, I'll have to see how much physics I can really add to that stuff. I tried avoiding fur since that wouldn't have worked for surre with all the floating alpha planes.

Damn . . . this set is going to be huge, eh? I'm certain people will be pleased!

Just the other day, somebody was asking about Kadis (they had seen it in one of the many promos it's been used in).

Good to hear from you and find out you're still at it.

- Greg

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Looks fantastic! 

edited March 2018

Thanks Ice Dragon :)

It is rather huge Greg... it's about 10 of everything... shoulders, bracelets, gauntlets, boots, helmets... but I might leave out the least interesting parts.
    I finished the modeling this weekend, adding a cape and a generic scabbard that can be attached to the waist and/or back.

Will be a bit before I have time to texture anything tho. Have to finish another project first, and I've also been teaching 3D to a local girl here for the past half year.

As a first project she's been doing a complete small appartment since it seemed easiest for learning while also doing something useful at the same time. She's been the whole half year at it so in retrospect we should probably have just gone for a single room first :)

Anyway, she's almost done so I started texturing things today, nothing exciting but still fun to do, trying to make things look natural and worn. Not sure if there's much demand for contemporary interiors.
    Next she wants to do a Fantasy/Medieval interior... an Inn or... something, which should be more fun.

Post edited by StrangeFate on
  • SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,648

She sure has a great teacher Strangefate!!!

Those armor outfits are coming along nicely!!!

edited April 2018

I'm sure she'd complain about some things about her teacher... doesn't like it that much when she blows up a mesh and I laugh at the mess...

Anyway, a bit more texturing done.

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited April 2018

edited May 2018

More boring to look at yet fun to texture stuff...

It all looks great - is this stuff going to end up in the store?

- Greg

That's the idea yes, It's a small 80s apartment (more or less) and if I have the energy, there will be 2 different layouts with some different colored walls/wallpaper and modular walls/doors etc so people can design their own layout.

Also... every single material on the meshes is separate, so they can easily change the wallpapaer of the walls without affecting the wooden trims on them or change the bronze on the lamp, white or fabric on the chairs or whatever to anything else without affecting the rest of the object.

• Worlds_EdgeWorlds_Edge Posts: 2,145

Looks really great.  My aunt has a closet just like the white one.

edited May 2018

Thanks Worlds_Edge

Some more progress today, working window blinds, the Cord also has a morph to make it look like you're pulling on it. Curtains will come later.

• KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191

I love that cabinet. It looks very nice. I love the knobs. :)

edited May 2018

I love that cabinet. It looks very nice. I love the knobs. :)

I put a lot of love into those knobs!

Few more things... Wall tests with decals on top for wear and some edge damages and a large window.

If all keeps going well, I think within a month the apartment might be ready for testing, if anyone's interested. It will be Iray for sure but I'm still debating whether I want to deal with 3DeLight materials. I've automated the whole material setup for Iray and could do the same for 3DeLight... but I'm worried some of the decal/alpha stuff and some of the glass things might need more work to work properly.

I’ve been playing around with a new rig/system that includes multiple section planes useful for lighting indoor scenes in Iray. Let me know if there’s anything I can do to help. 

- Greg

edited May 2018

Thanks Greg, still have to figure out what to do with the lights... whether the 'real' lights should be enough or whether I should be cheating with other sources of light.

So far, still fiddling with some settings, also, some materials need to be brighter (walls, floor, door knobs, lamp metal...)

The decals also don't seem to always work depending on the render settings, sometimes you can clearly see the geo's alpha plane borders, sometimes you don't, not sure yet which setting is causing the difference.

edited May 2018

Thanks Greg, still have to figure out what to do with the lights... whether the 'real' lights should be enough or whether I should be cheating with other sources of light.

So far, still fiddling with some settings, also, some materials need to be brighter (walls, floor, door knobs, lamp metal...)

The decals also don't seem to always work depending on the render settings, sometimes you can clearly see the geo's alpha plane borders, sometimes you don't, not sure yet which setting is causing the difference.

Looking good - the shade on the light is working well, and the fringing on the ceiling definitely adds interest. The room looks well lit to me, and the whole scene looks natural.

May be worth throwing a character or two in the scene during your lighting tests. Personally, I've found it to be especially challenging to strike the right balance between the environment and any figures in the scene since the surfacing on skin/clothes tends to be all over the map.

On another somewhat related note, I'm eager to try the NVIDIA Iray Deep Learning Denoiser in the next Beta of DS. Atmosphere is something I find lacking in the vast majority of 3d renders (presumably in part since it takes so long to render and sometimes never converges). Could be a game changer, and subtle use of it may really help light dispersion and details in shadows when rendering indoor scenes.

- Greg

• KindredArtsKindredArts Posts: 1,229

Hey strange, i'm really digging your new set, your texture work is on point. So glad to see something like this out there, as a brit i don't feel much connection with super clean up-market loft apartments. Let me know if you need a lift with your lighting too, i have some gear that can help you. Good luck! smiley

@algovincian - Do you have a source on the denoiser coming in the beta? I spotted it at siggraph but haven't heard a peep since.

edited May 2018

KindredArts - Glad you like it so far :) I might come back to your offer if I get stuck.

After browsing through your products I came up with a mesh light by the window, with morphs to move it in/out up/down left/right and change size so you ccan use it as ambient light coming in or as a more directional sun/moon... which seems to be enough to get decent results without having to crank up some of the render settings like I was doing before.
    Going back to texturing, but I might do something for the lamps too when the time comes, and material presets for all the emissives like your products have!

Greg - The shade looked nice in that render, the problem was that the environment intensity looked more like the surface of the sun than a sunny day.
    The fringing is actually an error I haven't looked at yet, texture tiling problem or broken UV, but it does add to the image, more than the cracks and some other alphas that are barely visible atm.
    Good call about adding a character, been a bit too obsessed trying to get any light in there.

Current renders with the new emissive pane by the window and minor texture tweaks:

Hey strange, i'm really digging your new set, your texture work is on point. So glad to see something like this out there, as a brit i don't feel much connection with super clean up-market loft apartments. Let me know if you need a lift with your lighting too, i have some gear that can help you. Good luck! smiley

@algovincian - Do you have a source on the denoiser coming in the beta? I spotted it at siggraph but haven't heard a peep since.

It was a post I came across here in the forums:

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/3444021/#Comment_3444021

As usual, the details will matter, but I’m looking forward to checking this out.

- Greg

edited April 2018

Mario -  haven’t taken the time to get any hard data, but it seems to me like the sun/sky is optimized and renders quicker  and with less noise than other lighting in Iray/DS.

I use a spot light as the sun node in the environment settings. It's set up not for actually emitting any light, but so you can look through it which makes it easy to see where the shadows will be cast inside the room, etc. The sun/sky also includes some dynamic color characteristics depending on angle, as well as other settings you can tweak, fwiw.

- Greg

Post edited by algovincian on
  • themidgetthemidget Posts: 287

You have some awesome work here.  Your attention to detail is unbelievable.  How much time do you spend per day on this stuff?

Thanks Midget :)

Hmm hard to pick an average of hours spent on this... there can be days where I work everyday, and others where I don't touch anything. Right now I'm probably spending 5-10 hours everyday working, weather has been uncooperative and I've been trying to maintain a working atmosphere throughout the winter when the girl learning is here working in the other room.

Greg - I'll give the Sun/Sky only a try next time thanks, watching Iray happen can feel a bit like watching paint dry when you're trying to get stuff done.

edited May 2018

Small bedroom getting there... Some furniture still looks a bit fake, need to work on the surface shine, some stuff is a bit too dark, too or not shiny enough etc etc.

• RakudaRakuda Posts: 931

Those armors are pretty cool! Like thre variety. Interesting change of direction with the interior renders and textures. Some beautiful work with textures you are doing!  The final results are some lovely renders also. 

Thanks Rakuda!

It is quite a drastic change, but it's also nice to take a break from the armors right now :)