DAZ, MD, and Traditional Pattern Making

124»

Comments

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,151

bohemian3 said:

Hiya @barbult - the Holidays and the busy start of a new semester took me away from it, but I'm back on track - I look forward to showing results soon - it's been an interesting journey.  I've gone a slightly different route using attach to measure and freeze - I should have a video soon. Thanks for checking in.

I really like the skirt - Perhaps a little more thickness around the waistband Maybe sorta? - How did you handle the closure ?  the hands covering it.  Great job on it.  And that simple fold gathering creates nice visual interest with the plaid pattern.  

So in the meantime, to be continued ...

barbult said:

So, how is your project of creating FBMs and JCMs coming along? Was lilweep's suggestion of Solidify helpful? I've been curious about all this.

Meanwhile, I tried a skirt design from my 1949 Dress Design book.

It doesn't even have a closure. It is one of those magic garments. wink It is just a simple thin MD garment. The pleats gave me enough headaches on their own, without adding any extra details.

• bohemian3bohemian3 Posts: 1,028
    edited February 2023

I needed to take a break from the coding on my Marvelous Designer - JCMs and character shapes project- though I'm making progress.  Really.  There's a lot of steps to automate, to say the least!

Not to be a total slacker, here's a few techniques I've been tinkering with.  I did some research on medieval and renaissance shirts - basically square swatches of fabrics with a few cuts and gussets to create shape instead of modern flat patterns with curves.  

One element of realistic cloth I keep coming back to is well created opacity maps in addition to transparency to give the cloth weight when folded over and to let the underlying skin add to the rendering mix.  (I should redo this render, alas - the fastners didn't export for some reason and I didn't catch it - grrr.... always something!  And I called out others for not having fastners to boot!)

Also, I imported Michael 9 as a garment instead of an avatar to create the tights.   I think that constitutes a 'derivative work' for sure - so for personal projects it's a cool technique to create tights, skin-tight clothing, etc.  Be sure to trace UV as a pattern (great technique for breathing new life into old clothing as well.)  I added some internal lines (draw on 3D pattern tool) and piping in Marvelous Designer to give the tights some interest, then in DAZ added some metallic flakes in the material for some sheen.

Fun stuff.  Very different from my sloper techniques for sure.

Images in my Gallery.

Post edited by bohemian3 on
  • lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,234

Keep up the good work. I didnt realise those medieval garments were so simplistic.

There's also always cloth subsurface properties if you wanted to be extra: https://www.daz3d.com/subsurface-workshop-sss-shaders-for-iray ;

although probably wont make much difference without backlight.

Following on from previous discussions about maintaing the overall 'shape' of a garment while simulating the garment for FBM/JCM: I recently was experimenting with simulating some .obj garments, and noted that if i used the rigid leather cloth property when simulating, it maintained the obj's folds pretty well. (So it was similar to using solidify on a normal MD garment).  I'm not sure if that approach would work for all garments, or whether it was just fluke with the garments i was animating with yesterday.

I hope you find the time and inspiration to continue the JCM project. I am intrigued by the statement about "attach to measure and freeze". I don't know what that means in regard to Marvelous Designer.

I noticed that some corners of your renaissance shirt, that appear sharp in the pattern, look rounded in the render (e.g. the cuff edges). That happens to me when I apply subD to the MD garment in Daz Studio. My workaround in MD is to add internal offset lines with a small offset near the edges and corners that I want ot keep sharp.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073

barbult said:

I hope you find the time and inspiration to continue the JCM project. I am intrigued by the statement about "attach to measure and freeze". I don't know what that means in regard to Marvelous Designer.

I noticed that some corners of your renaissance shirt, that appear sharp in the pattern, look rounded in the render (e.g. the cuff edges). That happens to me when I apply subD to the MD garment in Daz Studio. My workaround in MD is to add internal offset lines with a small offset near the edges and corners that I want ot keep sharp.

If not finishing with a retopology, I have braced edges and corners in similar way by using a separate cloth panel to split near the hem or edge, then do not merge into a single panel.  It assures that the geometry will have an edge at the panel edge.  Note - I had an older version of MD so may be quite outdated.   --- I upgraded at end of 2022 but have not had a chance to explore newer features yet.

Diomede said:

barbult said:

If not finishing with a retopology, I have braced edges and corners in similar way by using a separate cloth panel to split near the hem or edge, then do not merge into a single panel.  It assures that the geometry will have an edge at the panel edge.  Note - I had an older version of MD so may be quite outdated.   --- I upgraded at end of 2022 but have not had a chance to explore newer features yet.

I think that is essentially the same thing. The internal lines that I use, also force a line there in the topology. I'm not doing retopology either.

barbult said:

Diomede said:

barbult said:

I think that is essentially the same thing. The internal lines that I use, also force a line there in the topology. I'm not doing retopology either.

Yes, I think it has a similar effect.  I think the internal line method you describe may be superior for having a single UV panel.

edited May 2023

Pleats and Ruffs

New video out on creating pleats and ruffs.

In this video I talk about creating realistic pleats that will also simulate well.  There is an excellent pleats tool in Marvelous Design, and it can get you started.  For myself I like total control over the folding and shaping of the pleat so I create them manually.  In this video we'll look at using layers, collision thickness and sewing fold angles to get complete control over your pleats and ruffs.

I always appreciate the likes and comments on how to make my work better in the gallery:  My DAZ Gallery.

Great to see you back with another good video tutorial and bonus skirt sloper!

edited June 2023

Vanity of Vanities

One of my most ambitious Marvelous Designer projects to date.  An English court costume c. 1510, another from 'Tudor Costume and Fashion' by Herbert Norris.The sleeve textile pattern was created in Adobe Illustrator and PBR maps generated from Substance Painter.

The Skirt was created using the pleating techniques discussed in previous posts only rounded not sharp- It was needed here to create the proper shape.  Most likely the skirt would have been cut in rectangular units, but when I did that I could't get the shape I wanted. Then I added pressure and solidify to create the volume. Not as bad as it sounds with the ol' copy and paste.  But the process humbles me at the maginificent original craftsmanship that was involved in making the original physical garments.

Other DAZ products used listed in my DAZ3D Gallery

My you've been busy! I almost missed this update, because Daz doesn't send me email notifications reliably any more.

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,321

The level of accuracy and the attention to detail is truly impressive.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

nice

Wow, that is an amazing Tudor outfit.  

Thank you @Barbult, @Domede, @nonesuch00 and @FirstBastion - nice of you to take the time to comment.  I appreciate it.  More on the way.

Canterbury

So priketh hem Natúre in hir corages,
    Thanne longen folk to goon on pilgrimages.

This utilized many of the new Marvelous Designer features for the timeline - I did one character, one horse at a time.  I keyframed the horse under the character at 0 then rose to meet the character's pose in keyframe 30 to get the draping.   I'm having lots of fun simulating with multiple avatars!

Products used in my DAZ Gallery.

Inspired by the famous illustration by Gerard Horenbout, c.1523. 

Magnificent!

• richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,062
    Yep, 'magnificent' is very apt. It's both highly stylised and realistic at the same time. The draping is stunning. I dread to think how many hours of work it took you to achieve the results. Regards, Richard.