June 2015 New User Contest - Scenes and Landscapes [Entries Thread]

DollyGirlDollyGirl Posts: 2,646

New User's Contest - June 2015
Sponsored by DAZ 3D and XP Pointblank

Are you new to the 3D World? Are you at the beginning stages of learning 3D rendering? Have you been around for a little bit but feel you could benefit from some feedback or instruction? Have you been around awhile and would like to help other members start their creative journey? Well then come and join the fun as we host our newest contest...

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

"Scenes and Landscapes"

This month's focus will be scenes and landscapes. If you haven't noticed when you look at images made by the various 3D software some of the packages do a lot better then others in treating an expansive scene or a magnificent landscape. Ones that come to mind are software such as Bryce or Vue. Both have some built in features that make those wonderfully big expansive images come true. DAZ Studio on the other hand does not have any handy dandy features built into it but if you know the tricks there is no reason why you can't get those same kind of results. For this contest we will be exploring the principles of how such scenes and landscapes are built and how to control the environment to create the sense of expansiveness a scene or landscape creates for the viewer. We will be posting example images as well as some ideas on terms to search and some other tips in the WIP thread.

I will be checking in on the WIP thread as will the rest of the Community Volunteers to try and help with anything you all may need, so feel free to ask questions. Look in the WIP thread for links on Action.

For a list of the current contest rules, please see this thread : Contest Rules

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

When working on your submissions, if you would like to get feedback as you work or before posting your final image, please post your image to the WIP thread. People will be popping in to the WIP thread to give you some critique and advice on your entry and help along the way.

Please keep all comments on entries etc to the WIP thread as well because comments or requests for help/feedback/advice will be removed from the contest thread and merged into the WIP thread. This thread is only for posting final contest submissions.

For those veterans of the forums that would like to help, because this contest is designed for the beginner to learn from, we will be randomly selecting posts offering helpful tips and/or critiques to receive a special voucher as well so, whether you are a seasoned artist or an aspiring one, there is fun for everyone!

XP Pointblank has graciously agreed to award:
Choice of 1 product to each of the winners.

Closing Date: June 30, 2015

Post edited by Chohole on

Comments

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,497
    edited December 1969

- Infinito works to create landscape meshes for DS, I need to see if it still works in 4.7 or 4.8 (I haven't used it in a while).
    - I might be of help if someone wanna use Vue btw (please ping me if someone asks for help as I might not browse the thread too often..)
    - Carrara needs a mention as it's really good too for landscapes.

• DollyGirlDollyGirl Posts: 2,646
    edited December 1969

Totte said:
    - Infinito works to create landscape meshes for DS, I need to see if it still works in 4.7 or 4.8 (I haven't used it in a while).
    - I might be of help if someone wanna use Vue btw (please ping me if someone asks for help as I might not browse the thread too often..)

Thank you Totte. I know nothing about Carrara and Bryce so additional words would be most helpful. I will keep you in mind if a Vue user comes up. That is on my very long wish list. I have Blender but have only cracked the door on that one.

edited December 1969

Dollygirl said:
    Totte said:

Thank you Totte. I know nothing about Carrara and Bryce so additional words would be most helpful. I will keep you in mind if a Vue user comes up. That is on my very long wish list. I have Blender but have only cracked the door on that one.

If I get some free time (do you have any for sale??) I might try to quickly toss up "the same landscape" in Vue, Carrara and something in DS too as examples, but I can't make any promises. Been a chaotic spring

• DollyGirlDollyGirl Posts: 2,646
    edited December 1969

Totte said:
    Dollygirl said:
    Totte said:

If I get some free time (do you have any for sale??) I might try to quickly toss up "the same landscape" in Vue, Carrara and something in DS too as examples, but I can't make any promises. Been a chaotic spring

Oh that would be wonderful, if you can get to it, and no sorry free time is a scarce commodity around here too.

edited December 1969

OK, some basic "make landscapes notes".

Never have more polygons that are truly visible, below are two scenes setup, one in Vue and one in Carrara.

Vue-info.jpg
    800 x 852 - 210K
    Carrara-Info.jpg
    640 x 783 - 103K
  • XangthXangth Posts: 127
    edited December 1969

Here is my first entry for this contest;

title: Where Eagles Roam

Software used:
    Daz Studio 4.7 : Genesis Male figure
    Old Poser 3 Wolf model and indian feathers, bow and arrows
    TS4.2: dragonfly, butterfly, waterfall
    Bryce 7.1 Pro: landscape, trees, foliage, flowers, rocks.
    the scene was built, textured and rendered in Bryce.
    Render time 14 hrs
    Photoshop: some pre-render texture work
    Post Work: Some minor touch up and signed name

where_egales_roam_fi.jpg
    1200 x 563 - 844K
  • wohaverwohaver Posts: 36
    edited December 1969

Title: Tropical Cityscape

Software Used: Daz Studio 4.8 - IRay Render
    No Postwork

LandscapeEntryV1.jpg
    1500 x 927 - 1M
  • giovannipaologiovannipaolo Posts: 249
    edited December 1969

Constable's Inspiration

Background modified and enhanced using Corel Painter X3
    Image created using DAZ3D 4.7

No post work :-)

JuneLandscapeContestRevised.jpg
    2000 x 1334 - 2M
  • h_habashh_habash Posts: 230
    edited December 1969

Title: Hidden Place"

Rendered in DAZ Studio 4.8 IRay render

Scene used as Environment Background.
    Added some DAZ grass and leaves to the scene.
    All Birds and their poses are imported from Poser Pro 2014 contents
    No Post work

Hidden_Place_2-5.jpg
    1306 x 576 - 559K
  • MilosGulanMilosGulan Posts: 1,950
    edited June 2015

Title: Terrain Scan

Rendered with Bryce 7.1 Pro, just a bit of postwork.

Mostly it is just a quick terrain and small steampunk drone to the right that is scaning terrain around. I was thinking to do one more serious try but being busy I am glad I finished this one at least.

1.png
    1076 x 1076 - 1M
    Post edited by MilosGulan on
  • cherpenbeckcherpenbeck Posts: 1,409
    edited June 2015

title: Dragon Mountain

"You didn't think this place was named `Dragon Mountain´ for nothing, did you?"

DAZ-Dragon and Genesis 2 Male with Viking outfit, renderosity asteroid (for the foreground-rock) with a Bryce texture, Bryce terrain and sky, everything rendered in Bryce, postwork on the weapon's blade and the dragon's eye, cause they transferred a nearly uniform grey.

Dragon-Mountain.jpg
    1196 x 844 - 658K
    Post edited by cherpenbeck on
  • LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,795
    edited December 1969

Title: On to greener Pastures

Programm: DAZ3d 4.8, rendered in 3dlight
    Postwork: added signature in Gimp 2.8

greener-pastures-4.jpg
    1000 x 800 - 1M
  • ewcarmanewcarman Posts: 180
    edited December 1969

Title: Ghost Town

Daz 4.8 iray

No Postwork

Best Regards,
    Eric

GhostTown.jpg
    1024 x 819 - 283K
    edited December 1969

Title: Paradise

Created with:
    Daz Studio 4.8: female figure and swim suit
    Bryce Pro 7.: old dog model taken from previous scene file.
    some lowers from: http://archive3d.net/
    Photoshop: some pre-render texture work.
    The scene was built and rendered in Bryce.
    Post work: none

paradise_final.jpg
    1200 x 563 - 609K
  • LimunLimun Posts: 182
    edited December 1969

Title: Volcano lake
    Daz 4,8 with iRay
    no postwork

Thanks to Dollygirl and h_habash

land24.jpg
    1999 x 750 - 964K
  • Babalar1Babalar1 Posts: 71
    edited June 2015

Day's End

Created and rendered using Bryce 7.1
    Background fence made with Daz 4.8

Postwork border

Edit: postwork includes birds and border

landscape_final_2_resized_june24.jpg
    1063 x 819 - 720K
    Post edited by Babalar1 on
  • GallowsGallows Posts: 95
    edited December 1969

Green River

Bryce 7 Pro

Green_River.jpg
    1000 x 500 - 202K
  • kathrynlochkathrynloch Posts: 378
    edited December 1969

Title: Silent Sentries

Program: Bryce 7.1
    Postwork: Photoshop signature, light glow,grass and tree touchup.

junlelandscapecontest10aurora.jpg
    1361 x 841 - 270K
  • frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,349
    edited December 1969

The winners are:

1st - Day's End by robborfla1
    2nd - Ghost Town by ewcarman
    3rd - Where Eagles Roam by Xangth

Congratulations to the winners and a great job this month by everybody.

The winners will need to contact me by PM and give me a link to the product you want from XP Pointblank store.

edited December 1969

Congratulations to The winners robborfla1, ewcarman, and Xangth, you've done a wonderful work, and your landscaping scenes excellent.

• LimunLimun Posts: 182
    edited December 1969

Congratulations to the winners also from me
    good job guys

• ewcarmanewcarman Posts: 180
    edited July 2015

Thank you all very much and especially to all those who provided feedback. I learned a ton - especially what I still have to learn.

And congratulations to the other winners.

Best Regards,
    Eric

Post edited by ewcarman on
  • Babalar1Babalar1 Posts: 71
    edited December 1969

Thanks judges and congrats to ewcarman and xangth on your terrific renders. I'm glad to be recognized along side you both. The best part of these contests is it shows how everyone who participates and works hard to improve has a chance of winning at least once. Thanks limun and h_habash.

edited December 1969

Thanks judges and congrats to ewcarman and xangth on your terrific renders. I'm glad to be recognized along side you both. The best part of these contests is it shows how everyone who participates and works hard to improve has a chance of winning at least once. Thanks limun and h_habash.

You're Welcome robborfla1, It was my pleasure to participate in this forum, I've learned a lot of things here, and willing to learn more in future contests.

Thanks to all, and I'm waiting for July contest to participate...... :)

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,349
    edited December 1969

That is exactly how things are suppose to be. We encourage people to post to the WIP threads for maximum learning and possible ideas. We have a great group of people that can work you through any issue you may have. If we can't answer you question we find someone who can. At least we try.

edited December 1969

Wow thank you, and congrats to robborfla1 and ewcarman. Everyone did a fantastic job I thought. Thanks to you all and to the DAZ crew as I always learn and greatly enjoy the great line of DAZ products and creations and the art we all strive to create and make better. I hope and wish everyone a happy and safe 4th of July Holiday

• kathrynlochkathrynloch Posts: 378
    edited December 1969

Congrats to robborfla1, ewcarman, and Xangth!

Those are some absolutely lovely renders and very, very deserving of the wins! Some gorgeous work!

The competition was really stiff for this one with lots of beautiful work - everyone should be proud of themselves.

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,795
    edited December 1969

Congrats to the winners, very well done!
    There were a lot of good work and I'm still impressed. Thanks for suggestions and help from everyone. I had a lot more fun than I expected in the beginning.

• Belated congratulations to the winners, and well done everybody!