W.I.P MEC4D City of London Police officer uniform from the late 19th century [commercial]

MEC4DMEC4D Posts: 5,249
edited December 1969 in The Commons

I got inspired by the last set by Stefan the Streets of London and doing some clothing for characters
here some work in progress , still modeling , everything no textured all Zbrush materials preview in Open GL

finishing modeling the jacket

cpblue34567.jpg
1517 x 1138 - 572K
cpblue3456.jpg
1517 x 1138 - 725K
cpblue345.jpg
1517 x 1138 - 800K
cpblue34.jpg
1517 x 1138 - 974K
references_cp.jpg
1000 x 1000 - 421K

Comments

• ScavengerScavenger Posts: 2,664
    edited December 1969

You're stuff really wants to make me expand the genres I play in. Just all of it is so dynamic looking.

• VhardamisVhardamis Posts: 576
    edited December 1969

Looking great, this will be amazing when yer done I can already tell.

• HavosHavos Posts: 5,306
    edited December 1969

Looks great so far, I particularly like the chain, which I assume is needed for his whistle.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560
    edited December 1969

Wow! This looks amazing. Excellent work.

Now, if only there was a Sherlock and Doctor Watson!

• MEC4DMEC4D Posts: 5,249
    edited December 1969

Thank you everyone.. can I spoil the surprise? Sherlock and Doctor Watson coming after !!! and of course some criminal .. what about Jack? lol

• StonemasonStonemason Posts: 1,160
    edited December 1969

awesome!..great to see the Victorian era getting some love :)

• VhardamisVhardamis Posts: 576
    edited December 1969

MEC4D said:
    Thank you everyone.. can I spoil the surprise? Sherlock and Doctor Watson coming after !!! and of course some criminal .. what about Jack? lol

Jack would be good or if nothing else go with the main stay Moriarty. I always loved how most portrayals of him have him in a tux with a half cape, monocle and top hat as if hes going to the opera. Such a dashing villain.

Moriarty.png
    400 x 587 - 452K
  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560
    edited December 1969

Wow! I'm impressed. Perhaps some thugs or er... Urchins? The streets of old London I'm sure was a dangerous place!

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,945
    edited December 1969

Slap the darby's on, you're nicked me old china ... :)

• nobody1954nobody1954 Posts: 933
    edited December 1969

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!!

• JennKJennK Posts: 834
    edited May 2015

Thank you so much. I look forward to this one and the next ones :cheese:

Post edited by JennK on
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the nice comments !

Some update from the work in progress .. dong in the main time also the Helmet , colors and some stuff just temporary for visualization

helmet1.jpg
    1507 x 936 - 545K
    helmet2.jpg
    1507 x 936 - 569K
    helmet3.jpg
    1507 x 936 - 712K
    helmet4.jpg
    1507 x 936 - 799K
    helmet5.jpg
    1507 x 936 - 794K
  • WilmapWilmap Posts: 2,917
    edited December 1969

A must have I think!!

Looking great.

edited December 1969

Thanks, especially if you go for Streets of London ;)

wilmap said:
    A must have I think!!

Looking great.

helmet7.jpg
    1507 x 936 - 407K
    helmet6.jpg
    1507 x 936 - 510K
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited May 2015

I would think it should have the ubiquitous UK policeman helmet as worn by London Bobbies.

http://www.1900s.org.uk/1900s-policemen.htm http://www.metpolicehistory.co.uk/1900-1945.html

These are iconic :coolsmirk: http://hatguide.co.uk/ adopted in 1863 to replace the top hat.

The city of London is only a small part of London, The Metropolitan Police force is the main police force for London.

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

Thanks Chohole my set is Victorian, little early than you show in the link bellow there is not much info about 1854-87 .. the helmet changed in the 1900
    my set is based on reference from museum it was based originally on the Victorian Army uniform , it is rare and Victorian that why I am doing it
    I did good research before I decided what I want to do.
    Also the Victorian uniform looked different for each range
    and it may be just a small part of London but so is also Stonemason's set lol j/k

chohole said:
    I would think it should have the ubiquitous UK policeman helmet as worn by London Bobbies.

http://www.1900s.org.uk/1900s-policemen.htm http://www.metpolicehistory.co.uk/1900-1945.html

These are iconic :coolsmirk: http://hatguide.co.uk/ adopted in 1863 to replace the top hat.

The city of London is only a small part of London, The Metropolitan Police force is the main police force for London.

• DogzDogz Posts: 896
    edited December 1969

Here's an amusing the fact:
    While Americans sometimes still refer to London Police officers as 'bobbies', the 'youth' in London refer to them as 'the FED's' :P

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited May 2015

As my last link states, the custodian helmet was adopted in 1863 and it replaced the top hat that constables previously wore.

If certain, semi-private, police forces wore a different one, it is not the norm, and the helmet shown in my links was worn by most UK police forces from 1863 onwards. No British person would recognise the army style helmet you are showing as an iconic British policeman. That is not the iconic British policeman's helmet. When Victoria first came to the throne there were no real "police forces" as such, mostly Watchmen and of course the Bow Street Runners. Then Robert Peel instituted the first police forces, which came to be known as Peelers. Victorian policemen wore top hats until around the 1860's

And Stonemason's set says merely "The streets of London." To British people the "City" is the original one square mile which houses the financial district. The actual city is extended in all directions around the core financial district, and some of Stonemasons images are not of buildings within the "City" The "City" does have a habit of being different in some things. You only have to look at the uniforms worn by Bank of England messengers to see what I mean. About a third of the Messengers wore the Bank livery of black trousers, pink tail coat, scarlet waistcoat and silk top hat.

My thought was that to make the set containing a more widely used helmet, rather than one worn in a very small area of London would make the set more useful.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • rbel_295e7c1d4crbel_295e7c1d4c Posts: 99
    edited December 1969

Absolutely wonderful. If you are going to develop Holmes and Watson it would be very in keeping to use Jeremy Brett or Basil Rathbone as the reference models for Holmes.

• 3Ddreamer3Ddreamer Posts: 1,282
    edited December 1969

Great! Just what we need for Stonemason's set :-) And for clothes, go Jeremy Brett rather than Rathbone please. Depending when these are out I have a Sherlockian friend who is going to love her Christmas Card this year. Thank You.

• WilmapWilmap Posts: 2,917
    edited May 2015

Have to agree with chohole. Being British I wouldn't recognize that helmet as being a Victorian policeman's one. The images in choholes thread a more the kind of thing I think of.

Post edited by Wilmap on
    edited December 1969

Thank you my dear for the info, I know it all , I do my home work always ..

but for today

I am doing CITY OF LONDON POLICE 1865-1887 uniform the first version in 3D ever made !!!

the rest is not important at this moment
    and with Stonemason set I was kidding as you noticed [j/k]
    if I find more time I can make additional Metropolitan police version

chohole said:
    As my last link states, the custodian helmet was adopted in 1863 and it replaced the top hat that constables previously wore.

If certain, semi-private, police forces wore a different one, it is not the norm, and the helmet shown was worn by most UK police forces from 1863 onwards. No British person would recognise the army style helmet you are showing as an iconic British policeman. That is not the iconic British policeman's helmet.

And Stonemason's set says merely "The streets of London." To British people the "City" is the original one square mile which houses the financial district. The actual city is extended in all directions around the core financial district, and some of Stonemasons images are not of buildings within the "City" The "City" does have a habit of being different in some things. You only have to look at the uniforms worn by Bank of England messengers to see what I mean. About a third of the Messengers wore the Bank livery of black trousers, pink tail coat, scarlet waistcoat and silk top hat.

edited December 1969

The subject say City of London Police not London Bobby or Metropolitan so no reason for arguments
    Manchester police used the same helmet as City of London in 1880 just different metal front plate , the same helmets was used in North Ireland and later also in USA
    bellow police from Manchester , 1880s the uniforms are almost the same as City if London police

wilmap said:
    Have to agree with chohole. Being British I wouldn't recognize that helmet as being a Victorian policeman's one. The images in choholes thread a more the kind of thing I think of.
    peeler1.jpg
    506 x 335 - 46K
    368.jpg
    596 x 768 - 45K
    edited December 1969

and one more info for others ... as you see Metropolitan police was wearing as well combed back helmets as the City of London Police in the same period of time.. just as info :P

metropolitan-helmet.jpg
    1128 x 684 - 231K
  • Daz Jack TomalinDaz Jack Tomalin Posts: 13,125
    edited December 1969

MEC4D said:

Hey, it's nothing to do with me ;)

edited December 1969

Lol no nothing to do with you Jack hahahah the reason I put LOL after "Jack" it was the Jack the Ripper of course

MEC4D said:

Hey, it's nothing to do with me ;)

• KinnieMKinnieM Posts: 130
    edited May 2015

Mec4D, wow!
    I am from Newfoundland, Canada (now a province of Canada and an island in the Atlantic ocean) and that uniform is pretty dead on for what the police force wore here during the 19th century. During the Victorian time period Newfoundland was actually a part of the UK and not Canada.

For me that uniform (especially the helmet) represents the mid-Victorian era police force. Great job on modeling it and can't wait to see it go live.

Post edited by KinnieM on
    edited December 1969

In this time this type uniform was popular from America -Europe to South Italy and Portugal especially the Custodian helmet type

bellow Cheshire UK Constabulary Bobby's Helmet
    also Manchester police wearing the same type today .. I am not British but picture say more than 1000 words about this type of helmet

Not forget to mention that City of London police protected the historic core of London back in time .There has been some form of policing in the City of London since Roman times.The current City Police Headquarters is built on part of the site of the Roman fortress that probably housed some of the City’s first “police".​​

that was the reason I choice this historic uniform so popular across the world in place of the typical London Bobby

KinnieM said:
    Mec4D, wow!
    I am from Newfoundland, Canada (now a province of Canada and an island in the Atlantic ocean) and that uniform is pretty dead on for what the police force wore here during the 19th century. During the Victorian time period Newfoundland was actually a part of the UK and not Canada.

For me that uniform represents the Victorian era police force and not the military. Great job on modeling it and can't wait to see it go live.

police-helmet-392913113.jpg
    615 x 409 - 40K
    modernuniform.jpg
    468 x 622 - 73K
    _80440000_minersstrike.jpg
    624 x 396 - 44K
    cheshire_constabulary_bobby_helmet_2.jpg
    400 x 507 - 36K
  • BlumBlumShubBlumBlumShub Posts: 1,108
    edited December 1969

A Victorian Copper! What a great idea.

But surely if our Victoria was a copper she'd wear a skimpy bra and a miniskirt made out of string.

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    edited December 1969

Looks good to me :)
    Obviously helmet styles varied from force to force and over time, but they're all pretty recognisable as an "English Bobby helmet".
    I remember as a kid we used to play a game, "Knock the helmet off the policeman." Oh how they did chase us! I don't think we'd play it nowadays though.