More Non-photorealistic Renders (NPR III)

Comments

• vrba79vrba79 Posts: 1,297

The one tone method kind of reminds me of the Ralph Bakshi version of Lord of the Rings, where they used live actors and rotoscoped them.

• csaacsaa Posts: 812
    edited April 2022

Updates to my post earlier today. I was trying out different low-poly hair styles along with CSP backgrounds.

Not really sure which of the three hairstyles I'll settle with. What do you think?

Cheers!

Sgt. Inez: Various hairstyles and backgrounds | Daz assets & setup | Blender Eevee render | Clip Studio Paint post-edit

Post edited by csaa on
  • @csaa , thats amazing!!

edited April 2022

juvesatriani said:

@csaa , thats amazing!!

juvesatriani,

Thank you. For G8F, the eyebrows and hair can produce large OBJ files. I've been trying to find ways to decimate them; alternately I pick the ones that have simpler geometry, such as these low-poly hair. Either way, the trade-off is a hair asset that looks blocky and lacks fine strands for added detail. But for NPR we can make do with that. After all, once we step away from realism, we can do a decent enough job that the viewer will "fill in" the shortcomings with their imagination.

Cheers!

Post edited by csaa on

I've been trying to make Sketchy give me PWToon-style looks. Today I accidentally achieved a VSS-style look with it.

More of her.

This look is really growing on me. I don't even need to post work it.

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,120

I think that's your best work yet.

Thanks! Thus far this method looks great with every skin tone I've thrown at it. Gonna change up the base textures to see if It'll work with makeup and the like too!

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,317

vrba79 said:

This look is really growing on me. I don't even need to post work it.

This is a great toon style,  and a great character too.

Yeah, she's a cutie. Might use her in something.

I'm feeling lousy today, so I didn't feel like making a whole tutorial, but here's a cliff notes version of how I got this look.

• HylasHylas Posts: 4,767

^ some of the better IRAY toon renders I've seen!

Thanks. Sketchy Toon is great potential, but its documentation is not the most straight forward, so this was all from muddling my way through it.

edited April 2022

@vrba79, thanks for sharing the Sketchy iRay settings you used. Glad to see you're getting a handle on this. Maybe revive VRBA's World of NPR to have a more exclusive and cohesive showcase of your evolving techniques?

@Hylas, why be a spectator when you can pitch in. The rules and expectations for NPR style images are pretty loose, so whenever you feel the need to try this out, you're always welcome to do so.

Cheers!

Post edited by csaa on
  • HylasHylas Posts: 4,767

csaa said:

@Hylas, why be a spectator when you can pitch in. The rules and expectations for NPR style images are pretty loose, so whenever you feel the need to try this out, you're always welcome to do so.

Dude, convince my boss to let me work less for the same pay, and I'll render more, NPR and otherwise!

I'm currently spending what little time I have for rendering working on a story but it's NSFW, so I can't showcase it here.

Hylas said:

Dude, convince my boss to let me work less for the same pay, and I'll render more, NPR and otherwise!

I'm currently spending what little time I have for rendering working on a story but it's NSFW, so I can't showcase it here.

@Hylas,

Though I've only been active on the Forum for a short while, I couldn't help but notice that you're one of those fellows who regularly comment on the threads. Your like one of the 'people in the neighborhood.' We're all busy one of way or another, but it's good to be part of a regular community.

Best wishes to the story your working, however NSFW it may be.

Cheers!

• SapphireBlueSapphireBlue Posts: 831
    edited April 2022

I've been checking into the NPR and anime pages from time to time, interested in all the various approaches everyone shares.
    vrba79 I like your Sketchy renders a lot. I've had Sketchy for a while, but have been a little afraid to use it... Might have to wade into it soon...
    csaa I really like your high contrast toon/npr renders. That BW style is very cool!

One thing led to another, and I created a male character preset "Kaito" for Sakura 8 yesterday. I was experimenting with some different graphic looks for some future projects and thought I'd share. (I have to tweak the lighting to get things more even, but this was just something quick to test out.)
    The first image is a regular render of Sakura and Kaito with filters in postwork. The second is rendered using manga markers, which I really like, especially since it's so easy to use, with added line work in post. The third image is with a BW filter etc. Any suggestions / feedback is welcome!

LI - Sakura 8 And Kaito NPR.jpg
    1000 x 816 - 662K
    Post edited by SapphireBlue on
    edited April 2022

Thanks. I was bound and determined to brute-force Sketchy Toon into doing something I could use. I sound like a broken record at this point, but the documentation for it is very lacking.

An option that works well with postwork are the "My Shaders" bundles for Iray, which simplifies materials into something less photo-realistic looking.

Post edited by vrba79 on
  • Sketchy Toon definitely feels like a lot of work, vrba79. Thanks for mentioning the "My Shaders"! I have the first "My Shaders" volume, but haven't tried it out yet... blush Will do so next...

SapphireBlue,

Thanks for the kind words! I never heard of Manga Markers before you mentioned it. I didn't realize you could use it on G8 males as well. @juvesatriani is another fellow who's contributed regularly to this NPR thread. He's good cool pwToon + !JSFLAT renders.

Hope to see more from you.

Cheers!

SapphireBlue said:

One thing led to another, and I created a male character preset "Kaito" for Sakura 8 yesterday. I was experimenting with some different graphic looks for some future projects and thought I'd share. (I have to tweak the lighting to get things more even, but this was just something quick to test out.)

The first image is a regular render of Sakura and Kaito with filters in postwork. The second is rendered using manga markers, which I really like, especially since it's so easy to use, with added line work in post. The third image is the manga markers render with a high contrast BW filter etc. Any suggestions / feedback is welcome!

Despite two characters, this rendered in under 30 seconds.

Sketchy does not seem to be a good fit for indoor scenes with closed archetecture though. In that regard it acts a bit like 3DL surfaces.

• SapphireBlueSapphireBlue Posts: 831
    edited April 2022

Thanks @csaa! Manga markers has generic skin and fabric shaders that can go on anything, so it's rather handy!

30s? Oof, super fast! @vrba79
    I'm very happy with the faster time for toon renders - it's definitely one big plus!

Tried out the "My Shaders" in a quick test last night, and it's definitely easy to use with great results for the base shaders. Thanks again for reminding me of that set! : )

Post edited by SapphireBlue on

"My Shaders" seems to be made with "I'm gonna post work this!" in mind.

• vrba79 said:

"My Shaders" seems to be made with "I'm gonna post work this!" in mind.

For sure, but it definitely makes for a better starting point! I've been using it more today and it makes a welcome difference. : )

Yeah, they strip out all of the extra stuff you wouldn't need for an NPR render, thus cutting down the rendering times further.

edited April 2022

I may have shared one of these before, but here's the complete set. Thanks for your interest.

Cheers!

Sgts. Andrea, Inez and Cleo | Daz assets and set up | Blender Eevee render | Clip Studio Paint post-edit

Post edited by csaa on
  • Very cool csaa!