Ships of the Line - MEGA THREAD - **Updated 2019-03-28**

Comments

• EveniosEvenios Posts: 119

yeah i think it deserves a little bump ;-).

• Evenios said:

Does that mean we all have to hold on to the Bridge railings and sway back and forth when one of the mods posts "now!" ...?  

• Evenios said:

Does that mean we all have to hold on to the Bridge railings and sway back and forth when one of the mods posts "now!" ...?  

Re-initializing the Inertial Dampers could solve this problem. :-)

• ZarconDeeGrissomZarconDeeGrissom Posts: 5,412
    edited November 2015

Interesting list. I see three ships I would not mind having (Prometheus, Sulaco and DropShip, and Nostromo), tho they are in some "lwo" format. I get the feeling that Daz Studio would just puke that out as complete junk, lol.

Nice Stargate collection as well there at Foundation3D, tho I'm not seeing a Beliskner, what is up with that. Oh, there is one in here, I'm curios if it is any good for close up shots, tho I'm kind of expecting it to be on the edge of not worth my effort getting it into Studio.

http://omar.hydra-matic.com/3D/Models/Fiction/stargate/index.html

There is one other ship I would like (allot), tho I'm not seeing it there at Foundation3D. I did find it elsewhere, tho one version is just plain ugly looking (the more expensive one at that, lol), and the bottom of other the other one is, well, missing. Not to say, I'm unsure enough about that "OBJ 2009" thing and "no UV mapping", to just not spend the funds for it.

So, about those LWO files. How do I get them into Studio? What Do I do With these files? Or is this only going to end up like the "Poser Only" trek ships I've tried?

SomethingMissingHere_ItWasAlmostAnInstantBuyForMe_001.png
    695 x 775 - 129K
    GreywolfStarkiller_Miranda_01002a.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 188K
    GreywolfStarkiller_Miranda_01002c_PolygonHell001.png
    1832 x 341 - 52K
    LightwaveOnlyFiles_WhatNow_001.png
    781 x 576 - 35K
    LightwaveOnlyFiles_WhatNow_002.png
    275 x 93 - 2K
    Post edited by ZarconDeeGrissom on
  • hphoenixhphoenix Posts: 1,335
    edited November 2015

So, about those LWO files. How do I get them into Studio? What Do I do With these files? Or is this only going to end up like the "Poser Only" trek ships I've tried?

.LWO is a LightWave Object file.  Lots of 3D modelling programs can import them.  There are also free online 3D format converters which convert many 3D formats (including .lwo files).....like this one:  http://www.greentoken.de/onlineconv/

Realize that most .lwo files will be static meshes, and that most converters are not going to be able to parse lightwave skelegons into bones and such.

So have the converter change it to a WaveFront OBJ file.  Then import the OBJ into DAZ.

Post edited by hphoenix on
  • Sky77Sky77 Posts: 820

Interesting list. I see three ships I would not mind having (Prometheus, Sulaco and DropShip, and Nostromo), tho they are in some "lwo" format. I get the feeling that Daz Studio would just puke that out as complete junk, lol.

Not sure if you knew about these or not, but there is a DAZ / Poser ready Sulaco and Dropship as well as other Aliens goodies for free at Ontarget3d.com:

http://www.ontarget3d.com/site/Products/938-aliens-sulaco-for-poser.aspx  (Sulaco)

http://www.ontarget3d.com/site/Products/941-aliens-dropship-for-poser.aspx (Dropship)

edited November 2015

I'll give that a try, and I just had a random thought of using the Hexagon bridge to try to preserve the UV mapping.

One of the online converters kept UV mapping everything to a single pixl, lol.

(EDIT) Scratch reading Lightwave with Hex. Ity was a thought.

LightwaveOnlyFiles_WhatNow_003.png
    957 x 638 - 59K
  • Sorry Skywalker77, I fell asleep at the keyboard in the middle of typing my former post. That DropShip looks phenomenal compared to some others I' seen. That Sulaco also looks really good, tho I'm not sure about that "hinged door" bit. The Poser version dose give me a bit of a concern, as quite allot has changed from what I've read. It's free, so not complaining, just asking if it'll work in Studio 4.8 (without having Poser available), lol.

So yea, I was looking at the Sulaco from Foundation3D, and was unsure if the promo was lacking or if it was just not all that great. The "Prometheus WIP" looks fantastic in the promo pic. And I don't think I've ever seen a bang-on Nostromo anywhere, allot of really good ones that come close. In honesty, 1.63MB Sulaco that looks dated like a 1995 quake model, 4.8MB Nostromo that looks better tho I'm not pulling out my blueprints, and a 176MB Prometheus that has a breathtaking promo pic. All of it is for Lightwave, that figures.

Switching universe, B5 ships. Foundation3D has a nice looking list of B5 ships including a EA Shadow Hyperion Cruiser, and EA Shadow Polaris Dreadnought (honestly those ones are not the best I've seen). Tho I did not notice a XOD or 'My ship'. My order must really be elusive or absent over there, lol. Lets see if the link works.

http://www.foundation3d.com/index.php?categoryid=38&p13_sectionid=382&p13_fileid=697

Oh that is nice, sold. They have that, just not the XOD variant. Awaiting on the sign up process there.

(back to the TurboSquid site)

I did find some ten dollar (not free) really nice looking NASA related models, that I'm considering, if the 'yes' on "UV Mapped" is for the OBJ, not just the 3DS/MAX/C4D. I'll check with the free scavenged stuff from TurboSquid first. They also have some heart attack invoking prices on stuff as well, that I'm just not willing to give the lack of "Studio" listings a first chance with.

So I have a few tricks to try. Thanks hphoenix and Skywalker77.

• Skywalker77, there appears to be a small difficulty with accessing that Sulaco model, lol. I may try to register again later on, if they manage to fix whatever that "Internal error" is.

Also, as pointed out in the beginning of this thread, it can take days for Foundation3D to process a registration request, and it hasn't been eight hours yet. So stagnation it is for a bit I guess.

RegisterError_20151105_1857utc_001.png
    787 x 299 - 15K
  • Well, for now, I cannot even access the foundation3d website... downforeveryoneorjustme.com also tells me the website is currently down.

• Sky77Sky77 Posts: 820

Skywalker77, there appears to be a small difficulty with accessing that Sulaco model, lol. I may try to register again later on, if they manage to fix whatever that "Internal error" is.

Also, as pointed out in the beginning of this thread, it can take days for Foundation3D to process a registration request, and it hasn't been eight hours yet. So stagnation it is for a bit I guess.

It's been a while since I've looked at it.  I'll have to try downloading it when I get home tonight.  I haven't downloaded anything from that site for a while.

For Babylon 5 stuff, have you checked out Daniel181's collection on ShareCG?  I think he converted some of these from other sites but I'm not sure:  Daniel181 at ShareCG

edited November 2015

OK, looking at the pages of ships he has now (I just got home). Some of them look really nice, I'll toss them into Studio shortly.

As for that Sulaco model, I know it's probably nit-picking (I have a concern). In front of the DropShip hanger door, is a gun turret And then random equipment. I don't see a hint of a hinged hatch like what is in that model from OnTarget3D (It's quite different, IF it is a door there), lol. If it can be closed in Daz Studio it's a non issue, hence my concern. It's a Poser format, and Studio deals with OBJ seams welds quite differently. It has already caused an issue with a different ship for some one else.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/850093/#Comment_850093

If that door is stuck open on the Sulaco, it makes the entire thing useless to me. I like the model from OnTarget3D, I just have doubts about how it functions in Studio.

(Attached Photos for reference only. photos are from the collection of Mark Dickson) http://www.starshipmodeler.com/tech/othr_ref.htm

SULACO_-_17.JPG
    600 x 393 - 75K
    SULACO_-_20.JPG
    600 x 394 - 69K
    SULACO_-_13.JPG
    600 x 388 - 71K
  • MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,860

I can no longer update the OP so here is a new link to the conversion tutorial

3D Model Conversions Tutorial: https://mega.nz/#!74ZmHAra!5c5IGmGqGrC4zf0L6rV4Qyjs0-IP6YU_3TLA0NsM3DI

• Zarcon, (or anybody else :) ) are there still LWO models you'd like to look at?  I can give them a try if I can get a specific link.

Some models have massive amounts of itemized surfaces, (Window A1, Window A2...) making modification or conversion tedious and time consuming.  Others have polygons drawn in the wrong direction, causing flipped normals which is what makes the render defects mentioned early in the thread.  Also note that some LWO may not be mapped at all due to the ability to use procedural textures in LightWave to do some really nice stuff.

Due to these issues and lack of unified bone/joint/part systems, some models may be prohibitively difficult to export for other programs.  Others can be easy, so we never know until we kick the tires and peek under the hood.

VoltisArt said:

Zarcon, (or anybody else :) ) are there still LWO models you'd like to look at?  I can give them a try if I can get a specific link.

It may be best to contact him directly.

edited November 2016

Or let me have some coffee after such a horrendous lack of sleep, lol. I didn't know box trucks could be so noisy, that or the Norumbega fault line open up again (look over at the seismographs), na just box trucks.

There is a few ships that I'm curious if they got addressed, tho they were imports from poser not light wave. Most notably was the doors sticking to things on a particular Millennium falcon, was that ever fixed (The thread was somewhere around here)... One of the ship-name zones had some orientation difficulties on a trek ship saucer section (I don't remember what one it was from shareCG, the up-loader admitted it was a difficulty they did not know how to fix). It looked like the UV mapping had some zones piled up on top of each other, and some UV mapping software dose not play nice with that.  I do not 'Need' that stuff fixed for an eminent project that dose not exist, it is only a curiosity of "did they fix that" or move on to other stuff.

As for non-Daz3d ships. I did find a few really nice looking preliminary models, tho they were horribly incomplete to put it lightly (like missing the entire lower section of the hull). It was not a free site, and at the price they were asking for the incomplete ship, I don't think so.  Some day I'll just make my own Destiny with rigged intakes and stuff, lol.   Right now I'm behind the ball on a gym set, so not today.

Destiny_sgu0107-0010xx_W700_ForRefOnly.jpg
    700 x 394 - 174K

There is a few ships that I'm curious if they got addressed, tho they were imports from poser not light wave. Most notably was the doors sticking to things on a particular Millennium falcon, was that ever fixed (The thread was somewhere around here)... One of the ship-name zones had some orientation difficulties on a trek ship saucer section (I don't remember what one it was from shareCG, the up-loader admitted it was a difficulty they did not know how to fix). It looked like the UV mapping had some zones piled up on top of each other, and some UV mapping software dose not play nice with that.  I do not 'Need' that stuff fixed for an eminent project that dose not exist, it is only a curiosity of "did they fix that" or move on to other stuff.

As for non-Daz3d ships. I did find a few really nice looking preliminary models, tho they were horribly incomplete to put it lightly (like missing the entire lower section of the hull). It was not a free site, and at the price they were asking for the incomplete ship, I don't think so.  Some day I'll just make my own Destiny with rigged intakes and stuff, lol.   Right now I'm behind the ball on a gym set, so not today.

The only one who can "fix" the Falcon is Vanishing Point.

The main problem with converting models from one file type to another is that each program handles things differently.  Lightwave and 3D Studio Max allow for images to be used on the mesh in ways that normal OBJ does not support so remapping them to work with other programs becomes very tidious at best.  IF you know how to UV map.

In my time of converting models, I would say that the ratio of success to failer is 2:1

• VoltisArtVoltisArt Posts: 212
    edited November 2016

After some difficulty logging in to Foundation3D, I now have both versions of the model, LWO and Poser.  Will have a look when I can.

Matty, other than permission from Andy Crook, which seems to be given in the original (LWO) readme, why would VP need to be involved?

Post edited by VoltisArt on
    edited November 2016
    VoltisArt said:

After some difficulty logging in to Foundation3D, I now have both versions of the model, LWO and Poser.  Will have a look when I can.

Matty, other than permission from Andy Crook, which seems to be given in the original (LWO) readme, why would VP need to be involved?

I thought the model was a VP exclusive.  I never looked at the details.  Fix away then I guess.

There is also aFalcon interior over at F3D - http://www.foundation3d.com/index.php?categoryid=38&p13_sectionid=211&p13_fileid=637 - It was one of the first i converted but it was done in poser before I knew what I was doing.  See if you can do that one in DS as you should be able to scale them together properly.

Post edited by Mattymanx on
  • njsnjs Posts: 71

There seems to be a problem with Foundation3D website.

Warning: mysql_connect() [function.mysql-connect]: Too many connections in /home/found3d/public_html/includes/db/mysql.php on line 43

Warning: mysql_select_db(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /home/found3d/public_html/includes/db/mysql.php on line 53

Warning: mysql_get_server_info(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /home/found3d/public_html/includes/db/mysql.php on line 57

Error: The specified URL could not be found.
    The page may have been deleted.

Click here to go to the home page.
  • tkdroberttkdrobert Posts: 3,532
    njs said:

There seems to be a problem with Foundation3D website.

Warning: mysql_connect() [function.mysql-connect]: Too many connections in /home/found3d/public_html/includes/db/mysql.php on line 43

Warning: mysql_select_db(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /home/found3d/public_html/includes/db/mysql.php on line 53

Warning: mysql_get_server_info(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /home/found3d/public_html/includes/db/mysql.php on line 57

Error: The specified URL could not be found.
    The page may have been deleted.

Click here to go to the home page.

They stopped accepting new registrations, so I can't get anything from them.

Ok, thanks. It seems like I can't get anything from them either.

• same can't get anything either darn shame there was so great stuff there.

I've tried and tried again to contact the administrator of Foundation3D.

Still, no response.

Sorry everyone, there is nothing I can do about the present condition of F3D.

That's ok Mattymanx, we all did our best at Foundation3D.

• Yup no problem MattyMax we made our best attempts I was looking forward to that  Romulan Warbird Vladore. ;)

• Working on a Trek project to amuse myself.

Animating in Daz, rendering in Reality\Luxrender, and then compositing with live action in HF.

Nice composition! It really looks cool!

About a week ago, I registered myself on Foundation3D. I haven't been able to download lightsabers from the resources yet because I may have to be patient for my account to be activated.

So it may be a week or a month before I get a valid script from them.