DELETE

davesodaveso Posts: 6,438
edited October 2021 in The Commons

DELETE

Post edited by daveso on

Comments

• NylonGirlNylonGirl Posts: 1,501

If you have any Victoria 4 stuff that was working, it's not going to work after the reinstall. I had a heck of a time getting my favorite V4 characters back after switching to a new computer.

• davesodaveso Posts: 6,438
    edited October 2021

DELETE

Post edited by daveso on
    edited October 2021

DELETE

Post edited by daveso on
  • The WIndows uninstall will not list things installed through oen of the Daz installer applications. Things suddenly listed as unisntalled sounds like a database issue - connection or contents.

• Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,322
    edited November 2020

Good Luck !

I am in the process of doing much the same thing on my backup computer. I used DIM to uninstall verything except DIM, DS 4.14, and postgre. Unfortunately DIM downloads are failing for maybe 10 to 20% of the items. Also at one time I stopped the downloads and closed DIM. When I restarted DIM no products were showing in the download pane. This has now been resolved but I am still getting the many download failures

Post edited by Charlie Judge on
  • AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140

Reinstalling everything is NOT something I would do in the middle of this site fiasco. Gawd, knows the site is bad enough - why make yourself more miserable? LOL Of course, if you wait, heaven only knows when they'll have this mess fixed.

Laurie

• AllenArt said:

Reinstalling everything is NOT something I would do in the middle of this site fiasco. Gawd, knows the site is bad enough - why make yourself more miserable? LOL Of course, if you wait, heaven only knows when they'll have this mess fixed.

Laurie

In my case I didn't have much choice. Something, maybe the Windows 10 update, messed up my file and DS couldn't find most of my installed files.

edited October 2021

DELETE

Post edited by daveso on
    edited October 2021

DELETE

Post edited by daveso on
    edited November 2020
    daveso said:

and it takes a long time to delete 1.3 terrabytes of stuff. my computer is running faster alreadty. If I didn;t have so much money invested in this program I would leave it off my system. 

Is that all ? I have almost 3 terrabytes that I deleted   That took about  a day; but downloading and reinstalling it all is taking several days. I just let DIM run continuosly and play on my main computer.

edited October 2021

DELETE

Post edited by daveso on
    edited October 2021

DELETE

Post edited by daveso on
    edited October 2021

DELETE

Post edited by daveso on
  • Do you see any version of DS? Did you double check your filters?

• zombietaggerungzombietaggerung Posts: 3,648
    edited December 2020

https://www.daz3d.com/downloader/customer/files#prod_13176

Click the little blue arrow to open the "description" and the manual downloads are hidden in there.

DIM download link: https://www.daz3d.com/install-manager-info

Post edited by zombietaggerung on
    edited December 2020
    daveso said:

OOPS so far ... Where is DS 4.14? When I try to download, it goes to DAZ Central. I refuse to put tha ton my system again. 
    Did a search for DIM .. nothing came up. Maybe I'm done with DAZ.

Do you have DIM installed ? It  may be available in your DIM downloads

edited October 2021

DELETE

Post edited by daveso on
    edited October 2021

DELETE

Post edited by daveso on
    edited October 2021

DELETE

Post edited by daveso on
    AllenArt said:

Laurie

In my case I didn't have much choice. Something, maybe the Windows 10 update, messed up my file and DS couldn't find most of my installed files.

sad Windows 10 is the reason I'm still on Windows 8.1

daveso said:

Click the little blue arrow to open the "description" and the manual downloads are hidden in there.

thanks ... i downloaded. 

I use Revo Uninstaller. It usually does a decent job of finding all the little files that get sprayed all over the hard drive when something gets installed on Windows ;). I use Windows search to find the rest.

edited October 2021

DELETE

Post edited by daveso on
  • NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

I haven't tried Daz Central, and won't- but if you install via that, can you ever go back to DIM?  Because isn't it true DIM doesn't know what has already been installed via DC? That would be a mess.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,575
    AllenArt said:
    AllenArt said:

Laurie

sad Windows 10 is the reason I'm still on Windows 8.1

..and why I'm still on 7 Pro.

daveso said:
    AllenArt said:
    daveso said:

thanks ... i downloaded. 

I use Revo Uninstaller. It usually does a decent job of finding all the little files that get sprayed all over the hard drive when something gets installed on Windows ;). I use Windows search to find the rest.

i ended up using search as well. found a ot of stuff which i deleted most. Interesting is that DS, when I installed again, found my old custome directories even though they were deleted. I also had run a registry repair program and deleted all registry entries that included DAZ. so how does it know the old deleted file paths?

My guess is that there was still some stuff hiding in App Data, which is usually hidden on most people's computers ;). I don't think search works in hidden folders.

Laurie

• dawnbladedawnblade Posts: 1,723

Curious about three things: How fast does G8F load without a gazillion morphs installed? Did you need to account for and delete Metadata that was created by converters from one generation to another? As you reinstall more stuff, it would be very interesting to know which types of products seem to suddenly bring DS to a crawl (but I'm hoping it won't happen to you again!), such as character morphs-which I'm going to guess is the main culprit, HDRIs, billboards, add-ons, environments, etc.

• ZilvergrafixZilvergrafix Posts: 1,385
    edited December 2020
    kyoto kid said:

..and why I'm still on 7 Pro.

+1, I've installed many times Win10, always getting back to 7, ever!

now, taking the point about reinstalling all from zero, the key part is unifying all your folders inside either "Content" or "My Daz Library", not necessary being in C:/ , I have all on any other letter drive than C:/,

then running a Contentd DB maintenance  and done! all like new!, for me is more important save the customization of the menues and toolbars,

I hate recreating in every install all that icons...some people says that I'm "sketchuping" my Daz Studio cheeky

Post edited by Zilvergrafix on
  • Novica said:

I haven't tried Daz Central, and won't- but if you install via that, can you ever go back to DIM?  Because isn't it true DIM doesn't know what has already been installed via DC? That would be a mess.

Yes, you can go back. No, it isn't true that DIM will not know what DC installed.

edited October 2021

DELETE

Post edited by daveso on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,078
    edited December 2020

I had a similar problem.  I tried a lot of things.  I can connect to my account now ans see all my products again.  Frankly, I don't think anything I did mattered, but you never know.  My first post describing the issue is here.  https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/6231616/#Comment_6231616

The next dozen or so posts in the thread show some attempts to diagnose and solve the problem.  Maybe it will help you.

Post edited by Diomede on