Wouldn't It Be Nice If SmartProps Worked With More Than Just One Figure...

Comments

• 3dcheapskate3dcheapskate Posts: 2,689
    edited April 2015

Errrr... that's not the shilleliegh that I've included data for...

However, it's a good opportunity to test the updated DAZ Studio helper scripts! I just downloaded the shilleliegh, loaded it into DS4.6 and ran the updated helper scripts. Here's the data I got (the URL was added by hand of course):

# http://www.sharecg.com/v/80369/browse/21/DAZ-Studio/Shilleliegh
    Shilleliegh (mjc26250),shil2,shil2,-16.804,16.143,0.000,0.345,-0.522,0.150

I added that to my Smart+ datafile... and here's a little fella holding it, courtesy of PropGoto+...

(also tried adding data for the lightsaber you see, but that doesn't get recognized - need to look into that...)

shil.jpg
    891 x 657 - 105K
    Post edited by 3dcheapskate on
    edited December 1969

...then loaded GG3.1, selected her and the shilleliegh, ran PropGoto+, and it's hers now...

It really is that easy !

gg.jpg
    502 x 735 - 97K
    edited April 2015

The lightsaber works fine in the Poser version, so there's only a problem in the DAZ Studio version. Here's the link and data for the freebie lightsaber I used if anybody wants to try it in Poser...

# http://www.sharecg.com/v/33085/browse/11/Poser/ESB-SKYWALKER-Gunbelt-DL-44-Blaster-Lightsaber
    Lightsaber (fantascopefilms),saberhandle,saberhandle,0.000,90.000,180.000,-0.001,-0.198,0.000

...and here's Jedi Master Scrum, again I just selected the prop and figure and ran PropGoto+ to get it gripped in his hand

Render_1.jpg
    517 x 758 - 29K
    edited December 1969

Helpers For Generic DS Smart+/PropGoto+ Rel3Beta Now Uploaded Too

ShareCG: Helpers For Generic DS Smart+/PropGoto+ Rel3Beta
    Renderosity: not yet

These will let you easily get the data you need to add additional props to the Smart+ datafile.
    Remember that it's a beta - there's not much explanation in the readme, but if I've done it right it should be fairly easy to follow...

dshelp.jpg
    441 x 459 - 58K
  • MilosGulanMilosGulan Posts: 1,950
    edited December 1969

Ok I have tried it a bit, and I think I will need to install Dwarvez and Scrum to be able to fully test it. I was wondering how to select together figure and prop and it is done by pressing Ctrl and selecting them (maybe You can write it down in help for people that don't know it). Then I saw these posts and will try continuing tomorrow and need to download those new Helpers too. I am hoping I can make it work and do some props on my own. I think good idea is to give link for props that are done in text info.

edited December 1969

gulan7 said:
    Ok I have tried it a bit, and I think I will need to install Dwarvez and Scrum to be able to fully test it. I was wondering how to select together figure and prop and it is done by pressing Ctrl and selecting them (maybe You can write it down in help for people that don't know it). Then I saw these posts and will try continuing tomorrow and need to download those new Helpers too. I am hoping I can make it work and do some props on my own. I think good idea is to give link for props that are done in text info.

Thanks - two good points there.
    - Yes, in DAZ Studio you select the first node by clicking, and then hold down the Ctrl key and click the second node. I'll need to update the documentation before I do the proper release 3, but I know how few people look at readmes or documents...
    - Links for props that are done is definitely a good idea. I'm not sure of the best way/place to keep a master list though? Maybe a separate thread on this forum?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I've mentioned that I started this project in early 2012, i.e. before DAZ Studio 4, before Genesis. I don't personally use Genesis (nothing against it - just that I'm content using all the other figures that have populated my library since I started in 2007). I know that there are other people who like using other figures. I was always really irritated by how inflexible most hand-held props were. Many had to be wrestled into the hand of the figure. If you were lucky enough to find a smartprop, it only worked with one specific figure (usually V3, or later V4). I decided to solve this problem, for my own benefit. And after about three years I'm nearly there! :)

For newer users who started with DAZ Studio 4 and Genesis (and thus probably don't use other figures), this Smart+ stuff is of very limited (if any) use.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited April 2015

For newer users who started with DAZ Studio 4 and Genesis (and thus probably don't use other figures), this Smart+ stuff is of very limited (if any) use.

That is, of course, assuming your 'hard props' collection is also of recent vintage...and not mostly the vast number of older items (many of which are very high quality...thinking of some of the weapons...) or don't have a re-make version. To get the full benefit of the new stuff you do need all the 'add ins', and I'm not sure of how much value they are for hand-held things like a staff or sword.

For wearables and hair, yeah, the clones and shapes work perfectly...but, if don't happen to have the M3 shape and that's what a sword was set up for, it's still going to load 'close' and take some fiddling to get it there.

Oh and I like the shilleliegh ;-)

On a side note...I broke out the 'twist' rope Shader Miser network, the other day...I've got a couple idea for that, I hope to get around to, in the near future.

Post edited by mjc1016 on
    edited April 2015

mjc1016 said:

That is, of course, assuming your 'hard props' collection is also of recent vintage...and not mostly the vast number of older items (many of which are very high quality...thinking of some of the weapons...) or don't have a re-make version. To get the full benefit of the new stuff you do need all the 'add ins', and I'm not sure of how much value they are for hand-held things like a staff or sword.

For wearables and hair, yeah, the clones and shapes work perfectly...but, if don't happen to have the M3 shape and that's what a sword was set up for, it's still going to load 'close' and take some fiddling to get it there...

Over on the Renderosity thread Razor42 asked "Do you plan to add support for Genesis 2 Figures...". Release 1 of the Smart+ stuff included support for the original Genesis base figure, and I added support for the base Genesis 2 female at release 2. Since I only have the free Genesis figures that's as much Genesis support as I can personally add (although I did pick up V6 when it was free - but I haven't even installed it yet).

The Smart+ DataFile User Guide PDFs included in release 1 and 2 of both Poser and DAZ Studio versions explain how to add support for a new figure, and (post 5 on this current thread contains an example - the figure support data for Sixus1's Dwarvez, Orc and Goblin. But I guess that most people won't be confident enough to try adding figures...

However, if anybody does add support for a new figure on their own system, why not post the data in this thread (like I did back in post 5)? Then other people can just incorporate that data into their own datafile. But I guess that most people won't be confident enough to try merging data into the datafile...

Alternatively, if other people can work out the support data for the Genesis1/2-based figures that I don't have, then I can add the data to my master datafile and upload that to ShareCG.

mjc1016 said:
    ...Oh and I like the shilleliegh ;-)

Yours I assume? A different serial numbered clone perhaps?
    Referring back to your question in post 41, the shilleliegh (like several other props) exhibits the one problem that I haven't found a way to resolve when setting up the HANDPROXYDATA. I.e. the axes of rotation at the end of step 4 aren't aligned with the world axes. This is a relatively minor problem though - it just makes a little bit more awkward in the unlikely event that the end user wants to tweak the prop's orientation after putting it in the figure's hand with PropGoto+. - e.g. if the axes were aligned at step 4 then rotating a sword about it's longitudinal axis after using PropGoto+ would simply be zrot.

...On a side note...I broke out the 'twist' rope Shader Miser network, the other day...I've got a couple idea for that, I hope to get around to, in the near future.
    I wondered what you were talking about for a moment (and it wasn't the Miser that threw me! ;o)? :) I guess it's the one from the Railings02?

edited April 2015

If I am to be asked I like Sixus1 figures and others that I am able to get and will try using them eventualy. If I make anything for this script I will be adding it to the list for sure. I probably will work with it just to figure it out :). And yeah I am not sure how to do it but list of supported items and figures would be a good thing together with links where they can be downloaded.

Though I have to say that I primary use Genesis 1 figures and also version 2 and those are my most favorite models though as I am having a bit older computer I am trying to work with other older and maybe more simple models too.

Post edited by MilosGulan on
    edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    ...Oh and I like the shilleliegh ;-)
    Yours I assume? A different serial numbered clone perhaps?
    Referring back to your question in post 41, the shilleliegh (like several other props) exhibits the one problem that I haven't found a way to resolve when setting up the HANDPROXYDATA. I.e. the axes of rotation at the end of step 4 aren't aligned with the world axes. This is a relatively minor problem though - it just makes a little bit more awkward in the unlikely event that the end user wants to tweak the prop's orientation after putting it in the figure's hand with PropGoto+. - e.g. if the axes were aligned at step 4 then rotating a sword about it's longitudinal axis after using PropGoto+ would simply be zrot.

...On a side note...I broke out the 'twist' rope Shader Miser network, the other day...I've got a couple idea for that, I hope to get around to, in the near future.

I wondered what you were talking about for a moment (and it wasn't the Miser that threw me! ;o)? :) I guess it's the one from the Railings02?

Yeah, that's the one I just put up, and the one I was going to play around with, when I get the chance. I think I have an idea as to one possible source for the alignment problem. And if I'm right, I may start using PropGoto+ to initially position all my hand held props...but I need to clear out a bunch of other projects first.

Yes, the one from Railings 2.

edited December 1969

Returning to that problem I had with the lightsaber. It works in Poser and DS3, but not in DS4. I thought this might happen (I think I mentioned it in an earlier post?)

If I simply run the '5-GetProxyData' script from Poser I get this:

:HANDPROXYDATA
    ,saberhandle_1,saberhandle,81.0,0.0,0.0,0.0,0.1163,0.0

From DS3 I get this:

{propName},saberhandle_1,saberhandle,81.000,0.000,0.000,0.000,0.116,0.000

But from DS4 I get this:

{propName},saberhandle_1,ESB Skywalker Lightsaber_19135,81.000,0.000,0.000,0.000,0.116,0.000

Iirc - when DS4 imports a Poser prop which has no external geometry (i.e. if the geometry is included in the CR2, and not in an external OBJ), then the internal name it gives the prop is the name of the CR2 with a number tagged onto the end. Poser and DS3 use the internal name that's specified in the CR2.

Like I said, I was sort-of expecting something like this. I don't think it's a big problem - just needs a bit more thought....

• DaremoK3DaremoK3 Posts: 798
    edited December 1969

3dcheapskate, just wanted to chime in here regarding your last post.

I always thought that Studio was assigning an arbitrary number for the internal prop exchange data, but recently I discovered while checking the morph deltas for a prop I am working on that the number attached matches the vertex index for the mesh.

So, in your example the mesh has 19135 vertices, and is either the prop master name or properties panel name (don't remember which is being used by the DAZ data set).

Just a thought, but it might be possible to write in your scripting a way to head-off or circumvent the naming convention by way of the vertex index linked to the internal naming, and see if you can direct your script to rename it on loading to correspond more in line with Poser/DS3. Not sure if possible, but wanted to give you a possible direction to think about.

Love the work you are doing with this. Keep up the great work.

• erostewerostew Posts: 214
    edited December 1969

I gave the DS version 3 beta a very brief test and managed to load the spiked club from Bashers and Bludgeons into g2f's hand quite easily. That's in the latest DS 4.7 release. Didn't try it in the 4.8 public beta yet. It worked :) I was very impressed that even the hand pose was correct.

The helper scripts look very interesting and hopefully I will have time to try it out soon. I don't use old figures much, almost exclusively Gn 1 or 2 figures, so my interest is mainly in using older (or new!) props that are for gen4 or earlier which don't play well with Genesis 1 or 2. I once spent over an hour getting a katana and sheath into the hands of a g2f character and it was an extremely frustrating experience. It is really a pain to try dragging a prop into a characters hand when it loads rotated and positioned for for another character!

Since you mentioned you only have g2f and V6 I thought I would point out that if you have DS and genesis 2 female you also have genesis 2 male. It's been in the starter essentials for a long time now.

Regards and thanks!

edited December 1969

Thanks gulan7, mjc1016, DaremoK3, and erostew for the comments. I'm just having my morning coffee, and I need to read through them all again. My brain doesn't really start working till the second cup is finished...

edited April 2015

Smart+/PropGoto+ HANDPROXYDATA list

I've started a new thread here in the Freepozitory for the master list of HANDPROXYDATA datalines - "Smart+/PropGoto+ HANDPROXYDATA list".

If you use the release 3 beta helper scripts to work out data for any additional props please post the data on that thread

edited December 1969

List Of Supported Figures

I've also started a separate thread with the list of supported figures - Smart+/PropGoto+ List Of Supported Figures

If anybody uses the procedures in the Release 1/2 PDFs to add support for other figures then please post the data there.

edited December 1969

gulan7 said:
    If I am to be asked I like Sixus1 figures and others that I am able to get and will try using them eventualy. If I make anything for this script I will be adding it to the list for sure. I probably will work with it just to figure it out :). ....

Just about all the figures I have on my system are supported (except V6, the toons and robots that came with Poser 6/8/9, and figures in Poser Pro 2014 that weren't in Poser 9).

gulan7 said:
    ...And yeah I am not sure how to do it but list of supported items and figures would be a good thing together with links where they can be downloaded....

I've started new threads in the Freepozitory for those two lists, and I'll link to them from the OP of this thread. If the mods/admins allow those threads to stay then I'll start tidying the lists up and including links to all the freebies.

...Though I have to say that I primary use Genesis 1 figures and also version 2 and those are my most favorite models though as I am having a bit older computer I am trying to work with other older and maybe more simple models too.

As mjc1016 pointed out this stuff could still be useful for putting older props into the hands of Genesis.

• erostewerostew Posts: 214
    edited December 1969

Just a quick reply to let you know that the Helper and Goto scripts work fine in DS 4.8 beta.

edited April 2015

mjc1016 said:

Yeah, that's the one I just put up, and the one I was going to play around with, when I get the chance. I think I have an idea as to one possible source for the alignment problem. And if I'm right, I may start using PropGoto+ to initially position all my hand held props...but I need to clear out a bunch of other projects first.

Yes, the one from Railings 2.

I think that the alignment problem occurs if the prop's geometry isn't lined up with the world axes. Thinking in Poser PP2 terms (and I know your shilleliegh isn't!) - if you open the OBJ file (assuming you use external geometry - if the geometry's embedded, then if you cut-and-paste that enbedded geometry, save it as an OBJ, and open that) in a modeling program and the longitudinal axis of the hilt/blade (thinking of a straight sword here, but you get what I mean) isn't along one of the axes, then that's the problem... I think?

Also I just realized reading your comment that this should provide a nice easy way for prop-makers to create traditional smartprops - even though this stuff (in my view) makes traditional smartprops obsolete, I'm sure there are many people who are much more comfortable with smartprops! :)

edited December 1969

Well, we are both thinking along the same lines, then.

I have the perfect way of testing it. I still have the original, not moved in DS version on my machine...it was imported as an obj, 'propified' and saved...then there's the packaged version. I'll compare the results from the two versions...and if we are right, then the original should be perfect.

edited April 2015

DaremoK3 said:
    3dcheapskate, just wanted to chime in here regarding your last post.

I always thought that Studio was assigning an arbitrary number for the internal prop exchange data, but recently I discovered while checking the morph deltas for a prop I am working on that the number attached matches the vertex index for the mesh.

So, in your example the mesh has 19135 vertices, and is either the prop master name or properties panel name (don't remember which is being used by the DAZ data set)..

That rings a bell... I just searched the Developer Discussion forum and found one of my threads from a year ago ("Is It Possible To Access The Internal Name From A PP2 In DS4 Via DAZ Script?") in which Richard mentioned that the number was the vertex count.

DaremoK3 said:
    Just a thought, but it might be possible to write in your scripting a way to head-off or circumvent the naming convention by way of the vertex index linked to the internal naming, and see if you can direct your script to rename it on loading to correspond more in line with Poser/DS3. Not sure if possible, but wanted to give you a possible direction to think about.

Love the work you are doing with this. Keep up the great work.

Interesting thought - hadn't even considered that.But I'm fairly sure that the prop is loaded and completely set up before my script gets run. But always worth a double-check, so I once againchecked the Developer Discussion forum - another thread of mine"Can I automatically run a DSA script when I load a prop from a DUF/DSF file?" From Rob's reply...

"...At a basic level, you add custom Element Data (a “Post Load Data Item”) to an Object or Figure (i.e. Main Menu Bar > Edit > Object > Element Data…) and then save. Near the end of the loading routine for the file that provides the element with the data item, the file at the path specified by the data item will be loaded..."

It might still be possible for my script to retrospectively change the internal name - but what would it change it to? The title of the first thread I mentioned (i.e. "Is It Possible To Access The Internal Name From A PP2 In DS4 Via DAZ Script?") indicates that I ran into a similar problem before, and I think the answer (although not explicitly stated) was "No, you can't"

Also, it's the external name which is designed/expected to be changed - the internal name is supposed to be fixed. So even if I could change the internal name, I think that would likely cause all sorts of unexpected problems.

However, looking throughboth those threads I noted the last comment I made on the internal name one...

Note to self: if DS4 loads a prop from a Poser PP2 then the name accessed via oProp.name() depends on where the geometry is...

- If the PP2 used an external geometry file, then it's the OBJ filename
    - Otherwise (i.e. geometry embedded in PP2) it's the PP2 filename.

So using external geometry and adding my prefix to the OBJ filename seems the easiest workaround for now.

My memory can't be quite as bad as I thought, because I think I mentioned a few pages back that I recalled DS4 used the CR2 or OBJ name as the internal name (okay,I wasn't quite there,but I was on the right track! LOL)

So this is what I'm considering now - adding two additional fields (the ones in blue)...

<propName>,<externalName>,<internalName>,<PP2filename>,<OBJfilename>,...etc...

I think PoserPython and DAZ Script can both access the OBJ filename, but I'm not sure about the PP2 filename. At worst they would have do be typed in by hand.

DS4 can also load props direct from a DUF, so in that case the two extra fields would probably need to be left blank.

Needs a bit more thought, but I think this approach might do it. Thanks for the suggestion - it got my brain working again! :)

edited December 1969

I have downloaded Scrum yesterday and will try to work with this a bit more today probably later in the day :).

edited December 1969

erostew said:
    ...I once spent over an hour getting a katana and sheath into the hands of a g2f character and it was an extremely frustrating experience. It is really a pain to try dragging a prop into a characters hand when it loads rotated and positioned for for another character!...

LOL - we've all been there! I'm just surprised that nobody has thought about trying to find a way around it before now. And now that I'm almost there, I honestly cannot believe how ridiculously simple the solution is !

erostew said:
    I gave the DS version 3 beta a very brief test and managed to load the spiked club from Bashers and Bludgeons into g2f's hand quite easily. That's in the latest DS 4.7 release. Didn't try it in the 4.8 public beta yet. It worked :) I was very impressed that even the hand pose was correct....!

Thanks for the feedback. That's another thing that always irritated me - if you load a prop into a figure's hand it's 99% certain that you're going to want to make the figure actually hold it. And once again, now that I've done it i can't believe how easy it was!

erostew said:
    The helper scripts look very interesting and hopefully I will have time to try it out soon. I don't use old figures much, almost exclusively Gn 1 or 2 figures, so my interest is mainly in using older (or new!) props that are for gen4 or earlier which don't play well with Genesis 1 or 2. ...!

I noted your later post where you've confirmed they work in DS4.8 beta- thanks again.

Since you mentioned you only have g2f and V6 I thought I would point out that if you have DS and genesis 2 female you also have genesis 2 male. It's been in the starter essentials for a long time now.

Regards and thanks!

I can't seem to find him - maybe he's in the same unopened content folder as V6 ?
    I really should play with DS4 again... :)

Just a quick reply to let you know that the Helper and Goto scripts work fine in DS 4.8 beta.

Thanks. Also spotted your post with the data for Cleave, so a big thank you for that too. I definitely need to provide more information about how to decide whether to combine lines, and how to combine them :)

edited December 1969

I just noticed that this forum doesn't always display text enclosed in angle brackets, e.g.

You don't see those first three fields, just the commas (check the screenshot to see what I actually typed).
    Logical I guess - they're just seen as invalid HTML tags and ignored.But a PITA as I've been using angle brackets around labels a lot on this thread. Used the 'code' tag around it helps, e.g.

But I really need to go back and check every post I've made... grrrrr !

brackets.png
    856 x 247 - 15K
    edited April 2015

Currently generating support data for a couple of extra figures - Genesis 2 Male, Dusk done so far and added to the list

Also noticed a problem with the DS 'GetGotoAndGrip.dsa' script from release 1 and 2 - it doesn't work, always crashes. Need to comment out lines 68-73 to avoid crash. To be fixed for proper release 3.

edited April 2015

That is good to hear. I have installed Scrum and tried to use Shilleliegh with him.

First I made folder for this script V2 on my external HD then I installed (unziped) it to the folder then I copied V3 beta files over it. Then I tried to run script as instructed here, but it says - Unable to find the generic smart+ script in any of Your DAZ directories. Prop will be left at origin.

I am not sure what to do, if I installed it good at first place then how to make it work. I have tried reading a bit of pdfs but now i don't have much time to read it all now as I am in busy period of year.

It would be great if I could make it work.

edited April 2015

gulan7 said:
    That is good to hear. I have installed Scrum and tried to use Shilleliegh with him.

First I made folder for this script V2 on my external HD then I installed (unziped) it to the folder then I copied V3 beta files over it. Then I tried to run script as instructed here, but it says - Unable to find the generic smart+ script in any of Your DAZ directories. Prop will be left at origin.

I am not sure what to do, if I installed it good at first place then how to make it work. I have tried reading a bit of pdfs but now i don't have much time to read it all now as I am in busy period of year.

It would be great if I could make it work.

Simple answer - the main script 'GenericPropGotoPlus.dsa' isn't in one of your mapped DAZ Studio Content folders.

The dialog should also say "Check the log file (Help > View Log File) for more information" as per the first screenshot (In DS4 it's actually Help > Troubleshooting > View Log File, but I did that dialogue when I only had DS3 ! :)

Open the log file (as per the second screenshot - I'm using DS4.6) and scroll to the bottom (it could be quite big). You should see something like the third screenshot, but your directories will be different, and you'llprobably only have one or two.

You need to make sure that the 'GenericPropGotoPlus.dsa' file is in one of the locations listed in the log file - those are the only place the script knows to look.

If you can't work it out and fix it from that, then post the equivalent lines from your log file, plus the full path to the location where you put the script. We'll get it sorted ! :)

where.png
    1224 x 246 - 47K
    openlog.png
    372 x 285 - 18K
    checklog.png
    518 x 406 - 70K
    edited April 2015

Thanks for quick answer. I have made new folder scripts/3DCheapskate/SmartPlus/ and copied there all files from SmartPlus folder.

It started working but here is what happened, I have clicked 1 Continue, 2 Yes (and No), 3 Accept result is in both cases like on Pic 4. I hope we can make it work. I am missing that first screen in this thread instructions 1st picture when it matches prop.

Image_04.jpg
    566 x 483 - 64K
    Image_03.jpg
    401 x 316 - 54K
    Image_02.jpg
    499 x 265 - 44K
    Image_01.jpg
    620 x 463 - 91K
    edited April 2015

gulan7 said:
    Thanks for quick answer. I have made new folder scripts/3DCheapskate/SmartPlus/ and copied there all files from SmartPlus folder.

It started working but here is what happened, I have clicked 1 Continue, 2 Yes (and No), 3 Accept result is in both cases like on Pic 4. I hope we can make it work. I am missing that first screen in this thread instructions 1st picture when it matches prop.

The first message "You're trying to move a non-Smart prop..." indicates that the script failed to match the prop you've selected. It also tells you the internal name of the prop you've selected - in this case it's 'shil2'. If you open the datafile ( /scripts/3DCheapskate/SmartPlus/SmartPlusData.txt ) and scroll down to the bottom (the HANDPROXYDATA section is the last section) you'll find that you haven't added the data for mjc's shilleliegh (the dataline for mjc's shilleliegh is in post 61 - it wasn't included in the release 3 beta datafile).

The first attached screenshot shows the end of the release 3 beta datafile - no mjc shilleliegh.

You simply need to copy the dataline from post 61 (no need to include the preceding comment line with the URL - comment lines start with # in the datafile) and paste it somewhere in the HANDPROXYDATA section (i.e. after the ":HANDPROXYDATA" line but before the ":END" line. See the second screenshot - I usually add new props at the end unless there are possible mismatch issues, which doesn't apply in this case.

Hope that helps. Once again, post back here if you have any more problems. (Note - this is a very useful exercise for me! I'm so familiar with all of this, I forget that it may not be so obvious to other people. It's a good reminder that I need to rethink the documentation. Maybe add a 'Quick Start' guide with a few screenshots - a picture speaks a thousand words! :)

added.png
    1366 x 768 - 123K
    r3data.png
    1366 x 768 - 121K
    edited December 1969

gulan7 said:

The Smart+ stuff was originally designed to work specifically with Smart+ props (i.e. props where the geometry and PP2 or DUF have been created in accordance with a few rules - resulting in props that load with their origin at the world origin, positioned at the origin, and aligned with the world axes.

If a prop is NOT set up like this, then when you use the Smart+ stuff the prop will appear in completely the wrong place (which is what you saw with the mjc shilleliegh).

The 'DummyHand proxy' procedure in release 1 and 2 was a first attempt to make the Smart+ stuff work* with all those other props. I realized that you could rotate/translate any prop so that it was positioned and oriented in the correct way for a Smart+ prop - but it's origin would then not usually be at the world origin, and its axes would not usually be aligned with the world axes. If I ran PropGoto+ on it the prop ended up in the wrong place. But if I parented it to a DummyHand proxy (which is a proper Smart+ prop), and then ran propGoto+ on the DummyHand proxy - the original prop ended up in the correct place. All I then had to do was parent it to the figure's hand and delete the proxy, which had served its purpose.

Release 3 beta is because I suddenly realized how easy it was to automate the DummyHand proxy procedure...

(*There were one or two ordinary props, can't recall what they were though, that were just by chance set up like Smart+ props. These worked fine with PropGoto+, even without a proxy. That's the reason why it's still possible to run propGoto+ on a non-Smart+ prop without a proxy. I think I should probably modify those dialogues a bit? )