Polygon Group Editor Questions.

JohnDelaquioxJohnDelaquiox Posts: 1,184
edited December 1969 in The Commons

I started using the Polygon Group Editor Tool a while ago and its one of my favorite tools in Studio. I have learned how to do a lot of things with it but one and I am not sure it could be done.

What I need to do is save the changes to that I have made to an object so that they are permanent. In other words I would like for the object to load with the changes I have already made to it.

If any one can give me a quick guide to how that can be done it would help me a great deal and also help who ever may come across this thread.

Comments

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

To select individual polygons and create a new surface: Tools > "Polygon Group Editor".
    In the viewport, click on one poly to select it then hold Ctrl down and select any other polygons you want (or optionally you can select with a rectangle). Right click and choose Polygon Assignment > Create Surface from Selected. (you can also TEMPORARILY hide polygons here with "Polygon Visibility" > "Hide selected", but this isn't saved with the scene.) Give the new surface a name. You will then see a new material zone in the "Surfaces (color)" pane.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited March 2014

Once you have finished all your edits fully,
    For surfaces be sure you have created the New surfaces zones, check in the Surfaces Tab
    For mesh editing be sure you have done Delete hidden and not just Hide selected...
    Then you can do the Save As>Support Asset>Figure/Prop
    Be sure that the Item Name is Changed and I personally save my new version as a sub folder of the original item.
    A Right click on the Content folder will give the option of create a Sub Folder, it can then be browsed too to save in when you are doing
    the Save As in DAZ Studio.

Post edited by Jaderail on
  • JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,252
    edited December 1969

Thanks for that. I've been saving them as scenes in a separate folder and merging them into new scenes. Saving as a prop sounds much easier to get at.

Now, can anyone tell me if there is some trick to selecting ALL the polygons in an area? None of the tools seem to select anything but the polys that are facing the viewer. I'm always having to zoom in to microscopic levels and twist things around to select anything that's facing to the side.

Also; is there any way to make invisible polys unselectable? I've got a model with a wall and once I've got the wall selected and saved as a surface and turned off, it turns out that there are internal surfaces *inside* the wall, and I can't get at them to select them without doing the microscopic thing because the external surface polys keep being selected instead.

• JohnDelaquioxJohnDelaquiox Posts: 1,184
    edited March 2014

Thanks Sean and Jaderail that is just what I needed.

In the selection option you can select all attached but what I do is hold down the control key and then just draw in the area I want.

Post edited by JohnDelaquiox on
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

JOdel said:
    Thanks for that. I've been saving them as scenes in a separate folder and merging them into new scenes. Saving as a prop sounds much easier to get at.

Now, can anyone tell me if there is some trick to selecting ALL the polygons in an area? None of the tools seem to select anything but the polys that are facing the viewer. I'm always having to zoom in to microscopic levels and twist things around to select anything that's facing to the side.

Also; is there any way to make invisible polys unselectable? I've got a model with a wall and once I've got the wall selected and saved as a surface and turned off, it turns out that there are internal surfaces *inside* the wall, and I can't get at them to select them without doing the microscopic thing because the external surface polys keep being selected instead.

There are ways to select all, one is to keep using the expand selected until all is selected (Ctrl+ +) or Use the Right Click menu and Select All. All the PGE functions are in the Right Click menu when using it in the viewport. If you do HIDE and not the EYE off I believe you can not select them then, but I mostly Delete hidden so have not tested that as yet.