Kitbashing and connecting kit parts [Solved]

Mark TMark T Posts: 40

Hi all

Massive newbie query: am looking for a tutorial on how to connect the parts of a spaceship kit (such as https://www.daz3d.com/scifi-ship-building-blocks ).

Although I'm relatively clear on posing and lighting, I've not yet tried to build larger objects from collections of smaller ones. I think my biggest interests are in ensuring edges meet correctly, edge detection (if that's the correct term), orientation and grouping.

Anyone who could point me to either a written or video tutorial, that'd be v greatly appreciated.

Again, apols for the newbiness!

VBW

M

Post edited by Mark T on

Comments

• DS doesn't have advanced alignment tools, thogh adding the Measure Metrics tool should allow you to measure separation and plug that into a translation. If a set is designed to have a repeating unit size, as with Maclean's Room Creator for example, then you can use the snapping options in Tool Settings to make parts move in increments (actually Maclean's set, being older than the feature, has its own scripts for moving a set number of units).

• Mark TMark T Posts: 40

Hi Richard

Many thanks for the fast response.

I think I'll need to read up on the Tool Settings snapping optin you mentioned.

Many thanks for the suggestion/ guidance.smiley

VBW
    M

• Edge detection isn't a thing. Orientation and grouping can be managed somewhat by parenting the subordinate objects to the larger one. Within some limits once you have all the parts parented and where you want them you'll be able to move, rotate etc. The main object and the rest should maintain their relative positions and orientations.

edited January 2020

Hi K

Many thanks for that suggestion, too. The parenting option seems another useful way to go. 
    Cheers for that smiley

VBW

M

Post edited by Mark T on
  • Make sure when you parent the object to the main one that you have Parent In Place checked at the bottom of the pane, otherwise the object you're parenting to it will move to the center of the main object, and will also lose any rotation settings.

• The snapping functionality in Blender is mindblowing. It can also snap the scale and rotation. You'd really be doing yourself a favor to learn it, because you can create some stuff that has just about zero resemblance to the objects you started with; it's much easier to get from the starting point to what you had in your imagination, with Blender.

For the MICK Bundle, I put all the individual props into a scene, exported that to Blender, and built what I wanted. I don't go back to Daz, but the UVs are still intact, and you can just re-apply whatever textures you wanted in the Surfaces tab. Just don't change the scale or axes orientation and zero out all the trabsforms by hitting ctrl-a.

I might add that changing the origin to a location that makes more sense is trivial, as well.

• Griffin AvidGriffin Avid Posts: 3,757

I did a few tutorials on kitbashing 

https://www.daz3d.com/digital-kit-bashing--space-and-spaceships

https://www.daz3d.com/digital-kit-bashing--easily-create-innovative-props-and-scenes

You can (and should wait for a sale lol) 

In the meantime, you can use the align tool to move objects next to each other and if an object rotates from or around a weird place (the center of the object ot its pivot point is NOT at the center of the object) a workaround is to create a null object and parent the piece to that and use the null object to move things around. I cover that in those courses and also additional resources for ship parts.

And how to use stuff(s) you already own.

The snapping functionality in Blender is mindblowing. It can also snap the scale and rotation. You'd really be doing yourself a favor to learn it, because you can create some stuff that has just about zero resemblance to the objects you started with; it's much easier to get from the starting point to what you had in your imagination, with Blender.

I've been thinking more about doing this recently.

I've obvioulsy heard tonnes about Blender - seen some awsome rendered results - but have not even downloaded it yet.

At the risk out outstaying my welcome on this topic, can anyone recommend a really good source for Blender tutorials; from an absolute beginner, upwards?

Also, thanks to all who've provided guidnace on my initial query: it helped loads. My image - which is for a client's book cover - has come along really well (I think!). I'll post it when he's published, for any that may be interested.

Thanks again!

VBW
    M

• Mark T said:

The snapping functionality in Blender is mindblowing. It can also snap the scale and rotation. You'd really be doing yourself a favor to learn it, because you can create some stuff that has just about zero resemblance to the objects you started with; it's much easier to get from the starting point to what you had in your imagination, with Blender.

I've been thinking more about doing this recently.

I've obvioulsy heard tonnes about Blender - seen some awsome rendered results - but have not even downloaded it yet.

At the risk out outstaying my welcome on this topic, can anyone recommend a really good source for Blender tutorials; from an absolute beginner, upwards?

Also, thanks to all who've provided guidnace on my initial query: it helped loads. My image - which is for a client's book cover - has come along really well (I think!). I'll post it when he's published, for any that may be interested.

Thanks again!

VBW
    M

I took Alex Cordebard's Udemy course, but many speak very highly of Blender Guru's "Donut" tutorial on Youtube.

I took Alex Cordebard's Udemy course, but many speak very highly of Blender Guru's "Donut" tutorial on Youtube.

Cheers, will look into those! smiley

VBW
    M

PS: I signed up for the Udemy, Alex Cordebard course on modelling. Was only £11.99 yesterday. smiley

VBW
    M

• I love BlenderGuru, but BornCG is also very good and moves at a bit slower pace, which helps me. Also, be sure and get the latest Blender, 2.8 whatever, and make sure your tutorials are also for 2.8

Blender just had a HUGE upgrade between 2.7 and 2.8, making it even easier for a newbie to learn :)

I love BlenderGuru, but BornCG is also very good and moves at a bit slower pace, which helps me. Also, be sure and get the latest Blender, 2.8 whatever, and make sure your tutorials are also for 2.8

Blender just had a HUGE upgrade between 2.7 and 2.8, making it even easier for a newbie to learn :)

Many thanks for the suggestion Dannis!

VBW
    M

• I love BlenderGuru, but BornCG is also very good and moves at a bit slower pace, which helps me. Also, be sure and get the latest Blender, 2.8 whatever, and make sure your tutorials are also for 2.8

Yes, forgot to say what DanniStories said. On the video tutorials, look for the multicolored xyz-axis gizmo in the upper right corner of the 3D viewport to quickly recognize a 2.8+ video. If it's 2.79 or earlier, it'll be confusing at counterproductive when you later move to 2.8x.

Yes, forgot to say what DanniStories said. On the video tutorials, look for the multicolored xyz-axis gizmo in the upper right corner of the 3D viewport to quickly recognize a 2.8+ video. If it's 2.79 or earlier, it'll be confusing at counterproductive when you later move to 2.8x.

Noted!

Will avoid anyting earlier that current.

Thx for the advice smileyyes

VBW
    M

Hi all

For anyone that was curious, here's how the kitbashed spacestation I was worked up - following your advice - came out.

Also, the book is now up for sale on Amazon too smiley

VBW
    M

CSB2-SINGLE-OPT3-1500PX.jpg
    1500 x 1500 - 246K
  • Mark T said:

Hi all

For anyone that was curious, here's how the kitbashed spacestation I was worked up - following your advice - came out.

Also, the book is now up for sale on Amazon too smiley

VBW
    M

Woah.