Tutorials ... Tutorials ... ** New** Making Clothing using AutoFit

Comments

• Some of the new .mdl files will totally match up with the Parameter brick, but so far most have 1 or 2 channels that would need additional bricks to make a connection.

I'm not very adept [yet] with matching up bricks ... did find one set of the regular bricks that will match up with nothing. BUT then there are bricks that one can change ... oh la la ... okay ... and of the new bricks found one that is supposed to render rather black :-) Topsoil. You may cut out whatever sections you want to use on a template for potting soil, garden soil, whatever.

Enjoy, C.

too large to post here so here's the other link: topsoil

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,318

What you get from them depends on what you apply it to, pic one is that glazing_float.mdl, second pic is the glazing_frosted.mdl, that one took 3m 15s to render on my 1660 ti and you could hear the fans start to pick up speed at 90% done.

Basically these MDL files are complete shaders, problem is that for us to use them we need to connect them to an MDL Surface brick and a User Parameters brick, which means the ShaderMixer. We really only need other bricks if you want to make some of them tileable, or if you want to try and combine two (or more) into a new shader.

First a little tip for anyone that's working on a single monitor like me, click on the SM's options menu and select "make pane undockable", now you can make it full screen, or minimize it to get it out of your face when you don't need it, and it will stay like that through multiple sessions so long as you don't close the window.

To use these MDL what you need is a clear shader, ie no bricks, now under "Roots" you will find "MDL Surface", drag it into the shader, now under "Functions > Utility" you will find "User Parameters", drag it in as well.

Now see that (V) connecter on the "User Parameters" brick, click and drag it over to the "MDL Surface" brick and connect it to the Material ID's (C) connecter.

Now you can either "File > Save Shader" to save you doing that part again or you can drag in one of the vMaterial MDL files, that part is up to you.

Connect the "Custom MDL" bricks (MT) connecter to the (MT) connecter on the "MDL Surface" brick, next it's the turn of that (V) connecter on the "User Parameters" brick, connect it up to each connecter on the "Custom MDL" brick, start at the top and work your way down. Any that wont connect you can ignore for the time being as they aren't important atm.

Once you have them all (or almost all) connected it's time to apply it to a surface and go see what you got.

Now some of the MDL have connecters that wont connect to the "User Parameters" brick, these are normally "Translate" and "Scale" when they have an (F2) connecter rather than the (P) connecter some of the MDL have.
    Now these can be used for texture tiling, Scale is the one you really want to concentrate on, the brick we want to use can be found down the rabbithole, it's at "Functions > MDL > Built Ins > Types > Float2" and the brick we want is the "Float2 2 Input".

Drag it into your shader, right down the bottom of the brick you will see a "button" with "Varying" on it, click the button and change it to "Uniform", now connect it's (F2) connecter to the (F2) for Scale, then use the (V) connecter on the "User Parameters" to link the two (F) connecters to it.

Before you apply it change the settings for X and Y to 1.00 as the default is 0.00, which means no Scale and the textures will be so tiny you wont be able to see them, using 1.00 will apply the the texture once over the whole UV area, using settings between 0.01 and 1.00 will give you some control over the tiling.

glazing_float.jpg
    796 x 610 - 237K
    glazing_frosted.jpg
    796 x 610 - 230K
  • Bejaymac said:

What you get from them depends on what you apply it to, pic one is that glazing_float.mdl, second pic is the glazing_frosted.mdl, that one took 3m 15s to render on my 1660 ti and you could hear the fans start to pick up speed at 90% done.

Basically these MDL files are complete shaders, problem is that for us to use them we need to connect them to an MDL Surface brick and a User Parameters brick, which means the ShaderMixer. We really only need other bricks if you want to make some of them tileable, or if you want to try and combine two (or more) into a new shader.

First a little tip for anyone that's working on a single monitor like me, click on the SM's options menu and select "make pane undockable", now you can make it full screen, or minimize it to get it out of your face when you don't need it, and it will stay like that through multiple sessions so long as you don't close the window.

To use these MDL what you need is a clear shader, ie no bricks, now under "Roots" you will find "MDL Surface", drag it into the shader, now under "Functions > Utility" you will find "User Parameters", drag it in as well.

Now see that (V) connecter on the "User Parameters" brick, click and drag it over to the "MDL Surface" brick and connect it to the Material ID's (C) connecter.

Now you can either "File > Save Shader" to save you doing that part again or you can drag in one of the vMaterial MDL files, that part is up to you.

Connect the "Custom MDL" bricks (MT) connecter to the (MT) connecter on the "MDL Surface" brick, next it's the turn of that (V) connecter on the "User Parameters" brick, connect it up to each connecter on the "Custom MDL" brick, start at the top and work your way down. Any that wont connect you can ignore for the time being as they aren't important atm.

Once you have them all (or almost all) connected it's time to apply it to a surface and go see what you got.

Now some of the MDL have connecters that wont connect to the "User Parameters" brick, these are normally "Translate" and "Scale" when they have an (F2) connecter rather than the (P) connecter some of the MDL have.
    Now these can be used for texture tiling, Scale is the one you really want to concentrate on, the brick we want to use can be found down the rabbithole, it's at "Functions > MDL > Built Ins > Types > Float2" and the brick we want is the "Float2 2 Input".

Drag it into your shader, right down the bottom of the brick you will see a "button" with "Varying" on it, click the button and change it to "Uniform", now connect it's (F2) connecter to the (F2) for Scale, then use the (V) connecter on the "User Parameters" to link the two (F) connecters to it.

Before you apply it change the settings for X and Y to 1.00 as the default is 0.00, which means no Scale and the textures will be so tiny you wont be able to see them, using 1.00 will apply the the texture once over the whole UV area, using settings between 0.01 and 1.00 will give you some control over the tiling.

Your help is very much appreciated, thank you :-)

Almost forgot but there are two sets of presets on ShareCG for the 1.5 versions of these MDL's, 1.6 are bug fixes and updates so chances are some of the 1.5 preset wont work right.
    https://www.sharecg.com/v/91698/view/21/DAZ-Studio/vMaterials-1.5-AEC-IRay-Shaders

https://sharecg.com/v/91919/gallery/21/DAZ-Studio/vMaterials-Design-v1-5-Iray-Shaders

Don't know if you have noticed but see all of those PNG thumbnails in with the MDL files, there are settings to recreate each of those colours inside each MDL, buggered if I can figure out how to get at them short of making a copy of the MDL and butchering the crap out of the copy, that's how I got the white settings on my pic a couple of posts back.

• Bejaymac said:

Almost forgot but there are two sets of presets on ShareCG for the 1.5 versions of these MDL's, 1.6 are bug fixes and updates so chances are some of the 1.5 preset wont work right.
    https://www.sharecg.com/v/91698/view/21/DAZ-Studio/vMaterials-1.5-AEC-IRay-Shaders

https://sharecg.com/v/91919/gallery/21/DAZ-Studio/vMaterials-Design-v1-5-Iray-Shaders

Don't know if you have noticed but see all of those PNG thumbnails in with the MDL files, there are settings to recreate each of those colours inside each MDL, buggered if I can figure out how to get at them short of making a copy of the MDL and butchering the crap out of the copy, that's how I got the white settings on my pic a couple of posts back.

Yes, I read a note in the other forum that some programs are able to read those .mdl files "as is" I gather, in order to reproduce the variations. My first thought was we probably have to do as you mentioned, make copies and reset the colour values, etc.

• Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 659
    edited November 6

Okay, I followed the instructions ;-)

Now I had, via the long route, found before a Float 2, 2 inputs but what threw me was nothing said 'translate' or 'scale' -- the one I found via the instructions does not either -- so did you edit yours to say that? I'm thinking yes otherwise, if they were like mine, there'd be a duplicate reading on the Parameters Tab.

What did trip me up though was the necessity to add a value so that they would work! So having set them to "1" - the one now works. :-) 

now it's working.png
    1464 x 796 - 304K
    Post edited by Catherine3678ab on
    edited November 6

Does this spaghetti pattern appear to be okay? There is no visual difference to the .mdl file, just a few more options available for the users. {and while the scale would affect change, for this pattern I noticed no changes for the translations, but maybe I missed something else?}

no visual change more options.png
    882 x 678 - 454K
    experimenting.png
    1120 x 737 - 152K

That's it, basically what you have done is given yourself control over the Translate and Scale nodes on that Custom MDL brick. The default value of the Translate node is 0.00, so setting the X & Y on that Float2 2 Inputs brick to 0.00 or 1.00 will give the same effect, it's the decimal points inbetween that gives you the Offset.
    The Scale node defaults to 1.00, so you need to set the X & Y on that Float2 2 Inputs brick to 1.00 that way it matches the default setting. The usual tiling we are used to means that the larger the number the more instances of the texture you have over the surface, with Scale it's the opposite you want to go low, from 1.00 (1 instance) down to as close to 0.00 as you dare go.

If you don't want to do any offsets or tiling then don't bother adding the Float2 2 Inputs brick, it just means that those nodes will run at their default values.

I noticed you figured out how to change the "Labels" on the X & Y, that Properties tab next to the Brickyard tab is always the best place to do that, basically what you see in there is how it's going to look in the Surfaces tab.

Not sure what your trying to do with the Add Cutout brick, it's not doing anything connected to the User Parameters brick like that, if you have a Mask or transmap then add a Texture Instance brick and connect it to the "UP" brick (fedup writing out User Parameters) and the Add Cutout brick, just make sure to add the texture to both the Texture Instance brick and to the Cutout node on the "UP" brick.

edited November 6
    Bejaymac said:

That's it, basically what you have done is given yourself control over the Translate and Scale nodes on that Custom MDL brick. The default value of the Translate node is 0.00, so setting the X & Y on that Float2 2 Inputs brick to 0.00 or 1.00 will give the same effect, it's the decimal points inbetween that gives you the Offset.
    The Scale node defaults to 1.00, so you need to set the X & Y on that Float2 2 Inputs brick to 1.00 that way it matches the default setting. The usual tiling we are used to means that the larger the number the more instances of the texture you have over the surface, with Scale it's the opposite you want to go low, from 1.00 (1 instance) down to as close to 0.00 as you dare go.

If you don't want to do any offsets or tiling then don't bother adding the Float2 2 Inputs brick, it just means that those nodes will run at their default values.

I noticed you figured out how to change the "Labels" on the X & Y, that Properties tab next to the Brickyard tab is always the best place to do that, basically what you see in there is how it's going to look in the Surfaces tab.

Not sure what your trying to do with the Add Cutout brick, it's not doing anything connected to the User Parameters brick like that, if you have a Mask or transmap then add a Texture Instance brick and connect it to the "UP" brick (fedup writing out User Parameters) and the Add Cutout brick, just make sure to add the texture to both the Texture Instance brick and to the Cutout node on the "UP" brick.

Thank you.

What I'm trying to do is set up a basic "starter" shader in which I can simply swap out the vmaterial .mdl files saving them out as D/S Shaders.

I will look for texture instance bricks ... was looking for something to add an image, I know they exist as I've tripped over them before but ... man that UP could use an index ... anyhow, located where it is, the Add Cutout brick can make the object transparent - not very useful for a rug, I was thinking more of for curtains, etc.

Found the texture adder!

Well that's a bit of a bummer, just figured out how to get at the other color settings, delete the "UP" brick, Iray will use which ever settings you have listed in the "MDL Callable" section at the bottom of the Custom MDL brick instead.

The image shows the set up to get the blue settings for the Carpet_Circles.MDL, the "Float2 2 Inputs" is there so I can still tile it, and "UP" brick is there so I can alter the tiling settings.

These MDL files just need to be connected to an MDL Surface brick and they are good to go, they have all of their setting already there, all the "UP" brick does is block us from accessing the other settings.

It's that lot in there (points at Brickyard) that needs the "UP", they have all been created using "neutral" settings, and the only way to change that is by connecting them to the "UP".

Talk about learning something new everyday, my poor brain is frazzled after all this, think I'll take a break, still rebuilding my content directories and fixing badly done Poser ERC is looking a lot more inviting atm.

What_A_Bummer.jpg
    1360 x 768 - 121K
    edited November 6
    Bejaymac said:

Well that's a bit of a bummer, just figured out how to get at the other color settings, delete the "UP" brick, Iray will use which ever settings you have listed in the "MDL Callable" section at the bottom of the Custom MDL brick instead.

The image shows the set up to get the blue settings for the Carpet_Circles.MDL, the "Float2 2 Inputs" is there so I can still tile it, and "UP" brick is there so I can alter the tiling settings.

These MDL files just need to be connected to an MDL Surface brick and they are good to go, they have all of their setting already there, all the "UP" brick does is block us from accessing the other settings.

It's that lot in there (points at Brickyard) that needs the "UP", they have all been created using "neutral" settings, and the only way to change that is by connecting them to the "UP".

Talk about learning something new everyday, my poor brain is frazzled after all this, think I'll take a break, still rebuilding my content directories and fixing badly done Poser ERC is looking a lot more inviting atm.

That sounds like going to the dentist lol ... okay.

Got the cutout brick on and working.

Think I'm getting a handle on the tiling/scaling ....

And well, if we don't have to add all of the .mdl to the UP ... will check this out.

Maybe it would vary by bricks but no, I think we need the .mdl connected all the way to the UP. Can't change the colours, etc. if we don't.

edited November 10

All right. Here is a "beta release" ... anybody downloading it is expected to test it and let me know if there are any issues before I make a whole bunch of 'em, thank you.

The Shader was made with some .99 settings, these I changed to 1 in the Shader Preset. The Shader Preset should be loadable to 'most any surface.

The cutout works for making the entire surface transparent by degrees. Possibly not too useful for carpets but hay.

Edit/Update: No issues reported so far so am removing the beta release and planning to prepare and release some of these plugins later on. Thank you very much to all who have helped.

Carpet Floral Gray.png
    1154 x 700 - 637K
    cutout works.png
    1368 x 719 - 396K
  • As it could us a few more blue moons to figure out how to make a double-sided shader, this is the day to purchase this item {if you want one}:

https://www.daz3d.com/oso-janus-double-sided-shader-merchant-resource-for-iray

With a couple debut items {if going to buy them anyway} in the cart, price drops down a wee bit more.

And as this is also the freebie forum, for those that snagged the LoRes figures these pose packages may be of interest, and they are free.

https://sharecg.com/v/90314/related/21/DAZ-Studio/Body-Talk-for-Loretta-Lorez

https://sharecg.com/v/82543/gallery/21/DAZ-Studio/LoRez-Rider-for-Petipet-SciFi-Vehicles

• Silver DolphinSilver Dolphin Posts: 1,143

Yeah, I picked up all that stuff too. Thank you for the links to the poses for lowrez people very usefull!

• Spent a few hours trying to work out something of a tut with regards to Decimator, etc. Not happening lol ... too many issues although I've discovered a few more ways to crash D/S.

If using Decimator on figures such as G8, yes it works however it is a one session deal. No way to save the LOD. One can export out the figure as an .obj for example. Settings have been drastically altered since the last edition of D/S I was working with.

So the scoop is, export out from D/S using Carrara settings. Import into D/S that same object using Carrara settings.

Importing/exporting mesh for between D/S and Hexagon is a nightmare. It's either HUGE or tiny ... one import setting into D/S worked if using Poser BUT at only 1000, not that 23 thousand or whatever, setting. As the "what used to be" working settings between these 2 programs no longer "is" ... that will undoubtedly mess up prior instructions be they in tutorials or for loading .obj morph forms etc., and yes, I have sent in a Support Ticket so maybe they'll fix this. Or not.

If you want super lores figures I would suggest using such in the first place.

Anyhow, one can load for example, G8M, lower to base resolution and zap the subDs, decimate 55%, no lower. [the eyes will go weird].

Pose this figure using basic pose presets [remember these are for background figures, not to go nuts over details] ... export out an .obj file for each pose.

Clear scene, load the regular figure and put some clothing on it. Pose it. Hide it, export out ONLY the clothing.

When done the list, clear the scene, import in the posed model and also the matching posed clothing model. Do NOT parent one to the other. [jumps all over the place]. Make a GROUP of the items, and then one can select the root of the group and place it where wanted.

Now for the figure, you may notice that the seams went all wonky. Do not panic. Check over on the uvmaps sections on the Surface Tab. It is possibly saying 'basic' ... change that back to 'default' and all should be as well as it's going to get.

To lower count for clothing, best to go with lowering the quality of texture images as the clothing requires mesh to look like clothing.

I am not in the gaming world so these instructions may or not help with those situations. But this is what can work if one is like trying to fill up a Museum with a bunch of wax figures for example.

And 'no' one cannot 'share' all of their derivative products which is why we have tutorials so everybody who wants to, can make their own.

• Thanks for the tips, I used to do the obj trick, now I just use the cutout people for masses of people. I would also do the dept of field trick to hide how bad they looked as well.

• Thanks for the tips, I used to do the obj trick, now I just use the cutout people for masses of people. I would also do the dept of field trick to hide how bad they looked as well.

To get a better looking crowd one can also use "instances" ... remember that we can rename the main figure in the Scene [i.e. Genesis 8 green ; Genesis 8 blue] as one picks one figure and then makes "instances" of that figure, all the instances will colour and pose as the figure they were made from.

New Node Instances.png
    978 x 788 - 159K
    Chorus Line Appears - mimic changes made to the original.png
    1331 x 727 - 278K
  • MilosGulanMilosGulan Posts: 1,628

Cool thanks for info about decimator, for some time it is on my high priority wishlist, I will need to write it down :). I am just curious about props, can it lower them from high to low res and is it complicated. Just, a picture what can be done, I guess I coud goodle it or search for it on Youtube. I have downloaded cardboard tutorials will give it a go soon :) I mean durning next week though I am now very busy with my studies.

edited November 10

Success! Got the NVidia VMats being read by D/S! The first part will be released in its own thread.

success.png
    1000 x 1000 - 542K
  • Cool thanks for info about decimator, for some time it is on my high priority wishlist, I will need to write it down :). I am just curious about props, can it lower them from high to low res and is it complicated. Just, a picture what can be done, I guess I coud goodle it or search for it on Youtube. I have downloaded cardboard tutorials will give it a go soon :) I mean durning next week though I am now very busy with my studies.

You're welcome.

Yes it can decimate props BUT props tend to be made more losres in the first place and so for many it isn't really worth it. It is a plugin that was made years back and generally speaking packaged up with what one needs for gaming. Many changes have improved models over the years. To be honest, while I have it, I seldom use it.

• MilosGulanMilosGulan Posts: 1,628

Yes, but I have very old computer :)) my struggle is to make things work with it. I need to optimize things, probably will be useful in larger scenes :), if someone have need for that... like me angel

• Yes, but I have very old computer :)) my struggle is to make things work with it. I need to optimize things, probably will be useful in larger scenes :), if someone have need for that... like me angel

Um, not really -- because you can't save 'em. You would have to remake them everytime you opened the scene.

You could try rendering smaller scenes and then gluing them together in an image editor like G.I.M.P. or whatever you are using to work with layers.

These props you are wanting to be of lower resolution, are they props you've made yourself or from other sources?

edited November 17

Did some 3D doodling, managed to save this as a scene subset. Have no idea if sharing just that would enable others to use it too if they want one.

This is a very short video clip, avi made in D/S.

Edit: I removed the video, those are pretty "sounds like they want to close YouTube" kinda terms being promoted these days, want no part of it.

edited November 14

Here's the little tutorial that produced the Carpet Runners ;-)

Minor detail update for how to Save a Basic Shader Preset - one needs to have the appropriate render engine selected before making the prop.

Click here for the tutorial pdf in a zip

Making Shader Presets Promo.png
    773 x 1000 - 246K
  • Oooh, thank you tutorials are always nice.

• You're welcome.

Working on the next one ... a simple curtain and made a marvellous discovery.

So HU all, do NOT "label" two or more morphs the same because D/S will unite them! hahaha [not]... solution will be to delete the morphs and try again ...

edited November 23

Some have been asking if it's possible to join two different figures together, and yes it is. One can add a part as a geograft to the other however -- one will lose the uvmaps so those would have to be remade AND depending upon what figures one puts together, the rigging on the geograft would also need to be redone if planning to animate it.

For fun, here is Pugman head [G8M] on the Dobie's body. Poses have to be done manually.

No tutorial this weekend, working on more Shaders and presets, etc. ... it's amazing how many textures of cemete there can be lol ...

Pugman Head Dobie Body.png
    1000 x 1000 - 390K
    edited November 26

Okay ... V4 is free this week so if all nab a copy if they don't already have the model, the next tutorial could be on getting V4's clothes to fit Genesis. The package includes a few clothing items too. Check the weekly freebies page.

Additional for those interested in learning how to texture, there is a rare/hard to find free to use even for freebies, a MR [merchant resource] skin for G8F : click here for sharecg.com link. The first thing to do with any such item, is take a screengrab of the page. Keep that. Then download and check through the files as one usually does. Whether or not you like the skin, that iris is precious. Make copies of the skin texture, making a full set of black/white images. Also came across these "non-commercial" fantasy irises: click here for sharecg.com link.

I mention these items here because I will be using them to illustrate an upcoming tutorial, so everybody that wants to can follow along. If one has their own resources, that's fine too.

I have one tutorial's images in the "editing basket" - hoping for release later on this week. That one covers fitting clothing from V4's closet to Genesis and through all the G clans. {and yes folks, one can fit G8 clothing to G2 without buying anything - my autofit clones are free}

After that tutorial is finished I plan to start one on texturing. I was hoping to work on the Klingon figure for G8M however the copyright owner has yet to read his mail so ... moving over to G8F for the tutorial.

edited November 28

Here it is!    Making Clothing using AutoFit in Daz Studio {in a zip folder}

A walk through tutorial converting the boots and the bodysuit from V4.2's closet to Genesis, G2F, G3F and of course G8F. Bonus, showing a reverse step to convert the clothing from G8F back to G2F.

Essential tools required:

a clothing piece from V4's closet {grab the bundle while it's free if you haven't yet}

Daz Studio {4.5+ I used 4.12}

My autofit clones!

Nice to have: the V4 shapes etc. for Genesis.

Making Clothing using Autofit promo.png
    773 x 1000 - 170K
  • Thank you. Free is always nice, and knowlege is power.