Gianni 8.1

Fungible UserFungible User Posts: 456
edited February 2021 in Product Suggestions

[Gianni 8]....that's all I have to say. Ok, maybe also a Gianni 6 and 7 for Gianni 8...

post edit: OK let's try for Gianni 8.1!! I realise that I am being completely unrealisitc and this is just a pipe dream, but sometimes if you put things out in the universe...well, hey, you never know. 

Post edited by Fungible User on

Comments

• SigurdSigurd Posts: 1,084

I loved Gianni. Good Character.

• Is not a pretty white girl. Probably not happening.

• MimicMollyMimicMolly Posts: 2,113
    I settled for Brute 8, in lower amounts, because he had what I liked about Gianni 6. Still, I'm curious about how Gianni 8 would look. Because some G8 bases with those legacy names don't really look like their previous incarnation.
  • andreretogasserandreretogasser Posts: 256
    edited September 2019
    I settled for Brute 8, in lower amounts, because he had what I liked about Gianni 6.

I thought Brute 8 was a good idea at first ... but in practice I have to say that in most projects I replace him after a first overall glance. The Brute 8 is simply too much of everything to satisfy my standards of realism. He transforms all the pictures I use him into caricatures. In this sense, a "moderate bully like Gianni 6" would certainly be a good idea.

Post edited by andreretogasser on
  • I love Gianni and was looking forward to his Gen8 version, but I'm not sure if Elios is supposed to replace him. He certainly could pass off for an older Gianni 7 version.

• I think I would be happy if someone just did a Gianni 6 for Genesis 8 Male morph and skin. He is such a great character. They did a Heroes product https://www.daz3d.com/genesis-2-legacies-for-genesis-3-male-heroes way back when. It would be really cool to have something like this for G8M, but the Gianni 6 wasn't very convincing, but I'm not complaining. I suppose if push came to shove I could do a Genesis 3 morph of Gianni 6 from Heroes and morph him with Zev0's upcoming Xtransfer product, which looks really promising. 

• MimicMollyMimicMolly Posts: 2,113
    I settled for Brute 8, in lower amounts, because he had what I liked about Gianni 6.

I thought Brute 8 was a good idea at first ... but in practice I have to say that in most projects I replace him after a first overall glance. The Brute 8 is simply too much of everything to satisfy my standards of realism. He transforms all the pictures I use him into caricatures. In this sense, a "moderate bully like Gianni 6" would certainly be a good idea.

Yeah, I don't exactly aim for realism when I use him. I just want a stylized man to match the stylized women in my Runtime.

A less stylized beefcake guy is always welcome.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,926

I've actually know quite a few folk with the Brute's build, jawline, head & such but when you see such folk outside the context of line play on a football team they seem not realistic even in real life somewhat.

• I've actually know quite a few folk with the Brute's build.

Let me guess: Rugby?

• RIP Gianni - I loved you man! (...sniff)  crying

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,926

I've actually know quite a few folk with the Brute's build.

Let me guess: Rugby?

Yes, and line play in football or center in basketball but most of the time they wouldn't have anything to do with sports.

• Dear Santa - I have been a good boy all year long and have not once joined up all the paperclips together in the stationary storeroom, wrapped my colleague's desk in tin foil, or filled their desks with confetti. So, with this in mind, may I please ask for Gianni 8 again this year. I guess something must have happened and you couldn't deliver it last year. That's ok, Santa, I know you must be very busy, so please accept my apologies for this late request. I promise you'll get your favorite cookies again this year, and I pinky promise not to stay up past bed time to catch a glimpse of you. Say hi to Rudoplph for me xx

• vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,813
    edited December 2020

For what it's worth: you can kinda sorta get Gianni 6 shape to G8M, depending on what things you have, and how much work you're willing to go through. For the easiest method, you'd need to have Character Converter G2M to G8M to do it. There are other methods, but that way would be the simplest. (His texture would require a few other things, because he was done back in the days of unique character UVs, and because he's two generations ago, when the texture had a different layout.) You can also use XTransfer or Character Converter G3M to bring Gianni 7 over.

I wound up using a different process -- partly by accident, actually -- but Gianni 6 came through mostly OK. He looks ... closely related to himself, let's say.

I've got something else rendering, and then I have to take care of some other business, but I can do a render for you later tonight, if you want to see how they compare.

(A Gianni 8 morph was reportedly seen in the morph list for some product -- I don't know which one -- but that was nearly three years ago now. I think that was almost certainly some kind of mistake; it's been just over two years since the last of the Genesis 3 characters -- Eva 8 -- had a new version for Genesis 8.)

Post edited by vwrangler on
  • Hey @vwrangler, thanks very much. I actually did mange to get a morph from XTransfer that was pretty good. There was a uv product way back when that had G6 male character uv's in it, Gianni included. I was really hoping that they would continue such a beloved character into the 8 series, but I don't think Gianni 7 got much love, but yeah, you're right...they ended the 7 succession a long time ago.  (sigh)

• Cora ReginaCora Regina Posts: 731
    edited January 2021

empty said:

Hey @vwrangler, thanks very much. I actually did mange to get a morph from XTransfer that was pretty good. There was a uv product way back when that had G6 male character uv's in it, Gianni included. I was really hoping that they would continue such a beloved character into the 8 series, but I don't think Gianni 7 got much love, but yeah, you're right...they ended the 7 succession a long time ago.  (sigh)

@empty Do you remember which UV product it was? I'm in the process of bringing Gianni 6 over to G8M via G3M, and got a decent XTransfer morph off of the Genesis 2 Legacies product except for where the outer corners of the eyes are kinda... fused. Still need to post in the XT thread about how to fix that, and figure out what current HD morphs might kinda stand in for the Gianni 6 one since HD doesn't transfer. Nothing really looks quite like the original, sadly, and especially not like Gianni HD.

But I haven't seen any UV product that includes Gianni's UVs. There's one that includes geografts and UVs for M5, M6, and base G2M, so to use it with Gianni's materials you have to first use Map Transfer to convert them to the G2M base. I will say that the Gianni 6 morph in that Legacies pack looks way more convincing than the promos do when you have Gianni's own materials applied. Having something that could use his UVs without the intermediate step would be great.

I wish I had the money to pay someone to create a perfectly accurate, G8M version of Gianni 6 and an accompanying HD morph. It's a nice fantasy, lol. He's always been my favorite.

Post edited by Cora Regina on

I don't think there's currently anything in the store that will allow you to use Gianni 6 textures on G3/G8M without doing the intermediate map transfer step.

The problem is that the Gianni 6 UV was used by Gianni 6 himself, Hector for Gianni 6, Svengar for Gianni 6 and Atticus for Gianni 6 ... and that's it. The UV wasn't even used for the other two characters in Gianni's pro bundle, which was strikingly unusual for that time; Ryze and Taric are both G2 Base Male UV. I can't imagine there was a whole lot of demand for whatever it was. (I'm kind of amazed there was demand for RedzStudio's similar product for G3, given that for pretty much every character but Michael and Victoria, there was one and only one character with the named UV for each pro bundle ... and not a huge number of characters using M7/V7 UVs.)

When I transferred Gianni's texture, I had to use map transfer to get him to G2 Base Male, then Texture Transformer (from elsewhere) to completely rewrite the G2 Base Male texture to G3/G8 Base Male. I hated doing it -- that sort of two-step means that there will be unavoidable detail loss, since the source textures are JPG -- but it was the only way I could think to make it work.

Technically, you'd probably also want to replace Gianni 6 normal maps with the normal maps of whatever HD you decide to use. (The closest one I can imagine is Brute, actually; even though he's a stylized character, he's also the only character with anything like the body shape that Gianni had, and the HD and normal maps won't bring things like the oversize hands and feet and head along for the ride.) That way the HD and the normal maps, which are meant to work together, should match. Also, as I understand it, Daz normal maps got MUCH better after G2.

• Cora Regina said:

empty said:

Hey @vwrangler, thanks very much. I actually did mange to get a morph from XTransfer that was pretty good. There was a uv product way back when that had G6 male character uv's in it, Gianni included. I was really hoping that they would continue such a beloved character into the 8 series, but I don't think Gianni 7 got much love, but yeah, you're right...they ended the 7 succession a long time ago.  (sigh)

@empty Do you remember which UV product it was? I'm in the process of bringing Gianni 6 over to G8M via G3M, and got a decent XTransfer morph off of the Genesis 2 Legacies product except for where the outer corners of the eyes are kinda... fused. Still need to post in the XT thread about how to fix that, and figure out what current HD morphs might kinda stand in for the Gianni 6 one since HD doesn't transfer. Nothing really looks quite like the original, sadly, and especially not like Gianni HD.

But I haven't seen any UV product that includes Gianni's UVs. There's one that includes geografts and UVs for M5, M6, and base G2M, so to use it with Gianni's materials you have to first use Map Transfer to convert them to the G2M base. I will say that the Gianni 6 morph in that Legacies pack looks way more convincing than the promos do when you have Gianni's own materials applied. Having something that could use his UVs without the intermediate step would be great.

I wish I had the money to pay someone to create a perfectly accurate, G8M version of Gianni 6 and an accompanying HD morph. It's a nice fantasy, lol. He's always been my favorite.

Hi Cora, I'm really sorry but I got this completely wrong. It wasn't a UV set it was a shape set, which you mentioned: https://www.daz3d.com/genesis-2-legacies-for-genesis-3-male-heroes . I went looking for it the other day and swore to myself that I had, but alas it was just a shape mod.

• Yep, me again - hoping the squeky wheel gets the oil. I know, I know, it ain't probably gonna happen, but there's no harm in pushing the narrative. Maybe a PA might create a collab line of 'Retro Daz Stars of Yesteryear' and bring back some time honored classic figures for the 8.1 series as a one-off.  Anything is possible. 

empty said:

Yep, me again - hoping the squeky wheel gets the oil. I know, I know, it ain't probably gonna happen, but there's no harm in pushing the narrative. Maybe a PA might create a collab line of 'Retro Daz Stars of Yesteryear' and bring back some time honored classic figures for the 8.1 series as a one-off.  Anything is possible. 

Hey, you never know. Maybe the reason he got pulled after we saw a morph fit for him -- assuming it wasn't an outright error -- was because they thought, "You know, we already have The Brute planned as a sort of muscleman type, if a lot more stylized than realistic. Maybe we should hold Gianni for the planned 8.1 generation, since we probably won't repeat Brute for that."

My suspicion, based on nothing besides history, is that for 8.1 they'll probably repeat all the characters that have repeated from Genesis 2 through Genesis 8 (I think that's Michael, Victoria, Olympia, Gia, Darius, Monique, Aiko, The Girl, Lee, Mei Lin and Teen Josie -- the other repeats, like Stephanie, Eva, Mika, either didn't start until Genesis 3 or skipped Genesis 3). And it's not out of the question that some of the others might repeat as well (especially Stephanie, I'd think). But depending on how long they plan for G8.1 to run -- at least a year, probably longer, I'd guess -- they'll need other characters to fill in for the biweekly tempo they've tried to maintain. Yes, some of them will be nonhumans and minibundles, like Baxter the Bulldog this week, but most will be human. So why not stick Gianni in one of those slots?