Strand Based Hair Freebies

JoepingletonJoepingleton Posts: 746
edited June 2019 in Freebies

I don't know how to delete this thread

Post edited by Joepingleton on

Comments

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,313

The link iis asking me for a decription key to be able to access the file.

• JoepingletonJoepingleton Posts: 746
    edited June 2019

Sorry, This is my first time using Mega to share a file. I replaced the link above.

scorpio said:

The link iis asking me for a decription key to be able to access the file.

Sorry, This is my first time using Mega to share a file. I replaced the link it should have been https://mega.nz/#!jOJQ0Qxb!M4dtJVXwudUDbrHRFghTmUL7gaDspuDPi3XExHXZ5q4

Thanks and Thanks

A couple of things. You don't need the Content folder.

Major problem no hair is showing up or rendering, I think you may need to include the data folder.

edited June 2019

Do you have Noggin's Hamster? I am not sure what SBH does if the original model is not installed. There really isn't anything in the data folder linked to Strand Based Hair.  I also forgot to mention, That all my SBH experiments were Iray only. I didn't get a chance to play with then in 3DL. So they just have the base 3DL hair shaders. 

This is my first time sharing Strand Based Hair so there may be a lot of problems sharing them that I haven't anticipated or don't know the solution for the problems encountered.  If anyone has any tips it would be greatly appreciated.

scorpio said:

A couple of things. You don't need the Content folder.

Major problem no hair is showing up or rendering, I think you may need to include the data folder.

Do you have Noggin's Hamster? I am not sure what SBH does if the original model is not installed. There really isn't anything in the data folder linked to Strand Based Hair.  I also forgot to mention, That all my SBH experiments were Iray only. I didn't get a chance to play with then in 3DL. So they just have the base 3DL hair shaders. 

This is my first time sharing Strand Based Hair so there may be a lot of problems sharing them that I haven't anticipated or don't know the solution for the problems encountered.  If anyone has any tips it would be greatly appreciated.

Yep I have noggins hamster and used Iray. If its not the data file I'm unable to help because I probably know less than you.

Just took a look, in the data folder under Daz 3D is a folder for the G8F/M Dforce Hair Mohawk, so it might mean that something is required; but that is dforce hair so it could be different. Sorry I can't really help I would love to be able to use your presets you really seem to have got a grip on the creation process.

edited June 2019

Hmmm, there doesn't appear to be anything in the data folder related to these Strand Based Hair settings

If I try to edit theres nothing to edit..

Sorry the DUF file didn't work either.

I really hope you get this sorted out.

• Mustakettu85Mustakettu85 Posts: 2,933

Joepingleton, what option did you use to save the hair? When we were sharing presets for Garibaldi (that the strand hair tool is based on), we had to save the hair as a wearable.

edited June 2019

It looks they are saved as wearable by default since they follow the poses of the character.  I think I am missing something critical in the process if sharing a straight .DUF doesn't work.  I just wish I knew what it was.

Joepingleton, what option did you use to save the hair? When we were sharing presets for Garibaldi (that the strand hair tool is based on), we had to save the hair as a wearable.

It looks they are saved as wearable by default since they follow the poses of the character.  I think I am missing something critical in the process if sharing a straight .DUF doesn't work.  I just wish I knew what it was.

So did you select the hair and then went to the file menu and selected "save as wearable"?

edited June 2019

Oh sorry, I misunderstood what you were saying.  I just saved it as a scene subset preset,  it's been allowing me to create new instances from these presets for my images. I am not sure why it wouldn't work as a normal DUF for other people. 

It looks they are saved as wearable by default since they follow the poses of the character.  I think I am missing something critical in the process if sharing a straight .DUF doesn't work.  I just wish I knew what it was.

So did you select the hair and then went to the file menu and selected "save as wearable"?

Oh sorry, I misunderstood what you were saying.  I just saved it as a scene subset preset,  it's been allowing me to create new instances from these presets for my images. I am not sure why it wouldn't work as a normal DUF for other people. 

Who knows :) Some things in DS kind of defy logic.

edited June 2019
    scorpio said:

If I try to edit theres nothing to edit..

Sorry the DUF file didn't work either.

I really hope you get this sorted out.

I just reuploaded (and replaced the link in the main post) a revised version of the SBH Hamster preset that I had other people test and it worked for them.  Let me know if this latest version works for you.

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,153

It has become very apparent that DAZ isn't going to allow users to create dForce Strand Based Hair (or even discuss the topic). So I have decided not to waste any more time with DAZ Strand Based Hair experiments. I thought I should share what I have created at Strand Based Hair Freebies so others can learn from my mistakes.

I sorry to hear this Joe. I wonder what it is that daz does not want us sharing about the strand base hair? i made a few strand hair/w deforce presets the other night for teen joise. are you telling me i can't share those presets? i wnder why?

edited June 2019
    Ivy said:

I sorry to hear this Joe. I wonder what it is that daz does not want us sharing about the strand base hair? i made a few strand hair/w deforce presets the other night for teen joise. are you telling me i can't share those presets? i wnder why?

That is very interesting because DAZ had explicitly told us only PAs will be given access to the tools to create dForce Strand Based Hair.  Hows did you create dForce SBH?  Did you just add a dForce modifier to the SBH? 

As far as I know, we can share any SBH we create.

edited June 2019

I just used what came with the daz 11 update and added deforce modifiers to strand base hair,   I made 2 hair sets one long hair with deforce modifiers and one short hair set using the same preset only I shorten the strand hair and tied it back using a null parented to the neck. as a experiment 'm trying to learn how i can use it in animation.here is a test render of it.   I am currently using my strand hair set in  animation short called the nelsons to see how i can get the darn hair thingy to lay flat. it always wants to stick out like a porcupine.

So we can share our strand hair base projects then?  Because all I did was make it with the daz strand hair that came with the daz 11 upgrade. painted it with wieght mapping & used deforce modifier to make it dynamic , I may need to add some more or redo the wieght map to it to make it lay flat though i seem to be having issues with that usless i tie it down parenting it to a null then it looks deformed.  . I am trying to use it on 3DU & Joe quick toon character? I'll b posting my animation results ina day or 2 i am stll rendering out the final scene . it was all renderd in iray as a deforce clothing & hair test using strand hair base and conforming clothing converted to deforce.

phone face image.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 244K
    Post edited by Ivy on
    edited June 2019
    Ivy said:

I just used what came with the daz 11 update and added deforce modifiers to strand base hair,   I made 2 hair sets one long hair with deforce modifiers and one short hair set using the same preset only I shorten the strand hair and tied it back using a null parented to the neck. as a experiment 'm trying to learn how i can use it in animation.here is a test render of it.   I am currently using my strand hair set in  animation short called the nelsons to see how i can get the darn hair thingy to lay flat. it always wants to stick out like a porcupine.

So we can share our strand hair base projects then?  Because all I did was make it with the daz strand hair that came with the daz 11 upgrade. painted it with wieght mapping & used deforce modifier to make it dynamic , I may need to add some more or redo the wieght map to it to make it lay flat though i seem to be having issues with that usless i tie it down parenting it to a null then it looks deformed.  . I am trying to use it on 3DU & Joe quick toon character? I'll b posting my animation results ina day or 2 i am stll rendering out the final scene . it was all renderd in iray as a deforce clothing & hair test using strand hair base and conforming clothing converted to deforce.

We can apply dForce modifiers to SBH, but users can't create true dForce SBH like the dForce SBH products and samples. True dForce SBH has many more options than a dForce modifier applied to static SBH, such as there is no need to apply a weight mapping to get it to drape correctly.  

That said, what you create looks good.  It's definitely a lot better than my experiments of applying a dForce modifier to SBH.  I found it was making the hair really thick and it was simulating very slowly and inconsistently. It also seemed to become unwieldy at anything more than a small number of hairs.

Its all a experiment Joe. I have not be able to make my hairs look as good as yours on animals.  But on people i think i got it figured out.  So all I am going to say for the moment is I started with a geometry shell and grew my strand hair from there. I made it in layers making each layer longer than the last then styled it back using the strand bush tool  saved it as a wearable preset then reloaded and painted it with weight map( which made the hair lighter easier to render and i could add morphs deformers to the weight map..) and then saved again and reloaded added a deforce modifier to each layer of strand base hair and saved it again with the deforce modifiers as a wearable hair set.  I used Tom's stain-glass shader for the hair texture because that was the best texture i could find for rendering to make it look right. and not take forever to render it out.,  that is all I am going to reveal for now,   if i can work out the porcupine bug i have in it,  I  may like to submit it to sell as a strand hair preset. I'm pretty excited about strand hair because I've been wanting dynamic hair for ages.

Anyway i do not want to give away to much yet on how i did it. i would love to have SBH SDK, then i could properly work out that porcupine effect in a snap that i keep getting . but with out the sdk I'm  I'm stuck working with modifiers and such the old fashion way. which is all i really all I did was apply old techniques to new technology. not the best results a in the world but its getting there. its better than using conforming hair converted to deforce if you want something customizable..  So give me a day or 2 to finish this rendering. Its kind of cute animation. in spite of the hair flying away sticking up in the air.. The reason I tried using null was I was trying to make a pony tail out the strand base hair because i was looking for a work around for that porcupine effect. . i got something different though.so a happy accident i figured.. .lol

• You can use dForce cloth on hair, as has always been possible (think of the Linday product, and some from LLF).

Yes indeed I have love lindays deforce curly hair set and even 3d universe deforce dayton hair . But I can't seem to animate neither of them without crashing daz , especially when i am using deforce clothing at the same time. I even tried turning off simulation on one of the other & try simulate 1 item at a time but deforce hair is a resource hog  and long hair just takes forever to simulate, never mind trying to render it.  but i do love the looks of deforce hair accept for the one issue with deforce hair it always like to fall in front of the characters face. with the strand hair set I can use a weight map to keep it pushed off to the side when using deforce which looks great in my test.

also strand base hair is very much like Look at My Hair Plugin, which is easy to apply that technique using LAMH to strand hair and strand hair was easy to grow on a geometry shell which you can make a wearable. You know me I was just messing around always looking for short cut to animation

Halfway through this last scene smiley

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146

Thanks so much.  Very generous of you!  smiley

RAMWolff said:

Thanks so much.  Very generous of you!  smiley

Thank you, Let me know how they work out for you. I was getting much better results once I went to the three layers of hair like real hair is structured, but I was concerned that no one other than me would want to use it set-up like that. :)