[Updated to V1.3 - now MacOS support] FLUIDOS: a fluids simulator plugin for Daz Studio (commercial)

Comments

• jaebeajaebea Posts: 454

eeeeeek!!!  I have to wait until payday next weekend!  I can't stand it!  I want it NOW!!

• nierostanierosta Posts: 16
    edited September 2018
    Alberto said:
    nierosta said:

Alberto, this is a fantastic plugin - it even made me post my first message in this forum! laugh

Please can you post some further information on what to expect from the OpenCL feature? On my system, a simulation other than the basic one from the tutorial is very slow (up to several hours) and there is no noticeable difference in speed when i turn OpenCL on or off.

The plugin log tells me that an OpenCL device has been found:

CL_DEVICE_NAME:                GeForce GTX 980
    CL_DEVICE_VENDOR:              NVIDIA Corporation
    CL_DEVICE_VERSION:             OpenCL 1.2 CUDA
    CL_DRIVER_VERSION:             399.07
    CL_DEVICE_OPENCL_C_VERSION:    OpenCL C 1.2 

However, i can see not more than 1-3% usage on the "Compute_0" device of the GPU. I was expecting similar load like IRay or dForce but i may be wrong with my expectations.

Welcome to the forum!

The engine uses the GPU only in two steps (maybe you see the peaks of usage) and not intensively.

Are you using high resolution Domain?, the most critical properties for simulation speed are Cell size and Domain (X,Y,Z) size, a too low cell size compared with Domain size could be very slow.

If you really need the high resolution, you could increase the CFL condition number to speed up the calculations. Even you could disable the CFL condition number by setting a 0.0 value (Beware: 0.1 value don't disable CFL and could cause a very very slow simulation). The prices is some loss of accuracy in the results.

Thank you for your reply! Seems that i have to use higher resolutions wisely.

In the below example i simply slapped a G3F figure into a 100x100x100 domain with 0.5 cell size - resulting in a calculation time of 10 hours (120 frames)  on a [email protected] blush

fluid-test.jpg
    640 x 512 - 270K
    Post edited by nierosta on
  • ImagoImago Posts: 4,900

Nierosta, you can increase the cell size to 0.50 and increase a bit the subdivision, one point should suffice.

Simulation times should be shorter without losing too much definition in the result.

Also tweak a bit the smoothing iterations for the fine details. wink

• thd777 said:
    thd777 said:

So I'm getting some really weird simulations and thinking I'm missing something.

These are from copying the basic tut with mnor changes

The Domain is the default except the Y is raised to 150  (100 x 150 x100)

The sink is default size 10x10x10 and moved to center at 50x100x50

The drain is unchanged/unmoved

I copy pasted the domain to the mesher though noticed no change. I noticed that the domains scale is changed in "Fluidos" menu but always stays at 100% in transforms, the mesher doesnt have the scales in "Fluidos" menu.

The first pic is with vilocity on X at 100.. the sim seems to crawl along an invisable path on the back half of the 10size cube....

The second pic shows the velocity on the -100 Y and shows more how the fluid seems to be stuck in an invisable X 10scale barrier withing the much larger domain...

Gunna tinker around more but if anyone knows what might be causing this, it'd be a big help. :)

Does your system have on-board graphics (like an Intel)? I got that kind of artifact and it turned out that the plugin defaulted to the on-board Intel graphics rather than my nVidia GPU. It worked fine when set to CPU (under preferred device). Once I disabled the on-board graphics it worked fine with the nVidia card. My guess is that the drivers for the on-board graphics are not up to snuff with OpenCL.

Ciao

TD

Heh not sure, I know I have a GeForce card but dont know where to check to see if its doing the load or any onboard.

You can check if there is a video output in the motherboard in the back of the PC or you can open the Device Manager see what is listed under display devices. The Device manager is also where you can disable the on-board graphics if you have one (right click on the device and select disable)  

Ciao

TD

That did the trick,

I disabled the Intel UHD and left the GeForce GTX 1060 6GB on, then restarted. Works great, plus its super fast with 32gb of memory. :DD these at Cell size 2 and subD 2 took about 4 seconds. I'll mess around with more in depth stuff over the next few days.

fluidostest03.jpg
    1458 x 908 - 199K
    fluidostest04.jpg
    1458 x 908 - 212K
  • Leana said:
    KevinH said:

I bought this and installed it through Daz Connect.I see there is a serial number, but I don't see the product listed under plug-ins. Is there some place else I am suppose to enter the serial number. I do see the product listed under the F's in the product folder. There are eight icons.

From memory, Connect can't install plugins, only content. So it probably installed content for the plugin but not the plugin itself. Which would mean that's there's a separate installer for the plugin that you'll have to install either through DIM or manually.

edit: I just checked, the product page lists 4 install files: 32 and 64 bits installers for the plugin, a DSON Core file (probably the one you installed) and a tutorial installer.

Thanks, Leana. I installed with DIM and now it shows up so I can enter my serial number. I wonder why they listed DAZ Connect as an installer, if plugs-ins can't be installed that way. Not to mention that it showed up in the Connect installer panel.

• Now that I'm over the wonky graphix card issue, any chance on a .pdf cheat sheet on what each item and property does? Videos are great and all but having a writen explination really helps for quick referencing as well. :)

One quick question though, is there a way to change the emitter? Say like instead of one side of a cube, haveing every other face on the outside of a cone emit the fluid?

• thd777thd777 Posts: 932
    edited September 2018

Now that I'm over the wonky graphix card issue, any chance on a .pdf cheat sheet on what each item and property does? Videos are great and all but having a writen explination really helps for quick referencing as well. :)

One quick question though, is there a way to change the emitter? Say like instead of one side of a cube, haveing every other face on the outside of a cone emit the fluid?

Don't know if you have found it already, but under "Content/ReadMe's" you can find a recipes pdf and and a manual. I found those very helpful and comprehensive. Better than a lot of manuals that I have seen for other plug-ins.

Ciao

TD

Post edited by thd777 on
  • jamesl767jamesl767 Posts: 15
    edited September 2018
    Alberto said:

Thanks I missed that part working now

Did you download the updated sample scenes from https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/3915701/#Comment_3915701 ?

Richard, I reviewed the scenes in the DIM package and in the manual package and they're exactly the same than the updated, after all, and they're OK.

jamesl767 said:

the plug-in keeps demanding more elements to work when you load up the tutorial scene It tries to  update from the update server but the plug-in doesn't seem to load the fluid domains and you can't add them from the create menu, how can i  troubleshoot the plug in

thanks

James, did you installed the plugin with DIM? The package is "FLUIDOS for DAZ Studio (Win 64 bits)" [or "FLUIDOS for DAZ Studio (Win 32 bits)" for a 32 bits OS]

After installing, did you registered the plugin with your serial number, in "Help - About of Installed Plugins"  menu?

Thanks I missed that part working now

Post edited by jamesl767 on
  • AlbertoAlberto Posts: 1,382

The emitter could be a cuboid (a cube that you can resize X, Y o Z sizes independently) or a sphere (you can control the radius size). Set OFF the "Is cuboid" property of the Sink/source for a sphere. By now, only this two forms.

• Does the entire collision-object have to be inside the simulation-box, or can I just stick the part that needs to collide into it?

Does the entire collision-object have to be inside the simulation-box, or can I just stick the part that needs to collide into it?

The object is not required to be entire inside the Domain, only the part you wish. The remaining, in the outside, is ignored by the plugin.

• The product page includes "Manual Install" as one of the install types, and also states "This product includes: 1 Win 32 Bit Installer  1 Win 64 Bit Installer" and yet I'm not seeing any download for the installers.  Is there any way of installing this product without using DIM?  If not, then Daz need to change the information on the product page.

• RuphussRuphuss Posts: 2,631

did somebody tried to combine this with "The Philosophers" nice water animation ?

would like to see that

• Hurdy3DHurdy3D Posts: 1,038
    edited September 2018

Hey,

I'm currently experimenting with Fluidos.

I using from the "Steampunk Achemy Set" a "Mortar" and aa "Flask-Round-Clear". The idea is that there is some water in the flask which falls into the Mortar.

Issue 1:

The Flask is ignored. Just falling through. I played with a lot of settings but didn't find a solution.

Issue 2:

I'm using 30 frames and each sec has 5 frames. That means the simution should be 6 sec. But if I look at the result, I don't look like 6 secs. There is still water falling in the motar. I would expect after 6 secs a still/clam water in the motar.

Screenshot (28).png
    1231 x 1049 - 147K
    Screenshot (29).png
    1234 x 1044 - 186K
    Screenshot (27).png
    1244 x 1044 - 208K
    motar after 6 secs.png
    1000 x 1300 - 1M
    Post edited by Hurdy3D on
    edited September 2018

Set the Frames per second to 30 in the domain and bring the total frames in the timeline to 90 or 120. Put same value in the "Number of frames" in the domain. This way you will get an animation of 3 or 4 secs. I suggest you to bring the subdivision to 2 in the first tests.
    About the flask, it must be parented to the domain to work as obstacle and MUST be a closed mesh, anything open will be ignored. If the mesh is a closed one, try increasing the Thicken

value in the prop's settings.

Post edited by Imago on
  • Both the flask and mortar would need to be set as "obstacles"

• GLEGLE Posts: 52

Once I understood that the Mesher and Domain foders need to be the same, everything is working.

Small bug report: you might see Daz Studio crashing if you move the Completion slider by mouse.

Is there some way to get multiple small streams from a single Fluidos Source? Showerheads, rain and other "lots of droplets" scenarios might benefit.

Both the flask and mortar would need to be set as "obstacles"

Every prop is automatically an obstacle once perented to the domain. Maybe you mean "Enable Moving objects" in the domain, but it isn't the case, as I can see.

The only option that alters prop's behaviour is "Is fluid mass" that converts the prop into fluid.

edited September 2018
    GLE said:

Once I understood that the Mesher and Domain foders need to be the same, everything is working.

Small bug report: you might see Daz Studio crashing if you move the Completion slider by mouse.

Is there some way to get multiple small streams from a single Fluidos Source? Showerheads, rain and other "lots of droplets" scenarios might benefit.

You can obtain a single small stream from one Source but not multiple. Anyway you can use multiple sources at once to obtain a similar effect.

About the completion, it could happen when the simulation is pretty big. Just do those regulations before doing the calulations or enable the "Preview" mode to use a low-res version of the fluids.

Post edited by Imago on
  • GLEGLE Posts: 52
    Imago said:
    GLE said:

You can obtain a single small stream from one Source but not multiple. Anyway you can use multiple sources at once to obtain a similar effect.

Will instancing the source work?

GLE said:
    Imago said:
    GLE said:

Will instancing the source work?

No, it will give you empty objects.

• Thank you all for your help. Slowly starting to understand how the plugin works.

I completely missed the excellent manuals because i was only looking in the tutorials package - for anyone else who didn't read the file list thorougly:

• /ReadMe's/54155_fluidos-recipes-guide.pdf

• /ReadMe's/54155_fluidos-user-manual.pdf

Also, the resolution settings are a valuable source to look at.

...down to less than half the time:

fluid-sim2w.JPG
    1213 x 942 - 162K
    fluid-sim2.jpg
    976 x 791 - 636K

Glad to have been helpful! wink

For GLE, here a quick example. I used five sources here without any noticeable increase in the simulation's time. You can use more than that to obtain your shower! laugh

• HavosHavos Posts: 5,305

Is there anyway of telling Fluidos which GPU to use? I have an inbuilt GPU on the motherboard, but when I disable this Daz Studio immediately crashes (even after I have rebooted).

When I run the simulations with GPU enabled I am getting wierd results where the fluid remains in a smaller area than the domain, and also disappears out of the box even when there is no sink. When I run using CPU the simulation works as expected. I assume therefore that Fluidos is selecting my on board GPU to use, rather than the 1080Ti. (Simulation times are about the same for GPU and CPU, which is another reason I suspect my primary GPU is not being used).

I don't have this problem with dForce Open CL, since the interface there allows to explictly choose which GPU to use. It would be great if I can do the same thing with Fluidos.

• gerster said:

Hey,

I using from the "Steampunk Achemy Set" a "Mortar" and aa "Flask-Round-Clear". The idea is that there is some water in the flask which falls into the Mortar.

Issue 1:

The Flask is ignored. Just falling through. I played with a lot of settings but didn't find a solution.

Issue 2:

I'm using 30 frames and each sec has 5 frames. That means the simution should be 6 sec. But if I look at the result, I don't look like 6 secs. There is still water falling in the motar. I would expect after 6 secs a still/clam water in the motar.

Another thing to remember is that the cuboid emitter can be set as to which axis which it will emit from - X (to the Right), Y (Up), or Z (Forwards). You can rotate the cuboid to reverse the direction (Left instead of Right, Down instead of Up, Back instead of Forward) as well as the angle, so you could make a drinking fountain or "dancing water" feature. Or a bidet.

The speed of the flow will also determine how far out it shoots, so placing the emitter into the mouth of the flask and rotating it so it shoots out of the flask and into the mortar could work. Unless you're trying to do a scene where the flask is unintentiionally leaking into the mortar, which would take a slower emission speed.

However, if the emitter is shooting into the flask instead of out, it will bounce off the interior, and itself, before going out the opening. This could be either good or bad, depends on the desired results and end results obtained.

The product page includes "Manual Install" as one of the install types, and also states "This product includes: 1 Win 32 Bit Installer  1 Win 64 Bit Installer" and yet I'm not seeing any download for the installers.  Is there any way of installing this product without using DIM?  If not, then Daz need to change the information on the product page.

The manual install don't includes the plugin itself, only contents.

There is a way to install manually, but you have to download the package via DIM (not for installing, only as a downloader).

The package to download is "FLUIDOS for DAZ Studio (Win 64 bits)" [or "FLUIDOS for DAZ Studio (Win 32 bits)" for a 32 bits OS]

When is downloaded, search for the file IM00054155-02_FLUIDOSforDAZStudioWin64bit.zip (or IM00054155-02_FLUIDOSforDAZStudioWin32bit.zip). Decompress. You will find these files:

Open the folder of Daz Studio software at Program Files/DAZ 3D/DAZStudio4. Notice that there are two folders called libs and plugins.

Go to the decompressed plugin files, open the subfolder "DAZ Studio_4.5;4.x Public Build;4.x Private Build"

Inside the subfolder plugins there is a subfolder called "ABFluidos". Copy this folder to the folder DAZStudio4/plugins 

Then go  to the decompressed plugin files, open the subfolder "DAZ Studio_4.5;4.x Public Build;4.x Private Build_(64-Bit)" [or "DAZ Studio_4.5;4.x Public Build;4.x Private Build_(32-Bit)"].

Copy the contents of subfolder "libs" to DAZStudio4/libs and the contents of "plugins" to DAZStudio4/plugins 

Finally  go  to the decompressed plugin files, open the subfolder "Temp_(64-Bit)" [or Temp_(32-Bit)]

run the bat file "run_vc17redist_x64.bat", and follow the instructions of this installer (it installs the needed C++ runtimes)

Now, you only need to register the plugin in Daz Studio. Here are the instructions: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/3916516/#Comment_3916516

Havos said:

Is there anyway of telling Fluidos which GPU to use? I have an inbuilt GPU on the motherboard, but when I disable this Daz Studio immediately crashes (even after I have rebooted).

When I run the simulations with GPU enabled I am getting wierd results where the fluid remains in a smaller area than the domain, and also disappears out of the box even when there is no sink. When I run using CPU the simulation works as expected. I assume therefore that Fluidos is selecting my on board GPU to use, rather than the 1080Ti. (Simulation times are about the same for GPU and CPU, which is another reason I suspect my primary GPU is not being used).

I don't have this problem with dForce Open CL, since the interface there allows to explictly choose which GPU to use. It would be great if I can do the same thing with Fluidos.

By now, there isn't a way to Fluidos do so. But I'm taking note of your wish for the next planned free update of Fluidos.

gerster said:

Hey,

Issue 1:

I noticed that your flask is in fact a closed mesh, but is too thin. There are three options to do:

1. Reduce the cell size (Main settings of the Domain), or
    2. Add a Geometry shell to the flask, or
    3. Increase the Thicken value of the flask (in its FLUIDOS/Obstacle properties).

I don't recommend you the option 1 for your scene because you will have to use a too small cell size (causing a very slow simulation)

Imago said:

Glad to have been helpful! wink

For GLE, here a quick example. I used five sources here without any noticeable increase in the simulation's time. You can use more than that to obtain your shower! laugh

Thank you Imago!

• Havos said:

At the bottom of the Parameters page for the Domain, you can select CPU or GPU. If you have multiple GPUs, it will only use one, and it can't be specified. If you've got a 1080ti and a lesser card, I don't know how it picks which one to use.