Better looking water

spswaffordspswafford Posts: 179
edited December 1969 in New Users

Hello,
In the attached pic, the water looks ok, by you cannot see into it. How do you get water to look clearer, more realistic?

On another note, I'm happier with my results after watching http://www.daz3d.com/tutorials/great-art-now-step-5-lights and http://www.daz3d.com/tutorials/great-art-now-step-6-rendering.

I like that I'm getting more realistic looking renders. As has been stated many times in these forums, lighting is a big part. After watching the rendering tutorial, I found there are renders settings that help a lot too.

hot_tub_water_check.jpg
1920 x 1080 - 731K

Comments

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Change the waters Opacity setting in Surfaces before you render.

• spswaffordspswafford Posts: 179
    edited December 1969

I just tried with opacity set at 0 and 100%. They look the same. I even tried adjusting the reflections, but it does not seem to make a difference.

edited July 2013

Did you SELECT the water plane in Surfaces? 100% is normal 0% should make it disappear fully.

Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited December 1969

Sorry, failed to include that before. Yes, I did. Here is a screen shot.

hot_tub_settings.jpg
    1074 x 623 - 244K
    edited December 1969

Here is screen shot with it set to 0%.

hot_tub_settings_2.jpg
    1069 x 658 - 252K
    edited July 2013

Did you render it after setting it to like 75%? Sometimes the Shaders used do not show a change in the Viewport. Only a render or Spot render will show what the Full render will be like. I never said set it to 0%. I said change the setting. Lower is more see thru.

EDIT: Okay that is ODD! I'm lost too now.

Post edited by Jaderail on
  • TotteTotte Posts: 13,473
    edited December 1969

I've been playing with water on and off, it's really hard to get it looking good, but low Opacity and High reflection and a some refraction id the key components. I can show some settings I use when the current render is finished.

edited December 1969

But my friend, as shown above, it does not change at all on that set.

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited July 2013

Plug the diffuse texture into the specular strength (don't take it out of diffuse, though), and set your index of refraction to 1.33. Post what it looks like after that.

Post edited by Lissa_xyz on
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    But my friend, as shown above, it does not change at all on that set.

I know I fought with this but I got some real good water, but lighting is also important. Still rendering though (Luxus), will take a while before I can test.

• LindseyLindsey Posts: 1,983
    edited July 2013

Try Changing Index of Refraction to .85 or lower and throw some lights on the scene.
    The light set I used here is Lantios Lights - !Light05 preset, Index of Refraction to .85

HotTub.jpg
    759 x 929 - 283K
    Post edited by Lindsey on
    edited December 1969

I could not find the texture you are talking about Vaskania, but using Lindsey suggestion, we have success.

hot_tub_settings_3.jpg
    1077 x 768 - 318K
    edited December 1969

By the way, Lindsey, I have the floor of the deck in the hot tub, how do I correct that?

Thanks all.

edited December 1969

By the way, Lindsey, I have the floor of the deck in the hot tub, how do I correct that?

Thanks all.

You probably accidentally moved the tub down or the floor up, happens to all of us.

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited December 1969

I had this link in my links section (art studio thread, first post) and it's the settings I used to piddle around with. All this is good information, will put this thread also in the links.

http://afina79.deviantart.com/art/Creating-Water-In-Daz-Studio-159064896

edited December 1969

Thanks Novica. I glanced at the link briefly. Will look at it more, later this evening. Looks interesting though.

• LindseyLindsey Posts: 1,983
    edited December 1969

Thanks all.

I'm afraid the HTP_Htub.daz preset does not load the hot tub in the proper vertical position in relation to the deck. Just change the hot tub's ytran parameter to 79. If you load the !Pre_Pergola.daz scene preset, instead of the individual parts, they are all in their proper position.