Gray Eyes in Photoshop with Unlit Texture (Solved)

Space CaseSpace Case Posts: 4

I want to make Genesis 8 eyes show up properly in Photoshop when using Unlit Texture under surface style so I can paint them. They appear gray with hints of the back of the cornea. I've tried messing with material properties in both Photoshop and DAZ, removing eye moisture entirely and hiding/unhiding a bunch of stuff but I have no idea how to fix this. The same result occurs for both obj and dae files. Any help would be very appreciated!

eyes.jpg
161 x 228 - 8K
Post edited by Space Case on

Comments

• Is this rendering in Photoshop, rather than Daz Studio?

• Space CaseSpace Case Posts: 4
    edited June 2018

Yes, this is a screenshot in Photoshop. [edit] Just to clarify, I'm not trying to render anything, just have it display on the Photoshop canvas.

Post edited by Space Case on
  • Here's another screenshot of what I get in Photoshop CS6. The eyes turn gray when the scene is set to unlit. I feel there's an easy solution involving shader settings in DAZ before exporting but I'm willing to do whatever convoluted steps might be required to make it work. I'll never apply lighting to this model which is why working with the end result is important.

example.jpg
    742 x 303 - 65K
  • it's probably just the way that the preview is handling the transparent overlay on the eyes - I guess the preview doesn't preview transparency in that mode. try bringing a hair set, not fibre mesh or the like, in and see what that does.

• Well shoot, you're right. Photoshop interprets black as transparent so I filled the background of the hair and eyelashes - they showed up fine when lit, solid when unlit. I guess this is impossible. I'll have to switch back and forth in something else to preview. Quite a bummer but thanks for the help!

• Just in case a poor soul stumbles upon this thread I figured out how to achieve transparency with diffuse lighting.

Set the Style back to Solid. Delete or hide all Photoshop lights. Then, in Environment, make the Color white with 100% Intensity. There should be no shadows and transparency works. Hooray!