Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 11

Comments

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,559

Brand new computers can be frequently out of date when they are packaged for sale. The good news is that drivers can be updated automatically by windows during updates, but you can also go to your machines manufacturers site and see if there are new ones specific to your hardware..

There are also utilities like driver easy https://www.drivereasy.com/ which can search for drivers to match your os... before installing utilities though I would make sure to setup a restore point so your machine can be recovered.

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,735

Brand new computers can be frequently out of date when they are packaged for sale. The good news is that drivers can be updated automatically by windows during updates, but you can also go to your machines manufacturers site and see if there are new ones specific to your hardware..

There are also utilities like driver easy https://www.drivereasy.com/ which can search for drivers to match your os... before installing utilities though I would make sure to setup a restore point so your machine can be recovered.

How do I set up a restore point? The computer is a gaming computer and came with software to optimize it for games I think. It came with NVIDIA drivers that I have updated but the original ones didn't work with DS either. No other drivers are on it that I know of. Do I need other drivers? 

I tried the whole clean thing, it took away some ACITIVEX files that I hope doesn't screw with the VR. DS has now been instilled and reinstalled and the computer restarted like 20 times...

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,735

You download it, then it takes you to a page where you have to buy it!

• OdaaOdaa Posts: 1,548
    Odaa said:
    Novica said:

I've got a favor to ask everyone. We need to help @wonderland because she has struggled for TWO WEEKS with Daz Studio not opening, and tech support is not working out. So I've asked her to post exactly what is going on and to see if you can help brainstorm a solution. Let's get this poor gal back into her studio! (She even bought a new computer to use for Daz.)  Alicia, if you'll
    1. give specifics as to what you did
    2. what the error is- does anything start up, do you get a popup/error message, etc. 
    3. what tech support said, and what you've already tried so we don't throw ideas your way that haven't worked already.

Thanks in advance for helping her. 

Thanks Novica!

This is what I posted in the Commons that linked to my post in the Tech Forum with attached bug files: 

It's been two weeks now and I still can't open DS on my new Windows 10 computer with a 1080 ti. Tech support has not been helpful and I PMed Richard Hazeltine but not gotten a response. I'm at my wit's end! The bug report and fatal error warning are here: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/254041/still-can-t-open-ds#latest

The monitor is hooked directly into the back to the 1080 ti card as recommended by the manufacturer. I have the latest NVIDIA drivers installed and the VR Oculus works perfectly. Are there other drivers that need to be installed? I've uninstalled and reinstalled DS several times. When I launch DS, it gets to the point of building interface, then crashes with the fatal error warning as seen in post pasted above. (In link posted above) 

I'm sorry, but I'm really getting fed up with tech support! Jamie from sales is responding and I'm not sure she's a tech person as well. I got this computer just for Daz but I can't even use it for that, although it works great for VR. Can anyone who uses Windows 10 please help! Thanks!!!

Tech support-- Jamie from sales now doing tech support-- said to remove some files and uninstall, reinstall. Done. No help. I told her I updated the NVIDIA drivers to the newest drivers, did not help. She responded to roll back the the drivers, which is ridiculous because they were initially on the older drivers which didn't work before I updated them. 

Someone said to uncheck Intel drivers under displays. I don't even see Intel drivers under Displays. I only have NVIDIA drivers and they are under "Display Adapters" not "Displays", there is nothing called just "Displays.". Are there other drivers I need from somewhere??? I appreciate any help! Thanks! 

I'm seeing some reference to Access Violation errors in Windows for other memory intensive programs (games etc) when I google it.  The possible culprits include overly aggressive antivirus programs like Kaspersky, malfunctioning RAM, and some issue where Windows apparently decides it doesn't want to allocate memory to particular programs. This page includes advice on how to "Add a program to the Data Execution Prevention exceptions list" and I think that and possibly disabling antivirus are probably the things I would try next if I were having this issue

I tried that but wasn't sure what file to add...

Add DazStudio.exe if you can find it.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,559

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4027538/windows-create-a-system-restore-point  <---- How to creat a restore point

https://drivereasy.en.softonic.com/download <-should have a free trial. If not, there are other driver utilites you can use.

• cismiccismic Posts: 629
    edited May 2018
    nvidaScreenSelectDAz.jpg
    1168 x 705 - 270K
    Post edited by cismic on
  • cismiccismic Posts: 629

I think that Floyd looks a lot like Walter Matthau. Doc in Ensign Pulver in a way. What do you think?

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,922
    Novica said:

@nonesuch00   Okay, I'll bite. *chomp*  What are moire patterns? 

Yeah, I saw all those shader updates. Someone's been very busy! 

Oh another OT. That tropical system that will (of course) be forming in the Gulf Of Mexico area now has a SIXTY percent chance of forming. This hurricane season is supposed to be active, and so far I'm not liking the pattern. 

It's like a pattern that repeats itself even if there are no seams you still see a pattern. They are impossible to avoid if a tile has any sort of pattern within it at all but they make not be so noticible. Since they are impossible to avoid really it would be nice to now when they start showing up badly. Sometimes as little as 2 tiles but sometimes many more tiles can be used before they show up.

Here is something weird, I morphed the face of G3M to be toonish (trying to do a render of Sam Vimes, Fred Colon, and Carrot Ironfounderson) and then tried to put the G2M knight helmet on G3M head and the helmet completely crumpled like it was aluminum foil! Instead as a replacement I noticed the the G3M/G2M contruction worker helmet vaguely recalls the helmet shape as drawn in various illustrations.

edited May 2018

You download it, then it takes you to a page where you have to buy it!

I read some of your other responses.

You seem to say that you have connected you monitor directly to the nVidia video card port and not the intel HD graphics video port. I attached example picture (found at another site) according to what I believe you said. Green would be your nVidea card.

So if your video card drivers are OK and your monitor is hooked up to the correct port then that leaves something weird in in the way DS is opening scenes maybe?

1) Did you configure DS to open the last scene file you edited when opening DS?

2) Is DS configured to use iRay preview in the viewport by default?

3) Did you configure DS to save in the scene file your previous render settings and video card preferences? If that is the case maybe the default video card that scene wants is the intel HD Graphics card, although honestly DAZ Studio should be about to handle it better than crashing.

Tell us then, are you opening a scene automatically when DS is open or is it opening to a black scene (that's what I do). Have you got the viewport in iRay viewport mode?

The computer BIOS might have an option on computer boot (esc or F2 or F1 or F12 typically to get to the bios before Windows starts booting) to turn off the builtin intel HD Graphics on your computer. If it is off then when you plug your monitor into that video port it shouldn't show any sort of picture.

1) If none of those easy fixes work have you tried booting in Windows Safe Mode and starting DAZ Studio?

The openGL/openCL drivers you ask about, well, the nVidia card has those also so you don't need to especially update the ones builtin to Windows for the intelHD Graphics which on your computer, being so new, wouldn't be needed to be updated for new drivers, even if they weren't the newest available. 

Also this AMD64 that everybody thinks is something to do with AMD ATI  video cards is actually not anything to do with that but  that the 1st 64 bit kernels for the 8086 architecture were build for AMD CPUs and it's still stuck around something like 20 years later. The 1st 64 bit chip I can actually remember using at work though was a 64 bit chip DEC computer designed for their computers if I remember correctly. There were probably earlier 64 bit chips for other CPU architectures besides intel's 8086 as well.

backofcomputer_zpsibipmgyv.png
    562 x 760 - 107K
    Post edited by nonesuch00 on
  • @Wonderland  

I had problems on new computers (and not so new sometimes) because even if I had a number of versions of Visual C++  (they go by year and are 32 bits or 64) I still missed the right one for said software. Happened to me with ZBrush and Marvelous Designer when no problem arised on another computer (I have an old desktop and a new laptop). Daz Studio is supposed to install the right version but it may have failed.

In the control panel--> programs and features you should be able to see which versions you already have installed under Microsoft Visual C++.

Don't worry there is a solution to your problem and you (or we as a community) will find it.

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

Those flash sales are going again, half price on PC+ membership. 

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    Novica said:

Those flash sales are going again, half price on PC+ membership. 

That one was gone by the time I come online. There was coupon for 70% off two or more of the featured items. I took advantage of that one, as it turns out, in the nick of time. It's gone now, without another offer to replace it. Were they any others? I know there were at least 3 offers like that on Tuesday...

• Carola OCarola O Posts: 3,823

No other than those two as far as I am aware, but I might have missed some so can't say for sure :)

There's a third one now, for Genesis 2 and DSON. You only have about 15 minutes if I am guessing the time right? It's 5:15pm Central here. 

edited May 2018

Observation for the RuntimeDNA sale- there are different codes depending on if you buy one, two, or three. 

I picked up Mitsuko (3.39)  Solaine  (2.80)  and Amore Earrings  (1.00)   Then I decided to grab  Heat Wave   (2.00)  for the hat and handbag.  Will scale down the hat, a bit too big IMO. On Pensacola Beach, that would blow away in a heartbeat with the onshore winds! 

Also, check out the Freebies if you haven't lately. There's 13 things, including a Hiro 5 bundle.   

Post edited by Novica on
  • Tramp GraphicsTramp Graphics Posts: 2,404
    Novica said:

Observation for the RuntimeDNA sale- there are different codes depending on if you buy one, two, or three. 

I picked up Mitsuko (3.39)  Solaine  (2.80)  and Amore Earrings  (1.00)   Then I decided to grab  Heat Wave   (2.00)  for the hat and handbag.  Will scale down the hat, a bit too big IMO. On Pensacola Beach, that would blow away in a heartbeat with the onshore winds! 

Also, check out the Freebies if you haven't lately. There's 13 things, including a Hiro 5 bundle.   

Yeah, unfortunately, I have all of them save for three texture sets, which I have no use for sonce they're for clothing items I don't even own. 

Yep, I am only missing two. The Hiro one, and Wicked Sporty Textures. 

• SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,648
    gitika1 said:

I tried installing to the d drive (still on main computer) with same issue...

Wonderland,  one thing you could try is to follow this link (https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner/download) and download the Free version of CCleaner.  After it is installed, open the program, there are 4 "tabs" down the leftside.  The default is cleaner, in the bottom right corner - click and let it run.  Then select the 2nd, registry.  Blue button at the bottom - "Scan for Issues."  It will likely fine issues. Select them all, and then click the button on the bottom right - "Fixed Selected Issues."  It will ask you if you wish to back up your registry.  I never do and have never any resulting problems.  When it is done, do it again.  When I am helping friends with troublesome computers, sometimes scanning registry takes two or three times before the scan will come up clean.  After you have done that, restart the computer and try Daz.   

That's what I would do first.  If it didn't resolve the issue.  I would uninstall Daz3d and related content; then do the directions above, again.  After the cleaning and registry are taken care of, I woiuld do a "fresh" install of Daz3d.

If you happen to be in the Houston area, send me a message - we can try to meet up and figure it out.

Thanks, I'll try but this is a brand new computer.... I don’t see any drivers installed except the NVIDIA one. Are there supposed to be more? Like the open GL thing for d-force? Intel has a bunch of drivers on its page for Windows 10. Should I try to install any? So confused! 

When I first got my laptop and downloaded Daz for the life of me I could not open it I put in a support ticket and the Tech was so helpful to me, she told me I need to download the patches that she sent me to put in my windows 32 file and ever since I put them in it has worked fine for me. Maybe you should ask the Tech about the patches?

• donovancolbertdonovancolbert Posts: 1,421

So, is there really no way to look at clothes JUST for a generation and gender? 

I mean, if I want to look at just G8M clothes, is there a way to sort that? 

• NathNath Posts: 2,713

https://www.daz3d.com/clothing-and-accessories and then set "figure" to G8M.

Untitled-1.jpg
    668 x 679 - 175K
  • Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,314
    Novica said:

Post Your Favorite Freebies Week

So something we haven't done before, and I think it would be nice to give recognition to- which is the artists who so generously donate freebies. Now's your chance to give a shoutout to yourself and to your favorite freebie artists.   What are your favorite freebies? When was the last time you went looking for good ones? It's also "Hunt for Freebies" this week on this thread. (In addition to still posting purchased products.) 

Please list the name of the freebie in the title, with (FREEBIE) so we'll know right away that it is a freebie.

The freebie forum here at Daz takes some wading through, so if you know of some that you can find and link, that would be appreciated too. If it's another site (not commercial, that violates TOS) you can link to it. 

Wilmap comes to mind when I think of freebies, even though I hadn't gotten any in years. I'm so far behind in showcasing what I've bought, I just don't get around to much else. So in the spirit of exploring freebies,  I popped in Wendy's website and decided to render an outfit for you.  Kudos to @wilmap  and the generous donation of time and talent.

Which brings me to donations. If you can donate, please do. With Wendy, I donated $10, which was 13.95 for United Kingdom, and ended up being $14.02. (Don't forget that two cents!)  I can download as many outfits and furniture that I want and it's not required to donate, but I think that's really reasonable for the quality and quantity of items I can download. There's a lot of items available.

The freebie artists don't ask for it/make a big deal out of it, but I just think it would be a nice gesture to compensate them if they have a donate button available. 

I didn't get time to render it out myself but the Gas Station / Convenience Store is one of my favorites. There are great promo images in this post:

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/3610186/#Comment_3610186

Maybe you don't need the gas station but there is a wealth of great useful seperate props in the freebie

edited May 2018

My favorite freebies that I've actually used the most, and am using them again today in fact are the freebies of Mythcons. They're great for my favorite style of toons.

They are male morphs only though. Mythcons I'm guessing cut his teeth from the action fighting game world and not the DAZ 3D world.

All of the next three posts use Mythcons morphs. I haven't got around to transferring them to the G8M & G8F models though. 

http://www.sharecg.com/pf/full_uploads.php?pf_user_name=mythcons

Renders made using Mythcons Freebies
    Bewitched Babe the Blue Ox & Paul Bunyan I Dream of Jeannie

edited May 2018

deleted

edited May 2018

deleted

Nath said:

https://www.daz3d.com/clothing-and-accessories and then set "figure" to G8M.

Duh. I knew that. Brain fart. :) 

Nath said:

Durwood and Samantha are incredible. :) 

• greymouser69greymouser69 Posts: 499

Durwood and Samantha are incredible. :) 

You can grab the scene here - https://www.sharecg.com/v/89049/view/21/DAZ-Studio/Bewitched it comes with a readme listing all of the freebies and daz products needed

@nonesuch00 did you end up trying the LIS stuff I found on sci-fi meshes?  I did end up buying the L1 over at Rendo but haven't done much with it yet.

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,945

<--- my favourite freebie

• gitika1gitika1 Posts: 948
    Novica said:

I didn't get time to render it out myself but the Gas Station / Convenience Store is one of my favorites. There are great promo images in this post:

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/3610186/#Comment_3610186

Maybe you don't need the gas station but there is a wealth of great useful seperate props in the freebie

A great find.  Thanks for the link!

• Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,314
    edited May 2018

@ Novica: It looks like the first tropical storm of the year is headed your way.

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphics_at1.shtml?cone#contents

Take care and stay safe. I sure hope it doesn't really do any damage to you.

Post edited by Charlie Judge on
This discussion has been closed.