2»

Comments

• AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,838
    cdordoni said:
    Ascania said:
    cdordoni said:

Hexagon does not have crease edges, if I recall. In order to get a hard edge, the mesh has to be split (disassociate) along the edge that needs to be hard. 

Shawn's method above is useful if you dont need an extremely sharp edge. It can create a nice "soft" edge beween surfaces.

Incorrect. It is available in the Smoothing Tool

When you export the file, are the edges still sharp? Doesn't the smoothing control subdivision only, not normals?

Of course they are. Try it out yourself

• cdordonicdordoni Posts: 583
    Selina said:
    cdordoni said:
    Selina said:

Why not have a go yourself?

I have, which is why I made the comment...

I'm sorry you were not able to do what I as a beginner can do, perhaps you need to do some more experiments - Happy investigations !!!

Selina

I think we are talking apples and oranges, my mistake.

• cdordonicdordoni Posts: 583
    edited May 2018
    Ascania said:
    cdordoni said:
    Ascania said:
    cdordoni said:

Hexagon does not have crease edges, if I recall. In order to get a hard edge, the mesh has to be split (disassociate) along the edge that needs to be hard. 

Shawn's method above is useful if you dont need an extremely sharp edge. It can create a nice "soft" edge beween surfaces.

Incorrect. It is available in the Smoothing Tool

When you export the file, are the edges still sharp? Doesn't the smoothing control subdivision only, not normals?

Of course they are. Try it out yourself

Again, I'd say apples and oranges, we are not talking about the same thing. My bad.

Post edited by cdordoni on
  • ShawnDriscollShawnDriscoll Posts: 375
    Selina said:

Hi ShawnDriscoll,

I haven't noticed any particular difficulties with importing Hexagon's OBJ objects and I'm running Carrara Pro 8.5 64-bit as you can see from the image below.

I'm only using a smoothing of 2 in Hexagon. If you are using a smoothing of 5 or higher, Carrara won't show the issue all that much when importing from Hexagon. Here is the same object imported into modo. The Phong shading is having issues there as well.
    smooth_break3.jpg
    685 x 265 - 68K
  • Persona Non GrataPersona Non Grata Posts: 1,365
    edited March 2021

Post edited by Persona Non Grata on
    Selina said:

So, as you can see I'm not finding any difficulty with Hexagon to .obj conversions or to Carrara for that matter [at the moment] - smiley

I see now. You're using Loop Subdivision, instead of Catmull-Clark, for your smoothing. I never used that option before. Grew up with Catmull-Clark for SubD my whole life.
  • Persona Non GrataPersona Non Grata Posts: 1,365
    edited March 2021

Post edited by Persona Non Grata on
  • Roman_K2Roman_K2 Posts: 1,198
    edited May 2018
    cdordoni said:

I have only done a bit of modelling; but I find that after saving my "final version" of a Hexagon model to disk and then adding a bit of smoothing in lieu of, say, chamfering, I am still prone to getting lots of seemingly random, really hard-looking edges in the DAZ Studio rendered version - a result which I can't seem to predict or control.

Doesn't seem to make sense since if you smooth a cube (say) that result is predictable. Attached graphic is from Wikipedia.

330px-Catmull-Clark_subdivision_of_a_cube.svg.png
    330 x 477 - 39K
    Post edited by Roman_K2 on

Smoothing works best on models that have quads only. Smoothing ngons and triangles will make messes.

• AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,838
    cdordoni said:

Again, I'd say apples and oranges, we are not talking about the same thing. My bad.

Maybe not. But Hexagon has a tool for it and it works well enough. Could be better and be better-integrated but it does its job.

• Roman_K2Roman_K2 Posts: 1,198

Smoothing works best on models that have quads only. Smoothing ngons and triangles will make messes.

Aha! Thanks. I seem to be getting better at it... this strip (a compressed and stretched cube that I first made in DS 4.8) is a bit better. No triangles. I sent it to Hexagon and drew a Bezier polyline below it and bent it with the "Bend" utility, and then I applied smoothing. Much bigger result than anything I've ever done before though - 55,000 polygons maybe. I have not been successful at bending or otherwise warping anything in the last 3-4 years so I guess this is progress.

It stays pretty smooth when I send it back to DS -- no hard edges in the middle or anything like that -- now if only I could get the surface texture to play ball.

getting-better.jpg
    1036 x 634 - 111K