mcjShrinkWrapA for DS 4.5+ shrink wrap figures and objects - SAFE 2019 Update

Comments

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

Casual said:
    Once I figured out how to read instructions ... works GREAT!

And preliminary tests appear to indicate that this would rank as "legal shrink-wrap"*** as it appears to be doing the same as the "smoothing" did with our clothing mesh. See images posted showing that it is NOT changing the mesh to become that of the target's.

*** I'm not a lawyer, I'll check with DAZ3D for their opinion as that's what counts before redistributing.

edit to add: I have sent in request. Will post back of the answer when it arrives [be patient, it's Friday ;-) ]

edit to add some more: Have shared link in my clothing thread too.
    This is such a wonderful help. Thank you so much.

i think most wrappers must work the same way. I hope they'll clearly officially state what is allowed instead of blanket prohibitions. for example state their goal, which must be to prevent duplication/cloning and distribution of assets ... something. There must be things they tolerate, like the production of original content "fitted" using wrappers. And things they wont tolerate, the duplication of figures

Oh they stated quite plainly last time I asked - was about using the smoothing in D/S to facilitate the clothing process and yes that is allowed.
    Different programs use the word 'shrink wrap' to mean slightly different things. Some are actually changing the mesh to agree with the mesh of the target ... and that would be duplication of the mesh, not permissible for redistribution [generally speaking]. So I'm optimistic about this script ... indeed I've made a skirt with it and it's over in my clothing thread!

I noticed you have an 'A' at the beginning, curious as to what's next?!

• mCasualmCasual Posts: 4,604
    edited December 1969

eventually i'd like to add "convex hulls" which is similar to spandex

that's how i achieved a tight fit for the Aiko3 crop top, without having the fabric glued-on her body ... like basic ( A ) shrink-wrap does

but this was possible because the architecture of the garment was specifically designed for it

the 3 simple wrapper tubes would also make this treatment possible

but random garments would complicate matters

natural.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 94K
    edited December 1969

Casual said:

eventually i'd like to add "convex hulls" which is similar to spandex

that's how i achieved a tight fit for the Aiko3 crop top, without having the fabric glued-on her body ... like basic ( A ) shrink-wrap does

but this was possible because the architecture of the garment was specifically designed for it

the 3 simple wrapper tubes would also make this treatment possible

but random garments would complicate matters

Now that's the way tops should be looking! Hope you're successful - even if it's only for certain types of garments. That's okay too.

• ghastlycomicghastlycomic Posts: 2,528
    edited December 1969

I can't see how using a script to conform a cylinder to the topography of the figure and manually adjusting a cylinder to the topography of the figure is any different. We're not copying the actual geometry of the figure, simply using a tool to do more quickly what we could easily do manually. The end result is the same either way.

Technically by making any clothing for the figure we're copying its to.

edited December 1969

I can't see how using a script to conform a cylinder to the topography of the figure and manually adjusting a cylinder to the topography of the figure is any different. We're not copying the actual geometry of the figure, simply using a tool to do more quickly what we could easily do manually. The end result is the same either way.

Technically by making any clothing for the figure we're copying its to.

Well in this case there shouldn't be. What happens is that the word 'shrink wrap' is also used in some modeling programs to actually copy/clone mesh. Ergo red flags go up and so the topic arises, if not by one person by another, if not now, later on ... so we query it and then can let the matter rest. 'K.

• scotchfairyscotchfairy Posts: 54
    edited December 1969

Casual: do your scripts only run under windows right now? (Except Collider and Come on Down, which I already have)?

• Eustace ScrubbEustace Scrubb Posts: 2,687
    edited December 1969

What happens is that the word 'shrink wrap' is also used in some modeling programs to actually copy/clone mesh. Ergo red flags go up and so the topic arises, if not by one person by another, if not now, later on ... so we query it and then can let the matter rest. 'K.

In other words, a Geometry Shell.

edited July 2013

Casual: do your scripts only run under windows right now? (Except Collider and Come on Down, which I already have)?

yes, i don't have a Mac so i cant cook Mac versions of the plugins

it's one of the reasons i try to write scripts since they work on all machines ( including the little known tribe of Daz Studio 1.8 users )

Post edited by mCasual on
    edited July 2013

upcoming version will have a convex-hullify button, which is like a spandex effect

( Amy is slightly peeved for mysterious reasons )

theplan.jpg
    800 x 500 - 47K
    amyinakihabara.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 178K
    Hama_Rikyu_Gardens.jpg
    864 x 864 - 260K
    beach.jpg
    864 x 864 - 182K
    slightlypeeved.jpg
    768 x 768 - 109K
  • WandWWandW Posts: 2,785
    edited July 2013

I think the reference to forbidding shrink wrapping was in the old EULA; the current iteration ( http://www.daz3d.com/eula ) does not mention it. It does say:

"Notwithstanding the foregoing, DAZ wishes to encourage user expansion of the catalog of Content available to users. Therefore, User may also access, use, copy, and modify the Content stored on such computers in the creation of one or more derived or additional works provided that:

1. any derived or additional works are designed to require or encourage the use of Content available through the online DAZ store either by (i) requiring the use of such Content to function, or (ii) allowing only limited function when not used in conjunction with Content from the online DAZ store; and

2. upon receipt of a written request from DAZ, User will immediately cease any and all distribution of the derived works User has created from the Content licensed from DAZ, if DAZ has determined, at its sole discretion, that (i) the derived work is substantially similar to or is a clone of existing Content; or (ii) the derived work fails to require the use of Content available through the online DAZ store."

Note: this is not intended as legal advice...

Post edited by WandW on
    edited July 2013

nm

Post edited by patience55 on
    edited December 1969

What happens is that the word 'shrink wrap' is also used in some modeling programs to actually copy/clone mesh. Ergo red flags go up and so the topic arises, if not by one person by another, if not now, later on ... so we query it and then can let the matter rest. 'K.

In other words, a Geometry Shell.

Yes I think that would be another word for it.

edited December 1969

Casual said:
    upcoming version will have a convex-hullify button, which is like a spandex effect

More pictures added! Looks like an interesting "plan"!

edited December 1969

Casual said:

More pictures added! Looks like an interesting "plan"!

it's a plan for the sort-of-spandex effect that will be added to the shrink-wrapper script

it works most of the times as seen with this ( not really a figure ) skirt

crossProduct.jpg
    864 x 864 - 146K
    edited December 1969

Kool :-)

edited December 1969

Not ready to show yet but thought you'd like to know that the script is being used to make a neat bodysuit of sorts.

• 3dOutlaw3dOutlaw Posts: 2,470
    edited December 1969

The webpage say: "Warning - if you accidentally selected a gigantic wrapper object, the script may be stuck in processing mode for a very long time. A new version which lets you escape a bad situation like this will be posted very soon !"

Lets say a bodysuit? How long are we talking? Is this days, or hours, or like 20 minutes? I've been running one now for about 10 minutes. I assume it is still "working"?

edited July 2013

3doutlaw said:
    The webpage say: "Warning - if you accidentally selected a gigantic wrapper object, the script may be stuck in processing mode for a very long time. A new version which lets you escape a bad situation like this will be posted very soon !"

Lets say a bodysuit? How long are we talking? Is this days, or hours, or like 20 minutes? I've been running one now for about 10 minutes. I assume it is still "working"?

If you 'touch' the tab and it's still busy it will put up one of those warning messages in brackets 'not responding' ... touch nothing until that goes away. [although I wouldn't wait for days!] If you touch the tab and nothing happens, exit it, and check the Parameter Tab for the new morph.

edit to add: The bodysuit I'm making was made in sections. Did each leg, each arm and the main torso. Then knit together in Hexagon.
    The wrapper can do strange things with skirts around legs. So for skirts, I made a clothing dress dummy to use instead of Genesis for the process.

Post edited by patience55 on
  • 3dOutlaw3dOutlaw Posts: 2,470
    edited December 1969

I waited about 30 minutes, then I had to kill DS. I retried and started small with a tube. Even with that, I found you need to be very careful starting around the legs, as it has a hard time wrapping around 2 legs. Create, stretch, smoothing/collision mod, export, import and rig...works.

edited July 2013

3doutlaw said:
    I waited about 30 minutes, then I had to kill DS. I retried and started small with a tube. Even with that, I found you need to be very careful starting around the legs, as it has a hard time wrapping around 2 legs. Create, stretch, smoothing/collision mod, export, import and rig...works.

so far in my tests, i limited the tube complexity to under 8000 faces ( often only 1K or 2K faces )
    another factor is what the collider is attached to

for each vertex in the shrinkable tube ( ex: 8000 faces )
    the collider scans through the collided object's tens of thousands of faces

one way to speed things up would be to hide the character's head,
    eyeballs, feet and hands/fingers, export this as an obj,
    re-import this obj and use it as the collided object

---
    down the road i'll offer speed improvements - for example, someday the collider
    should use a BVH (Bounding Volume Hierarchy) structure to avoid
    passing in review each facet of the collided object

---
    also, i will probably integrate the shrink-wrapping functions in the mcjCollider itself
    which will probably give a 10X or 100 X speed improvement over a script

---
    i worked on the "spandex" effect which was used to create the A3 Bodycon
    it should be part of the next shrink-wrapping script

---

Test done a minute ago, in DS4.5 64bit --- 64x32=2048 faces tube - shrunk around an Aiko5 leg, 30 seconds

i would expect a 8092-faces tube to take 4x that time, if it was also done around an Aiko5 body part

edited December 1969

*** mcjShrinkWrapper News ***

a progress indicator / terminator was added

same bat name same bat page : https://sites.google.com/site/mcasualsdazscripts3/mcjshrinkwrapa

wrapthis.jpg
    844 x 640 - 83K
    edited July 2013

wrap tip ( or maybe a bad advice i don't know yet )

during the wrap process, the colliders are projected from the surface of the tube toward Aiko5's leg

if many of those colliders miss the target ... example the part of the tube near the ankle

the wrapping will be defective

--

so in Figure 1 you can see i did a pre-shrinking of the shrinkable tube using a D-Form

and in picture 2 we'll see if that was a good idea

---

Figure 2 : it worked !!

in fact i did more than that, after shrinking the D-Formed tube with a gap of 5mm

i used mcjShrinkWrapA to further shrink the morphed tube to a new gap of 1.5mm

Another idea : shrink the shrink wrapper tube onto a primitive-Cone

then further shrink it on the leg

siyes.jpg
    728 x 1200 - 249K
    preWrap.jpg
    390 x 640 - 70K
    edited July 2013

also note i added a 64x32 shrinkable tube to mcjShrinkWrapA's web page

it's oval/rectangular and possibly better suited for dresses and bustiers

tuber.jpg
    485 x 800 - 191K
  • RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    edited December 1969

Thanks so much for the update! :-)

edited December 1969

Wow! More neat improvements, thank you :-)

edited July 2013

** mcjShrinkWrap news **

as was said before, the next version will have a sort of spandex effect

one of the first task of the script (or plugin) is to figure out

if the piece of cloth is a tube or a sheet / scarf / veil / table-cloth

and to sort the vertices as rows and columns or as rings

then the script will tighten the fabric threads as if they were made of rubber

this will create bridges over the valleys ( cleavage ) and belts around pulleys ( legs )

marionette.gif
    480 x 270 - 582K
  • RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    edited December 1969

WOW... this is really getting better and better! COOL BEANS! :-)

edited July 2013

RAMWolff said:
    WOW... this is really getting better and better! COOL BEANS! :-)

the part of the program that analyses the tube or sheet of cloth is written

so you'll be able to use your own sheet or tubes, not just standardized ones issued by me

ringaround.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 392K
    yo.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 508K
    tobeatubeornottobeatube.jpg
    1088 x 610 - 164K
    sheethappens.jpg
    1092 x 626 - 130K
    edited December 1969

Sheet of 5 rows?

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited July 2013

Sheet of 5 rows?

Looks like it's counting the edges/separating lines as opposed to the squares themselves.

Or maybe 4 is the new 5?

Post edited by Lissa_xyz on