Do You Have the Time - Carrara Challenge #39 WiPs Thread

StezzaStezza Posts: 7,795
edited April 2018 in Carrara Discussion

CHALLENGE - Do You Have the Time #39

Hi, I'm Stezza the 'Supweme Time Traveller' for this Challenge #39
I have the final say on any and all disputes which will be zero during this challenge.

I, in my capacity of 'Supweme Time Traveller' will decide on any tied votes on categories. mwahahaha.

Thanks to Daz3d for their continued support of prizes for the Carrara Challenge and also to this Challenge's PA Sponsor @TangoAlpha for his support of the Challenge.

Need inspiration? 
The PreLude Post is where you need to travel to - https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/239441/prelude-do-you-have-the-time-upcoming-carrara-challenge-39

What is time? While most people think of time as a constant, physicist Albert Einstein showed that time is an illusion; it is relative — it can vary for different observers depending on your speed through space. To Einstein, time is the "fourth dimension." Space is described as a three-dimensional arena, which provides a traveler with coordinates — such as length, width and height —showing location. Time provides another coordinate — direction — although conventionally, it only moves forward.

Time machines
It is generally understood that traveling forward or back in time would require a device — a time machine — to take you there. Time machine research often involves bending space-time so far that time lines turn back on themselves to form a loop, technically known as a "closed time-like curve."

Your images/animation should project the idea of Time Travel... I guess you could get more votes if you do that..

An animation of a ticking time piece going backwards would be great..
You can be anywhere in Time - Past - Present - Future ... Let your imagination go wild.
As always modeling and all other facets/tools of Carrara are encouraged to be used and shown in your WiPs

Yes!... you need Work in Progress posts to show, explain and encourage others.. Even if you don't want to enter you can show us your Time Travel images for ideas for others.

Challenge Categories - Three Categories - you can only win one category.

i. Best Participation: the one with the most votes on all entries
ii. Most Popular: the single image/animation with the most votes
iii. Best Homage: best homage ( Dr Who, BTTF ect ) image/animation

Forum Mods fav Time Piece:  as voted by our forum Time Keepers - umm moderators ( be nice )

The Challenge

If you could, where in time would it be and render it

Come with us on a zany render ride as we showcase our best Time Travelling images. Let your imagination go dimensional as long as they are within the DAZ ToS of course.

What can you do with your images?
Surprise us with your renders of Time Travel.... homages are popular.. postwork to your hearts content.

Simple Requirements:

You should have an image/animation( that can be recognised as Time Travel ) in your final entered image!

Final Render must be done in Carrara ( *excludes animations ) – because it’s a Carrara Challenge!
* animations can be rendered in another software package but the main components must be done in Carrara prior.

Works in progress to show how you got your Time Period up and going, listing what programs you used and 'how to do' steps so others can learn.

Enter as many times as you want.. but be warned too many entries can take votes away from your very bestest ones.. 

PRIZES - what! there are prizes? ( I thought I said that before.. Déjà vu !! )

Yes
Categories
i. Best Participation: $70.00 DO store credit
ii. Most Popular:  $50.00 DO store credit
iii. Best Homage:  $50.00 DO store credit

Forum Mods fav Time Piece:  $25.00 DO store credit

TangoAlpha's PICK of most fav Time Travel image: One choice from his product library

Dates to Remember - being a Time Travel Themed Challenge it shouldn't be hard!

All dates are 'Supweme Time Traveller' Time ( AEST ) https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/australia/sydney
all you northerners don't get caught! but I can be swayed.

WIP Thread Opens: if you can see this text it's open!

Entry Thread is Open and Closes - TUESDAY 24th April, 2018
Voting Begins: TUESDAY 24th April, 2018

Voting Ends: midnight Tuesday May 1st, 2018

Winners announced when counting and votes are finalised

I bet no one read all the way through this 

Post edited by Stezza on

Comments

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,795
    edited April 2018

Art Studio Board
    Topic is here

If you wish you can update the thread with your images as you go along yes

ENTRY THREAD NOW OPEN

Post edited by Stezza on

**** Reserved for Past Posts! ****

• chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202
    Stezza said:

You are wrong I did read all of it as I always do to make sure there are no little suprises.

yes laugh

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    Stezza said:

You are wrong I did read all of it as I always do to make sure there are no little suprises.

+1.  When does the entry thread open?

you picked it up... lol

answer: in Time yes

Stezza said:

+1.  When does the entry thread open?

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,800

congratulations Headwax, ooops I might alter the space time continuum by revealing that blush

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073
    edited March 2018

Next week, I will read the instructions two weeks ago.

I need a better way to do WIPs for animations. 

Our Carrara native content browser comes with a grandfather clock.  Here, I am unexploding a clock.  I loaded the grandfather clock and a applied a modifier.  At frame 1, I set the explode modifier to 100.  At the two second mark, I set the explode modifier to 0.  I also set a couple of lights to flash at the beginning of the explosion, but I don't think they are noticeable.

Play avi at

https://youtu.be/S7USUUaPUeQ

hh01 explode modifier at 100.JPG
    1841 x 1030 - 209K
    hh02 explode modifier at 0.JPG
    1906 x 1029 - 215K
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,922
    th3Digit said:

congratulations Headwax, ooops I might alter the space time continuum by revealing that blush

you mean I got that pay out :) ?

Diomede said:

Next week, I will read the instructions two weeks ago.

don't worry, you already know they would have changed by then

head wax said:
    th3Digit said:

you mean I got that pay out :) ?

34, 21, 12, 15, 5, 7, supplementary numbers 28, 31

I forgot what day it was though blush

edited March 2018

thanks for the numbers Wendy

I was rich in the future but I got sick of it so I came back to remind me what poor was like

here 's a gumpgh googlah whip it up image of bumf with the real winning numbers :)

time.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 3M
    Post edited by Headwax on
    edited March 2018

@Headwax, The dude in the eight wants his numbers back!  Off to a strong start.

I have been playing more with the modifier tab.  Can do a lot without modeling.  Plus, they can be combined.  No video this time.  Instead, I just took some screenshots at different settings.

Here is a spaceship with the BLACK HOLE modifier applied.  The screenshots are at settings for 0, 20, 40, 60, and 80.  Pretty cool.  I tried using this modifier on my Brash figure but when the black hole setting got high, Carrara crashed.  It worked fine on the spaceship though.  

uu01 load spaceship.JPG
    1583 x 1016 - 174K
    uu02 spaceship blackhole modifier at 20.JPG
    1612 x 912 - 163K
    uu04 spaceship black hole at 40.JPG
    1502 x 956 - 151K
    uu05 spaceship black hole at 60.JPG
    1555 x 884 - 148K
    uu06 black hole at 80.JPG
    1554 x 879 - 141K

modiffiers rock

• MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited March 2018

Not sure if I'll have time for this one since I'll be traveling for work a lot during the next couple weeks but I thought I'd throw my initial idea out to see how it looks.

I took the West Park and East Park sets, which are the same scene with grimy and new textures respectively, did a little editing to the West Park one (removed one of the doors in the vertex modeller and slightly unhinged the other one, plus I dropped one of the lights to the floor) and then did quick renders of them with the same basic lighting setup. The East Park one I added a little extra light and then brightened it up some more in photoshop. With a little quick post-work you can see my basic concept.

If I have more time to work on it then I'll put a person standing at the intersection point as if they can walk in either direction: to the left into the present when the building is abandoned and falling apart, or to the right into the past when it was shiny and new. I'd really like to spend some more time on the materials too.

Also, something has gone weird with the nearby walls - the normals seem to have reversed themselves somehow.

WestToEast_Test.jpg
    1056 x 981 - 213K
    Post edited by MarkIsSleepy on
  • PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139

MDO - I'm liking the concept!

PhilW said:

me too 

th3Digit said:

modiffiers rock

i felt wonderful;ly ill watching that one with the wioman - im going on a diet

Diomede said:

@Headwax, The dude in the eight wants his numbers back!  Off to a strong start.

I have been playing more with the modifier tab.  Can do a lot without modeling.  Plus, they can be combined.  No video this time.  Instead, I just took some screenshots at different settings.

Here is a spaceship with the BLACK HOLE modifier applied.  The screenshots are at settings for 0, 20, 40, 60, and 80.  Pretty cool.  I tried using this modifier on my Brash figure but when the black hole setting got high, Carrara crashed.  It worked fine on the spaceship though.

thanks, and modifiers are so good in Carrara ! the spike one used subtly is also a beaut :)

edited March 2018

There is a story that the nose of the Sphinx was broken off by a cannonball fired by Napoleon's soldiers. Other variants indict British troops, the Mamluks, and others. Sketches of the Sphinx by the Dane Frederic Louis Norden, made in 1738 and published in 1757, show the Sphinx missing its nose.

But we know what really happened devil

Sphinx.jpg
    800 x 600 - 457K
    Post edited by Stezza on
    PhilW said:

yep... +1 on that yes

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,660
    Stezza said:

There is a story that the nose of the Sphinx was broken off by a cannonball fired by Napoleon's soldiers. Other variants indict British troops, the Mamluks, and others. Sketches of the Sphinx by the Dane Frederic Louis Norden, made in 1738 and published in 1757, show the Sphinx missing its nose.

But we know what really happened devil

Nice use of the Sacred Bin Chicken.

edited March 2018

Here is homage to a classic Star Trek scene that appeared in the original TV show, the comic book, and I think was revisited in later TV show spinoffs.

Everyone is welcome to download the set in the other related thread.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/3440721/#Comment_3440721

star trek.png
    259 x 194 - 89K
    star trek comic.png
    307 x 164 - 123K
    Time Portal Set with Brash and Moxie g toon.png
    800 x 600 - 675K
    Time Portal Set with Brash and Moxie h.png
    800 x 600 - 488K

now I gotta track down the episode on Netflix and watch it..... again 

edited March 2018

Thoth is the Egyptian god of writing, magic, wisdom, and the moon. He was one of the most important gods of ancient Egypt alternately said to be self-created or born of the seed of Horus from the forehead of Set. 

and it all would never of happened if he had stuck with his original idea of a Pelican Head!

Ibis Thoth.jpg
    800 x 566 - 468K
    Post edited by Stezza on
    edited March 2018

Oh, I wish they had stuck with the pelican heads. Excellent panel.

RE: episode - from Wikipedia

"The City on the Edge of Forever" is the 28th episode of the American science fiction television series Star Trek, and the penultimate episode of the first season. It was first broadcast in the United States on NBC on April 6, 1967

Stezza said:

Thoth is the Egyptian god of writing, magic, wisdom, and the moon. He was one of the most important gods of ancient Egypt alternately said to be self-created or born of the seed of Horus from the forehead of Set. 

and it all would never of happened if he had stuck with his original idea of a Pelican Head!

ha ha not only talented artists but a very amusing one as well

Diomede said:

Here is homage to a classic Star Trek scene that appeared in the original TV show, the comic book, and I think was revisited in later TV show spinoffs.

Everyone is welcome to download the set in the other related thread.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/3440721/#Comment_3440721

nice homage Ted !

Diomede said:

Oh, I wish they had stuck with the pelican heads. Excellent panel.

RE: episode - from Wikipedia

"The City on the Edge of Forever" is the 28th episode of the American science fiction television series Star Trek, and the penultimate episode of the first season. It was first broadcast in the United States on NBC on April 6, 1967

yep, tracked it down last night & watched S1 E28,29 this morning ... it all came flooding back... got a couple of screen grabs of E29 yes

thanks headwax.... we try lol

IMG_0617.JPG
    1024 x 576 - 119K
    IMG_0618.JPG
    1024 x 576 - 120K
  • de3ande3an Posts: 915

Seeing Stezza's screen grabs, I couldn't resist trying to reproduce "The Guardian". (Besides, it's been raining all day. Nothing else to do.)

Stole the texture map right out of the screen grab. cheeky

The only light in the scene is from the glow channel of the object's shader.

(Hope I'm not cluttering up the thread with this.)

edited March 2018

@de3an - Looks great!  You have to enter this month.  Could even consider an animation.

I threw together another time piece.  Brainstorming some ideas to make the grains of sand flow upwards - particles? negative gravity? ????

sand time piece test render.jpg
    800 x 600 - 34K