Wacky Modelling ~ In Carrara ~

Comments

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,687
    edited March 2018

Seat & Drivers Control modelled to a M4 drivers figure, next up wheels.

Silo Tyre Fryer 3.png
    1234 x 860 - 112K
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on
    edited March 2018

Wheels added. Next up it gets interesting, the Boolean cut is not working for some reason so will need to manually add the wheel arches which means lots more body-work.

EDIT: Think I have solved the Boolean issue, still some work involved.

Silo Tyre Fryer 4.png
    1337 x 899 - 151K
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,799

great start @bunyip02

how do you find Silo?
    I have it but find it a lot harder to use than Carrara's modeling room, I guess it comes down to what you get used to.

I'm struggling a bit with the next model I'm doing, that moment when you get to the end and you think 'ok, looks good' except for the missing wheel arches .. lol

I'll start on it again today from scratch after stuffing it up lol

Looks like we both suffer from the missing wheel arch syndrome cool

Crimson Fail.jpg
    608 x 406 - 97K
    edited March 2018
    Stezza said:

great start @bunyip02

how do you find Silo?
    I have it but find it a lot harder to use than Carrara's modeling room, I guess it comes down to what you get used to.

I'm struggling a bit with the next model I'm doing, that moment when you get to the end and you think 'ok, looks good' except for the missing wheel arches .. lol

I'll start on it again today from scratch after stuffing it up lol

Looks like we both suffer from the missing wheel arch syndrome cool

Hello Stezza, I have picked up using Silo better than the other packages I have tried, Gmax - Wings 3D - Lightray 3D - 3DCanvass/Crafter - Milkshape 3D - Blender - Hexagon - Carrara. I guess it depends on which software clicks for you.

This time around I am doing 3 projects, first is in Silo, second is in Hexagon, third is in Carrara. Hopefully will be able to complete each project in the respective modeller.

Wheel arches - still learning the in's and out's of using Boolean, had success for the front arches last night but the rear arches had missing polygons and points/edges. Also created a heap of Ngons !!!!!!

Guess I'll get better with experience.

Other projects lined up:-

174a312dffadf1c7b32da6ecb0ee83c0.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 221K
    7514_Mini_Ha_Ha_R.jpg
    378 x 256 - 60K
    edited March 2018

Got the wheel arches sorted, was a simple case of adjusting the location of the intersecting cylinders to the car body for the Boolean operation.

Next up some body work on the rear of the car, followed by the V12 engine.

Silo Tyre Fryer 5.png
    1769 x 936 - 203K
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073
    edited March 2018

Looking good, Bunyip02.  Is that Silo?  I've heard positive reviews but have never tried it.

EDIT:  Never mind the question.  Went back through the thread and saw that you said it was Silo.

Post edited by Diomede on
    edited December 2020

cool stuff..... managed to do the Crimson Haybailer

The Crimson Haybailer : driven by Red Max - an air ace in a car/plane hybrid that was capable of limited flight, usually just enough to leapfrog over racers and/or obstacles in its path. The Crimson Haybailer also had a machine gun mounted, which was sporadically used.

Post edited by Stezza on
    edited December 2020

knocked this one up last night during My Kitchen Rules!

Post edited by Stezza on
    Diomede said:

Looking good, Bunyip02.  Is that Silo?  I've heard positive reviews but have never tried it.

EDIT:  Never mind the question.  Went back through the thread and saw that you said it was Silo.

Thanks Diomede, yes I am using Silo Version 2.5 which is an upgraded version with 64 bit Winows support.

I have found it to be the easiset 3D application that I have used, but that varies from person to person, others prefer other packages.

Stezza said:

cool stuff..... managed to do the Crimson Haybailer

The Crimson Haybailer : driven by Red Max - an air ace in a car/plane hybrid that was capable of limited flight, usually just enough to leapfrog over racers and/or obstacles in its path. The Crimson Haybailer also had a machine gun mounted, which was sporadically used.

Looking great !!!!

Stezza said:

knocked this one up last night during My Kitchen Rules!

Yabba-dabba-dooo !!!!

lol

sidetracked again!

Nice Dino, does he wee on the wheels like all dogs do ?

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

zoom zoom witchiepoo

Not exactly the Time Warp, but still a pretty good dance.  Zap the world!

Mistara said:

zoom zoom witchiepoo

Love the twin rockets !!!!

edited March 2018

Is the engine block big enough ?

Silo Tyre Fryer 6.png
    1299 x 912 - 173K
    edited March 2018

Thats the basics done, now to add some details.

Silo Tyre Fryer 7.png
    1290 x 831 - 194K
    edited March 2018

coming along nicely smiley

updated the Crimson Haybailer

Crimson Haybailer.jpg
    600 x 450 - 134K
    Post edited by Stezza on
  • UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588

You guys are so skilled.

Do you you mind if I ask a basic question?  Not sure if this is the place.

How do I edit or add to current models using primitives on the vertex model room?  My problem is this - I can load a shirt, for example, in the vertex room.  But if I want to put buttons on that shirt by using primitives, I am out of luck, because the primitives controls are greyed out and are not active.  What an I not understanding?

Thanks!

edited March 2018

You guys are so skilled.

Do you you mind if I ask a basic question?  Not sure if this is the place.

How do I edit or add to current models using primitives on the vertex model room?  My problem is this - I can load a shirt, for example, in the vertex room.  But if I want to put buttons on that shirt by using primitives, I am out of luck, because the primitives controls are greyed out and are not active.  What an I not understanding?

Thanks!

When clothing is edited it generally has Protect Topology applied, you need to go into View - Protect Topology and turn the protection off. After that you should be able to use the icons on the menu.

Clothing 1.png
    1923 x 1042 - 703K
    Clothing 2.png
    1921 x 1042 - 768K

Thanks Bunyip.  I should have mentioned that topology in this case is not checked.  The problem is this - when you load some items in the model room, a box appears telling you that topology is protected, and that you need to turn it off if you want to edit.  However, on other items, no warning box appears, and when you look at topology it is not checked, but edit tools are still greyed out.

Very frustrating!  I've hesitated asking this question for months, as I figured that I was simply doing something wrong, and would figure it out eventually.  Besides, there were always workarounds.

Getting tired of workarounds. :)

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,810

the only other way sometimes is to detach skeleton

edit it

attach skeleton

edited March 2018

Sorry, UB.  Missed your question somehow.  What exactly are you trying to do when you say you are adding more mesh to a shirt?  It makes a difference if it is a rigged model.

- are you trying to add more mesh to a figure that has already been rigged?  For example, V4 has basicwear which is rigged and saved in the Runtime \ Figure content browser.  It would be problematic adding new geomtery within the existing mesh, but you could insert a new object in the scene and parent it to the basicwear figure.

- are you trying to add more mesh to an obj that you acquired as a freebie or converted from a figure?  In this case, you should be able to enter the modeling room and add more polygons

Oh, and don't hesitate to ask.  .

Post edited by Diomede on

What Wendy said (as usual) - but you will lose the weightmapping information if you detach the skeleton from the mesh. 

We were typing at the same time.

Would you loose the morphs as well ?

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,810

your best bet is to model seperate vertex mesh in the assemblyroom view then use attach skeleton to conform it to the outfit

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    Bunyip02 said:
    Mistara said:

zoom zoom witchiepoo

Love the twin rockets !!!!

witchiepoo booom broom!

or mebbe jimmy's boat for a model smiley

@Diomede  witcjiepoo got the moves !!   there was another dance umber she's dancin to freddy the flute music

sigh nostalgia is a real thing.

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139

Great thread and great modelling!

edited March 2018
    Diomede said:

Sorry, UB.  Missed your question somehow.  What exactly are you trying to do when you say you are adding more mesh to a shirt?  It makes a difference if it is a rigged model.

How do I know if a model is rigged?  Is most clothing sold in the Daz store rigged?

If rigging stops one from editing or adding in the model room, how do I "unrig" a model?  The animate tab for removing a sleleton is greyed out as well.

Diomede said:

Oh, and don't hesitate to ask.  .

There are still gaping holes in my understanding of Carrara, and 3D in general.  I desire to be sensitive to context.  Not wanting to hijack this particular thread with my issues. :)

Post edited by UnifiedBrain on
This discussion has been closed.