Shadow Black Render in IRAY - NOT Solved

JasmineSkunkJasmineSkunk Posts: 1,872
edited December 2017 in The Commons

This is a spot render in IRAY of Genesis 1 and "Otherworldly Wonders: Tamesis" with no lights or environments in the scene. What is going on here? Anyone have any idea? 

Untitled-1.jpg
800 x 449 - 77K
Post edited by JasmineSkunk on

Comments

• OdaaOdaa Posts: 1,548

Hmmm...My first guess is that nothing that old is (natively) Iray compatible, and my second guess is that you camera has the headlamp turned off. Could be way off though

• grinch2901grinch2901 Posts: 1,246

Without lights it should be all black. The items which are not may have the emission surface setting set to something other than black so they are glowing after a fashion.

• OK... Been poking around and this is what I discovered. The surfaces tab had several things that were question marks. Clicking them and "accepting" the color that would show up seemed to fix it. But I have no idea what was actually going on.

Untitled-2.jpg
    800 x 450 - 87K
  • JasmineSkunkJasmineSkunk Posts: 1,872
    edited December 2017

Throwing on that Uber shader base thing and adding a distant light afterward

Untitled-3.jpg
    800 x 450 - 88K
    Post edited by JasmineSkunk on
  • OK... Been poking around and this is what I discovered. The surfaces tab had several things that were question marks. Clicking them and "accepting" the color that would show up seemed to fix it. But I have no idea what was actually going on.

This happens when you have multiple surfaces selected and they don't have the same settings.

• I was poking around a bit more and it seems the actual culprit was the Subsurface Color parameter in the Surfaces tab. I'm just putting this all here in case anyone else has this problem in the future.

Untitled-4.jpg
    800 x 450 - 87K
  • Hanabi said:

OK... Been poking around and this is what I discovered. The surfaces tab had several things that were question marks. Clicking them and "accepting" the color that would show up seemed to fix it. But I have no idea what was actually going on.

This happens when you have multiple surfaces selected and they don't have the same settings.

Thanks for the feedback, Hanabi. I'm trying to figure out all the new stuff! smiley

• Without lights it should be all black. The items which are not may have the emission surface setting set to something other than black so they are glowing after a fashion.

No lights except the headlight on the camera. I should have specified more clearly. wink But thank you!

• OK!! 

I guess I have no idea what I did before to get this to work because I tried it again and it did not.

Weird thing though... The Poser Mats work fine. It's the DS ones that render all black and shadowy... AND I CAN NOT FIGURE OUT WHY!!!

I know... If the Poser ones work, why don't I just use those, right?

But... but... I want to understand what's breaking it in there and I've checked all that I know (which isn't much) but now it's kinda driving me nuts.

Why is it all BLACK?!

• Hey grinch? You still reading this? What are emission settings?

• Hey grinch? You still reading this? What are emission settings?

Look in the surfaces tab - are they 3DL mats or iRay?   With iray, there's a setting called 'Emission' - if it's anything other than black, there'll also be 'lumens' (brightness) and 'temperature' (red-shift/blue-shift) options.

If they're 3DL surfaces, they get converted to iray at render time and sometimes the 'ambient' channel gets plugged into 'emission'

• Thanks Silent Winter. Good to know. I think they are 3DL Mats... And I've been messingwith them all night!!!

The problem does seem to be in the Subsurface settings. If I turn it down the black shadow goes away...

But then I was having this other problem with the eyebrows glowing crazy... Figured out that was because there was a map on the Translucency Strength Setting.

I think I'm slowly figuring it out, though. Oh- So-Slowly.

Once I get it, I'll pop back in and share what I discover. 

Thanks EVERYONE for all your help. YOU guys are awesome! smiley

Here's what she was looking like with glowing brows before I got it fixed. 

Untitled-5.jpg
    800 x 450 - 71K
  • I am figuring it out!!! Woo Hoo! I really can't beleive how beautiful these textures are even being a bit older. Can't wait to really get into tweaking and messing with IRAY. 

OK... so...

How do I turn my 3D Light settings into IRAY settings? Because I don't seem to have those parameters. There are IRAY shader presets I found, but choosing the Uber base seems to "erase" some stuff I don't want to loose. Is there a way to make this "IRAY friendly" or whatever without undoing the settings I like?

Anyway...

Here's progress so far:

Untitled-6.jpg
    800 x 450 - 72K
  • BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 6,987

You'll have to take note which surfaces are used, and then plug them in manually after you transfer to Iray. Some stuff will need a bit fiddlng, but you'll get a much better and realistic result afterwards. I can recomment this line of products, to make the start easier: https://www.daz3d.com/iray-converter-for-genesis

There are also converters for the other generations by the same PA, with increasing functionality.

Anyway, the easiest way, once you understand the function of each slider and map, is to load the same figure twice into your scene, convert one to Iray, and then see which settings you have to change. I'm currently in the middle of rendering, but I think I have that character.

• Thanks BeeMKay! Did you get her to work for you in IRAY? I mostly got it figured out, but I just woke up. LOL. Thanks for your help.