Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 10

Comments

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,155

I think the turkey looks great as is. I've never seen bacon on a turkey. Do I live a sheltered life?

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479

Serene, I stumbled on a little trick yesterday that might be helpful with the lettuce, if you're going to paint weight on it. Holding the Alt key down while painting lessens the weight, but can get to xero weight pretty quick. No problem. Once you're done painting, right-click in the viewport, select Weight Editing->Smooth Selected… There will be a popup that lets you adjust the effect. You'll probably need to experiment to find the best settings for your lettuce, but this will smooth the weight back onto the areas your painting removed.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    barbult said:

I think the turkey looks great as is. I've never seen bacon on a turkey. Do I live a sheltered life?

You must do   Bacon on a Turkey is a must have.    Some people really go to town and weave a pattern with the streaky bacon strips. 

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560
    edited November 2017

The challenge of dforcing food is quite an interesting one. I can tell this is going to be a fun project. But I don't want to drerail Novica's discussion... So I may just move this to my thread.  Here is some bacon on top. I had to dform it. But I enlarged the potatoes and removed some fruit. Thanks for the ideas! I will now attempt to improve the lettuce.

baconfin.png
    800 x 571 - 501K
    Post edited by Serene Night on
  • @Novica, I hope your kitty comes home. I'm sorry that she is missing sad

Trish

• LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770

Laverne for Monique 8 is such a knockout. I think she's my favorite of the Monique characters. And that Pascale Hair! Wow! I love AprilYSH's hairs, but this one has got to be my new favorite.

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    edited November 2017

@Novica, I know how you feel. We had a cat that started staying away for days a time, then one day he stopped coming home. He was really old, a stray we'd taken in two years before and gotten very attached to. Two months after he disappeared, he strolled into the house, looking for his canned goodies. Turns out a neighbor down the street decided he wanted the cat, and just kept him in the house. (Whole 'nother story there!) But we felt so bad about losing Sweet Pea when he disappeared. We were sure he'd wandered off and died alone somewhere.

I so hope Eevie gets over her wanderlust and comes home tonight, before it gets cold. Hugs, and more hugs.

Post edited by L'Adair on
  • frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,383

I've also never seen bacon on a turkey.

• firewardenfirewarden Posts: 1,454
    Novica said:

Thanks. We'll see but I'm not too hopeful if it's been five days. And I don't know if the black kitty spotted by that neighbor was even her. 

@RGcincy  Anyway, love the lettuce with the curled appearance. At least it didn't explode with the Dforce LOL. Good luck with the bacon @SereneNight!

Really, don't give up! I've had a friend whose cat got out the door and it was a few weeks, but found its way back. It had found a temporary home with a neighbor, as I recall. Praying for your kitty to wander home soon!

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

I hope she comes home safe and sound.  Did you check your boxes that you were sorting? My cat has a tendency to sneak into any boxes that I might be going through.

@Llynara, I totally agree, the Pascale hair is a definitely a gorgeous piece of work and incredibly easy to work with.  She outdid herself on that one.

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

Thanks all. Not giving up, but going to distribute my time appropriately, if that makes sense. I could spend four or five hours a day searching, but as my son just said,"She would have come if she heard you." I went a mile and a half deep in the woods then came back the same way so she would follow my voice back OUT of the woods. At dark, I am going to go back down there but NOT go in the woods. So a couple attempts a day and driving really slowly out of the neighhborhood, looking up by people's houses as I drive. 

And BTW, Shadow is already on the porch at 4pm for his food, I put it on the heating pad bed which I had already started warming up. So if he doesn't use it, I don't feel bad, he KNOWS it's there. Glad I turned it on early. Remembered to cover the pool pump too, and Stetson will have his quilted blanket on, all snug in his stall. They also close all the windows and both barn doors at each end. Tis the seaon to be cold! How cold is it where everyone else is at?

@SereneNight - that is looking really good! You don't have to worry about derailing the thread, but since you're doing a lot of work on it, you should show the progress on yours. (And have Owen get a few bites, I'm sure that's where it's headed!) 

I haven't heard about bacon on turkey either, so I am also a deprived person. (Started to put depraved. That too.) 

• RainRain Posts: 335
    Llynara said:

Laverne for Monique 8 is such a knockout. I think she's my favorite of the Monique characters. And that Pascale Hair! Wow! I love AprilYSH's hairs, but this one has got to be my new favorite.

This is gorgeous!

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

I've got my fingers crossed for you Novica. Keep us updated. 

Not cold here at all, cos we're heading into summer. laugh Although that also means cyclone season for us up North - has been warm the last couple of days, but today is overcast and still, and nice and cool. So we'll either get a storm this afternoon, or the storm will pass and it will go back to being hot. 

I've never seen bacon on a turkey either! But then, we don't do Thanksgiving obviously here in Australia, and turkey is usually reserved for christmas. Although, most people I know do a big seafood and salad christmas lunch, as Christmas day is generally stinkin' hot and a hot roast is not the done thing. LOL. I've also never seen apples and pear halves served with a turkey. My mother LOVES entertaining, and Christmas Eve is the big one for us. Christmas Eve dinner is huge - sometimes mum will do a turkey and everything for that, with Christmas Day lunch being leftovers and the seafood spread. (One of my brothers is a crayfish diver so if he comes home for Christmas, there's crayfish and he'll have fish also, along with any fish my husband has caught). We do the present thing Christmas Eve after dinner, while we are all sweltering on the patio LOL and Christmas Day is spent being incredibly lazy and/or swimming in the lake or pool, or going out on the lake in the party boat. It won't be a big christmas celebration this year unfortunately - my son is working in Brisbane, and he's got time off for January when we're celebrating my mother's 70th birthday, and another brother is working over Christmas (he works in teh mines) so his partner and two little kids will be at her family's place; i think my little sister is off galivanting around Europe at the moment too. So it'll be me, my husband, and just two brothers with the parents this year. Although one of the brothers - the crayfish diver - has a new girlfriend adn he's bringing her - she's French-Canadian and according to my mother, utterly adorable. LOL. We'll go out late Christmas Eve afternoon, stay the night then come home early Christmas morning - the dogs will be inside our house so we'll need to get back to them. 

How do other people celebrate Christmas?  

Novica said:

Thanks all. Not giving up, but going to distribute my time appropriately, if that makes sense. I could spend four or five hours a day searching, but as my son just said,"She would have come if she heard you." I went a mile and a half deep in the woods then came back the same way so she would follow my voice back OUT of the woods. At dark, I am going to go back down there but NOT go in the woods. So a couple attempts a day and driving really slowly out of the neighhborhood, looking up by people's houses as I drive. 

And BTW, Shadow is already on the porch at 4pm for his food, I put it on the heating pad bed which I had already started warming up. So if he doesn't use it, I don't feel bad, he KNOWS it's there. Glad I turned it on early. Remembered to cover the pool pump too, and Stetson will have his quilted blanket on, all snug in his stall. They also close all the windows and both barn doors at each end. Tis the seaon to be cold! How cold is it where everyone else is at?

@SereneNight - that is looking really good! You don't have to worry about derailing the thread, but since you're doing a lot of work on it, you should show the progress on yours. (And have Owen get a few bites, I'm sure that's where it's headed!) 

I haven't heard about bacon on turkey either, so I am also a deprived person. (Started to put depraved. That too.) 

Yes, have gone through the two open boxes, but she climbed in and out (sigh, started to say "climbs") with ease. 

For Christmas, since Mom is elderly and lives in my town, my sister comes from Jacksonvile, FL, with my nieces and their sons. I'm a Great-Aunt. (Of course.)  This year, not sure if they will be back for Christmas as mom's 90th party is December 9th. Last year I decorated the fireplace using dog toys. Yep. The fluffy snowball toys- great for decorations, made of the fake lambswool.  My neighbor and I always hit Petsmart to stock up on kitty litter (for me) and dog toys on Black Friday, then I decorate each year with them. Kinda funny. There's penguins, snowmen, snowballs, you name it. Give it a try! 

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560

Bacon on turkey is surprisingly not a new thing. I read a few years ago Martha Washington (George's wife), had a recipe for bacon topped turkey. It also included.... Salt pork believe it or not.  I think it was intended to give the bird flavor. I am a bit of a foodie, so I did try the recipe, however what I found is I like my turkey skin crisp and when stuff is placed on top of it- without the skin being crisped it remained moist which I didn't go for. The salt pork was also too salty. But it may have served a purpose in those days when cooking methods were different and spices not as common and meat might have cooked longer or at a different way.

I think if I tackled this in the future I would make the skin crisp and top with bacon, or place the bacon-crisped under the skin.

For Christmas, we usually have turkey, but sometimes we have Ham. We like the traditional stuff so cranberry sauce, stuffing, mashed potato and gravy, pies, and Mince pie. I also admit I like Fruitcake, and I know that takes me into the realm of freakish by many americans, but I also found a recipe for Fruitcake stuffing and I'm going to try that with pork.

Christmas Eve we go to my sisters house - we make a traditional german meat roll and gravy with hand made spaetzl, rolls, and salad.  We only do this meal once a year, its pretty labor intensive, it takes me about 2 hours to make enough noodles to not only feed everyone but have enough for left overs lol.  Then we open gifts, then hang out together, play games, and work on a puzzle together.  Christmas day we do at my house with my mother in law, she comes over in the morning, we open gifts, then for lunch we have a very traditional ham, homemade mashed potatos and gravy, green beans etc.

Its currently 34 degrees and occaisionally spitting snow.  Not enough to actually DO anyhthing lol.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,383
    edited November 2017

When I was growing up we went to my step grandparents for a Polish Christmas dinner. Now, my house we have my parents and my wife's uncle, and her step father (he just passed away from cancer which is going to make this Christmas very depressing for her) and make the traditional Ham, home made mashed potatoes and gravy, greenbean casserole and rolls.

Post edited by frank0314 on
  • I can't believe the thread is on 10 already. It seems like we just started 9. Pets will do some things that surprise us. Like getting out or just hiding out somewhere because they feel like it. Usually, they come back and treat us like we were stupid for worrying. I had a male cat that would do that. I really hope your cat comes back. Cats are very peculiar sometimes. It's hard to know what they are thinking when they take off like that.

I've never heard of bacon on a turkey either. It does sound yummy, though. I love bacon. I want to see what SN's final turkey platter looks like when she's done.  :)

@frank0314   I'm sorry to hear about your wife's stepfather. Holidays can be so sad. I hope she finds something of cheer in the season, and I'm sure you'll be a big help. BTW, if you folks haven't tried the Sister Schubert rolls, they are YUMMY. 

A year ago is when I had Misty put to sleep (around Dec 17th) so that's coming up. I just got back from walking the neighborhood again, by the woods, and found a friend. It wasn't MY cat, but it was one that scared the crap out of me two weeks ago. I was bending down to feed Shadow and something else rubbed against my leg, I almost jumped out of my skin. Viva "Priscilla." (That's the name of a dark black tortie mix I had in 1986.)  So Priscilla and I sat on the ground and then when I had to go the problem arose of having her NOT follow. I called my neighbor (who bless her heart, had just finished driving the neighborhood and looking) and said, "You may have to come pick me up! This cat is following me to the road." I told her I was going to ask at that house, if the cat was theirs. 

No, but they are feeding her and her kittens. (SIGH. If you are reading this and don't get your outdoor roaming animals fixed, DO IT.) Anyway, she ran in the house and he just grinned, so at least I know THAT cat is being fed. His little boy was in the floor petting her, so she is loved. Quite affectionate cat. I asked them to keep her inside so I could make my "Getaway." Mission accomplished. 

Update on the barn owner's brother: he is breathing on his own and eating soft foods! Now has use of his right hand/right side seems okay and won't be paralyzed. He can't put sentences together or talk clearly yet. I don't know about his overall mobility. He thinks he is going to leave the hospital and go stay at the barn owner's place and she's like, "Nope. Rehab."  (For a long time.) But thought I'd share some good news.

• BlueIreneBlueIrene Posts: 1,318

It's always hard when a pet goes missing, and I feel for you, Cathie. It's worrying when cats that do have outdoor experience fail to come home (I had one that accidentally got himself locked in a neighbour's garden shed once for a couple of days, so it might be worth asking yours to check theirs) and it must be much harder when house cats get out and disappear. Unless she's actually shown fear of what's outside the house before, having no experience of it might not necessarily indicate bad news - she'll still have her instincts and encountering the wider world for the first time could just feel like such a big and exciting adventure to her that she'll take that bit longer to come home than more experienced cats would and will be back once the novelty has worn off, and that's why she's been gone for so long. Like others have said, don't give up.

It also might be worth checking with your local vetinary practices. I've 'liked' ours on Facebook and consequently often see (and share) posts describing missing animals that have been handed in to them and are being kept at the practice. Fingers crossed here that you find her soon.

What great news about the barn owner's brother!

• NathNath Posts: 2,713

I hope the kitty comes back soon! I know how anxious I'd be if one of mine got out.

Ugh, I had a newly bought showcase render going (https://www.daz3d.com/the-private-garden and https://www.daz3d.com/barkley-hd-for-genesis-3-male), but it just crashed the render while I wasn't looking. The computer was happily rendering away and when I came back just plain Studio, no render window, no error message or anything. Weird. I may try again tonight after work.

Just walked the neighborhood 11pm-11:30pm and it did make me feel good that another feral black cat was eating the dry cat food (left out every night, as Shadow comes back, as do several other strays)  So at least another black cat is going to have some energy to ward off the cold.

@nath  I wonder if you had a Windows update? Hate it when that happens. 

I'm on Windows 7 on the desktop, so not a surprise update. I'll see what happens when I try again.

• Aw, I hope you find her, Novica!  So sorry about that.  Ours has no outdoor experience either but has managed to skim past us twice now.  Granted we were able to get her inside again (the first time our landlady did it with a broom when we were out at work), and I hope you find her very soon.

edited November 2017

P3D Mylou (G8F)         VRV Pepper VRsatility Scarves (Gen3F/Gen8F)     Sunny Shorts Outfit (Gen8F)     FWSA  LightsFX Neutral Environment

Thought you would like to see the Pascale Hair using the LightsFX Neutral Environment lights.

Mylou's skin was slightly tweaked, I changed the reflectivity, added metallicity, increased translucency. Regarding the scarves- I had to go into Scene and Neck Lower to adjust the back of the neck scarf, it was sticking out.  That would have been nice to be in the Adjustment morphs. The scarves fit okay, and there's morphs to raise away from the chest, etc, so with those and using any Scene selections and bend, twist, etc, you'll do okay. I wish, however, there were separate left and right movement sliders, not Movement 1, 2, 3, 4. There are no left and right adjustment sliders, but you can easily use Left Pectoral/ Right Pectoral. (But these should be sliders.) 

Something funny- i started to shut down this test render to fix the poke-through, then noticed the fish STANDING OUT FROM THE SHIRT. The scarf goes under the fish!

I am returning Savage Braid. The hair over the eye is hard to move to the side as it stays stiff IMOand  sticks out into an unwieldy strand when you do "windy."  Bangs Short barely works, you click the cog and undo the parameters, but then to shorten it where it does any good, you're embedding the upper part of the strands into the forehead. (As it's not meant to go beyond parameters.) And you can see what it looks like out of the box, almost totally see-through. You can twiddle with that but I'm not keeping the hair because I wouldn't use it due to the bangs section. 

So the second one has the poke through, just ignore that, wanted you to see the fish, click to enlarge- (and hair.) Headed to the shelter to check on Eevie.

mylou.png
    650 x 900 - 1M
    mylou 2.png
    650 x 900 - 919K
    Post edited by Novica on
  • LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770
    edited November 2017

The challenge of dforcing food is quite an interesting one. I can tell this is going to be a fun project. But I don't want to drerail Novica's discussion... So I may just move this to my thread.  Here is some bacon on top. I had to dform it. But I enlarged the potatoes and removed some fruit. Thanks for the ideas! I will now attempt to improve the lettuce.

LOL! I'm loving your project, Serene Night! This is awesome! 

@Nath mentioned having crashes with DAZ lately. I'm getting those a lot since upgrading to 4.10. It's always during a render (usually as it's loading the images to the card) and I lose everything. Often it's after several test renders and it's more likely to happen if the scene is large and has to drop to CPU. I find myself saving before almost every render now. From the looks of the logs, it appears to be an issue with memory allocation. That said, I have a 5 year old, rebuilt computer. I am in the process of moving to a more powerful one (early Christmas prezzie from my geeky father!) but keeping the same 4GB card until I can afford a bigger one next year. We'll see if it helps. 

@spuffy Thanks! I'm loving Monique 8!

Post edited by Llynara on

@Llynara - wow, my computer is older than yours (seven years this month), and only a 1.5 GB card... And yes, my priority for next year is putting money to the side for a new PC laugh

• firewardenfirewarden Posts: 1,454

I have an nVidia GeForce 4GB GTX 960 and thinking of getting a 1080 (Gigabyte AORUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Xtreme Edition 11GB - $800 on Amazon). Starting to render a large project of book illustrations (farms, forests, pretty large scenes). Trying to decide if it's worth it for the time savings. I'd probably keep both cards or stick the 960 in another machine.

Any thoughts?

edited November 2017
    Llynara said:

LOL! I'm loving your project, Serene Night! This is awesome! 

@Nath mentioned having crashes with DAZ lately. I'm getting those a lot since upgrading to 4.10. It's always during a render (usually as it's loading the images to the card) and I lose everything. Often it's after several test renders and it's more likely to happen if the scene is large and has to drop to CPU. I find myself saving before almost every render now. From the looks of the logs, it appears to be an issue with memory allocation. That said, I have a 5 year old, rebuilt computer. I am in the process of moving to a more powerful one (early Christmas prezzie from my geeky father!) but keeping the same 4GB card until I can afford a bigger one next year. We'll see if it helps. 

@spuffy Thanks! I'm loving Monique 8!

Funny you should say that about the crashing.  I am getting that a lot more often since the upgrade to 4.10 as well. And mine is only a couple of years old and has a nvidia card in it. And most of mine tend to be memory issues as well, which never happened before the upgrade.  Sometimes with scenes I've rendered before with no issue whatsoever.

Post edited by IceDragonArt on
  • I have an nVidia GeForce 4GB GTX 960 and thinking of getting a 1080 (Gigabyte AORUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Xtreme Edition 11GB - $800 on Amazon). Starting to render a large project of book illustrations (farms, forests, pretty large scenes). Trying to decide if it's worth it for the time savings. I'd probably keep both cards or stick the 960 in another machine.

Any thoughts?

I recently did this same upgrade and it was worth it. My renders go a lot faster. If you have the motherboard space to keep the 960 running it will be even better.

This discussion has been closed.