Freebie: How to create a V4 clone (and transfer other figures) for G8F (now with video!)

Comments

• I have an issue in Step 6 of Creating the Clone, which states to:

​"6. Select Genesis, then select Edit/Figure/Geometry/Update Base Geometry. Select Update Vertex Positions, then load the Genesis-G8F shape."

​As soon as I load the Genesis-G8F shape, a message pops up that states:

​"Imcompatible Geometry"
    "The loaded geometry does not match the geometry it is updating.  Vertex and facet count must be the same."

Does anybody know where I am going wrong?

Sorry to bother you guys.  I caught my error.  I failed to set my Genesis figure to the base resolution.

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,524

Had a problem with the final steps in making an Aiko 3 clone, getting lost at step 4, can someone post a screenie/s showing what to do ? :-

Loading the Clone:

3. Select Genesis 8 Female. Under the Parameters Tab, enter Hidden/Clones.

4. Enter the properties of the newly created clone morph, then change the Type to Modifier/Clone.

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,524
    edited March 2018
    Bunyip02 said:

Had a problem with the final steps in making an Aiko 3 clone, getting lost at step 4, can someone post a screenie/s showing what to do ? :-

Loading the Clone:

3. Select Genesis 8 Female. Under the Parameters Tab, enter Hidden/Clones.

4. Enter the properties of the newly created clone morph, then change the Type to Modifier/Clone.

Finally worked out what I was doing wrong - now got it to work !!!!

Aiko 3 - G8F.png
    2018 x 1013 - 528K
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on
  • SixDsSixDs Posts: 2,384
    edited March 2018

"Finally worked out what I was doing wrong - now got it to work !!!!"

Its great that you were able to get it working, Bunyip02. However, it would be nice, for the benefit of others, if you could explain what it was that you were doing wrong, and how to do it correctly, if that is possible. It is quite possible that others may encounter the same problems that you did.

Post edited by SixDs on
  • WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,693

Just saw this! Thanks! Can't wait to try this and thank you so much for explaining things that Daz apparently wants to keep hidden. Although it looks  like a complicated process, this does seem well worth it!

• mtl1mtl1 Posts: 1,500

Thanks!

There are ways to do this in other modeling programs, but I found that this was the most direct way to do it within DS... Let me know if you have any issues, since I'm finally subscribed to my own thread :D

• RhaleRhale Posts: 77
    Tryhard said:

So I noticed some people in this thread managed to get Generation 3 (A3, H3) morphs onto Genesis 8 figures.

I been trying to fit Genesis 1 with A3 shape on Genesis 8 but all I keep ending up with is this:

https://imgur.com/a/2h1oW

ANyone mind giving me helping hand with this?

Hi, I don't know if you solved this but I had the same issue. Here's what I did to fix it:

- follow the tutorial through once to create the V4 Clone, everything worked as described

- follow the preparation phase substituting A3

- for the Creating the Clone phase, skip steps 1-4. The required .obj has already been created during the V4 clone creation, and it was these steps where I was getting distortion of the hands

- follow the Loading and Saving phases substituting A3

The same approach worked for V3.

• mikey186mikey186 Posts: 84

I wonder with this tutorial, can this work for Genesis 3 Female too? I want to convert my clothing from Aiko 3 to Genesis 3 Female with this tutorial.

• Leo LeeLeo Lee Posts: 184

mikey186 said:

I wonder with this tutorial, can this work for Genesis 3 Female too? I want to convert my clothing from Aiko 3 to Genesis 3 Female with this tutorial.

I believe so. 

Many thanks for this tutorial! Works so well!
    A quick render with Charlotte wearing Rebel Forever outfit. :)

Charlotte wearing Rebel Forever

• ChadCryptoChadCrypto Posts: 596
    edited May 2018

Has anyone made a video tutorial on this process? I have been trying to do this for hours now. It's confusing. I work so much better when I see it done.

When I try to load the V4 shape onto G8F it says No Deltas For Morph and it skipped the node. It says it loaded the morph though.. Yet it does not

show up in the hidden/clones

also why is the shape called  G8F to V4 in step 2 of "Loading the Clone" , when it should be the other way around. I'm just a little frustrated. I hope I can figure this out. It seems very useful.

Thanks @MTL1 for this tutorial.

Post edited by ChadCrypto on
    edited May 2018

Ok, I think I figured out where I went wrong. I forgot a step. I was able to get the clone loaded in. though when I try to fit something V4 it does this:

Weird. not sure what happened. kinda funny thoough. every thing I try to fit seems to get stretched out like that.

V4clonetest100.JPG
    581 x 858 - 53K
    Post edited by ChadCrypto on

Nevermind, I figured it out! Whoo Hoo! That was the longest trial and error I have had in a long time. I did it by myself.

After reading the tute over and over. I really see what I did wrong. I missed a couple steps. I think I could do this practically in my sleep now.

Thanks again for this awesome tute. it will save time and money.

Sorry for not replying. Even though this thread is starred and everything, I get *zero* alerts when someone posts a reply.

I actually have a bit more time these days, so I'll post up a tutorial once I'm finished with my current project...

• cedarwolfcedarwolf Posts: 64

Beauty!  I have tons of V4 characters I want to use in Studio, and if I can ever figure this out, it is now apparently possible.  Might there be a scripting genius out there somewhere who could set it up with an "idiot friendly" interface so those of use who tragically tech impaired can play along?

Thanks ever so much for your generosity,

Cedar Wolf

• SnowSultanSnowSultan Posts: 3,495
    edited May 2018

EDIT: I was having trouble but I think I fixed whatever was wrong. Thank you very much for this tutorial.

Post edited by SnowSultan on

Sooooo I finally made the video version of this tutorial: 

However, the procedure is slightly differen than the original version. Yields the same result though!

• cridgitcridgit Posts: 1,757
    edited May 2022

Redacted

Post edited by cridgit on
    edited June 2018

Hi cridgit, I know the exact answer to that problem, but it takes a while for me to explain. Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested in why that happens.

edit: In short, this particular method is non-exact, but is sufficient for generating clones as we only need the shape. Other things like weight maps and morphs will be distorted.

I have an upcoming tutorial related to that -- actually a few years in the making because I keep getting sidetracked -- but hopefully it'll explain a couple of things :)

Post edited by mtl1 on
  • cridgitcridgit Posts: 1,757
    edited May 2022

Redacted

Post edited by cridgit on

Sorry about that; I got sidetracked at work these past few days... just replied to it!

• CriosCrios Posts: 2,646

But, if i've this

https://www.daz3d.com/gen-3-iconic-shapes-for-genesis

Can i use for create clones for G8F or G8M. So, for example, G8M can fit M3 dess?

• CriosCrios Posts: 2,646

I have an issue in Step 6 of Creating the Clone, which states to:

​"6. Select Genesis, then select Edit/Figure/Geometry/Update Base Geometry. Select Update Vertex Positions, then load the Genesis-G8F shape."

​As soon as I load the Genesis-G8F shape, a message pops up that states:

​"Imcompatible Geometry"
    "The loaded geometry does not match the geometry it is updating.  Vertex and facet count must be the same."

Does anybody know where I am going wrong?

You must export base geomentry, and set everytime base Geometry also for G8

• chweintrchweintr Posts: 13

I don'tsee the hidden/clones tab under the genesis  parameters tab where it used to be... Did Daz remove it? or am I missing something?

• chweintr said:

I don'tsee the hidden/clones tab under the genesis  parameters tab where it used to be... Did Daz remove it? or am I missing something?

They wouldn't be visible by default  -you probably had Show Hidden Parameters, in the Parametrs pane option menu, on before and off now.

• Does this method work on V4 character morphs? If so, if I just wanted the head morph, would I be able to do that with this?

• When I fit Genesis onto Genesis 8 Female Dev Load, Genesis/Full Body and accept it, Daz crashed at around 20% completiion. What is going on?

• Crash to desktop or crash to Daz crash report? What settings did you pick in AutoFit?

• wscottartwscottart Posts: 420
    edited November 2018

Great stuff. I got my G8 fitting v4 clothing nicely along with hair. Its when I I go to the hidden clone dial and crank V4 to 1.0 that's when I get distorted fingers when applying poses. DId I do something wrong or should I leave that dial along, and try to just dial the Victoria 8 body shapes instead. Also Daz studio seems to have become more crash prone after this tweak. I saved my clone geometries to a different location (runtime) than the base geometries by the way.

So I guess this is good for :

1. V4 clothing fits to G8

2. V4 hair fits t G8

Not good for :

1. Poses from G8 with clone setting at 1.0

2. Textures for G8 body form V4 body textures

3. Applying v4 character morphs to G8

4. Not good for v4 footwear

Post edited by wscottart on
  • The clone slider is not there to shape the figure, it just provides shape/pose information for the conversion process. As you found the rigging has not been adjusted to cope with the different shape.

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,518

When I fit Genesis onto Genesis 8 Female Dev Load, Genesis/Full Body and accept it, Daz crashed at around 20% completiion. What is going on?

I am getting the same thing every time I try to fit genesis to gensis 8, crash to desktop