Enhanced Hair Shaders for iRay for Any Hair and Any Generation [Commercial]

PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139

I have a new product which should hit the store next week - Hair Lustre Shadres for iRay - which adds realism and depth to most renders of hair. It can be applied to pretty much any hair - male and female, any generation of figures (although multi-layered hair models work best as most more recent hairs are) and in a wide variety of lighting conditions, including backlighting which is difficult to get to look right with most hair models. I have even done a promo with a lion's mane!  And it can even be used on the new V8 fibermesh eyebrows, so it is pretty versatile. Here are a couple of previews.

Promo12.jpg
1300 x 1000 - 507K
Promo10.jpg
1000 x 1300 - 499K
Post edited by Cris Palomino on

Comments

• SigurdSigurd Posts: 1,084

Looks great. Can't wait.

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,745

Yes, the rim lighting looks great.  Hopefully I'll still have some money by the itme it arrives, as this month has been crazy... 

• LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770

This looks great, Phil!

• colinmac2colinmac2 Posts: 407

Looking forward to it.

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Gorgeous!  Looks like another must have from your shop

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139
    edited June 2017

Thanks for the kind comments.  Gives rich and vibrant redheads too...

Promo1.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 483K
    Promo8.jpg
    1300 x 1000 - 306K
    Post edited by PhilW on
  • ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,528

Looks great.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,878

Normally I'm a bit meh about products like this, but holy loot, it looks really good.

I'm curious whether you've applied it to LAMH?

That's a good question - it may well work, I'll see if I can find someone to test it for me (do you have LAMH?).

• AreynaAreyna Posts: 24

Phil, I really love the first promo you did of the girl with the long flowing red hair! And I want to thank you for the honor of being able to be a part of beta testing your new hair shader product. I'm going to post a render I did later, using Hair Lustre Shaders. The Candy Stripe fantasy shader is definitely my favorite!

Letting Go.jpg
    1860 x 2600 - 2M

A very pink and girly image - I love it! And thanks for your help in testing.  Great material on the balloons too!

I do, Phil, and would be happy to test it for you

I have sent you a PM.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,890

These hairs do look much better than the typical hair styles I load from the DAZ Store. 

These hairs do look much better than the typical hair styles I load from the DAZ Store. 

Thanks - the models are exactly the same (it is only a Shaders pack) but the shaders add extra realism which I think transforms the look of these hairs and the way that they react to light, so I hope that it will be of benefit to many DS users.

• Looking good.  So far I have been only able to find one hair shader pack that works well with LAMH, and that is Mec4D's "Unshaven for G2 Males" shaders.  Hope this will add more colors to the mix, though I have to admit I won't be using the bubblegum pink one... ;)

Looking good.  So far I have been only able to find one hair shader pack that works well with LAMH, and that is Mec4D's "Unshaven for G2 Males" shaders.  Hope this will add more colors to the mix, though I have to admit I won't be using the bubblegum pink one... ;)

Don't worry - there are a total of 50 shades to choose from, mostly more realistic shades!  timmins.william has a copy to test with LAMH so let's see how he gets on - I think it should work in theory, but he will be able to prove it and also see how good they look.

edited June 2017

I'm eager to see how easily it works in LAMH; going to try regular hair, Afro, squirrel, maybe a bear and wolf.

Also curious, experimenting with older content, how well it can spruce up old hair.

Post edited by Oso3D on
  • LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770
    edited June 2017

Also curious, experimenting with older content, how well it can spruce up old hair.

I'm interested to see how it looks on really old hairs. They could use some love.

Post edited by Llynara on

Actually could PhilW show the old Classic Roll Hair from V4/Genesis, which looks mostly awful in iRay, which his shaders. Yes, I know a new iRay version has been released for that hair but the number of colors is lacking and the shader isn't looking as good as the ones PhilW has illustrated here. 

I'll have a look at that but I am going to be away from my computer for a couple of days. In the meantime, I have seen one of Will's tests with LAMH and I have asked him to share it here - it is looking great!

I should have done the skin the same way both times, so ignore that...

But on the left is a pretty straight 'convert to Iray Uber' from wolf fur. I did change the roughness, since it defaults to 0 which is silly. On the right used dark gray preset and some shine presets.

Wolf lustre test.jpg
    2160 x 1080 - 515K

Rendering a human with LAMH headhair I made a while back. I never liked the hair before, but playing with it with this ... this product easily and quickly makes a decent look, and if anything I think it works better with LAMH because you really don't have to give a wet slap about maps.

(I also tried applying it to the creaky 12 year old Shigi hair and... well, it made it look BETTER but the base model and textures are just too... old)

I'm not GREAT at creating LAMH hair, but here's a style I made a while back.

The figure is Stephanie 5 with a few tweaks (with NGS Anagenessis).

With human LAMH hair, honestly, the enhanced hair shaders work really REALLY easily, since you don't have to worry at all about image maps.

Steph across the water.jpg
    2160 x 2160 - 658K
  • pdspds Posts: 593

That looks great, Will!

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,091

I should have done the skin the same way both times, so ignore that...

But on the left is a pretty straight 'convert to Iray Uber' from wolf fur. I did change the roughness, since it defaults to 0 which is silly. On the right used dark gray preset and some shine presets.

Is that really the same lighting? The one on the right (with Phil's shader) looks amazingly better. Guess I'd better start counting out the pennies!

Everything is the same except skin and fur.

I really ought to make another render with the same skin, but the fiber hair made for a 193 mb scene file and dear lordie.

I may do either one of the catworld guys or squirrel next.

What I like about this shader is that it's not hugely complex, which keeps weird stuff from happening like other stuff I've used.

Wow, the wolf & lady look good. I was on the fence but even if this hair shader can't rescue something like the V4/Genesis Classic Roll Hair I will be buying.

edited June 2017

Not as dramatic as the wolf, but the shader still makes a subtle improvement; left side is pretty much straight Iray Uber from the LAMH shader, the right side uses gray preset and soft shading from this product.

(If I had changed the lighting a little it might have accentuated the difference, but still; this is a good 'regular use' test)

Squirrel comparison.jpg
    2160 x 1080 - 878K
    Post edited by Oso3D on

And here's the second image, twice as big/more detail

Squirrel2.jpg
    2160 x 2160 - 1M