how do i put a logo or pic on a jacket and still use i ray shaders

lasagnamanlasagnaman Posts: 1,001
edited April 2017 in The Commons

ok i want to take a shirt or jacket from daz studio that i purchased and put it in photoshop and put my own logo or pic on the shirt or jacket 

now the problem is when i change the shader to iray in the surface tab in daz studio  it turns into the texture  now how do i use the iray shader and put the pic on the shirt 

thats the problem i need help with 

Post edited by lasagnaman on

Comments

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,945

There's a couple of wys you can do it, but what I tend to do is, using the Diffuse map, select browse from the drop down menu and pick the texture in use from the diretcoty listing, then right-click it and pick 'open with ..' and select GIMP (I don't have photoshop).  I tehn edit the tetxure - such as placing soem text on it, or loadign another image as a new layer and positioningit, etc., then saving it under another name (important tip, that!!!). I then repeat the browse process and pick the new texture for this surface.

• lasagnamanlasagnaman Posts: 1,001

ty so much    but ia m a little confused 

so another words so do i change the shirt to iray texture firs then go to photoshop  iam confused  

• What does change the shirt to iRay mean? Are you using iRay uber shader? If so, it doesn't matter if you do that before or after. I'd do it first, save your scene (use a different name). Find the texture for the shirt, edit it, save it under a different name and then select that texture in the Surface panel. SimonJM's instructions were spot on.

yes iam using iray uber shader  but what happens is when i change the jacket or shirt to a different shader that diffuse map of the shirt gets replaced by the shader thats what i am talking about   in other words i would like to use a jacket and use sveva's iray leather shader on it and then put the logo on the jacket or shirt   understand what i mean ?

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,313

You could use a decal for the logo on the shirt,

to retain textures when applying a shader hold down the ctrl key when applying you should get a box pop up choose 'ignore'. The shader won't look the same as it needs its maps to get the correct effect.

• RuphussRuphuss Posts: 2,631
    SimonJM said:

There's a couple of wys you can do it, but what I tend to do is, using the Diffuse map, select browse from the drop down menu and pick the texture in use from the diretcoty listing, then right-click it and pick 'open with ..' and select GIMP (I don't have photoshop).  I tehn edit the tetxure - such as placing soem text on it, or loadign another image as a new layer and positioningit, etc., then saving it under another name (important tip, that!!!). I then repeat the browse process and pick the new texture for this surface.

you cannot do this when using connect

• DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 2,882
    Ruphuss said:
    SimonJM said:

you cannot do this when using connect

Yes you can.  You just need to save the new texture in a separate file folder that isn't part of the connect directory.  I do it all the time.

hi how do i do that 

save it in a separate folder

save it in a separate folder

Forgive me if I'm not as comprehensive as I could be.  Just finished a 4 show weekend at my daughter's school (And her theater program is very good, so this isn't some slap-dash high school production.)  Anyway:

* Open the file you wish to change in the graphics editor of your choice (Photoshop, I believe you said)

* Make your modifications

* Save As (as opposed to just Save) a new file name in a location of your choice. (MyDazHomebrew/Textures for example)

* In Daz Studio, you will then select the channel with the texture map you wish to change and click on the thumbnail

* Go to "browse" and click on that

* manuver through the folders (as you would through any other computer folders) to where you saved the new texture and select it.

New texture should be loaded in.

Note you may have to adjust tiling on the shader.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,569

...when I make changes to textures in Gimp or PSP, I save them in the same folder but using the "save as" option and giving them a different name so when I want to use them I don't have to hunt around for a different folder.  

edited April 2017
    kyoto kid said:

...when I make changes to textures in Gimp or PSP, I save them in the same folder but using the "save as" option and giving them a different name so when I want to use them I don't have to hunt around for a different folder.  

But that's not an option with Daz Connect folders.  You can't save anything in them.  I've tried.  (though admittedly not recently)

Post edited by DaWaterRat on

ok so another words all i have to do is load the shirt in daz browse to the texture of the shirt and open it in photoshop and then  

put my logo or pic on it and then i get a little confused after that 

ok so another words all i have to do is load the shirt in daz browse to the texture of the shirt and open it in photoshop and then  

put my logo or pic on it and then i get a little confused after that 

Once you've made your changes, use File->Save As to save it under another name.  If you're using Daz Connect to install your files, you will also need to save it in another directory.

You can then browse to the location of the New texture to put it on your shirt in Daz

Ok what directory can i save it in
  • ScavengerScavenger Posts: 2,664

Hi... you should really put some hint of your question in the subject line.

Like "I have a question about altering textures"

Or "How can I put my own logo on a jacket?"

Ok what directory can i save it in

I'd make a new one, myself.  My Daz Library/Custom/Textures for example

i s the gimp harder to do it then photoshop  

Use whichever program you have and are more familiar with.  I don't have Photoshop, so I can't say if GIMP is easier or not.

• ScavengerScavenger Posts: 2,664

I find Gimp harder to use than Photoshop (but then I've been using photoshop for...enough years it makes me sad thinking about it).  But use what ya got :)

hello iam still having problems  can someone make a tutorial on youtube on how to do this 

i tried it last night  but no luck   i guess iam confused on how to do it  please can someone help  ty very much

• You could also use LIE to add a layer with your image on the existing texture within DS

hi how do i do that never used that before 

• greymouser69greymouser69 Posts: 499
    edited April 2017

Under the surface tab click on the image for diffuse shown in first pic

this will bring up a menu and choose Layered Image Editor... as seen in the second pic

This opens the LIE:

From there you can click + to add a layer and pick your image you want to overlay.

pic1.png
    467 x 500 - 45K
    pic2.png
    355 x 160 - 7K
    pic3.png
    810 x 692 - 679K
    Post edited by greymouser69 on
  • the image used what would be best size to use

• oh I see you can resize and move in lie not easy though could do with some way to line it up in size and position like the template of the garment or whatever 

• tj_1ca9500btj_1ca9500b Posts: 2,047
    edited April 2017

If you want to use Gimp, you may want to get the hang of Layering Images in Gimp.  Layering is a good skill to have, and once you get it down you'll find it very useful.

Here's the Gimp documentation on the issue (there are also several written and video tutorials via google, etc. searches).

https://docs.gimp.org/en/gimp-image-combining.html

This will allow you to edit the logo or pic in Gimp (which you are probably doing already), with the base texture underneath your logo as a separate layer for reference (so that you can size the logo, etc. appropriately)..

I've gotten very used to using layers in Photoshop, and I did try Gimp but I prefer Photosohop (even though my PS version is over a decade old now).  It all comes down to what you are comfortable using.

At the very least, you can use the base texture as a baseline to help you get the sizing, etc. right before using LIE in Daz to add it to the texture, or you could add it to the texture in Gimp directly via layering.  And maybe playing with transparency a little bit to to preserve some of the underlying bump map or whatever (for that subtexture) if that matters to you, but that's probably waaay more involved than you need to get for a simple logo your first go round.  It all depends on the level of surface detailing that you are looking for.  If you use GIMP to add the logo, remember to save to a slightly different filename, so that you don't overwrite the original texture (if you reuse the garment, you may want the unmodified texture later).

A number of people here perfer using LIE for adding this sort of thing to garments, etc., I'll let them explain the advantages.  Again, it all comes down to what you are most comfortable with.

Post edited by tj_1ca9500b on