WillowRaven's latest model/product requests: Legend of the Seeker outfit

Comments

• DaremoK3DaremoK3 Posts: 798
    edited December 1969

No need to re-post the pics. I'm paying attention. Really... I swear. I can easily peruse the thread, and see them just fine.

I missed the mark on the pouch placement because I was going from memory, and working late half-asleep. In fact, I finished the WIP late last night (early this morning?), but was just too tired to post. I will adjust the pouch to sit lower. Looks like at base of chest, or just below.

I can make a MT to lower the neck-cord to match. If you do decide to use Chris' cord I can include the MT, and create a couple of movement ones as well, if you would like.

You can get the neck-cord here in Chris Cox's "NecklacePack1" (almost bottom of page):

http://dragonspace.com/wordpress/?cat=21&paged=2

Check out all his other work. He is a really great creator, and a very generous individual. His freebies are top-notch, and you might find use for some of his stuff for your covers.

Regarding the crystal base-n-holder. Monday deadline... Ouch!

Shape/geometry wise, it looks easy, but I have no idea what I am really looking at. The author really needs to learn how to supply at least three basic views (including top and side), as well as not cutting off important design elements. I'm not saying they need to be an artist. Stick figures are fine as long as the design is at least comprehensible.

I will see what I can do, but no promises. Will post tomorrow. I am praying the black squiggly lines are coloring in the shape to represent black (Black Onyx perhaps?), and not some kind of design element. Any help you can supply would be great. For now I will fly blind.

• WillowRavenWillowRaven Posts: 3,724
    edited December 1969

DaremoK3 said:
    No need to re-post the pics. I'm paying attention. Really... I swear. I can easily peruse the thread, and see them just fine.

Lol ... I wasn't implying that you were blind ... lol. I have a tendency to edit my posts because I realize I forgot some or other detail and just go back and add it, then I remember than some people don't read posts after they've already seen them. So I didn't know if you had missed it due to one of my madd edits ... lol.

I missed the mark on the pouch placement because I was going from memory, and working late half-asleep. In fact, I finished the WIP late last night (early this morning?), but was just too tired to post. I will adjust the pouch to sit lower. Looks like at base of chest, or just below.

No big deal, really. I can always adjust placement myself. I have to imply that it 'could' fit in his tunic, even though it's flailing about in the scene.

I can make a MT to lower the neck-cord to match. If you do decide to use Chris' cord I can include the MT, and create a couple of movement ones as well, if you would like.

That would be awesome, thanks!

You can get the neck-cord here in Chris Cox's "NecklacePack1" (almost bottom of page):

http://dragonspace.com/wordpress/?cat=21&paged=2

Check out all his other work. He is a really great creator, and a very generous individual. His freebies are top-notch, and you might find use for some of his stuff for your covers.

Perfect! I will head there right now :-)

Regarding the crystal base-n-holder. Monday deadline... Ouch!

I think I can push it to Wednesday if I send her a draft of other parts of the scene by Monday. I often have to tempt authors into patience. I think sometimes they really believe original art happens over night ... lol.

Shape/geometry wise, it looks easy, but I have no idea what I am really looking at. The author really needs to learn how to supply at least three basic views (including top and side), as well as not cutting off important design elements. I'm not saying they need to be an artist. Stick figures are fine as long as the design is at least comprehensible.

She says she didn't describe it much in the book, other than being gold metal. When I pushed lightly for details, asking if it was like a ring or other type of jewelry setting/housing, just long to suit this stone's odd shape, she excitedly said "Yes! Why didn't I think of describing it like that." ... lol And if you think THIS sketch was rough, you have not seen some of the one's I've framed in my studio ... lol. I get some wacky sketches and descriptions. But I don't complain. If they ever figure out how to draw or render I'm out of business ... lol.

I will see what I can do, but no promises. Will post tomorrow. I am praying the black squiggly lines are coloring in the shape to represent black (Black Onyx perhaps?), and not some kind of design element. Any help you can supply would be great. For now I will fly blind.

I completely understand :D If push comes to shove, I'll Frankenstein something ... lol. Just let me know if you think Wed is too soon and I'll get started improvising. I'm just ecstatic so many modelers are willing to help and never wish to wear out my welcome. So if you can't, you can't. Perfectly ok by me :D Would it help if I showed you the stone it is to be mounted on? I'll attach a crop of the scene.

sword_crop.jpg
    184 x 501 - 31K
    edited December 1969

Don't worry, I'm on it. You won't need to Frankenstein anything together (unless I fail miserably). I am working on it right now. Just searching for a stone texture to apply to the stone prop.

Yeah, the picture helps (I like the look you achieved on the crystal), but now I am a little confused. I started with creating the stone, but you have a stone. Do you only want me to create the crystal mount/holder?

Also, in the description on the last page you said it is a holder (now I know gold, thank you) on top of a stone on top of a plinth. Isn't the stone actually the plinth? In other words, are there three elements to hold the crystal (plinth, stone, mount), or just two (stone/plinth, mount)?

Would you like any kind of embellishment/decoration on the mount? Or, do you want it smooth like a basic gold ring?

Here is a quick WIP pic:

CrystalMountWIP01.jpg
    535 x 605 - 43K
    edited June 2012

DaremoK3 said:
    Don't worry, I'm on it. You won't need to Frankenstein anything together (unless I fail miserably). I am working on it right now. Just searching for a stone texture to apply to the stone prop.

Yeah, the picture helps (I like the look you achieved on the crystal), but now I am a little confused. I started with creating the stone, but you have a stone. Do you only want me to create the crystal mount/holder?

Also, in the description on the last page you said it is a holder (now I know gold, thank you) on top of a stone on top of a plinth. Isn't the stone actually the plinth? In other words, are there three elements to hold the crystal (plinth, stone, mount), or just two (stone/plinth, mount)?

Would you like any kind of embellishment/decoration on the mount? Or, do you want it smooth like a basic gold ring?

Here is a quick WIP pic:

Wow, you're fast ... lol. I actually have the stone. And the plinth the stone rests on is not viewable in the scene. I had to explain to her that SOMETHING had to go in the foreground and she chose the sword over the MC, which means if she wants readers to see the crystal, she has to sacrifice seeing just the top part of the stone. So don't worry about that part. All I need is the bracket, which I can hopefully make it look like it's been majickally embedded into the top of that stone in postwork so it can support the crystal. Make sense?

As far as embellishments go, I am probably going to etch runes and other wizardy stuffs into it. Anything majickal looking ... lol.

Would you like me to email you the full scene? I just can't show it in a public forum without author approval first. Hence the cropped images.

Post edited by WillowRaven on
    edited December 1969

O.K., I will concentrate on finishing the mount. Below are some more WIP pics. There are two versions at this stage for you to decide which one you want me to complete. The difference is where the mount meets the crystal. Please ignore the quick mock-up crystal. I have the crystal mesh on another PC, and I don't feel like retrieving it right now. I will do that tomorrow, and line everything up correctly before moving on to UV mapping.

No, I don't need you to send me anything. I think we are good here. No worries that you can't post full renders. The cropped pieces are fine to work with.

I'm done for now. I need to catch up on some sleep. I'll resume again tomorrow. Good night...

CrystalMountWIP03.jpg
    625 x 615 - 66K
    CrystalMountWIP02.jpg
    775 x 610 - 75K
    edited December 1969

DaremoK3 said:
    O.K., I will concentrate on finishing the mount. Below are some more WIP pics. There are two versions at this stage for you to decide which one you want me to complete. The difference is where the mount meets the crystal. Please ignore the quick mock-up crystal. I have the crystal mesh on another PC, and I don't feel like retrieving it right now. I will do that tomorrow, and line everything up correctly before moving on to UV mapping.

No, I don't need you to send me anything. I think we are good here. No worries that you can't post full renders. The cropped pieces are fine to work with.

I'm done for now. I need to catch up on some sleep. I'll resume again tomorrow. Good night...

Perfect! :-)

I've got to be honest, though. I don't see a difference between the two ... lol. So I guess which ever one turns you on & you feel most proud of, go with that one. Totally amazing. I would have been at this forever and a day, even frankensteining ... lol. I just don't have the patience .. lol.

Rest well, my friend.

Oh, ps, the author saw the draft with just the sword and is absolutely thrilled. It's "brilliant" and "just what I wanted". Just thought you might like to know :cheese:

edited December 1969

Oh, and nobody start any razor-like phazers/fazers (however the heck it's spelled ... I'm an artist for a living, not a spelling teacher) ... lol. I found a freebie the author may accept, so wait until ya'll hear from me about it again before dedicating ya'lls appreciated time on it.

edited December 1969

Final crystal mount model sent to you, Aidana.

MountFinal.jpg
    785 x 652 - 45K
  • M F MM F M Posts: 1,388
    edited June 2012

Oh, and nobody start any razor-like phazers/fazers (however the heck it's spelled ... I'm an artist for a living, not a spelling teacher) ... lol. I found a freebie the author may accept, so wait until ya'll hear from me about it again before dedicating ya'lls appreciated time on it.

The LASER (Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation) might be considered to be a precursor to the "phaser" (PHoton mASER or more recently PHASed Energy Rectification).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_weapons_in_Star_Trek#Energy_weapons for interesting history.

*Totally unfazed* ;-)

Thanks for the encouragement DaremoK3 <(^_^)... I'm still struggling with the curves, but slowly beating this thing into a shape I like. I realised that if twisting splines is anything like twisting wool together, then I should twist the snake body "backwards" at the same time as twisting the pair of them together... which is what this next WIP is part-way there to doing.</p>

EDIT: I also found that my previous attempt was rapidly approaching the "weight" of a V4 ... clearly using waaay too many faces in the body of the snakes X)... so merged a bunch of loops together which, since this thing will really only be maybe 40-50 pixels on Aidana's final render, nobody'll notice anyway (>_<).</p>

EDIT^2: nice crystal and mount ^_^.

snakeRing02_ss1.png
    800 x 609 - 312K
    Post edited by M F M on
    edited December 1969

Whoops! ... overdid it a bit X)...

snakeRing02_ss2.png
    800 x 600 - 272K
    edited December 1969

M F M said:
    The LASER (Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation) might be considered to be a precursor to the "phaser" (PHoton mASER or more recently PHASed Energy Rectification).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_weapons_in_Star_Trek#Energy_weapons for interesting history.

*Totally unfazed* ;-)

lol ... thanks for the fun history :-) I'm glad I asked ya'll to hold up on the phaser. The author is thinking I need to show her a sample without the phaser because she thinks it throws off leg proportions. lol

I also found that my previous attempt was rapidly approaching the "weight" of a V4 ... clearly using waaay too many faces in the body of the snakes X)... so merged a bunch of loops together which, since this thing will really only be maybe 40-50 pixels on Aidana's final render, nobody'll notice anyway (>_<).</div>

On the front cover, it will be small. But if we use it as the blurb's 'frame' on the back cover, it will be a close-up. But I think it's looking AWESOME. These guys look more masculine and fierce, too.

I do prefer the smooth version here or the twisty one below, though. I'm thinking only one or two twists if at all. What do ya'll think?

edited December 1969

DaremoK3 said:
    Final crystal mount model sent to you, Aidana.

Perfect, perfect, PERFECT! Going to go play with this right now. :cheese:

edited December 1969

Snake ring is looking good M F M. Can't wait to see your final piece.

I worked on the neck pouch some more tonight. Still some more work to be done, and then finish up the UV's. WIP pics below:

MarkII_WIP_01.jpg
    556 x 800 - 59K
    MarkII_WIP.jpg
    625 x 529 - 41K
    edited June 2012

Ok, _now_ I think I've got a grip on wrapping things around a cylinder >_<... I should have started from a simple cylinder, and wrapped the snake bodies around it first, before constructing the head (and the diamond) ... live and learn.</p>

EDIT: I'm really liking the strings (and knot) on your pouch D3 - was that all done using a 3D curve and patience?

EDIT2: don't panic Aidana! ... I haven't forgotten the "snake bodies"... the ring below is just a test of the technique for wrapping a shape around a cylinder. Now that I have that down pat, I'll remove all the decorative green goo and leave just the two major "under-and-over" cylinders, which you'll be able to put your snakeskin shader on ^_^.

(Blender cycles render below - beaten and shinyyyy ^_^)

snakeRing04_cy1.png
    800 x 800 - 512K
    snakeRing04_cy2.png
    800 x 800 - 525K
    Post edited by M F M on
    edited December 1969

EDIT2: don't panic Aidana! ... I haven't forgotten the "snake bodies"... the ring below is just a test of the technique for wrapping a shape around a cylinder. Now that I have that down pat, I'll remove all the decorative green goo and leave just the two major "under-and-over" cylinders, which you'll be able to put your snakeskin shader on ^_^.

I like this, but I can't see where you are going with it... lol. This is the one I like and want. Is it almost ready for me?

snakeRing02_ss1.png
    800 x 609 - 312K
    edited December 1969

DaremoK3 said:
    Snake ring is looking good M F M. Can't wait to see your final piece.

I worked on the neck pouch some more tonight. Still some more work to be done, and then finish up the UV's. WIP pics below:

This is looking very cool :D I like the fastener. Very inventive :D

edited December 1969

... I do prefer the smooth version here or the twisty one below, though. I'm thinking only one or two twists if at all. What do ya'll think?

Ok, the smooth one will be quickest (and cleanest) to get to you... I'll focus on UV-unwrapping and testing in DS3 now <(^_^).</p>

edited December 1969

M F M said:
    ... I do prefer the smooth version here or the twisty one below, though. I'm thinking only one or two twists if at all. What do ya'll think?

Ok, the smooth one will be quickest (and cleanest) to get to you... I'll focus on UV-unwrapping and testing in DS3 now <(^_^).<br />

Awesome! This is so exciting :D Like Christmas in June :D

edited June 2012

Just an update on the neck pouch. Finished UV mapping, and testing a worn leather texture.

I also remapped Chris' V4 neck cord, so you can match the texture with the pouch (old-n-worn). I will include a new texture map, and the UVS file for UVMapper (free version). All you have to do is load in Chris Cox's neck cord into UVMapper, and then import the UVS file I created, export a new OBJ, and replace Chris' in his Geometries folder with the remapped version.

M F M:
    To answer your question, combination of Hexagon curves with thickness tool, and hand editing (for many hours) in Wings3D. I like doing things the hard way.

And, I like the first render in your post. Even if that is not what Aidana is looking for it would make a great bracelet or ring freebie. Great Cycles renders.

WIP pic:

WornLeather_WIP.jpg
    500 x 625 - 52K
    Post edited by DaremoK3 on
    edited December 1969

DaremoK3 said:
    Just an update on the neck pouch. Finished UV mapping, and testing a worn leather texture.

I also remapped Chris' V4 neck cord, so you can match the texture with the pouch (old-n-worn). I will include a new texture map, and the UVS file for UVMapper (free version). All you have to do is load in Chris Cox's neck cord into UVMapper, and then import the UVS file I created, export a new OBJ, and replace Chris' in his Geometries folder with the remapped version.

M F M:
    To answer your question, combination of Hexagon curves with thickness tool, and hand editing (for many hours) in Wings3D. I like doing things the hard way.

And, I like the first render in your post. Even if that is not what Aidana is looking for it would make a great bracelet or ring freebie. Great Cycles renders.

WIP pic:

This is looking so awesome!

And I agree MFM, although the cylinder ring is not what the author want's it would be totally cool to have in the runtime. I hope you don't scrap it.

edited December 1969

Y'know, working for/with you people is just waaaaay too much fun >_<.</p>

Following is a screencap from Blender, showing the ring does eventually fit the finger (ok, it's a V4 finger in DS3, but I'm _guessing_ Mike's finger will follow roughly the same proportions), and a Real Quick Render(tm) from DS3 after a little sizing/scraping here and there.

Pssst check your inbox Aidana ;-).

snakeRing04_ds.png
    800 x 800 - 237K
    snakeRing04_ss1.png
    773 x 800 - 311K
    edited December 1969

DaremoK3 said:
    To answer your question, combination of Hexagon curves with thickness tool, and hand editing (for many hours) in Wings3D. I like doing things the hard way...

Hmm... no argument there ;-)... since you mentioned it, I had to try a quick knot in Blender - this was about 90 seconds with a curve... definitely the masochist, aren't you? ;-). Actually, I have a "decorative knots" book here (specifically, the Ashley Book of Knots)... I wonder if I should try plugging in a few (more complex) knots as a reuseable library of decorations (`.`)... maybe after this...

knot.png
    800 x 800 - 183K
    edited December 1969

M F M said:
    Y'know, working for/with you people is just waaaaay too much fun >_<.</p>

Following is a screencap from Blender, showing the ring does eventually fit the finger (ok, it's a V4 finger in DS3, but I'm _guessing_ Mike's finger will follow roughly the same proportions), and a Real Quick Render(tm) from DS3 after a little sizing/scraping here and there.

Pssst check your inbox Aidana ;-).

Weeee! I'm going to go play with it right now :-)

I'll give ya'll a peek in a bit.

edited June 2012

Well this took a bit longer... and could have done with a bit more work nudging curves about... the humble sheepshank (^_^)h.

On reflection, Aidana, I was wondering (a) if the gem was now too small (looks a bit like an engagement ring rather than a Ring Of Powah imho), and (b) if it was worth my time nudging the ring out of "circular" to meet the contours of the finger (since you can probably do the same, faster, using deformers).

If the gem DOES need to be made bigger... would the snakes still be able to grip it the way they do? (if the author says "too smalllll! make it bigger! >_<"... then I'd welcome advice on what size the snake heads would be, and how they would clasp the gem (if they don't open their mouths to hold it, like =8<(#)>8= ...).

quick_test13_cy.png
    800 x 800 - 588K
    Post edited by M F M on
    edited December 1969

Heheh... I wonder if you can slip one of these onto a background character somewhere... "product placement", y'know ;-)...

quick_test14.png
    800 x 400 - 228K
    edited December 1969

M F M said:
    Heheh... I wonder if you can slip one of these onto a background character somewhere... "product placement", y'know ;-)...

That is totally cool!!!

But the R in Raven is capitalized ... lol.

edited December 1969

Whoops... sorRy <(^_^)... </p>

(hmmm... I should probably start posting some more DS renders, before Ms Chohole bops me with her club >_<...)</p>

quick_test14b.png
    800 x 400 - 246K
    edited June 2012

The ring is working great MFM. It's really too small to see on the front cover, but as I anticipated, we'll be using it on the back cover to frame the blurb. I'll show ya'll soon :D

On another topic, someone mentioned deformers ... I don't need it for this, but I do for another item. Problem is, I don't know how to do it ... lol. I saw a video tutorial in passing but can't find it now. Do you guys know of any?

Post edited by WillowRaven on
    edited June 2012

M F M:
    Knots look good.

Here is another progress post. How are we doing on time, Aidana? I can probably have it completed, packaged, and sent to you within two days. My Poserizing, and modifying for M4 (from default V4 base) did not go as well as expected today. I need to start again tomorrow, and make corrections (fit correctly on M4 with MT's for the neck-cord, and rotate correctly at the pouch loop apex). Not a problem to complete it correctly, just need time.

Also, I have one more session with the textures. I need to create specular maps, clean up a few spots (at seams), and add a little distress variety.

Here are some more WIP pics showing the nearly completed work. You can either use pouch like pics below with displacement map, or without displacement lacing and original texture (I'll include both). Side note; The previous post showing texture test looks different due to incomplete UV mapping, and from Wings3D view-port with low res mapping (512X512).

*EDIT: Regarding deformers, depending on the context you were discussing/learning about them, the only ones I know that I think you are referring to are magnet deformers in DS and Poser. If this is what you are referring to, than they are to deform meshes for things like to fix poke-through, and create custom morph targets. I was using Poser magnet deformers to create MT's for the neck-cord tonight, but didn't like the mesh warping, and loss of my custom joint parameter setup for the pouch. They have there uses, but are not the end all for all creation needs. I will do proper morph targets, and re-setup in Wings3D, or Hexagon tomorrow.

Lacing_WIP04.jpg
    550 x 600 - 61K
    Lacing_WIP03.jpg
    425 x 598 - 28K
    Lacing_WIP02.jpg
    565 x 585 - 54K
    Lacing_WIP01.jpg
    550 x 630 - 33K
    Post edited by DaremoK3 on
    edited June 2012

That, is an awesome looking pouch! (^/\^)... would go great at the waist on a belt too, I suspect, along with perhaps some hardened leather "square" pouches too. Just the thing for your average well-dressed ranger to store her random herbs in :D.

Post edited by M F M on