Shaaelia said:
    pillow slip? :-)

Nope. Biblical headdress.

• shaaeliashaaelia Posts: 613
    edited December 1969

:ohh: Wow! It looks great!

• WillowRavenWillowRaven Posts: 3,724
    edited December 1969

Thought you guys might like to see the crazy-deadline cover I had to spit out in two days ... lol.

Thank you sooo much, Lordvicore, for creating headstones for a regular cemetery. :D I only had one, and it was looking pretty drab & generic with all of the stones the same.

Here, it's sized for the forum, but at rendo in my gallery, ya'll can see it better: http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/index.php?image_id=2344441&user_id=665887&np;&np;
    Now back to the other projects ...

Vic-Ghost-cover-art----for-web_at_777.jpg
    518 x 777 - 109K
    Vic_Ghost_front_cover_-_PROMO_at_777.jpg
    497 x 777 - 99K
  • McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,005
    edited December 1969

Cool render! Thanks for showing it!

edited December 1969

Cool render! Thanks for showing it!

Sure. I like to let you guys see what your lovely creations help me to do. :D

edited December 1969

M F M said:
    This is just waaay too much fun >_<. I hope you don't mind if I base the dimensions on the 72' wooden derrick courtesy Jarecki Manufacturing Co. (about half way down the page):</p>

http://www.mylargescale.com/Community/Forums/tabid/56/aft/115921/Default.aspx

It even comes with dimensions! :D

A bunch of imagery and info others may find useful - I'll dump them here so I can find them later:

This is looking awesome!

And thanks for the links. That's partly why I started this one thread, so I could find my custom created models, links, and modelers in one spot :D

I can't wait to start playing with this stuff!

• M F MM F M Posts: 1,388
    edited July 2012

By the way Aidana... did you want to have all these pieces set up in a fixed layout (like your sketch from a few pages back), or would you prefer each piece as a separate prop (eg the derrick tower, the shed, the boiler, the walking beam and Samson post (the long seesaw bit that goes up and down ;-) ), the steam wheel connection, etc etc), which you then can place and move about. In both cases, you'll be able to add extra "bits" to the scene, of course - various cables in the tower and the drill head (which I imagine you could make from primitives, seeing the detail will be quite low in the final image), the trees and grass and ground plane, the extra ground clutter (coal, wheelbarrows, hand tools, barrels etc), the characters themselves, and so on.

(for me, at my current level of knowledge, the quickest is probably going to be saving each major component as a separate prop, and then let you put them together however you like... (^/\^)).

Post edited by M F M on
    edited December 1969

M F M said:
    By the way Aidana... did you want to have all these pieces set up in a fixed layout (like your sketch from a few pages back), or would you prefer each piece as a separate prop (eg the derrick tower, the shed, the boiler, the walking beam and Samson post (the long seesaw bit that goes up and down ;-) ), the steam wheel connection, etc etc), which you then can place and move about. In both cases, you'll be able to add extra "bits" to the scene, of course - various cables in the tower and the drill head (which I imagine you could make from primitives, seeing the detail will be quite low in the final image), the trees and grass and ground plane, the extra ground clutter (coal, wheelbarrows, hand tools, barrels etc), the characters themselves, and so on.

(for me, at my current level of knowledge, the quickest is probably going to be saving each major component as a separate prop, and then let you put them together however you like... (^/\^)).

I'm so glad you mentioned making them separate props would be simpler ... lol. I prefer it that way myself. I find it makes is more versatile when I can use bits and pieces rather than a whole.

:D

• edited December 1969

MFM i see 1 slight issue with your model
    you have the pump jack like its part of the drillers derrik

the derrik was used to support the drilling stems until the hole hit gusher then the casing was sealed so that the pump jack could replace the derrik

heres a better reference of 1 of the original spindle top derriks it has the pipeline attached on an electrical pump now but it is a derrik with the pressure tank and pump shed in place
    hope it helps

derrik.jpg
    500 x 378 - 36K
  • edited December 1969

its not a matter of wrong era just the wrong area in parts of the country thay used dry derriks and some regions used a wet derric
    wet derrics needed a water well to help the drill bore through the rock which is why the derric had a pump station

also aidana just because someone makes a model to your specs it is still 100% thier property and i know you are not saying it isnt

ive grown up around derriks so i know the eras and regions that they were built in and being that for 4 generations we have worked the rigs im used to having them as neighbors

any questions please ask till then i will be reworking my model d concert grand piano for poser and studio to be fully rigged

edited December 1969

also aidana just because someone makes a model to your specs it is still 100% thier property and i know you are not saying it isnt

Of course it is. But a few people in another thread were arguing that fact with me, that they thought if I commissioned something or requested something custom made, that for some crazy reason, I owned it. I first had to recite copyright law, then I edited my opening statement to this thread to make it clear that the modelers of ANYTHING created for me own what they create, whether I paid for it or not.

I rarely sell full rights to my work, and when I do, I charge dearly. I don't feel other artists should compromise their hard work easily, either.

edited December 1969

Thought you guys might like to see the pouch DaremoK3 made I needed for a book cover :D

If ya'll want to see a larger version: http://willowravenillustration.weebly.com/battle---qdoor-hold.html

Thanks, DaremoK3 :D

The_Battle_for_QDoor_Hold_by_GM_McRae_at_777.jpg
    518 x 777 - 80K
  • DaremoK3DaremoK3 Posts: 798
    edited December 1969

You're welcome. Glad it worked for you.

Cover looks good. Poor kitty-kitty...

edited December 1969

DaremoK3 said:
    You're welcome. Glad it worked for you.

Cover looks good. Poor kitty-kitty...

Thanks. Those cats are fierce warriors. Notice, the cat has more human blood in his mouth than the wizard has cat blood on him ... lol.

But now that I have it, it will work great for another book cover I am doing ... Journey of the Cheyenne Warrior.

edited December 1969

Anyone have time to create a lute? I know a version of one is available with the Songstress product, but I'd like a fancier one. Any takes?

• edited December 1969

do you have any "must look likes"?
    like what woods, inlays, head stock, tuners, bridge
    and do you have an image of what you would prefer

i have the prints for a few different lutes and even 1 i had started on a while back but shelved because i didnt think there would be interest

• edited December 1969

do you have any prefernces on style, materials
    do you have an image in mind

edited July 2012

No specific style. I would like something a touch historic with a touch fancy/fantasy. Most of the ones I've see are really ouds, rather than lutes. Also, according to Renaissance paintings, they are rather large, but the models I've seen are small-ish.

This one is for an illustration in Scape magazine. Not a commission. One of my few 'for the heck of it' pieces. And since the text only mentions a lute, I (or rather you) can take artistic license :D

Just something pretty :D

Oh, I like the bent arm versions, and the long arm versions.

Post edited by WillowRaven on
  • edited December 1969

i havent added real materials or even mapped it yet but heres what i have for right now

lute.jpg
    332 x 489 - 16K
    edited July 2012

Looking goo, so far.

Most of the images I see in old paintings make the 'bowl' look bigger and the arm is usually at an almost 90% angle. Would that be hard to duplicate? Here's the link I used: http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Medieval+Lute&FORM=RESTAB

Post edited by WillowRaven on
  • edited December 1969

ok by bowl look bigger do you mean deeper or just larger
    and the "arm" is actualy called the headstock and for that to make the 82.5 degree angle it would have to simplified which is not an issue and actauly makes it easier
    also do you have a prefered # of strings since lute can be between 6 and 12 strings also do you want frets

edited December 1969

ok by bowl look bigger do you mean deeper or just larger

Both :D

and the "arm" is actualy called the headstock and for that to make the 82.5 degree angle it would have to simplified which is not an issue and actauly makes it easier

Great :D

also do you have a prefered # of strings since lute can be between 6 and 12 strings also do you want frets

I'm thinking 7 ... the number of perfection :D And yes, I like the look of the frets :D

• edited December 1969

still a few more details left but heres the latest

lute2.jpg
    800 x 600 - 16K
    lute1.jpg
    800 x 600 - 14K
    lute.jpg
    800 x 600 - 15K
    edited December 1969

still a few more details left but heres the latest

The headstock looks great, now :D Can the bowl be a bit deeper?

• edited December 1969

and no i havent forgotten about this one but i have an issue when i make it deeper
    maybe its just me but it doesnt look right and the mesh looks too overstretched
    ill keep working on it

also i did find a lute at sharecg for free
    you might look at that as well

edited December 1969

and no i havent forgotten about this one but i have an issue when i make it deeper
    maybe its just me but it doesnt look right and the mesh looks too overstretched
    ill keep working on it

also i did find a lute at sharecg for free
    you might look at that as well

Well. if you can't, you can't :D It's for a freebie piece, anyway, so no one to please but me :D

I saw the one on SCG, but it's in a format I can't use.

• edited December 1969

let me know if this looks better

lute3.jpg
    800 x 600 - 15K