Look at my Hair (LAMH) Official Thread: update 1.6.0.2 released

Comments

• That explains a lot.  I was trying to paint the torso, and it wasn't working.  The face did work, though.

• JimbowJimbow Posts: 557
    edited March 2017

The usual way to get around UDIM uv issues for anything is to change your G3 figure mesh resolution to Base, export G3F/M as an obj with 'Collapse UVs' ticked on. Then load the UVs from the exported obj onto your G3 figure, and change the UVs in the surface options to your new collapsed UV set. You should have no more problems painting across UVs.

Post edited by Jimbow on
  • If I can wrap my mind around how to do that, I will certainly have to give it a try.

• JimbowJimbow Posts: 557

Instructions here, plus a way of keeping the UVs as part of your figure's default set of UV choices:

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/1953261/#Comment_1953261

• Now I definitely have to try it!  Thanks in advance for the tip!

• Hello, I have been having some trouble getting this up and going. I had read the bit about tending to the Free version before installing the paid version yet went ahead and installed the free and then forgot about what I had read. After getting the paid version I recalled it and purged what I thought was everything and still don't seem to have access to the paid version. I am using DAZ3D 4.9 on a 64 bit machine. I had seen a post mentioning an in program button to access the LAMH function.

Is this button something I should see in 4.9? 

Does the current version of LAMH play nice with 4.9?

Also, I have yet to read through all the 60+ pages of this thread. Much of my hesitation is the older threads referring to older versions of DAZ. I imagine much of my issue has been addressed up to this point. If it's easier for you to point to those posts, please do. Lookiong forward to using this application. It looks great.

Cheers.

• Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    Eldormain said:

Hello, I have been having some trouble getting this up and going. I had read the bit about tending to the Free version before installing the paid version yet went ahead and installed the free and then forgot about what I had read. After getting the paid version I recalled it and purged what I thought was everything and still don't seem to have access to the paid version. I am using DAZ3D 4.9 on a 64 bit machine. I had seen a post mentioning an in program button to access the LAMH function.

Is this button something I should see in 4.9? 

Does the current version of LAMH play nice with 4.9?

Also, I have yet to read through all the 60+ pages of this thread. Much of my hesitation is the older threads referring to older versions of DAZ. I imagine much of my issue has been addressed up to this point. If it's easier for you to point to those posts, please do. Lookiong forward to using this application. It looks great.

Cheers.

LAMH plays within 4.9 fairly well.  From what you've written, I think you would be well served to use the DIM to uninstall both LAMH versions and then reinstall only the full version.  Upon first use LAMH will present the activation dialog.  Once you follow those steps you should be good.

Kendall

• Thanks Kendall. I had done that then went into the program itself and removed all references, that I could find, to LAMH. Then reinstalled using DIM. I will mess around a little more and see if I can get the functionality because I haven't seen the activation dialog yet. After I do I will repost results here.

Cheers.

• ADAD Posts: 396
    edited March 2017

Hi,

I have also some problems with LAMH. I can't start DAZ Studio 4.9.3.166 without an configuration file error.

After de-installing LAMH I can open DAZ Studio. If I try to re-install LAMH over DIM (but it seams, I ddn't get the newest version of LAMH over DIM???) the same error comes again by starting DAZ Studio. I have the full version of LAMH and if I try to re-install LAMH over DIM there comes no activation dialog for me?

I hope somebody can help me?

Greetings AD

01.jpg
    648 x 486 - 367K
    LAMH_Error_Starting_DS_4_9.jpg
    1482 x 969 - 296K
    Post edited by AD on
  • Alessandro MastronardiAlessandro Mastronardi Posts: 2,593
    edited March 2017

Hi AD, just answered to your email...

AD said:

Hi,

I have also some problems with LAMH. I can't start DAZ Studio 4.9.3.166 without an configuration file error.

After de-installing LAMH I can open DAZ Studio. If I try to re-install LAMH over DIM (but it seams, I ddn't get the newest version of LAMH over DIM???) the same error comes again by starting DAZ Studio. I have the full version of LAMH and if I try to re-install LAMH over DIM there comes no activation dialog for me?

I hope somebody can help me?

Greetings AD

Post edited by Alessandro Mastronardi on
  • ADAD Posts: 396
    edited March 2017

Hi Alessandro,

thank you. I answered to you.

Greetings AD

EDIT: After system recovery all works perfect again. Thank you for help.

Post edited by AD on
  • What's the difference in the Fiberhair and exporting to obj?  Everytime I export to obj it does fine until it tries to import then it gets stuck at 99% and ds crashes and gives me a bug report. I've put in a ticket on that already. But I was just wondering about the Fiberhair and how to go about doing it, if it is an easier method.

Thanks for any advice in advance :)

edited March 2017

What's the difference in the Fiberhair and exporting to obj?  Everytime I export to obj it does fine until it tries to import then it gets stuck at 99% and ds crashes and gives me a bug report. I've put in a ticket on that already. But I was just wondering about the Fiberhair and how to go about doing it, if it is an easier method.

FiberHair is a compressed geometry designed by AM and myself that lowers the size of the hair geometry by 40% or more over the same hairs output to straight OBJ geometry.  Using the straight OBJ can lead to DS running out of memory on machines with minimal specs.  I suspect that may be what is causing your crash.  Our FIberHair export also removes the "Import" step from the precedures since you can have the FiberHair sent straight to the DS ViewPort.

EDIT:  I am in the testing stages of an enhanced LAMH FiberHair that can lower the resource usage even more when using LAMH FiberHair.

Kendall

Post edited by Kendall Sears on
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,926

Oh bibre hair is LAMH only? :-( I was hoping it was something from the nVidia HairWorkX format that was portable outside of DAZ.

Oh bibre hair is LAMH only? :-( I was hoping it was something from the nVidia HairWorkX format that was portable outside of DAZ.

No.  FiberHair is written as geometry that can be pulled into *any* software, nVidia based or not.  In upcoming revisions, the FiberHair will "grow" new abilities (like my pun?).  I do not want to tie what is being done to only one environment.

Kendall

No.  FiberHair is written as geometry that can be pulled into *any* software, nVidia based or not.  In upcoming revisions, the FiberHair will "grow" new abilities (like my pun?).  I do not want to tie what is being done to only one environment.

Kendall

Cool. Thanks for clarifying. I'll try that soon. 

Kendall

Sorry, one other question. Will fibre hair revision 1 be upgradable to growable firbre hair revision 2? Thanks.

Kendall

Sorry, one other question. Will fibre hair revision 1 be upgradable to growable firbre hair revision 2? Thanks.

The plan is to keep everything compatible moving forward.  That is part of the delay in getting the new features out.

Kendall

• Alessandro MastronardiAlessandro Mastronardi Posts: 2,593
    edited March 2017

What's the difference in the Fiberhair and exporting to obj?  Everytime I export to obj it does fine until it tries to import then it gets stuck at 99% and ds crashes and gives me a bug report. I've put in a ticket on that already. But I was just wondering about the Fiberhair and how to go about doing it, if it is an easier method.

Since the squirrels are almost ready for release, I've made yet another tutorial about rendering LAMH-based characters with Iray. I hope it can be helpful: please take a look also at the interface settings that I suggest in the video, and also switching the drawing mode to bounding boxes in order to keep the user interface responsive.

Post edited by Alessandro Mastronardi on
  • enchantedwolfeenchantedwolfe Posts: 34
    edited March 2017

Well got the wolf working using fiberhair....now to tackle that darn tiger...LOL  

This is just a quick 30min render, but not bad I'd say for the first time using LAMH :)

Sorry about the hover effect, I forgot to put'em on the ground good...LOL

Post edited by Chohole on
  • Looking forward to a new and improved fiberhair!  Can't wait, but I guess I have to...

Hey, I am trying to make a simple Kansan ground....that is very flat and treeless so I make a 3000x3000 sqm DAZ primitive plane. Now I want to add short grass via LAMH. Will LAMH do that?

Very frustratingly simple tiling a moss preset iRay metarial prerset at 1500x1500 makes DAZ Studio crawl. I have 16GB RAM. Opps, I should of did 5x5 or 3x3 I think.

• Hey, I am trying to make a simple Kansan ground....that is very flat and treeless so I make a 3000x3000 sqm DAZ primitive plane. Now I want to add short grass via LAMH. Will LAMH do that?

Very frustratingly simple tiling a moss preset iRay metarial prerset at 1500x1500 makes DAZ Studio crawl. I have 16GB RAM. Opps, I should of did 5x5 or 3x3 I think.

3000m x 3000m seems really a huge amount of terrain to cover with grass. I'd suggest to do a small area near the camera (assuming you aren't going to make a fly-by view), and cover say a 50m x 50m plane with grass. And maybe put a grass-like material on the terrain far away. I've used LAMH to produce grass several times and it's quite easy and produce nice results, let me know if you need help with it. Cheers!

Thanks, I already reduced to 500 sqm but will shrink farther thanks.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,886

Tip from doing similar stuff with ultrascatter:

Set up the basic scene, camera and terrain.

Select terrain, go into geometry editor, right click in the scene and select selection mode: marquee and drag across the camera view.

In tool window, right click on surfaces and Create surface from selection.

You've now created a surface in your terrain of what is in view of the camera. You can copy the terrain's shader on that surface.

Now, in LAMH, you can add only the facets that are in that surface, so you don't waste memory on stuff that won't be seen.

(you might want to copy the camera and pull it back a little to make sure the edges are fully covered)

edited April 2017

Tip from doing similar stuff with ultrascatter:

Set up the basic scene, camera and terrain.

Select terrain, go into geometry editor, right click in the scene and select selection mode: marquee and drag across the camera view.

In tool window, right click on surfaces and Create surface from selection.

You've now created a surface in your terrain of what is in view of the camera. You can copy the terrain's shader on that surface.

Now, in LAMH, you can add only the facets that are in that surface, so you don't waste memory on stuff that won't be seen.

(you might want to copy the camera and pull it back a little to make sure the edges are fully covered)

Thanks.

I have also learned to sink the horizon in Sun & Sky to keep from having to create a flat terrain that goes on to the vanishing point.

My terrain though is a 100mx100m DAZ Primitive Plane so I...

a) Alt-C / New Primitive... / 100m x 100m (DAZ Studio handles easily)

a) Convert surface 'Default' using the IRay Uber Base 

b) Open Geometry Editor and with RMB 'Select All' for the Primitive Plane I have renamed ground

c) RMB Geometry Assignment 'Assign to Face Group' Default

d) RMB Geometry Assignment 'Assign to Surface' Default

e) LMB Show LAMH Editor

f) However, I don't see the Plane Primitive and clicking + for a new hair group in the LAMH editor does nothing.

Maybe I need to create a 100m x 100m x 0.01m cube instead for LAMH to work? Then I will have unpleasant task of only picking the top of the cube for grass and creating a bottom surface and a side surface I don't practically need.

Maybe I should just make a terrain in Unity & Gaia & export to DAZ but I thought that a plane primitive made most sense to do easily in the scene I'm trying to make.  

Post edited by nonesuch00 on

I got it sorted, thanks.

• hello,

i have "real big fur for big cat" and free player ,so, big cat stay white even i apply "iray uber base ".

thank for your help!

• sorry i forget a picture !

hello,

i have "real big fur for big cat" and free player ,so, big cat stay white even i apply "iray uber base ".

thank for your help!

Capturerender1.JPG
    1577 x 852 - 163K
  • When applying the "iray uber base" shader, you must have the LAMH groups selected in your scene tab (which you do), and then you must also select the surfaces of those objects in the Surfaces tab to apply the shader.  The shaders must be applied with the Surfaces tab open, and they are only applied to surfaces which are currently selected.  It is also important to apply whatever texture you wish to use for the big cat (lion, tiger, cheetah, etc.) before you attach the LAMH preset.  If you don't, the texture map of the cat, which regulates the hair color, will not be applied to the hair generated by the LAMH export.  The way to check whether you have colored fur or not is to open the surfaces tab, select one of the LAMH fur groups, and look at the "diffuse color" slot.  If there is an image map there, you do.  If you don't have an image map, or if it is a solid color, then your exported fur is useless, and you just have to delete it.  The texture map loaded into the diffuse color slot will not look like a normal texture map, but will look speckled or striped.  There is an example below of the a texture file generated by LAMH. 

If you need to add the textures, first texture your big cat, then apply the LAMH preset.  Make sure that the "use map" option is selected in the LAMH panel, and then export to OBJ.  Apply "iray uber base" shader to generated textures as before.  Best of luck.

European Red Squirrel LAMH Group_0_TMap_0.jpg
    2048 x 2048 - 4M