Look at my Hair (LAMH) Official Thread: update 1.6.0.2 released

Comments

• CypherFOXCypherFOX Posts: 3,401
    edited December 1969

Greetings,

Spoke too soon... Why do I encounter a fatal error every time I use it? Access violation in the report?! What the?

What is this?!

It's agonizingly buggy. If you have the DIM installed version, you may need to get the beta from their site.

But yes, expect lots of crashes and things not quite working. When it works, it's very, very nice, but it's not terribly well tested. I avoid using it most of the time, as I've lost hours to it, but I've also come out with nice images in-between.

It's a difficult balance.

-- Morgan

• starwarsorivusstarwarsorivus Posts: 25
    edited December 1969

Well now... I did send an error report. We will see how this goes.

Cypherfox said:
    Greetings

It's agonizingly buggy. If you have the DIM installed version, you may need to get the beta from their site.
    Their site as in LAMH? Guess I should head over there when I get a chance.

But yes, expect lots of crashes and things not quite working. When it works, it's very, very nice, but it's not terribly well tested. I avoid using it most of the time, as I've lost hours to it, but I've also come out with nice images in-between.

It's a difficult balance.

-- Morgan

Hah! Like so many other things. Thanks.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,888
    edited February 2015

Hi, all...

Ok, so I'm trying to make a Genesis 2 cat person. I put hair all over him, then saved the project, exported as Renderman, it rendered nicely.

The next time I opened the project, all the settings in the preview went back to default and I got a message saying:
    The resolutions don't match.
    The Preset is for a High Resolution Figure.
    Please change the resolution then try again.

... But... it's the same figure I started with. What the heck? Trying to apply the project as a preset didn't work, either.

What gives?

Edit: Aaaand now it's mysteriously working. Nm!

Post edited by Oso3D on
  • Alessandro MastronardiAlessandro Mastronardi Posts: 2,593
    edited December 1969

Hi, all...

Ok, so I'm trying to make a Genesis 2 cat person. I put hair all over him, then saved the project, exported as Renderman, it rendered nicely.

The next time I opened the project, all the settings in the preview went back to default and I got a message saying:
    The resolutions don't match.
    The Preset is for a High Resolution Figure.
    Please change the resolution then try again.

... But... it's the same figure I started with. What the heck? Trying to apply the project as a preset didn't work, either.

What gives?

Edit: Aaaand now it's mysteriously working. Nm!

I think the issue you ran is that you probably designed the preset with the G2 in high resolution mode, and later on you tried to load and apply it to G2 in base resolution. So to solve it, you need to first switch to high resolution and then load the preset. Cheers.

edited December 1969

Aaaah. I've only been using DAZ for 2 months, and... I was completely unaware that there was a resolution setting!

DOH.

Ok, thank you very much.

edited December 1969

Aaaah. I've only been using DAZ for 2 months, and... I was completely unaware that there was a resolution setting!

DOH.

Ok, thank you very much.

You're welcome. Unfortunately not all of these quirks and hints are documented, so if you are stuck please ask. You can address me directly also at '[email protected]'

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

It can get a bit tricky — the base Genesis and Genesis 2 Male load at High resolution, but Genesis 2 Female loads at Base resolution. Characters made from the base figures load at whatever resolution they were saved at, which might or might not be the setting of the base figure. It's just one more thing to add to the list of settings to check whenever Weird Stuff™ happens.
  • LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,173
    edited December 1969

At what point does "weird stuff" get so numerous that it becomes "normal behavior". And what one would expect as "normal behavior" becomes "OMG what did it just do?"

edited December 1969

More weirdness. I have a picture that's rendering pretty well, except I get these ... blocks, squares of lighter 'fur' amidst regular fur. Most of the fur looks great, but just... weird ... artifact-looking things.

I've checked the underlying texture (which looks fine), the 'lay' of the guide hairs, which also looks fine, and different shaders have the exact same artifact, just different colors.

Picture here:
    https://scontent-sea.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/t31.0-8/10974516_10204757745957450_3045207131360907514_o.jpg

• Cris PalominoCris Palomino Posts: 11,151
    edited December 1969

It can get a bit tricky — the base Genesis and Genesis 2 Male load at High resolution, but Genesis 2 Female loads at Base resolution. Characters made from the base figures load at whatever resolution they were saved at, which might or might not be the setting of the base figure. It's just one more thing to add to the list of settings to check whenever Weird Stuff™ happens.

My G2F base always loads at high resolution.

edited December 1969

WOW.

I just tweaked a few numbers, and... wow, this makes very pretty grass!

• StripesWaterkatStripesWaterkat Posts: 20
    edited December 1969

I'm getting that resolution error alot also. Where is the setting to adjust the resolution so my preset will work? Thanks.

edited December 1969

Under Parameters, it's 'mesh resolution' category.

edited December 1969

Thanks, I ended up finding, except now, if I try to change it once the lamh editor is, cause it switches it back to base when you bring the editor up, it crashes every time.

edited December 1969

I was wondering if you guys could take a look at this. This is the character I'm trying to add the fur to. I've only been working with this for a few days and not sure what I'm missing. The preview in the lamh editor look perfect, the fur length, the coverage, just the way I want, but it won't show up on this guy. The only thing the fur appears to be doing is putting a darker speckled texture or if you look at the fingers, he looks like he has fur outline. I have the materials set to human hair shader, I tried the advanced shader also, no difference. I have the shave sections broken down to head, torso, legs and fur front, so I can export at 400000 each. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

fur_test.jpg
    1918 x 806 - 606K
    fur_test_org.jpg
    1920 x 796 - 486K
  • Testing6790Testing6790 Posts: 1,091
    edited December 1969

Whenever I try to use the free player I can't even get a lmh file to load at all.

edited December 1969

I was wondering if you guys could take a look at this. This is the character I'm trying to add the fur to. I've only been working with this for a few days and not sure what I'm missing. The preview in the lamh editor look perfect, the fur length, the coverage, just the way I want, but it won't show up on this guy. The only thing the fur appears to be doing is putting a darker speckled texture or if you look at the fingers, he looks like he has fur outline. I have the materials set to human hair shader, I tried the advanced shader also, no difference. I have the shave sections broken down to head, torso, legs and fur front, so I can export at 400000 each. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

Difficult to tell what is wrong from these screenshots only. I suppose you are trying to fur the whole body? Can you post or email me a screenshot showing the LAMH guides viewport? Are you using density maps? What character is that? Is the preset made at base or high resolution?

edited December 1969

Whenever I try to use the free player I can't even get a lmh file to load at all.

What model/preset are you trying to load? What error do you get?

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,253
    edited December 1969

I suppose there is no way to increase the density of fur coverage when using the player and presets?

It works and doesn't crash on me, but the fur looks like it is only the guide hairs. No fill hairs. I was having this same problem with the full plugin a number of months ago with DS4.6 and we never seemed to be able to get that sorted out. It's not as bad now, but the outline of the animal model is still a lot more evident than I'd prefer.

Have you managed to stomp the bug with the full plugin on a Mac in 4.7?

edited December 1969

JOdel said:
    I suppose there is no way to increase the density of fur coverage when using the player and presets?

It works and doesn't crash on me, but the fur looks like it is only the guide hairs. No fill hairs. I was having this same problem with the full plugin a number of months ago with DS4.6 and we never seemed to be able to get that sorted out. It's not as bad now, but the outline of the animal model is still a lot more evident than I'd prefer.

Have you managed to stomp the bug with the full plugin on a Mac in 4.7?

Hello, you could increase the hair quantity, so that it will produce a more dense output.
    I do have a Mac updated version of both full and player for Mac, but I could test it only on my system. Before submitting it as an update, I'd like some OSX users to step in and try it, just to make sure the issue is gone for good.

• MBuschMBusch Posts: 547
    edited December 1969

Hello, you could increase the hair quantity, so that it will produce a more dense output.
    I do have a Mac updated version of both full and player for Mac, but I could test it only on my system. Before submitting it as an update, I'd like some OSX users to step in and try it, just to make sure the issue is gone for good.

Where is it?

edited December 1969

For the OSX folks interested to try latest library, contact me at '[email protected]'. Thanks

edited December 1969

How does one increase the hair density with the player/preset?

edited December 1969

JOdel said:
    How does one increase the hair density with the player/preset?

From the LAMH Pane, see attached image. Try also to increase hair width to get thicker fur.

LAMHHQ.jpg
    576 x 654 - 78K
    edited December 1969

I think I did figure out what was happening, still testing. I was able to compare the preset for the Big Cat and saw the thickness of the root and tip was much higher then what was recommended. The preset had the root at 800 and the tip at 600 and now it looks more like fur. The character is one of my own created with Daz, but that seems to be what was causing the coverage issue, the thickness of the root and tip was way to low at 130 and 80.

Thanks.

edited December 1969

Thanks, got it. Will experiment with settings to get a better coverage.

edited February 2015

I think I did figure out what was happening, still testing. I was able to compare the preset for the Big Cat and saw the thickness of the root and tip was much higher then what was recommended. The preset had the root at 800 and the tip at 600 and now it looks more like fur. The character is one of my own created with Daz, but that seems to be what was causing the coverage issue, the thickness of the root and tip was way to low at 130 and 80.

Thanks.

to clarify, root/tip widths in LAMH are expressed in microns, and 130 is the average human hair width. The tip is set to 80 in order to give a better end shape effect. For animals, it is indeed a good idea to increase that size by 5 or 6, or even more if you plan to use less hair count. For the Big Cats 2, for example, a hair count of 4million hair and root/tip widths set at 500/350 would be optimal.

Post edited by Alessandro Mastronardi on
  • alexhcowleyalexhcowley Posts: 2,310
    edited December 1969

Alessandro,

Have you seen wendy♥catz's Red Pandas are awesome thread? It's in the Commons.

Cheers,

Alex.

edited December 1969

Yeah, from my testing, it looks like 1 million is about the minimum you want with full body coverage, if you want it to look like a solid mass of fur, and possibly more if you can swing it.

I've also found that if you want to move and pose a figure somewhere else, you're better off saving the project, deleting the fur, doing the posing, and then re-applying the new preset. (Otherwise it tends to crash hard)

edited December 1969

Alessandro,

Have you seen wendy♥catz's Red Pandas are awesome thread? It's in the Commons.

Cheers,

Alex.

Hello Alex, just seen Wendy's experiments, she did really a good job. I'll see if I can make a red panda too one of these days. Cheers.