Look at my Hair (LAMH) Official Thread: update 1.6.0.2 released

Comments

• Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited December 1969

I'm having a bit of a problem... I had been using LAMH already without problems (other than myself *g*), but now it constantly asks me for the installation and activation code... once I put them in and click activate, it tells me that it has been saved and that I should start LAMH again. When I do that, I'm again asked to enter the codes. even with starting ds anew it stays the same. I've reset and downloaded LAMH and installed it again, but the problem stays...

Unfortunately there's nothing showing up in the logfile either...

Is there anything I can do to fix this?

Has anything changed on your machine?

Please send the logFile.txt to krsears (at) trdc.biz. Even if it is only 1 or 2 lines.

Kendall

• BlazeMystEraBlazeMystEra Posts: 464
    edited December 1969

Not really any change, no... besides some Browserupdates and a Java Update...
    I'll send you the log :)
    Thanks for taking the time to help me.

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,142
    edited December 1969

Any word on the 1.1 update?? Thanks! :-)

• Alessandro MastronardiAlessandro Mastronardi Posts: 2,593
    edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:
    Any word on the 1.1 update?? Thanks! :-)

Hi Richard, we are not done yet but we'll release some news soon. I'm forced to keep my mouth shut or Kendall will kill me... :)

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,142
    edited December 1969

Well we can't have that now can we! :ahhh:

• cridgitcridgit Posts: 1,757
    edited May 2022

Redacted

Post edited by cridgit on
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

cridgit said:
    Hi AM

Does LAMH work with Reality / Lux? The product page and readme doesn't say so.

You'll need to export as .obj for use in another render engine.

• UrumikeUrumike Posts: 16
    edited December 1969

This plugin looks very tempting to me, it could finally be the reason to switch to Studio 4 but...

I use Octane now as render engine which runs on the GPU, and my GPUs have only 2 gigs of memory.
    So I'm not sure they could handle the OBJ's polywise.

Is there a way I could test this without buying the plugin?

Maybe Alessandro could provide me a sample obj of a shoulder long hair suitable for a V4?

Or maybe anyone here using both LAMH and Octane could tell me about their experience?

Thanks in advance!

• agent unawaresagent unawares Posts: 3,513
    edited December 1969

Does anyone have some tips on good rendering settings for this? I'm using the DS4 defaults and right now a lot of sections of hair tend to turn out like fluffy marshmallow fuzz with little definition instead of having strands and highlights.

• DisparateDreamerDisparateDreamer Posts: 2,487
    edited December 1969

Does anyone have some tips on good rendering settings for this? I'm using the DS4 defaults and right now a lot of sections of hair tend to turn out like fluffy marshmallow fuzz with little definition instead of having strands and highlights.

A lot of it is just testing hair size and count.... if i go overboard and make too MUCH hair, it looses detail. not enough hair, or too thin, it looses detail.

And lighting is very important to give it detail- without light and shadow, UE lights especially, to show off the hair...

I like using shaders on the hair. I made a few custom hair presets just for my use in LAMH.

here's a hair prop I made recently. the headscarf is a freebie from PhilC... made for Sydney but easily refitted to V4. The hair i made as a simple obj which I converted to prop. I parent it to the scarf.

If anyone wants the hair I'm happy to share it.... its just a simple ring of hair for the bottom of the scarf tho, so that's all its really good for.

Jacket and tanktop are from Poserworld, the pants are Jeanz for v4, jacket and jeans both using shaders from Fabricator and Machpack. hammer is a freebie by Adam thwaites. lights are a mix of the light for young teen Andrea and the Life to Light Gels. Character skin is Lorelei, mat settings modified a bit, and Cherry eyes.

And of course, LAMH for the hair :D

StrongBeautyM3.jpg
    1100 x 1100 - 515K
    edited February 2013

Urumike said:
    This plugin looks very tempting to me, it could finally be the reason to switch to Studio 4 but...

I use Octane now as render engine which runs on the GPU, and my GPUs have only 2 gigs of memory.

Maybe Alessandro could provide me a sample obj of a shoulder long hair suitable for a V4?

Or maybe anyone here using both LAMH and Octane could tell me about their experience?

Thanks in advance!

Hi and apologies anybody for not showing up any earlier. I do not get any notification about new posts and I always forget to come back and check. Please let me upload a furry OBJ on my server and I'll send you the link where to download it.
    I tried to render the exported grizzly fur on Octane (BTW, 64bit system) a few days ago, file size about 500MB and it worked without flaws on my Geforce 630 2GB VRAM.

Post edited by Alessandro Mastronardi on
    edited December 1969

cridgit said:
    Hi AM

Does LAMH work with Reality / Lux? The product page and readme doesn't say so.

Absolutely yes, if you take a look at www.furrythings.com posts, there are quite renders done in external engines such as Lux, Vue etc.

edited December 1969

Please post a screenshot, or if you like you may even email me the .lmh file, so that I can take a look (info_at_alessandromastronardi.com)

edited December 1969

Urumike said:

Thanks in advance!

Hi, here are some quick renders done in Octane, Lux and Vue using the Grizzly Fur preset, exported as a 500,000 hair, 360MB size OBJ.
    For a 64bit system, that's not an issue at all. If you guys like to try, here is the link to the OBJ file (it's the merged Grizzly body + fur), so that you can try...

http://www.furrythings.com/testing/AMURS_Ursus_arctos_test.OBJ.zip

vue.jpg
    1920 x 1125 - 555K
    LuxReality.jpg
    1920 x 1131 - 343K
    OctaneRender.jpg
    1920 x 1137 - 390K
  • 3d-username3d-username Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I'm interested in your product and looked around your site and wanted one question ansered, what are the limitions on the exported .obj mesh?
    I'm not looking to sell hair but need to distribute the mesh, I have been doing hair in Blender because of all rights on the hair obj but your program seems easier for character hair

thanks in advance

edited December 1969

Urumike said:

Thanks in advance!

Hi, here are some quick renders done in Octane, Lux and Vue using the Grizzly Fur preset, exported as a 500,000 hair, 360MB size OBJ.
    For a 64bit system, that's not an issue at all. If you guys like to try, here is the link to the OBJ file (it's the merged Grizzly body + fur), so that you can try...

Hi Alessandro
    Thanks a lot, no worries about the time it took, I'm currently not at home anyways, will be home Wednesday.
    But downloading right now so I can give it a try when back home.

One question though, this has 500'000 hair. What is the average hair count used by others who eport to obj, say for Lux?
    Second question, I sometimes have multiple figures in a scene, is there a limitation? Not sure but I remember having read something a long time ago...

Thanks for your help all!

edited December 1969

I'm interested in your product and looked around your site and wanted one question ansered, what are the limitions on the exported .obj mesh?
    I'm not looking to sell hair but need to distribute the mesh, I have been doing hair in Blender because of all rights on the hair obj but your program seems easier for character hair

thanks in advance

Hi, there are no limitations with the use you will do of such obj produced with Look at my Hair.

edited February 2013

Urumike said:
    Urumike said:

Thanks in advance!

Hi Alessandro
    Thanks a lot, no worries about the time it took, I'm currently not at home anyways, will be home Wednesday.
    But downloading right now so I can give it a try when back home.

One question though, this has 500'000 hair. What is the average hair count used by others who eport to obj, say for Lux?
    Second question, I sometimes have multiple figures in a scene, is there a limitation? Not sure but I remember having read something a long time ago...

Thanks for your help all!

If you need to test a human, I can provide you a hair OBJ designed for Genesis, eventually.

About the hair count used when exporting OBJ's, that depends on a number of things. Given that a human head has about 120000 hairs, so that shouldn't pose much of an issue regarding PC resources, exporting an animal fur leads to some considerations.

If the animal fur is quite short, then you can decrease the hair complexity upon export (directly in the export dialog) through the complexity slider. For longer fur, say a Lion Mane, you'll want instead to raise the hair complexity to the maximum, so that hairs will have a smoother curve.
    Needless to say, the higher the complexity, the larger the number of polygons and files size.

Even so, if you take a look at some renders posted at www.furrythings.com, users have been to use very huge OBJ's (up to 2million polygons and almost 1 GB of size, see the furred dinosaurs from Luca or Elle lioness to name a few) in Vue, Lux and KeyShot. I assume that also OctanRender should be capable of such. 64bit system mandatory of course.
    About having multiple figures available in a scene, always referring to OBJ export, well you can fur each of those independantly and export the OBJ for each of those.
    So I'd say it's totally possible...

edited December 1969

Alessandro, thanks a bunch!
    I will give your model a try as soon as I'm back home.

One thing I'm not sure if you're aware of:
    Octane render engine is limited by the VRAM. No matter how much RAM your comp has or wether its 32 or 64 bit os, if the VRam is full it's full. The meshes plus textures add up!
    As an example, I was working on a scene lately, 3 M4, 1 V4, all in a room with furniture. I had to resize the M / V's textures and optimize heavily the room and furniture textures to make them fit in the VRAM.
    Now add 4 LAMH hair obj's plus textures... probably won't work with that many characters, but there's ways around it...
    I just love the speed of GPU rendering, so far it's about factor 5 to 10 faster then Lux...

But nevertheless, I will give LAMH a try, will be useful for othere stuff.
    Now if just the UI of Studio 4 would be a bit easier to work with ;-) but that's another story...

Anyways, thanks again for your support, I will report back, probably also in the Octane forums, about sucess or lack thereof ;-)

• jthicksjthicks Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Urumike said:

Thanks in advance!

Hi Alessandro,
    I have been having some issues when I export the hair from LAMH as OBJ to use in Vue. When you do it, do you change the thickness of the hair when you export? When i export as obj, the hair strands look very thick. I'm trying to find the optimum way to get the best looking hair as an obj.
    Thanks

edited December 1969

Also, is there a way to get the root and tip color option when you export as OBJ? I only get the diffuse color.

edited December 1969

if my understanding is correct (and it may not be- I'm not really well versed in these things) I think the renderman curves are really just a flat line, not exactly geometry. but when you export it as object, every line has to become a real geometry so it gets bigger.

it's simple to fix.. in the hair setup too (the wheel next to the group selector) change root size, I find that 30 for closeups, 50-80 root thickness is good and tip 20. For large animals, like a mammoth or lion, i increase that to 150 and 50 or even up to 300! A lot depends on the animal size and the hair count. Experiment. For animals, i like to have a lower hair count with thicker hair. for people I like to have a higher hair count and thinner hair.

Are you using the default shader when you export? are you saying you want to see the root tip adn color option after export? I know that in DS surface tab, the LAMH object has surface settings for tip, root and specular so its changable. if you don't want a diffuse texture applied, when you are in the LAMH surface settings, go to the surfaces that have hair (such as skinhead, skin face, skin neck) and click the minus sign beside the texture. I only use the texture if i have fur, but for people hair I use shaders.

Hope that makes sense, i can clarify if needed.... I'm still on my first cup of coffee. >_<</p>

edited December 1969

Thanks for the width suggestions, that works alot better.

How do I say I want to see the root and tip color option after export? I can't find that option in LAMH.

edited December 1969

jthicks said:
    Thanks for the width suggestions, that works alot better.

How do I say I want to see the root and tip color option after export? I can't find that option in LAMH.

Hi jthicks, just as Alia suggested, the root and tip width upon exporting need to be resized down (about 1/3): that's a bug that has already been addressed in upcoming 1.1 update.

About the root and tip colors, those can't be adjusted after the OBJ export: you'd have to change the colors and re-export again so that the texture is recreated again.
    Or, if you prefer, you could also use Photoshop (or other image editing software) to edit the texture generated by LAMH and alter Hue, Saturation, Brightness etc.

edited December 1969

Hi. I have set the root and tip colors in the dialogue before exporting as OBJ, but when it appears in DAZ it is white, with no color information. What am i doing incorrect?

edited December 1969

jthicks said:
    Hi. I have set the root and tip colors in the dialogue before exporting as OBJ, but when it appears in DAZ it is white, with no color information. What am i doing incorrect?

was it the only instance of hair in the scene?

edited February 2013

jthicks said:

Hi jthicks, that is actually a bug: in 1.0, the exported OBJ will only gather hair colors from the underlying texture. Root/Tip colors will not be accounted at this time.
    Sorry about the issue, already fixed in upcoming 1.1 update.

[Edit]: being a OBJ mesh, if you are not using a texture to gather colors from, you may obviously assign a shader to it or change color properties in the renderer software.

edited December 1969

Yes, I only have the one hair group. Using it for practice. After I export into DAZ, I have a LAMH Group with one object in the group. That object is the one that I can review in the surfaces tab. And it appears as any other object in the surfaces tab, diffuse, ambient, etc. No option to see different colors for the root or tip.

edited December 1969

Thanks Alessandro. I'll wait for 1.1. I love the product, hair has always been a frustration for me with DAZ. I've always wanted to be able to style the hair as I needed it for the scene. I hated having a figure in a windy scene, and the hair appear as a helmet. Now, I can style the hair to be windblown, or anything else. Thanks for the hard work on LAMH!

edited December 1969

jthicks said:
    Thanks Alessandro. I'll wait for 1.1. I love the product, hair has always been a frustration for me with DAZ. I've always wanted to be able to style the hair as I needed it for the scene. I hated having a figure in a windy scene, and the hair appear as a helmet. Now, I can style the hair to be windblown, or anything else. Thanks for the hard work on LAMH!

Thanks for the understanding and kindness, jthicks. We've been (and are) really working hard on LAMH and we are aware that there are some annoyances, limitations and issues. Believe that all the ones collected so far have been already addressed and fixed in current development, and some new cool features (that can't be disclosed yet) will be added as well in 1.1.