Post Your Renders like it's the year 2020!!!

Comments

• Phil,

Is it Delores from Westworld?

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,223

Phil,

Is it Delores from Westworld?

Really? Another one? I could swear it's Sansa Stark from Game of Thrones!

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,078

Great render, Phil.  By coincidence, I recently saw some of the new Westworld series for the first time.  My vote is for Delores, but I could see the Sansa point of view.  Beautiful actress in blue dress.

delores.jpg
    300 x 200 - 14K
    sansa.jpg
    236 x 354 - 16K
  • kakmankakman Posts: 225

PhilW - Thank you.

Dartanbeck - Thank you too.  I am not sure what you are referring to by the "Moon Ghost" effect.

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139

Brian has it right - it was a big show here in the UK, I'm surprised that it doesn't seem as well known in the States?  I thought at times about giving up on it, but it got better in the last few episodes of the series, and the finale really blew me away!

edited January 2017
    kakman said:

PhilW - Thank you.

Dartanbeck - Thank you too.  I am not sure what you are referring to by the "Moon Ghost" effect.

The Giant moon in this image... or is that from a Cyclorama kit?

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
  • kakmankakman Posts: 225

Dartanbeck,

I know that I am getting older, but I do NOT see a moon in that image.  If you are asking about the moon in the other image, that moon is from the Space scenes included with Carrara.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,812

Specsavers have a sale cheeky

15ca2b54476b2c00b8f24ccf012ba1.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 668K
    kakman said:

Dartanbeck,

I know that I am getting older, but I do NOT see a moon in that image.  If you are asking about the moon in the other image, that moon is from the Space scenes included with Carrara.

Yeah man... it's there! It's a ghost, like I said... so it's very faint - which I really like!!! It's right there, where Wendy circled

But a moon there would block out the stars...

PhilW said:

But a moon there would block out the stars...

...but there IS a moon there, yet it doesn't due to it being a Ghost!!! Haven't you been paying attention? LOL

(to be read with a friendly light humor sort of thing!)

its a seethrough moon so the stars shine through

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,924

love it, or maybe the stars are really in front of the moon,

full moon tonight, hope I dont get mooned...

head wax said:

love it, or maybe the stars are really in front of the moon,

full moon tonight, hope I dont get mooned...

More fun with Eyes and Hair as well as becoming more and more used to using Genesis 2 in Carrara

Being sort of in the same role as River, from Firefly/Serenity, Rosie is in a dress here on her Star Ship, the Marcoor FG-C4 Hunter, decked out with the Addons Texture packs (Corridors 1 and 2 with their Aged expansions)

Really loving the benefits of having the EYEdeas 3+ eyes, and have put some more work into the converted hair - although this is still the auto-fitted hair which I've just tweaked a bit since it wasn't quite right. But I have a whole new version in the works that I'm making directly for the Genesis 2 Female, which should work much, much better in the end. 

• VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235

Beautiful girl, magnificent scene! Dartanbeck, what kind of Carrara light did you use for the wall light set?

Vyusur said:

Beautiful girl, magnificent scene! Dartanbeck, what kind of Carrara light did you use for the wall light set?

Thanks!

You'd be amazed it ho simple my lighting setup is.

I save the scenery separately from the character, and the characters separately from the scenery. So when I light my scenery, that's all I think about lighting - the scenery. So I start something like this by getting the glow channel working on all of the shaders that should have glow in them, shut off the lights and run a few spot renders to see what parts of the scenery are supposed to emit light.

Not taking that too literally, I add lights to get the scenery lit the way I think it should look.

In this case, there are little lights all over the place, but many of those probably shouldn't give off unique light all their own, but rather just add to what's already there - so I ignore them when lighting the scene. But I see running lights along each side of the corridor floors and the the ceiling lights - those are where I put my focus for this scene.

Previously I'd have worked out where I'd place my spot lights. I always used them because I love their falloff setting being added to the mix.

Nowadays, I use shape lights for those ceiling squares - just two rectanges per corridor section. The floor has a tube light on either side. Nothing fancy.

But there's the trick to it all. Here is where I spend a good deal of time setting the lights to do what I want them to - not paying any attention to reality, except that I do want illumination where it should be. I'm basically painting the scene with light and shadow. So I focus on how brightly and how far-casting I want the lights to work.

The floor tube lights are really only there because there are lights on the floor - but I love that, because now I have an excuse to light from the floor! Still, I keep those very subtle, with a low brightness and low distance with 100% falloff. I like lights with a falloff. With a low distance glow coming from the tube lights, I meat them with a brighter, but still low distance from the ceiling shape lights. It's a balancing act to get the walls, ceiling and floor to look right - but that's it.

When I bring in characters, including robots and the like, they all have their own distant lights attached to them, and I set those to accent that character to fit the scene. Without them, the characters would be barely visible in the scene, since my scenery lights are so specific. I like scenes like this because it allows us to add a bit more color to our lights - and that's just fun!

The light rays casting down from the ceiling is a fairly new technique for me - and now I use it a lot. I use a spot light with a special gel. That gel is used in the light's Light Cone effect to create volume fog from the light cone effect. again, I spend some time adjusting the difference between how intense the effect has to be along with whatever falloff I'm using in the effect. There's also the actual light settings themselves, so I start there, and then apply the gel and cone effect. Without faloff on the effect, though, it doesn't look quite as real as the fog remains as streaks flowing through the scene very uniformly. So I consider falloff right from the start, which will often make everything (in the effect) disappear, so I start adding more brightness, more effect intensity, etc., it's another balancing act.

Oh... and I also use the Aura effect in the scene effects, which adds that bit of glow around all items with a glow channel.

edited January 2017

Nice Job Dart, remind me to read what you wrote when I have my brain in :) always good to hear your explications

Thanks for the Moon Wendy - appreciated :)

Post edited by Headwax on

Dartanbeck, thank you a lot for brilliant advises and detail explanation. I am only starting to use this method in my work: separation scenery setup from character setup. It's a little bit hard for me, because of difficulties of saving and loading a clothed and haired character into a ready scene.

I adore spotlights too! Mostly I purchased Carrara because of it's amazing spotlights. Before Carrara I worked in 3d max and used it's spotlights a lot. But when I had to change the soft, I was frustrated with other programs spotlight “abilities”. Now I'm more then happy with Carrara's spot light and other volumetric effects.

Carrara's aura is amazing, but it slows down my renders.

There are a couple of ways to merge a clothed and haired character into a scene - you should be able to save it into the object tray and load from there provided everything you want to save is in a single group, or you can save as a scene file and then Import that into your existing scene. See which works best for you particular needs.

Thank you, Phil! I'll try the whole scene import. I've already had sad experience of merging object groups into my scene from my object tray, which caused Carrara's crash. Oh!

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,801

Consolidated PBY-6A Catalina on Reconnaissance

Stezza said:

nice image Stezza. love those clouds. Are they Carrara c;louds or PS clouds?

thanks headwax... theyis Carrara clouds .... with Phils ocean and my boat available in the animation thread yes

Stezza said:

thanks Stezza, you dun good :)

Vyusur said:

Dartanbeck, thank you a lot for brilliant advises and detail explanation. I am only starting to use this method in my work: separation scenery setup from character setup. It's a little bit hard for me, because of difficulties of saving and loading a clothed and haired character into a ready scene.

I adore spotlights too! Mostly I purchased Carrara because of it's amazing spotlights. Before Carrara I worked in 3d max and used it's spotlights a lot. But when I had to change the soft, I was frustrated with other programs spotlight “abilities”. Now I'm more then happy with Carrara's spot light and other volumetric effects.

Carrara's aura is amazing, but it slows down my renders.

Yeah, now that I'm trying to make the switch from M4 and V4 figures into Genesis 2 figures (I've been plying with them, but not actually using them much) I'm noticing issues as well.

For some reason, I occassionally get a sort of morph dial lock-up when I bring my stored Genesis 2 figures and their clothing and such into an already prepared scene.

Luckily for me, I'm so used to building these scenery stages from scratch that I can do them in my sleep. So here's the work-around I've been using lately:

• Pay attention to any Scene effects and settings, like atmosphere and the like, of the scene I wish to use - perhaps even store them to my Misc > Atmosphere (etc.,) browser
    • Open my saved figure in its own scene and bring in any other characters I need - seems to work fine with just my figure saves
    • Set this scene's Scene effects and such to match the scene I was just studying
    • Drag the intended scene into this scene
    • Adjust everything to my liking

It's unfortunate when I have to work on this low-cost, under-powered laptop. My older laptop with lower stats worked with all of this much better - I think this is because it was using Windows 7. I don't like Windows 10 for actually working. Maybe if I wanted to pretend my computer was a phone or tablet - some App-Store fun gizmo... maybe I'd like it some.  But for working in Carrara with Genesis... forget it!

head wax said:
    Stezza said:

Wow! That is one lovely aircraft!!! Nice render! yes

Thanks guys!

I like to pass on whatever I can, when I can ;)

edited January 2017

sure is dart.. even nicer when you get up close to it.. it is based at the HARS museum ( still flying ) not far from me.. My bro-in-law is one of many that looks after it and many other historical flying machines. smiley

head wax said:
    Stezza said:

Wow! That is one lovely aircraft!!! Nice render! yes

Black Cat.jpg
    800 x 450 - 293K
    Post edited by Stezza on
This discussion has been closed.