cridgitcridgit Posts: 1,757
edited December 2022 in The Commons

​Redacted

Post edited by cridgit on

Comments

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

cridgit said:
    I'm a DS-only user (not even Poser!) but at times I've seen some nice looking products in the DAZ store for Bryce or Carrara. I've never purchased these because I don't know if it works in Studio. Can anyone advise?

if you don't Bryce or Carrara I wouldn't buy any thing for them .
    I use both - but I sent from DS to them .

• ManStanManStan Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

No. They are a different file format so Bryce and carrara content wont work in studio.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,810
    edited November 2012

studio stuff mostly and pretty much all Poser stuff works in Carrara.
    some of the later Poser characters with weightpainting may need conversion using a free program by Fenric but those don't work in studio anyway.
    materials may need highlight removed.
    and Carrara is way cool, renders quicker, has many more features. but going out of Carrara is not supported much with some exceptions or workarounds.

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • cridgitcridgit Posts: 1,757
    edited May 2022

​Redacted

• ManStanManStan Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Carrara 8.5 is still in beta. Don't know why, hasn't been an update to the beta in 6-7 months. But hey, when you are tired of working with that tinker toy app, come on over to carrara ;)

• cridgitcridgit Posts: 1,757
    edited May 2022

​Redacted

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Depending what the Products are that you are interested in, some may be able to be used (indirectly) in Poser.

Materials will not, obviously, in the same way that DS shaders cannoot ne used in Poser, and vice versa.

However props are sometimes packed with OBJs as well, and even if the are in fact OBPs, you can always open them in Bryce and export them to use as OBJ in Poser.

I must admit I do this in reverse though, I export OBJs from Poser and render in Bryce. (That shouldn't surprise you too much, I don't excatly hide my software preference :coolsmirk:)

• Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,259
    edited November 2012

Thank you chohole, was about to say the same thing basically. Most software will allow one to export their proprietary formats objects to obj generic type objects. Whenever exporting to a more generic format much is going to be lost, mostly in the form of textures, sometimes in detail etc... depending on the structure of the item in the proprietary format and how much translates to the obj format. So, can x be used in y... usually, but one's mileage may vary on how much translates and whether it is enough for a given persons situation or need. This can mean an object translates pretty well, or that it translates grey with no textures and even that is distorted. Even different objects from the same source/person can vary in how they transfer. So, be cautious on how much you spend on an object you want to transfer, and realize it isn't going to look like it does in it's native software without some amount of work.

Post edited by Joe Cotter on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,810
    edited December 1969

some things are just software specific too
    Carrara replicators and fur for example, or Poser hair
    others like dynamic cloth only work in a software suite that does it.
    Howie Farkes scenes in Carrara for example use replicators, you could create real instances but it would bog it down very fast and the export file would be massive.

• Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,259
    edited November 2012

Yes, important point... ty for filling that in wendy :)

Along the same lines, even when two different pieces of software do support advanced things like instances, this information isn't transferred between the two different products using a common format.

Post edited by Joe Cotter on