Digital Art Zone

2 of 3
Carrara 8 Pro on 69% sale for new customers *UPDATED*
Posted: 21 October 2012 01:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1776
Joined  2011-07-31

Thank you for the clarification, Andy.  I was just too lazy to pull my download list together and post it.  As you said, it will give them something to do when they open in the morning.

I didn’t know what the After Effects was, but did download the right one.  Haven’t done anything about installing it which is evidently a good thing.  I use Paint Shop Pro.

Signature 

AtticAnne in Austin TX

FREE GANGSTER RPG GAME

Posted: 22 October 2012 11:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1271
Joined  0

I just purchased Carrara 8 and these are the files I received..why are there 2 of each of the first 4 and are these it for files…which ones do I need to download.  My computer is 64 bit. 

Carrara 8 - Win64bit - exe - pc
Carrara 8 - Win32bit - exe - pc
Carrara 8 - Mac64bit - zip - mac
Carrara 8 - Mac64bit - zip - mac
Carrara 8 - Mac32_i386 - zip - mac
Carrara 8 - Mac32_i386 - zip - mac
Carrara 8 - Carrara Native Content - zip - mac
Carrara 8 - Carrara Native Content - exe - pc
Carrara 8 - Carrara Hair Caps - zip - mac
Carrara 8 - Carrara Hair Caps - exe - pc
Carrara 8 - Carrara 8 Application PC 32 - exe - pc
Carrara 8 - Carrara 8 Application MAC 32 PPC - zip - mac
Carrara 8 - Carrara 8 Application Mac 32 i386 - zip - mac
Carrara 8 - 3DPaint Brushes Sampler - zip - mac
Carrara 8 - 3DPaint Brushes Sampler - exe - pc

Also got the 8.5 Beta about a week earlier…these are the files I received with it

Carrara 8.5 beta - Carrara_8.5.0.172_Win64.exe
Carrara 8.5 beta - Carrara_8.5.0.172_Win32.exe
Carrara 8.5 beta - Carrara_8.5.0.172_Mac64.zip
Carrara 8.5 beta - Carrara_8.5.0.172_Mac32_i386.zip
Carrara 8.5 beta - CarraraRenderNode_8.5.0.172_Win64.exe
Carrara 8.5 beta - CarraraRenderNode_8.5.0.172_Win32.exe
Carrara 8.5 beta - CarraraRenderNode_8.5.0.172_Mac64.zip
Carrara 8.5 beta - CarraraRenderNode_8.5.0.172_Mac32_i386.zip
Carrara 8.5 beta - C8_MimicPro_2.0.8.172_Win64.exe
Carrara 8.5 beta - C8_MimicPro_2.0.8.172_Win32.exe
Carrara 8.5 beta - C8_MimicPro_2.0.8.172_Mac64.zip
Carrara 8.5 beta - C8_MimicPro_2.0.8.172_Mac32_i386.zip

I did not get all those other files such as the bonus content..is that only for the pro version? Also I didn’t get a serial # for the beta version

Kharma

Posted: 22 October 2012 02:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1806
Joined  2004-08-24

Hi Kharma

Welcome smile

If you’re on a 64 bit PC, then you would download the PC files,...

You can happily install BOTH the 64bit and the 32 bit versions of Carrara,
the single advantage of the 32bit version “right now” is the ability to export animations in Quicktime format.
Apple have STILL not updated Quicktime to a full 64bit application. so it’s only available in the 32 bit version.

The native content installer, adds all the Carrara models, shaders, sample scenes, scene wizards etc..

Installing those three files will give you Carrara 8.1.1.12

I’m not sure if the bonus content is different for the standard and Pro versions. but, as you’re also seeing Double listings, and perhaps missing some “Bonus” files,.. I’d suggest contacting Daz3D sales support, Just to check what you should get.

These two bonus products, are not “essential” to carrara, but they are extremely handy to have, so, I’d recommend installing them.

The 8.5 Beta files, and Mimic are both set to time-out on the first of November , so, it’s up to you whether you want to install them Now, or wait until we either get a New beta version, or a new serial number to extend the life of the current beta.

The beta version of Carrara 8.5,.. must be installed into a different folder from the main Carrara 8 application.

Hope it helps smile

Posted: 22 October 2012 02:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2004-08-24

HI Anne smile

I also have paint shop pro, although the last version I bought was X3, and I think I’ve used it less than five times :(

Photoshop is still my editor of choice, and with Filter-forge and eye-candy it;‘s a texture making workshop.

After Effects,.. is Adobe’s Video effects editor,. and it’s a really great program for compositing clips of animation or video, and adding effects.

If you’re remotely interested, or mildly curious and you have half an hour to spare,. then go checkout www.videocopilot.com
look through some of the free tutorial videos for examples of how to use compositing and create effects.
Andrew Kramers tutorials are funny and interesting.
They also “occasionally” have crazy give-aways of stock video footage which you can use in AE or in Carrara.

smile

Posted: 22 October 2012 03:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1085
Joined  2010-11-30

If you install DP3D Paint Brushes Sampler for Carrara you need to change the name of a folder after you install it so it will work correctly.

Change the folder DP3DPaintBrushesSampler

located in your Program folder at

...\Carrara8\Data\Strokes\DP3DPaintBrushesSampler

to DP3DPaintBrushes

so the renamed folder will look location wise like this now.

...\Carrara8\Data\Strokes\DP3DPaintBrushes

The double items is caused by a store glitch from what I understand.

Also, look at the Read Me’s for any bonus content you install as you may have to do some additional things so the product will work.

Posted: 22 October 2012 04:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  0

Thanks 3Dage…do I install both 32bit and 64bit to same directory then? Also was there an upgrade C8 from Carrara Express 7 to C8 that I could have gotten for less than purchasing the C8?

Kharma

Posted: 22 October 2012 04:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  433
Joined  2012-04-01

I think that the new upgrade price to C8Pro from any earlier Carrara is 300 bucks, 200ish for PC members. The 69% off campaign is prolly cheaper and definately simpler.

Signature 

Everything about Carrara: http://www.carraracafe.com/

Posted: 22 October 2012 05:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2004-08-24

Hi Kharma smile

do I install both 32bit and 64bit to same directory then?

In Windows 7, (64 bit)
you should have two folders ,.. “Program files” (for 64 bit applications), and “Program files(x86)”  (for 32 bit applications).

Windows should identify where a program should be installed.

When you install Carrara, 64 bit, it should automatically install to the “Program files” folder, since it’s native 64 bit.

The 32 bit version should automatically be installed into the Program files(x86) folder.
It can’t be installed into Program files.
so, they’re completely separate, but .. Both of these versions can access the same content in Poser or Daz Studio runtime folders.
and they can open the same files created in either version of carrara.

for example: I can create a scene in C8 64 bit,. save it, then open the 32bit version and render out a quicktime movie, while I’m still working on a different scene in C8 64 bit.

Also was there an upgrade C8 from Carrara Express 7 to C8 that I could have gotten for less than purchasing the C8?

that’s a harder question to answer, ,

If the store was working properly, there should be upgrade options for each previous version,.. but it’s not,.

personally I would have contacted sales by email, since I’m not in the US ..just to see what the upgrade options were.
or would wait until C8.5 was officially released,. (which usually comes along with some sort of promotional offer / sale)

but that’s a bit like saying,.. well,. I wouldn’t have spilt the milk in the first place smile  so , My apologies for that.

but you do have the standard 30 days return policy. and could wait until either the store is working, or C8.5 is released, but either of those options could take an indefinite amount of time to happen.

C8 is a completely different program to C7 express, just as 8.5 is to C8,. so technically speaking there’s no such animal as an upgrade, since it’s a new and different install, but Daz have always previously offered an option to existing users, to move up to the latest version.
As far as I know, the new store, is the only reason that those options are not currently available.

smile

Posted: 22 October 2012 06:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-07-31
3DAGE - 22 October 2012 02:19 PM

Hi Kharma

Welcome smile

If you’re on a 64 bit PC, then you would download the PC files,...

You can happily install BOTH the 64bit and the 32 bit versions of Carrara,
the single advantage of the 32bit version “right now” is the ability to export animations in Quicktime format.
Apple have STILL not updated Quicktime to a full 64bit application. so it’s only available in the 32 bit version.

The native content installer, adds all the Carrara models, shaders, sample scenes, scene wizards etc..

Installing those three files will give you Carrara 8.1.1.12

I’m not sure if the bonus content is different for the standard and Pro versions. but, as you’re also seeing Double listings, and perhaps missing some “Bonus” files,.. I’d suggest contacting Daz3D sales support, Just to check what you should get.

These two bonus products, are not “essential” to carrara, but they are extremely handy to have, so, I’d recommend installing them.

The 8.5 Beta files, and Mimic are both set to time-out on the first of November , so, it’s up to you whether you want to install them Now, or wait until we either get a New beta version, or a new serial number to extend the life of the current beta.

The beta version of Carrara 8.5,.. must be installed into a different folder from the main Carrara 8 application.

Hope it helps smile

No hair caps file included in my download, Andy.  Maybe DAZ has decided we don’t need it.

Signature 

AtticAnne in Austin TX

FREE GANGSTER RPG GAME

Posted: 22 October 2012 06:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-07-31
3DAGE - 22 October 2012 02:33 PM

HI Anne smile

I also have paint shop pro, although the last version I bought was X3, and I think I’ve used it less than five times :(

Photoshop is still my editor of choice, and with Filter-forge and eye-candy it;‘s a texture making workshop.

After Effects,.. is Adobe’s Video effects editor,. and it’s a really great program for compositing clips of animation or video, and adding effects.

If you’re remotely interested, or mildly curious and you have half an hour to spare,. then go checkout www.videocopilot.com
look through some of the free tutorial videos for examples of how to use compositing and create effects.
Andrew Kramers tutorials are funny and interesting.
They also “occasionally” have crazy give-aways of stock video footage which you can use in AE or in Carrara.

smile

PSP 9 is still my favorite.  Inadvertently, I installed PSP X after my crash instead of XII.  If I ever get C8 up and running, I’m going to put XII back on this laptop.  Then I’ll go check out the tutorials you recommended.

Signature 

AtticAnne in Austin TX

FREE GANGSTER RPG GAME

Posted: 22 October 2012 06:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8371
Joined  2007-11-06
Kharma - 22 October 2012 04:03 PM

Thanks 3Dage…do I install both 32bit and 64bit to same directory then? Also was there an upgrade C8 from Carrara Express 7 to C8 that I could have gotten for less than purchasing the C8?

Kharma

No, there was no upgrade path from C7E to C8.

Signature 

PostgreSQL CMS FAQ

Product Updates: Non-Genesis/G2 DIM Zips starting July 2013
Non-Genesis Items with Metadata
Plugin Version Numbers for DS 4.5
Updated Genesis Products

Posted: 22 October 2012 07:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2004-08-24

Thanks for that info Mike smile

I wasn’t sure about C7E, since it was discontinued, and as far as I remember , almost given away,.
( I think I bought it for around 10 bucks) just to have it to check that scenes I was building in C7 pro, also worked in C7E

Posted: 22 October 2012 08:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  0

thanks for all the info and the welcome smile I think I have a hand in every pot now lol trying to learn so much about everything at once .  I will call DAZ tomorrow and ask about the files.  I tend to do so much better talking to a person than email , I like an instant response, I have no patience at all.

Kharma

Posted: 22 October 2012 09:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  717
Joined  2012-03-25

OH well… and Monday ticks past and no response to my ticket. So, Saturday, Sunday and Monday… I have purchased a product and can’t use it due to not getting the 64bit version in my downloads area but worse, I still have no registration number in my account. :( What a wonderful sale! But my credit card sure as heck has been charged!!! There didn’t seem to be any problem with that getting accomplished. If they hold off for a month, they will have the second payment which means the third would shortly follow which is exactly the same as a 30 day trial except they have most of the money before the trial expires. I’m about to convince myself to just toss in the towel on this and ask for my money back.

Signature 

Visit My Dumor3D Store

Posted: 23 October 2012 03:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  717
Joined  2012-03-25

OK, finally got my serial number late Tuesday afternoon… in an email and not in my serial numbers list online. No response to my questions about the 64 bit version nor the missing After Effects plugins. So, I took it upon myself to reset the downloads for the package and they were there this time. Seems as if support should ‘suggested’ doing that. Anyway, for the others in the same boat… that was my solution and I have all my downloads now I think? Now to install it and see if this number works…. I’ll be sure to let you know if it does not… but will likely be distracted if it does. cool smile

Signature 

Visit My Dumor3D Store

2 of 3