Digital Art Zone

1 of 3
DSON, Genesis content, and Poser
Posted: 19 October 2012 01:51 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  55
Joined  2007-10-25

Sorry if this has been covered before, but I’m not finding anything on the forum specific to my queries.

I have managed to install the DSON into Poser, and Genesis loads up in my Poser scene without any hassles.

I found a thread on the forum that was somewhat helpful, stating that any Genesis products that were bought previously, if they have been updated to work for the DSON, the downloads can be reset and you just get the new product downloads.

I have done that for:

Genesis Creature Creator Bundle
Genesis Evolution: Morph Bundle
Genesis Evolution: Muscularity

But there are only trx files, and nothing associated with the DSON as was mentioned in previous threads I read, to tell the products apart.
And these products are listed on the DSON compatible page.

Any help to clear up this confusion would be greatly appreciated

Posted: 19 October 2012 06:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7896
Joined  2006-03-19

Those packs have been updated and those are the right type files. They were updated before they started putting DSON on in the file names.

Signature 

ARTCollaborations Store on DAZ3D    ARTCollaborations on Facebook

*****Ravenwood Cemetery*****  

Posted: 19 October 2012 07:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-10-25

So, the products that are listed on the DSON category, even though no new files are displayed when I reset the downloads, the files with trx are safe to install?

With all the problems people seem to be having with making this DSON work, I don’t want to push my luck and install something that is going to break the whole thing.

Posted: 20 October 2012 12:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9277
Joined  2007-11-06

Morph packs like those, the Iconic shapes, and the Ethnicity morphs don’t have presets—the dials are there when you load Genesis.  Therefore they don’t need Poser Companion Files.  They work in Poser as is, no update needed.

Signature 

PostgreSQL CMS FAQ
Tutorial: Adding Surfaces in DS
Product Updates: Non-Genesis/G2 DIM Zips
Non-Genesis Items with Metadata
Updated Genesis Products

Posted: 20 October 2012 12:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-10-25

Thankyou very much for clarifying that.

And just one more thing; for other products, such as hair, for example, when I reset the downloads, can someone explain to me what the different files are. I read something in a previous thread, but I can’t find it now:

DSON Core
Poser Companion
Legacy

The DSON Core is pretty clear- they are the ones I have to install in the DSON, but what about the Poser Companion?
And Legacy, am I right in amusing they are the downloads required for DS4 installations?

Posted: 20 October 2012 12:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9277
Joined  2007-11-06

Yes, DSON Core for DS 4.5 or Poser
Poser Companion Files for Poser
Legacy for DS 4.0

Signature 

PostgreSQL CMS FAQ
Tutorial: Adding Surfaces in DS
Product Updates: Non-Genesis/G2 DIM Zips
Non-Genesis Items with Metadata
Updated Genesis Products

Posted: 21 October 2012 04:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-10-25

Thanks very much for clarifying that for me!

Posted: 21 October 2012 03:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2005-06-13

Thanks a lot for clarifying the different file types, man, I was also scared to mess all my Poser folders up somehow. Why don’t DAZ people explain this a little in detail somewhere, how can a normal human being guess what is behind those file types??? Up to now I have started all the “Legacy” files as well, and only god knows where these installers have put all the files which obviously I don’t need at all… Very annoying. Thanks a million for replacing DAZ3D in helping us…

Posted: 22 October 2012 08:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  205
Joined  2004-11-14

Just to clarify this one more time for me with little brain:))

Do I need to install both of these for Genesis products to work in PoserY

DSON Core for DS 4.5 or Poser
Poser Companion Files for Poser

Or is the Poser Companion the only file that is needed?
Until now I used both the DSON Core and the Poser Companion to install into my Poser Genesis folder.

And now, that I know that I need the DSON Core files to work in DS 4.5 my DS might even find files lol.

Posted: 22 October 2012 08:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16729
Joined  2003-10-09

Yes in Poser you need both the DSON Core file and the Poser Companion file.

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        NeilV’s Freebies and stuff        Winter Bryce Rendering Challenge        November Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 22 October 2012 08:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  205
Joined  2004-11-14

Oh thank God, I thought I done something stupid again:))

Posted: 23 October 2012 09:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  210
Joined  2003-10-09

I would not be hard on yourself-although I think you are kidding here. It IS confusing-and took me awhile to figure out as well.
A nice diagram showing what goes where would be nice.

PetraR123 - 22 October 2012 08:43 AM

Oh thank God, I thought I done something stupid again:))

Posted: 10 November 2012 02:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  43
Joined  2003-10-09

I am sure I am doing something wrong also…I have anstalled all the files (and to be honest I think its just pure luck cos I really dont understand fully which files go where) and I got Genesis to load up from my Poser library but OK all the base parameters are there but none of the morph packs and various creatures or M5/V5 etc are showing, I am sure I missed (or messed up) a major step, can anyone point me to a good guide on how to set this thing up properly please?

Posted: 10 November 2012 10:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  210
Joined  2003-10-09

The morphs are ALL located under Body/Actor/ not on the body part- except expressions-which may be found under Head/Actor/

Darkmagi - 10 November 2012 02:38 AM

I am sure I am doing something wrong also…I have anstalled all the files (and to be honest I think its just pure luck cos I really dont understand fully which files go where) and I got Genesis to load up from my Poser library but OK all the base parameters are there but none of the morph packs and various creatures or M5/V5 etc are showing, I am sure I missed (or messed up) a major step, can anyone point me to a good guide on how to set this thing up properly please?

Posted: 11 November 2012 01:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  28
Joined  2004-12-31

Yeah… I’m confused too. I thought I had installed everything correctly for Poser Pro 2012 on an iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 with 16 GB running OSX 10.8.2 but all I get when trying to load anything Genisis is:

“Traceback (most recent call last):
  File “/Users/Shared/Poser Pro 2012 Content/Runtime/libraries/character/DAZ People/Genesis.py”, line 1, in <module>
  import dson.dzdsonimporter
ImportError: No module named dson.dzdsonimporter”

What I got was “DSON Importer for Poser - Mac64” and “Genesis Starter Essentials - Poser Companion - Mac” and “DSON Importer for Poser - Genesis Starter Essentials - DSON Core - Mac.” I have installed these into both places possible (PP12 has split the Runtime into one for Python in the main Poser app folder and one for Content in a user shared folder).

So, as far as I can tell, none of it works in Poser Pro 2012 on a Mac.

Signature 

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
Mitchell Davidson Bentley, MA

Atomic Fly Studios • Creative Consultant
Rising Phoenix Productions • CIO
ASFA • President 2010-2014

Posted: 12 November 2012 08:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1717
Joined  2008-11-10
mitchman - 11 November 2012 01:20 PM

Yeah… I’m confused too. I thought I had installed everything correctly for Poser Pro 2012 on an iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 with 16 GB running OSX 10.8.2 but all I get when trying to load anything Genisis is:

“Traceback (most recent call last):
  File “/Users/Shared/Poser Pro 2012 Content/Runtime/libraries/character/DAZ People/Genesis.py”, line 1, in <module>
  import dson.dzdsonimporter
ImportError: No module named dson.dzdsonimporter”

What I got was “DSON Importer for Poser - Mac64” and “Genesis Starter Essentials - Poser Companion - Mac” and “DSON Importer for Poser - Genesis Starter Essentials - DSON Core - Mac.” I have installed these into both places possible (PP12 has split the Runtime into one for Python in the main Poser app folder and one for Content in a user shared folder).

So, as far as I can tell, none of it works in Poser Pro 2012 on a Mac.

Did you update Poser to SR3? It works on my mac. I think that error message says you didn’t.

1 of 3