Digital Art Zone

3 of 5
Help! Someone gave me a kitten and I think one of us is in danger!
Posted: 19 October 2012 11:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  751
Joined  2003-10-09

If you know nothing about kittens and cats and aren’t willing to spend a fair amount of time learning, I would VERY strongly suggest you give the kitten back or take it to a no-kill shelter.  There is a great deal more to adopting a kitten than merely taking it in and feeding it.

Posted: 19 October 2012 11:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  105
Joined  2005-06-02

Omg Yes! my friend came and collected little kitty. I asked how old she is and they said only a few weeks old. So even though it kinda broke my heart and part of me wanted to keep it, I did the right thing and let it go. That kitten needs a mother and I am just not it. But I did like it so I think I will do some more research and finally get an adult cat as I always planned. But before I do I want to be prepared with all the proper equipment. The thing is when somebody or something needs you that much and obviously just wants attention and cuddling it is heart tugging.

Also makes me realize how living alone can make you selfish, I haven’t had to worry about somebody else like that in a long time. Even now, though I love my niece to death and have her over almost all the time, I love it best when she goes home. LOL

Signature 

confused is this a smiley or a scary?

Posted: 19 October 2012 11:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1823
Joined  2006-02-17
romancefantasy - 19 October 2012 11:47 AM

Omg Yes! my friend came and collected little kitty. I asked how old she is and they said only a few weeks old. So even though it kinda broke my heart and part of me wanted to keep it, I did the right thing and let it go. That kitten needs a mother and I am just not it. But I did like it so I think I will do some more research and finally get an adult cat as I always planned. But before I do I want to be prepared with all the proper equipment. The thing is when somebody or something needs you that much and obviously just wants attention and cuddling it is heart tugging.

Also makes me realize how living alone can make you selfish, I haven’t had to worry about somebody else like that in a long time. Even now, though I love my niece to death and have her over almost all the time, I love it best when she goes home. LOL

The next time, go and meet with your intended pet and see if the two of you get along.  Spend more than a few minutes with it.  Both you and it should feel comfortable with each other, don’t hope that “you’ll grow on each other.”  If you’re going for a cat, try for an early adolescent.  Full adult cats tend to be set in their ways and WILL NOT change to fit your desires.  Adolescent cats are more willing to compromise… and compromise it will be.

Kendall

Signature 

Any opinions expressed in this post are those of Kendall Sears and may, or may not, be more, or less, valid than any other opinion.

The contents of this post are intended for the DAZ forum only, do not re-post any portion to any other forum without his permission.

Posted: 19 October 2012 12:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15117
Joined  2003-10-09

I agree with Kendall there.  When we got our two, they were around 6-7 months old, had already been “fixed” by the rescue, and settled in with the minimum of problems, but still young enough to be cuddly and playful.

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        Neil’Vs Freebies and stuff        E Summer Bryce Rendering Challenge        July Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 19 October 2012 12:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Rank
Joined  2005-06-02

Of course now that it’s gone I miss it, but I have to leave soon so I am glad she doesn’t have to be in the house alone. And she’s back with her real mama so that’s good. I’ll never forget my night with the kitten though. red face

Signature 

Posted: 19 October 2012 01:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  249
Joined  2011-05-15

This…was a bizarre thread.

I think I’m probably different than some people, though. I often times think more of animals than I do people. I can’t imagine adopting a baby and then deciding it’s “annoying” and so returning it to some orphanage, no more than I would adopt an animal and then decide it’s annoying and so it should go away.

But the way we behave with animals in human culture is bizarre regardless. We eat some and adopt others. The whole thing is bizarre.

However one thing is abundantly clear. You, Romancefantasy, should never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, never adopt anything again ever. Like, ever.

Do they still make Chia pets?

Signature 

Swing by and Subscribe: http://www.youtube.com/dumpprep

Posted: 19 October 2012 01:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1823
Joined  2006-02-17
BC Rice - 19 October 2012 01:07 PM

This…was a bizarre thread.

I think I’m probably different than some people, though. I often times think more of animals than I do people. I can’t imagine adopting a baby and then deciding it’s “annoying” and so returning it to some orphanage, no more than I would adopt an animal and then decide it’s annoying and so it should go away.

But the way we behave with animals in human culture is bizarre regardless. We eat some and adopt others. The whole thing is bizarre.

However one thing is abundantly clear. You, Romancefantasy, should never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, never adopt anything again ever. Like, ever.

Do they still make Chia pets?

She didn’t “adopt” this pet, it was GIVEN to her.  She did not select the kitten, someone else did.  In this case, it more a “preliminary visit” like children up for adoption go through.  If the environment is not conducive to the well being of both parties, then both parties suffer.  The animal more than the caretaker.

In this case, she was absolutely right.  I disagree greatly with you, she showed great concern for the well being of the kitten, given the situation she was in.  When she’s ready to take on the responsibility, then she and the animal *she* selects will be happy together.

Kendall

Signature 

Any opinions expressed in this post are those of Kendall Sears and may, or may not, be more, or less, valid than any other opinion.

The contents of this post are intended for the DAZ forum only, do not re-post any portion to any other forum without his permission.

Posted: 19 October 2012 01:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7094
Joined  2009-07-13

I have taken dumped kittens to the animal welfare league myself, and caught strays no-one else would care for before they starved, does that make me a callous animal hater?
Hoarders of animals claim to ‘love’ them too.
I think Romance Fantasy behaved very responsibly actually and might even take the kitty when it is older and better able to cope away from mum, I still would suggest two kittens though, preferably from the same litter, and no, it is not cruel to lock them in a room with adquate food, water and litter tray, they can do many things that will harm them left to run amok like chew electrical cords etc.

Signature 

WARNING do not click tongue rolleye what video horrors will be seen if you do cannot be unseen.
my render thread
my gallery

Posted: 19 October 2012 01:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  224
Joined  2011-10-02

It sounds like the kitten was a little too young to be removed from its mother anyway.  Small creatures do need a lot of love and attention and animal care can be scary for the less experienced for sure.  I got both my cats at 6 month, having previously owned only dogs,  and that’s a perfect age for them to adapt to their new environment and at 2 years they are still incredibly playful and fun, and sometimes totally annoying.  They are definitely not like dogs but I wish I had got cats sooner.  For an OT thread, that was an interesting one.

Posted: 19 October 2012 01:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2302
Joined  2010-12-18

Even if someone was to adopt a pet willingly and find out that it was incompatible they aren’t bizarre or evil if they decide to return it.

Signature 

My deviantArt Pinup Gallery

Posted: 19 October 2012 03:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  987
Joined  2012-01-29

Now and then I read in newspapers about people who buy cats or dogs (mostly dogs) but then find out that animals are not toys but living creatures and require too much work (they need care, food, regular walking). So they put them in a car, drive them somewhere and then throw them out, either on a street or near some forest etc. The poor things are then lucky if someone finds them before they are run over by a car, starve to death or similar. I think Romancefantasy was very responsible in comparison - when she realized that she cannot give the kitten enough care, she returned it to people who she knows that they will take good care of it. And the kitten can even be with mommy again. This is how everyone in a similar situation should behave.

Posted: 19 October 2012 04:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  394
Joined  2005-08-23

I spent over a year looking for the right cat, and when I met her I knew—and so did she. You really need to be involved in the selection process; as others said, while the thought is nice, pets don’t make good gifts. Mine was a kitten, though, about six months old when I got her. For the first month she drove me out of my mind, and there was a point I very seriously considered returning her to the rescue I got her from—I’m glad I stuck with it, ‘cause I couldn’t live without her now. But I too will probably look into an adult cat next time around (which hopefully is a long, long, long, long time from now…).

Signature 

My RuntimeDNA Store
My Renderosity Gallery
My deviantArt Gallery

Posted: 19 October 2012 04:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  898
Joined  2008-11-01

This was a very interesting thread. Not so much because of the kitten dilemma itself as much as it was interesting to read how other people responded to it. So many diverse points of view!! Very interesting, indeed.Thanks for sharing your tale of adventure with us, Romancefantasy! I really enjoyed it! smile

Posted: 19 October 2012 05:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
Rank
Joined  2005-06-02

Even if I do all the research, prepared my home and myself for a kitten, if I find that it is too much for me to handle then I would return the kitten or cat again. Why should an animal suffer because it’s human can’t cope? I know people love their pets, and I’ve had parakeets and now a fish so I know how much fun and joy they can bring. But just like some people shouldn’t be parents, some people shouldn’t own certain animals; at least not without a lot of training, preparation, and thought. I did like the kitten, and honestly just now when I got home I felt it’s absence. But the kitten is back with it’s mother and I think that is best for now. I even said that if they still have it when it’s a little older I would take it, just not out of the thin blue sky. One thing though I have a new respect for Kitties and the people who love them.

Signature 

Posted: 19 October 2012 06:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2715
Joined  2007-12-25

I think you did the right thing, and I agree with the suggestions of an adolescent or young adult cat when you’re ready. My younger daughter, who was 17 at the time, picked out a 10 month old cat as her first pet (that she had chosen), and now they’re inseparable. Autumn hangs around the kitchen door looking mournful whenever my daughter is away overnight. Heaven knows how we’ll all survive the trauma when my daughter goes to college next year! wink

As for animals, humans, and adoption… I AM an adoptive parent, of two children who were not infants when they came to us, and very involved in the adoption community, and I can honestly and wholeheartedly say that sometimes adoptions don’t work out. A good friend of mine ended up adopting a sixth child when her first parents just couldn’t cope and disrupted the adoption. It was probably the best decision for all concerned.

I truly believe that the responsible thing, whether we’re talking about humans or pets, is to do your best, but acknowledge what you can’t handle and find a good home or temporary placement if necessary.

Signature 

Shop Zigraphix @ DAZ3D

3 of 5