With the squished dome, are you using the inside faces or the outside faces? (In max, the dome is made of a sphere primitive, which from memory is not solid. )
And cheers for the confirmation on what you were doing with sub D. It was to do with the verts for curves (Before imported to Daz. Got ya )
Basically it was to take a flat plane and divide the snot out of it, then vary the edges...but it seems that, and I'm not sure which is doing it, but something odd happens with more than eight sides...no matter what it comes out as if the area were being calculated as if it were a circle. 4 through 6 sides seems to be calculated as if it were a square and 8 comes out close to the area of an octagon. Also it was to make the surface itself 'crumpled'...by doing this, it's like wadding up a piece of paper. The surface area is still the same, but you can now fit it into a smaller volume. But it isn't as effective as it could be, because of that square or circle method of calculating the area...instead of trying to calculate the 'correct' number of sides.
Then as long as the item is mostly like what it seems to be, a 3d item's area pretty much follows cube/sphere calculations...and it still works that way even if you make more than one material zone for it. So a cube is going to have more hairs than a plane...a sphere/dome more than a circle (spheres are easiest to work with). There is a point, though, that it seems to flip back to a 'flat' object.
With my dome, I comb all the hairs to point the same direction. For smaller items (under about 6 cm diameter) the sphere seems to be the densest.
I think I finally figured out how I ran into trouble with my tribble...I started with a sphere, that originally was pretty large, squashed it some and then used the scaling script to scale it, but didn't 'lock' the scale transform by exporting/importing the scaled item...so when I saved it, the hair was actually using the area of the 'large' version.
(eta:I KNOW I fixed that bloody quote tag...at least once, already)