Digital Art Zone

51 of 77
Garibaldi Express: Hair and Fur Plugin Beta [Commercial] 
Posted: 30 December 2012 10:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 751 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4946
Joined  2009-02-26
Beautiful Lion! Looking really good smile I'm going to have to give texture coloured GH a go soon, it looks like it works quite nicely.

I think I worked out why trans-mapped hair models cant use GH... I think it might have to do with the fact that they use overlapping UV's for each hair plane so it uses the same texture repeatedly throughout the hairstyle, which is likely why it throws GH into a fit. Animal and figures don't overlap UV's. Just a theory.
 Signature 

- SpyroRue’s Deviant Art -

Posted: 31 December 2012 12:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 752 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  575
Joined  0
Thanks for the comment. I redid the lion with a darker mane and better tail tuft if anyone wants to see.

I think you may be correct about the overlapping maps. I seem to recall something mentioned about that. In any case, earlier today, I tried to paint on a hair prop just for fun. Painting the skull cap was no problem but any of the other layers was spotty at best.

Posted: 31 December 2012 01:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 753 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-02-26
Of course we'd like to see, Gone smile

Here are some hair styles I've been working on. I re-made Spyro's hair, and worked out more of the shader and Salt/Pepper, at first his hair seemed too frizzy... but once I played more with clumping things got improved.

I'm not sure, but I suspect My male hair distribution map is possibly too low at the forehead hairline... The sides I'm happy with, but renders from the front of the hairstyles makes the face appear too high, the the top of the head seemingly flattened... I'm not sure if it's just the camera work. I'll attach some front shots in next post.

Render time has been pretty good, at 2000x2000 px it's averaging at 20-25min... at 250x250 px average was 8-10mins (Seems larger renders are better off)
Image Attachments
GHair_Renders_Working_By02_1.pngGHair_Renders_Working_By04_1.pngGHair_Renders_Working_Spyv2-4Avy.png
 Signature 

Posted: 31 December 2012 01:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 754 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-02-26
As mentioned above... some fronts.
Image Attachments
GHair_Renders_Working_Spyv2-4A.pngGHair_Renders_Working_Spyv2-4P3.pngGHair_Renders_Working_By02_2.png
 Signature 

Posted: 31 December 2012 10:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 755 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4727
Joined  2004-08-11
Very nice Spyro. WOW!
 Signature 

—- Wolff On The Prowl—-

Pan Project

DAZ Studio 4 Frequently Asked Questions

Posted: 31 December 2012 11:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 756 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  226
Joined  2005-01-26
Gone 's lion render inspired me.
Image Attachments
gmillcat1asa.jpg

Posted: 31 December 2012 08:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 757 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  177
Joined  2004-06-23
These are all looking wonderful. I posted last night to say I could not see any images, but my post seems to have disappeared and the images are all now showing smile

Posted: 01 January 2013 01:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 758 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2196
Joined  2011-11-16
Spyro - 31 December 2012 01:10 AM
As mentioned above... some fronts.

Nice hairstyles smile

I hope the braid works out, I haven't had time to play with the concept yet myself. (Holidays and all.)
 Signature 

Just because I may have a strong opinion doesn’t make it any more (or less) correct than any other, just that I feel passionately a particular way at that moment.

Posted: 01 January 2013 02:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 759 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-02-26
No luck with the braid unfortunately... Unless I make a whole new prop of my own and UV map it properly without overlapping. The annoyance will be the rigging, out of curiosity, I cut the braid from the hair figure (It belonged to) found that it lost it's UV, Bones/rigging, it was not wielded at all, it's so many parts... I saved it as a prop, and attempted to weight map it... Which due to it not being wielded it made a total mess of it. So I'm gonna have to make a total new braid figure before I can make it happen.

If I do it right... and am successful, I'll be able to make a GH intended prop, so it will be made specifically for hair to be applied to it. Then the braid prop will either be set invisible or will be set to the base hair colour to blend in with the applied hair.

- I still have no real idea of how I will make a braid prop as ONE model, not in pieces, like braids bought on the market. It's not like it's a simple plat with three tubes. (Weight mapping will rip it apart btw)
[ Edited: 01 January 2013 02:34 AM by SpyroRue ]
 Signature 

Posted: 01 January 2013 02:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 760 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-02-26
BrumitD - 31 December 2012 11:56 AM
Gone 's lion render inspired me.

Beautiful Cat! I love it smile
 Signature 

Posted: 01 January 2013 05:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 761 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  117
Joined  2007-11-26
Love the cat and Spyro your hair is awesome!!

... and Gone the lion is way cool.

I have been bogged down with my own lion.

I have done one but I am just not happy with it... and there are bald patches in the skin that I can't get out and I don't know why they are there!!

Here is a look at where I got too with the lion.

Two GH nodes, one is of the skin and has all over hair along with cheek, chin and ear fur. The other node is also for the skin but it just has the mane.... I figured that even though it was on the skin as well it would be easier to get the right look separating the mane out... but as you can see it is hard work getting it to look right.

Image Attachments
GHLion05.jpg
 Signature 

Please check out my new art gallery below
A New York based fine art gallery where I am showing a collection of my work

http://www.trilliumgallery.com/maynard-ellis.html

Also checkout my FAA gallery where I have a much larger sample of my art
FAA may appeal to many artists here as they offer a great service for artists to sell prints of their work

http://maynard-ellis.fineartamerica.com

Posted: 01 January 2013 09:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 762 ]
RankRank
Joined  0
All the renders just keep getting better and better!

BrumitD - nice cat but are you sure you want him playing with the big cats? LOL

MangyDesigner - your lion is a real king -- much better groomed than mine.

I ended up using 4 hair nodes. One for the body, a seperate one for the head/chin/ear tufts (just because), one for the mane/cheeks, and one for the tail tuft.

It's hard to tell but did you comb the body hair or is it just short hair straight up? That might account for the bald spots.

I made the body hair just long enough to overlap, then between combing and the surface attract tool flattened the hair to the body and checked to make sure it was all pointed in the right direction. Then with the curl tool and surface attract pulled the hair up so it was just slightly off the surface with a bit of curl to break up the straight lines.

Increasing the pepper setting can help to make the mane darker if that is what you want.

Here is my last pass at the lion - no post work.
Image Attachments
Lion2.jpg

Posted: 01 January 2013 12:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 763 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1232
Joined  2004-08-24
These are beautiful - hope to get time to play some with the latest beta.
 Signature 

Cheers,
Alisa

Post Count - just add 6775 to what it says here smile
Coordinator & updater for KCTC Freebies *Remembering France*

Posted: 01 January 2013 04:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 764 ]
RankRank
Joined  0
By way of commentary:

I created this hair on a default, untextured Genesis in the "T" position and saved it out as a prop when I was finished.

Loaded a new scene with this character and loaded in the hair prop. Used the comb to adjust the hair at the shoulders to the character and pose and then rendered.

So for those still wondering -- yes, the hair can be saved as a prop and reused on different characters. In this case, as long as the character is built off Genesis.
Image Attachments
LongHair.jpg

Posted: 01 January 2013 04:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 765 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4727
Joined  2004-08-11
THAT'S what I've been waiting to hear. GOOD. Thanks Gone!
 Signature 

—- Wolff On The Prowl—-

Pan Project

DAZ Studio 4 Frequently Asked Questions

51 of 77