Digital Art Zone

46 of 77
Garibaldi Express: Hair and Fur Plugin Beta [Commercial] 
Posted: 24 December 2012 01:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 676 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4969
Joined  2009-02-26
Here is my recent results. I edited and refined the distribution texture to work better for this character, darkened the temples.

I'm thinking this is a good improvement over my last attempt at this hairstyle. There is still some improvement that can be made and I might trim the neck a little to taper the length as suggested to me the other day. I think, to truly get this hairstyle to be at its fullest, I may need to create a colour texture so that the temples and edges can be lighter and less prominent and more transparent in appearance.

I found that scraggle was really helpful along with subtle clumping.
Image Attachments
GHair_Renders_Working_CaydenHr2.png
 Signature 

- SpyroRue’s Deviant Art -

Posted: 24 December 2012 01:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 677 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2322
Joined  2011-11-16
Mm, like the one before this one better.... Hair can be hard...
 Signature 

Just because I may have a strong opinion doesn’t make it any more (or less) correct than any other, just that I feel passionately a particular way at that moment.

Posted: 24 December 2012 01:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 678 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-02-26
Tell me about it. downer clippered hair just cant be done with Trans mapped hair, and it proves just as mind boggling to do in Garibaldi. Like I mentioned earlier, I found it much easier to do the kids hair than this guys.
 Signature 

Posted: 24 December 2012 01:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 679 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-02-26
fivecat - 23 December 2012 12:50 PM
This plug-in gives you the ability to do a lot with maps, but I haven't done anything other than the usual hair density. Hair does tend to twirl in certain areas, and fur does the same.

I wish there were more selection tool options, like painting a selection, and selecting all the curves not in a selection group.

Select all and inverse selection would be a welcome addition too smile

Is the hair length in distribution supposed to affect the hair when you go into styling tab? I'm finding 'Hair length' has no effect once to progress to stying. And when you make a selection of hair and use extend/extrude it still affects the hair that isn't selected.
 Signature 

Posted: 24 December 2012 02:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 680 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1810
Joined  2003-10-09
you need to pull them down a little bit more with the tool , all of them so you don't have bald spot effect , use at last 125 K hair
it getting a lot better just need some final touch up , use the curl tool to pull them down just a little bit , the areas around the neck and ears looks really nice

Spyro - 24 December 2012 01:28 AM
Here is my recent results. I edited and refined the distribution texture to work better for this character, darkened the temples.

I'm thinking this is a good improvement over my last attempt at this hairstyle. There is still some improvement that can be made and I might trim the neck a little to taper the length as suggested to me the other day. I think, to truly get this hairstyle to be at its fullest, I may need to create a colour texture so that the temples and edges can be lighter and less prominent and more transparent in appearance.

Signature 

Just Released :The Aviatrix &  The Vampire Huntress
MEC4D PRODUCTS BY DAZ3D
MEC4D HOME

Posted: 24 December 2012 03:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 681 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-02-26
Mec4D - 24 December 2012 02:06 AM
you need to pull them down a little bit more with the tool , all of them so you don't have bald spot effect , use at last 125 K hair
it getting a lot better just need some final touch up , use the curl tool to pull them down just a little bit , the areas around the neck and ears looks really nice

Spyro - 24 December 2012 01:28 AM

Here's my results following your advice. I used the curl tool to it's max and had to go further by using the brush tool. I'm now using 300.0 Amount under distribution tab.

What do you think? smile

EDIT: also reduced both salting and peppering. I still need to make a colour texture for it to relieve the predominance of the hairline and temples.
[ Edited: 24 December 2012 03:02 AM by SpyroRue ]
Image Attachments
GHair_Renders_Working_CaydenHr2C.png
 Signature 

Posted: 24 December 2012 03:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 682 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09
Very nice I like it , when I shot pictures for textures by guy with short hair like that it was almost the same effect, we looking straight into the hair direction , I would add some light on the left side just a bit to bring the dimension out even more , hair need light AO or deep shadow maps , I think adding some light on the right side will lite up the tips of the hair making them more translucent ( no transparent ) so you will not need any extra maps for light tips , play with light

I see the light coming from the left side creating nice affect there but it is missed on the middle and the right side , that why it looks little flat with just Global light in this area , but I like the style you created , it is far from anything we see and add a lot of realism
 Signature 

MEC4D PRODUCTS BY DAZ3D
MEC4D HOME

Posted: 24 December 2012 03:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 683 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09
P.S next time try to get closer to the face on the temple area , it will bring the face more in balance
from nature the line with the end of the eyebrows are ,where the hair are most closer to the face especially in younger people , the hair recede back slowly with the time
Image Attachments
hair-edited.jpg
 Signature 

MEC4D PRODUCTS BY DAZ3D
MEC4D HOME

Posted: 24 December 2012 03:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 684 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-02-26
Thanks so much for you pointers on this smile I'd be still pulling out my own hair wondering what I'm doing wrong and how to fix it lol

I did a render of angled on the front of the face... I have a balding affect there, But with some more brush tooling I'll be able to clean it up. The other side of his head is looking good though, just the front. I'll play with the lighting soon too smile

Thanks again, and have a wonderful Christmas smile
 Signature 

Posted: 24 December 2012 03:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 685 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-02-26
Mec4D - 24 December 2012 03:23 AM
P.S next time try to get closer to the face on the temple area , it will bring the face more in balance
from nature the line with the end of the eyebrows are ,where the hair are most closer to the face especially in younger people , the hair recede back slowly with the time

Oh wow, I see what you mean, that definitely flows more realistically. A simple adjustment to the distribution map should refine that, I'll fix that now smile You certainly know your hair, Cheers!
 Signature 

Posted: 24 December 2012 03:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 686 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09
you welcome , as I mentioned before creating a tight hair cap for the hair will do it better, and the hair will flow with the topology, right now you have high resolution temple and the top and back is low the distribution get different if you not use enough hair , try to play with the seeds , add little more hair , and move with the coursor on screen to add higher value of the curl to get the hair falter, the hair growing in directions as on the body , from the top to the front , from the top to the end and on the temple from the front backwards starting to blend with the back hair on the line with the ear. .. but you are on your way and so far so good

Merry Christmas to you as well and everyone else ..

Spyro - 24 December 2012 03:30 AM
Mec4D - 24 December 2012 03:23 AM

Oh wow, I see what you mean, that definitely flows more realistically. A simple adjustment to the distribution map should refine that, I'll fix that now smile You certainly know your hair, Cheers!
 Signature 

MEC4D PRODUCTS BY DAZ3D
MEC4D HOME

Posted: 24 December 2012 04:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 687 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-02-26
Here I refined the temples and Sideburns.

Attached Comparison between the most recent with the Edited/Refined one
Image Attachments
GHair_Renders_Working_CaydenHr2C_and_D.png
 Signature 

Posted: 24 December 2012 05:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 688 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09
so much better ... i like it

Spyro - 24 December 2012 04:36 AM

Signature 

MEC4D PRODUCTS BY DAZ3D
MEC4D HOME

Posted: 24 December 2012 05:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 689 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-02-26
Mec4D - 24 December 2012 05:00 AM
so much better ... i like it

Spyro - 24 December 2012 04:36 AM

Thanks Mec!! - Sometimes ones art needs to be looked on with fresh eyes to help with the improvement. Amazing difference that realignment of the temples makes. smile
 Signature 

Posted: 24 December 2012 06:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 690 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  121
Joined  2007-11-26
@Spyro, It's awesome to see the progress on this and it sure is looking very realistic. smile Great job!

Would you consider sharing your distribution map once you have finished it as it has a lot going for it . I could imagine it being a really good starting point for lots of styles. I have one I did myself that I use as my regular starting point but I don't think it is as good as yours smile

btw Merry Christmas to all the GHers out there. I am in Oz so about to go to bed soon and let Santa visit. Happy holidays one and all and maybe I will have something to post tomorrow night as I am working on a render with a Unicorn and fae that is using GH. smile

Signature 

Please check out my new art gallery below
A New York based fine art gallery where I am showing a collection of my work

http://www.trilliumgallery.com/maynard-ellis.html

Also checkout my FAA gallery where I have a much larger sample of my art
FAA may appeal to many artists here as they offer a great service for artists to sell prints of their work

http://maynard-ellis.fineartamerica.com

46 of 77