Image Attachments
JBHair.jpgWildStyle.jpg

Posted: 02 December 2012 04:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 527 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  624
Joined  2007-12-04
The first hair looks great, and the second hair is funky grin
 Signature 

Follow me on facebook, check out my website or find my freebies here.
Don’t forget to have a look at The Wizard’s Library, my multi-figure Daz scene.

Posted: 02 December 2012 06:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 528 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  148
Joined  2003-10-09
What skin did you use for the first pic? Hair and skin look so realistic...
 Signature 

Erdehel’s deviantart page

Posted: 02 December 2012 08:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 529 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  520
Joined  0
Thanks for the comments.

The first one is M5 heroic and loads with the Phillip hairy skin. I switched it to Phillip shaved. Other than that, it's all default.

Funky was the intent. I have another funky cooking now. grin

Posted: 02 December 2012 10:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 530 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  369
Joined  2008-06-25
Beta 7 still. Styling the same ol' cut in a yet another different way. Windows Vista 32-bit, 2 GB RAM, disc cache turned on, working fine =) MOAR spotlights, a spec only gel light, a further customised shader mixer skin shader (fresnel specular attenuation and fake scatter, not bad, though I still miss the AO because I love the contrast'y depth it gives).

The brows aren't Garibaldi, though (they're from that old Mec4D fibermesh testing thread). I find eyebrows the most difficult thing to make with Garibaldi... Anyone share any tips?

Image Attachments
wavy_IGspotlights+.jpg
 Signature 

do your research before blaming 3Delight for shortcomings of your renders

dA gallery link in profile along with anything else you may need to know about me

my thread with freebies

Posted: 02 December 2012 11:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 531 ]
RankRank
Joined  0
1 hair node.

Not sure what kind of tips you are looking for. Eyebrows would be made using the same techniques as head hair - just using smaller paint areas and shorter hair strands. But I agree that making them look right is not so easy.

Image Attachments
HalfHair.jpg

Posted: 03 December 2012 02:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 532 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  225
Joined  2005-01-26
Working with Beta .8 and using single node. Used Dimension Theory's HDR Pro-Sets.
Added a close up.
[ Edited: 03 December 2012 02:37 AM by BrumitD ]
Image Attachments
gpinup2asa.jpggpinup2bsa.jpg

Posted: 03 December 2012 09:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 533 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-06-25
Gone - 02 December 2012 11:38 PM
1 hair node.

Not sure what kind of tips you are looking for. Eyebrows would be made using the same techniques as head hair - just using smaller paint areas and shorter hair strands. But I agree that making them look right is not so easy.

Well, tips like how many hairs to generate, what root/tip thickness, and how to setup the surface shader for hair so as to decrease the shininess... the rest is brushing and re-brushing them till you're blue in the face =)

Could I also ask how did you manage to create this cut with just one node?
 Signature 

dA gallery link in profile along with anything else you may need to know about me

my thread with freebies

Posted: 03 December 2012 10:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 534 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  225
Joined  2005-01-26
Mustakettu85 here are a few things that I have found helpfull
Use the selection list in styling tab to create and save area selections so that you can work with different areas of the hair.

If you are making a long hair, in the Set-up tab in addition to the face and head pick the neck, torso, and arms. Doing this allows you to style the hair over those sections with out the hairs going through them.

I like to set the hair base thickness to .03, the tip to .02, and the distribution amount to 40 to 70.

Hope this helps

Posted: 03 December 2012 11:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 535 ]
RankRank
Joined  0
Mustakettu85 - 03 December 2012 09:33 AM
Gone - 02 December 2012 11:38 PM
1 hair node.

Well, tips like how many hairs to generate, what root/tip thickness, and how to setup the surface shader for hair so as to decrease the shininess... the rest is brushing and re-brushing them till you're blue in the face =)

Could I also ask how did you manage to create this cut with just one node?

The cut is pretty easy. As BrumitD noted, it's all in the selection. In this case, I selected half the hair and used the scale tool to shrink it to the scalp. Then select the other half and styled as desired. Side note, I also created a control map for the styled side of the head and plugged it into all the texture map controls in the clump and tweak panes so that all the clumping, etc would only be applied to the styled hair.

Also, you don't need to select the head and torso, etc to avoid clipping. Each of the panes has a "show all mesh" button to turn on and off everything that wasn't selected. If you have the other body parts selected, you may notice that some of the guide hairs get "stuck" in the mesh as you comb the hair into place. Without the mesh selected, the hair wont get stuck and you can turn the mesh on and off as you tweak the style.

With the last several images I've posted, I've left the root/tip widths at default. The number of hairs generated depends on the look I'm going for. Usually, I have between 150 and 300. What can I say, I just think it looks better. grin

On the few eyebrows I've done, it's usually 50 or less.

With the hair selected in DS, you can go to the surface tab and adjust the primary and secondary specular settings. Both default to full white and you can change them to suit your needs.

So, I hope that helps.

Posted: 03 December 2012 02:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 536 ]
Total Posts:  21
Joined  2005-07-13
Trying to do something like the new Neftis3D's "Jayden Fever hairstyle".

I´m sure that the fibermesh will take MUCH more time to render with raytracing. Using 12+1 raytraced light sources, this took 5 minutes to render. Sorry about the ugly shadow on eyes, but I was trying to catch to hair shadows over the forehead and temples.

It was drafted over another preexisting garibaldi hair, 15 minutes of work.

Image Attachments
qq.jpg

Posted: 03 December 2012 02:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 537 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-06-25
Gone - 03 December 2012 11:08 AM

The cut is pretty easy. As BrumitD noted, it's all in the selection. In this case, I selected half the hair and used the scale tool to shrink it to the scalp. Then select the other half and styled as desired. Side note, I also created a control map for the styled side of the head and plugged it into all the texture map controls in the clump and tweak panes so that all the clumping, etc would only be applied to the styled hair.
--snip--

With the hair selected in DS, you can go to the surface tab and adjust the primary and secondary specular settings. Both default to full white and you can change them to suit your needs.

Thank you, this is definitely helpful! I didn't know selection also affects the "general" tools like the scale one. And the specular colour suggestion is awesome, I was trying to adjust intensities but got all confused...

BrumitD - 03 December 2012 10:10 AM

I like to set the hair base thickness to .03, the tip to .02, and the distribution amount to 40 to 70.

Thanks! I'm jotting this down.

BTW speaking about long hair... How do you deal with posing? It seems that however you pose Genesis, it's in the default pose in the Garibaldi window.
[ Edited: 03 December 2012 02:46 PM by Mustakettu85 ]
 Signature 

my thread with freebies

Posted: 03 December 2012 03:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 538 ]
RankRank
Joined  0
The model should be in whatever pose you applied when you first enter Garibaldi. If you change the pose in DS, then go to the setup screen and hit the "update surfaces" button. The pose will be updated in Garibaldi.

Posted: 03 December 2012 03:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 539 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-06-25
Gone - 03 December 2012 03:02 PM
The model should be in whatever pose you applied when you first enter Garibaldi. If you change the pose in DS, then go to the setup screen and hit the "update surfaces" button. The pose will be updated in Garibaldi.

Cool, thanks a lot!
 Signature 

my thread with freebies

Posted: 03 December 2012 04:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 540 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  624
Joined  2007-12-04
Gone, BrumitD and ecocam - great renders. Made me think of a few to try out.

Brilliant tips too - can't wait to try them out grin
 Signature 

Follow me on facebook, check out my website or find my freebies here.
Don’t forget to have a look at The Wizard’s Library, my multi-figure Daz scene.

36 of 77