Digital Art Zone

27 of 77
Garibaldi Express: Hair and Fur Plugin Beta [Commercial] 
Posted: 13 November 2012 07:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 391 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4891
Joined  2009-02-26
I have a request... For the next Beta.... Can we please have a 'save option'? It keeps crashing on me, and I was really close to completing a hair style, and then it crashed and I lost it. Ideally, I'd like to save my progress, so that should it crash I can load. Ds 4.5 very rarely crashes if ever for me, but its crashed every time I used Garibaldi :(
 Signature 

- SpyroRue’s Deviant Art -

Posted: 13 November 2012 07:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 392 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-02-26
And a question for all the other testers here...

Has anyone tackled the "crown" of the hair? I did, and made some good progress... There were several stray strands that refused to go down though, despite all nodes were laying flat. I also had trouble around the ears. some of the nodes got stuck inside them :S........... I played with the cut tool to try to clean the ears, but I wasn't able to cut the actual hair that was the trouble with the ears. Is there a way to trim individual loose strands of hair?
 Signature 

Posted: 13 November 2012 07:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 393 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  31
Joined  2009-05-09
Found this forum, got caught up on all 27 pages, took everyone's advise and tips, and here is my first crack at the Garibaldi Hair system.....
nothing spectacular, didn't even bother with adding any lighting, spent most of my time fiddling with all the sliders and controls in the styling and tweaking sections of Garibaldi, but I'm thoroughly loving it so far! Retired hairstylist here in the real world, so the comb and cut selections are going to be my favorites, as soon as I get the hang of the rest of it......I had a problem with the paint portion as well, but used a default Genesis for this, and applied shading, morphs and pose and expression after finishing the hair. This new plugin certainly has my vote! One question.....didn't try it yet, but is it possible to isolate sections of hair and apply different colors? If not, definitely something to add for a future beta release.....
[ Edited: 13 November 2012 08:05 PM by StevieC ]
Image Attachments
Garibaldi_Hair_Test_2b.jpg

Posted: 13 November 2012 10:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 394 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1242
Joined  2004-08-24
futurebiscuit - 13 November 2012 03:05 PM
Alisa Uh-Lisa - 13 November 2012 01:35 PM
....It gets to 99% and won't finish...

Renders look great...
Can you email me the scene and I'll have a look.
Thanks

Thanks! Will do so in the next few days - have company coming in the morning so am going a bit crazy trying to get ready. I did try different lights and that didn't help.
 Signature 

Cheers,
Alisa

Post Count - just add 6775 to what it says here smile
Coordinator & updater for KCTC Freebies *Remembering France*

Posted: 14 November 2012 12:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 395 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2228
Joined  2005-09-05
I have tried a BUNCH of times to render the second image, and there are ALWAYS the same 2-4 squares (depending on the method - sprial, circular, horizontal, etc) that just will NOT render. It gets to 99% and won't finish, so I can't save as a png or anything else. Haven't a clue why this is happening or if it has ANYTHING to do with the plugin or if it's my computer. It's weird that it is the same squares every time. Tried cutting out some of the hairs in that section but it doesn't matter. I can't get these squares to render ARRRGH!!

So I did some touchup in Photoshop with the clone tool, to try to hide them

Anyway, here are my 2 attempts at the hair. Really loving it!!
Hi Alisa, not sure if this will help but I do know that when I was doing displacement fur that increasing the bucket size would fix a similar issue. It may be worth trying.

I was told by someoneat the time that it was likely a bug in the renderer causing the problem which I did report on mantis. Can't remember what happened though...it's a while back now!
 Signature 

Shadermixer tutorials and recipes
My ShareCG Gallery
Shadermixer Documents

Posted: 14 November 2012 12:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 396 ]
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2010-01-29
Spyro - 13 November 2012 07:10 PM
And a question for all the other testers here...

Has anyone tackled the "crown" of the hair? I did, and made some good progress... There were several stray strands that refused to go down though, despite all nodes were laying flat. I also had trouble around the ears. some of the nodes got stuck inside them :S........... I played with the cut tool to try to clean the ears, but I wasn't able to cut the actual hair that was the trouble with the ears. Is there a way to trim individual loose strands of hair?

I use the selection tool to select that strand, then just go crazy with the cutting tool to and draw all over that space to cut it all.

Futurebiscuit,

Maybe there can be a delete strand in the Style menu to be able to accurately get rid of the whole strand?

gensi

Posted: 14 November 2012 12:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 397 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1242
Joined  2004-08-24
Pendraia - 14 November 2012 12:14 AM
I have tried a BUNCH of times to render the second image, and there are ALWAYS the same 2-4 squares (depending on the method - sprial, circular, horizontal, etc) that just will NOT render. It gets to 99% and won't finish, so I can't save as a png or anything else. Haven't a clue why this is happening or if it has ANYTHING to do with the plugin or if it's my computer. It's weird that it is the same squares every time. Tried cutting out some of the hairs in that section but it doesn't matter. I can't get these squares to render ARRRGH!!

Hi Alisa, not sure if this will help but I do know that when I was doing displacement fur that increasing the bucket size would fix a similar issue. It may be worth trying.

I was told by someoneat the time that it was likely a bug in the renderer causing the problem which I did report on mantis. Can't remember what happened though...it's a while back now!

I'll try that, thanks!
 Signature 

Cheers,
Alisa

Post Count - just add 6775 to what it says here smile
Coordinator & updater for KCTC Freebies *Remembering France*

Posted: 14 November 2012 01:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 398 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5715
Joined  2006-02-20
Spyro - 13 November 2012 07:02 PM
I have a request... For the next Beta.... Can we please have a 'save option'? It keeps crashing on me, and I was really close to completing a hair style, and then it crashed and I lost it. Ideally, I'd like to save my progress, so that should it crash I can load. Ds 4.5 very rarely crashes if ever for me, but its crashed every time I used Garibaldi :(

For saving in between I just click accept, and back in DazStudio save as scene.
As I am saving incrementally Scene01, scene02 and so on anyway, this is normal to me.
 Signature 

I like Bryce, DazStudio, Poser and Vue ... in alphabetical order. And I would probably like Carrara too, if I could find the time to become acquainted with it. Peace?

Posted: 14 November 2012 01:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 399 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4545
Joined  2007-09-13
Alisa Uh-Lisa - 14 November 2012 12:18 AM

I'll try that, thanks!

I remember that...

There's a bit more to the 'problem', though...

It's got to do with not only bucket size, but also render dimensions and 'partial' buckets.

It shouldn't happen at any combination that results in 'full' buckets...so a bucket size of 16 and an image size of 1024 x 2048 would work., but a 1000 x 2000 would probably have the problem. It's most likely to occur when the displacement puts a pixel into the 'next' row/column and there isn't a full 'bucket' to handle it.

Also, if that sweater is using a displacement map, it may be the cause, not the hair. Have you tried to render on an unclothed 'defait figure/
 Signature 

1432 old posts

My ShareCG gallery.

Just because something costs a lot, doesn’t mean it’s the best…

It just means it’s expensive.

Posted: 14 November 2012 01:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 400 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2228
Joined  2005-09-05
mjc1016 - 14 November 2012 01:36 AM

I'll try that, thanks!

I remember that...

It's got to do with not only bucket size, but also render dimensions and 'partial' buckets.

It shouldn't happen at any combination that results in 'full' buckets...so a bucket size of 16 and an image size of 1024 x 2048 would work., but a 1000 x 2000 would probably have the problem. It's most likely to occur when the displacement puts a pixel into the 'next' row/column and there isn't a full 'bucket' to handle it.

Also, if that sweater is using a displacement map, it may be the cause, not the hair. Have you tried to render on an unclothed 'defait figure/

Interesting...I didn't realise it was due to the size of the render but that would make sense. Also that the sweater may be what's causing the issue...nice catch MJC!
 Signature 

Shadermixer tutorials and recipes
My ShareCG Gallery
Shadermixer Documents

Posted: 14 November 2012 03:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 401 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4545
Joined  2007-09-13
Pendraia - 14 November 2012 01:49 AM
mjc1016 - 14 November 2012 01:36 AM

I'll try that, thanks!

I remember that...

Interesting...I didn't realise it was due to the size of the render but that would make sense. Also that the sweater may be what's causing the issue...nice catch MJC!

It's more to do with the buckets being 'whole' buckets...so as long as the render size and bucket size are evenly matched, there shouldn't be a problem. 'Power of 2' sizes work well...16, 32, 64 for bucket size and at least the perpendicular to 'bucket order' size should also be power of two...256, 512, 1024, 2048,,,,also, when evenly matched there may be a slight increase in render speed (I've never tested or seen it...but I haven't looked for it, either).
 Signature 

1432 old posts

My ShareCG gallery.

Just because something costs a lot, doesn’t mean it’s the best…

It just means it’s expensive.

Posted: 14 November 2012 03:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 402 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  287
Joined  2005-08-25
futurebiscuit - 13 November 2012 11:23 AM
futurebiscuit - 13 November 2012 11:10 AM
fixme12 - 13 November 2012 04:27 AM
what about dynamic hair with gravity and collisions?

To do hair dynamics 'well' it's a big project... arguably more complex than cloth simulation.

Garibaldi Express version 1 is all about concentrating about building a foundation of all the tools you need to style and render realistic hair in daz studio.

If you wish to animate your character then currently the hair will 'stick' to your characters surface.
The output will render stable and flicker free.

animate or pose (and manual fix everytime) with sticky hair, this isn't funny...
that's what we have years ago in the first xbox/playstation console versions.
even game engines of today almost don't use this anymore.
it's just a pitty, but will wait for hair physics/dynamics Sooooon...?
physics would make this hair tool for studio complete.
'm pretty sure some developer would come with the physics studio solution Sooooon.
physics are unthinkable today in animations.
[ Edited: 14 November 2012 03:32 AM by fixme12 ]
 Signature 

DAZSTUDIO FUTURE REQUESTS - CLICK ME TO JOIN
Feel free to join, sign and vote for dazstudio future improvements.
(620 users and still counting up to 1000) would like to see improvements, and you?

What features would you like to see appear in dazstudio 5?

Posted: 14 November 2012 05:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 403 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-02-26
Kerya - 14 November 2012 01:07 AM

For saving in between I just click accept, and back in DazStudio save as scene.
As I am saving incrementally Scene01, scene02 and so on anyway, this is normal to me.

Ah thank you! I didn't know you could do that with the plug in. Thanks. Saving increments is norm for me too smile
 Signature 

Posted: 14 November 2012 10:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 404 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  411
Joined  2008-06-25
futurebiscuit - 04 November 2012 10:07 AM

Garibaldi needs a graphics card that supports: hardware vertex/fragment shaders, framebuffer objects, and multisample antialiasing.
This means things are unlikely to function well with ati/amd or nvdia cards older than 5 years old.

With antialiasing off, Ge Force Go 7300 (like, seven years old?) handles the plugin fine.

mjc1016 - 28 October 2012 10:58 PM
I've gotten pretty adept at using Blender's UV mapping, so remapping the older animals, for personal use wouldn't be too difficult...but distributing remaps that would make many of them more useful would be.

Lyne distributes the remaps as an .uvs file for UVMapper Classic. http://www.lynescreations.com/lynesfree1.htm
 Signature 

do your research before blaming 3Delight for shortcomings of your renders

dA gallery link in profile along with anything else you may need to know about me

my thread with freebies

Posted: 14 November 2012 04:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 405 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  218
Joined  2010-08-03
I have a request... For the next Beta.... Can we please have a 'save option'? It keeps crashing on me, and I was really close to completing a hair style, and then it crashed and I lost it. Ideally, I'd like to save my progress, so that should it crash I can load...

Well, garibaldi nodes saves in the daz scene, I'm not sure why you would need a separate save function.
The plan is kind of that the final release version won't crash... it would be much appreciated if you could email me the details of what actions cause garibaldi to crash for you.

27 of 77