16 of 77
Garibaldi Express: Hair and Fur Plugin Beta [Commercial] 
Posted: 04 November 2012 10:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 226 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1158
Joined  2005-07-29
araneldon - 04 November 2012 03:25 PM
It's very similar to Carrara so I had no trouble getting started.

I would have posted a sample but for some reason the hair stopped appearing in renders and conforming to Genesis after something I did. Also for some reason I could not get the clumping to do anything.

Some requests:

- Symmetry wherever it makes sense
- Hair length brush
- Select brush (more convenient than the current rectangle select)
- Tool to reset selected hairs, or reset brush (edit: looks like this can be done with surface attract)
- Configurable undo limits
- Option to exclude hair from raytracing (edit: apparently there is something already, I just don't know what it does)
- Some sort of safeguards against excessive memory usage. 64 bit apps can easily bring the system down because Windows is utterly useless in controlling unruly applications. I had to reset my computer after fiddling with a setting without knowing what it does :oops:

Looking forward to further developments, so far this looks very promising smile

I concur with araneldon. I would like symmetry in both the paint, style, and tweak sections.

I like the concept of a selection brush but would also like a select all and a deselect all button.

I had a strange problem with the paint and distribute section in that there was a visible line where hair was not created and I painted and repainted the areas but to no avail. The hairless line was along a section where the face uv map and the body uv map meet.

Image Attachments
GaribaldiBeta.jpgGaribaldiBeta002.jpgGaribaldiBeta003.jpg
 Signature 

<End of transmission from Oz>
TUTORIAL - Creating a Genesis/G2F/G2M Full Body Morph for DAZ Studio Pro 4.6 by RKane_1
TUTORIAL - Creating a Genesis Partial Body Morph in DAZ Studio Pro 4 Using the DForm Tool by RKane_1
TUTORIAL - Applying Shaders by RKane_1 (as stolen blatantly from Jaderail)

Posted: 05 November 2012 08:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 227 ]
Total Posts:  21
Joined  2005-07-13
Very interesting and promising!
I have worked with all plugins for 3DS Max Hair and Garibaldi in my opinion is very easy and intuitive.

My suggestion is to include a style tool similar to "Puff Roots" of 3DS Max, which is described in help:

"Puff Roots :
Pushes selected guide hairs toward a perpendicular orientation to the surface. The bias for this tool is closer to the root of the hair than to the endpoint."

A "Reset Curve" and "Smooth Curve" tools also would be welcome.

It will help a lot to provide more natural and realistic style.

Keep your work, I will be an user !
[ Edited: 05 November 2012 09:54 AM by ekoham ]

Posted: 05 November 2012 09:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 228 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1242
Joined  2004-08-24
I haven't had time to even look at all the tutorials which I think will make a huge difference - all I've done is open it up and play for a second. Seriously cool, though I have a LOT to figure out...
 Signature 

Cheers,
Alisa

Post Count - just add 6775 to what it says here smile
Coordinator & updater for KCTC Freebies *Remembering France*

Posted: 05 November 2012 01:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 229 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  635
Joined  2007-05-26
Here is a ponytail.... but when I add a texture to genesis... the hair vanishes.. tried to go back to Garibaldi editer and tweaked and moved the camera... still gone. This is a nice looking system but it easily overwhelmed my system if I do more than a simple hair or work with a character instead of the bare genesis.
Image Attachments
ponytail.pngponytail_gone_.png
 Signature 

If I want to be a fool then I will be a fool! That is my God given right as an American!

—- Jason from True Blood

Posted: 05 November 2012 04:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 230 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  627
Joined  2007-12-04
Oh! When the hair styles I had vanished, I'd added a skin texture to genesis as well.
 Signature 

Follow me on facebook, check out my website or find my freebies here.
Don’t forget to have a look at The Wizard’s Library, my multi-figure Daz scene.

Posted: 05 November 2012 04:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 231 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  201
Joined  2006-03-02
MrPoser - 05 November 2012 01:46 PM
Here is a ponytail.... but when I add a texture to genesis... the hair vanishes.. tried to go back to Garibaldi editer and tweaked and moved the camera... still gone. This is a nice looking system but it easily overwhelmed my system if I do more than a simple hair or work with a character instead of the bare genesis.

I'm seeing this same issue -- after adding a texture to genesis the hair is no longer attached to genesis. In preview the curves are visible but the hair does not render. Using 64 bit windows beta on Vista.

Edit to add: I just tried this on another figure (Nusoda's Bong) and adding a texture to Bong does not affect the hair, so it looks like it may be a genesis specific problem.
[ Edited: 05 November 2012 04:57 PM by fivecat ]
Image Attachments
bong_hair.jpg

Posted: 05 November 2012 05:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 232 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-05-26
That is so cute fivecat! I wonder if the problem has to do with the way Genesis can change UVs for different materials?
 Signature 

If I want to be a fool then I will be a fool! That is my God given right as an American!

—- Jason from True Blood

Posted: 05 November 2012 05:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 233 ]
Rank
Joined  2006-03-02
MrPoser - 05 November 2012 05:08 PM
That is so cute fivecat! I wonder if the problem has to do with the way Genesis can change UVs for different materials?

Thanks. I hadn't thought of UVs as a possible issue -- great observation!

Posted: 05 November 2012 05:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 234 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  294
Joined  2003-10-10
I also had the same Problem with my Lycan...I just made sure I applied the texture first then the hair then it stopped being a problem...Make sure you email them the Zip file from the DAZ log text file that you save this way the Bug reports can be cross referenced....
 Signature 

As Always B3D
My radio Station…
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=qm81447313#/
http://www.foleypromagic.com
http://www.michaelhershman.com
http://www.artwanted.com/foleypro
http://foleypro.deviantart.com/
http://home.comcast.net/~foleypro

Posted: 05 November 2012 05:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 235 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-05-26
I changed the UV set to V4 and the poneytail came back.
Image Attachments
ponytail_back_v4_UV_set.png
 Signature 

—- Jason from True Blood

Posted: 05 November 2012 05:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 236 ]
Rank
Joined  2006-03-02
MrPoser was correct, it is the UV set -- I just tested it.. I had gone from Genesis Female to V4 and that had affected the hair. So you need to start with the UV set you intend to use before adding the hair.

Does anyone know how to make the hair texture follow the base texture?

Posted: 05 November 2012 05:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 237 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  218
Joined  2010-08-03

- Symmetry wherever it makes sense

Not planned for version 1.

- Hair length brush

The style curves can be stretched and compressed with the comb tool with retain length turned off. The style curve lengths can be edited with the scale and extend tools. Also edited with the cut tool.
Additional length editing tools are not planned for version 1.

- Select brush (more convenient than the current rectangle select)

This was in the plan but hasn't made the cut for version 1

- Tool to reset selected hairs, or reset brush (edit: looks like this can be done with surface attract)

Yes setting the surface attract tool set to -1 will reset the curvature of the style curves.

- Configurable undo limits

This can be set in the general tab of the attributes.

- Option to exclude hair from raytracing (edit: apparently there is something already, I just don't know what it does)

Additional options are planned for future beta versions.

- Some sort of safeguards against excessive memory usage. 64 bit apps can easily bring the system down because Windows is utterly useless in controlling unruly applications. I had to reset my computer after fiddling with a setting without knowing what it does :oops:

In hindsight it was maybe a mistake not to have is in the initial beta release.

Looking forward to further developments...

Me too.

Posted: 05 November 2012 06:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 238 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-08-03
mjc1016 - 04 November 2012 04:01 PM
The curves are very, very RAM intensive...more so than anything else with this.

I need to write some documentation at some point about better management of memory with garibaldi.
Memory usable while rendering the example files should not exceed 2.5GB with 100% of curves when I've tested them on MacOS/Win 64bit.
On particular 32bit machine setups processes may be restricted to using 2GB of memory. If you are finding it hard to render the examples then reduce the render percentage in the garibaldi daz studio parameters.

As mentioned in the beta email, on the website and in this forum a 64bit machine with 4GB of memory is currently recommended as the minimum requirements for the current early beta versions.
I sorry but I can't guarantee a good experience for using the Garibaldi Express examples with anything less at the moment.
Hopefully memory usage can be optimised with time, but I can't promise miracles.

Posted: 05 November 2012 06:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 239 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-08-03
DaremoK3 - 04 November 2012 07:44 PM
Thank you for the feedback, James.

Thanks. These are early days and I appreciate everybody who has taken time to try this early beta and hope that I can create a really fun plugin for the daz studio community.

I meant my machine is one of the cheapest on the market for a Win7 64 bit quad core, and 6 Gigs of RAM.

I'm always amazed how computers are constantly becoming cheaper and quicker. A couple of years ago something like this would be classed as a high end workstation.

I think it states 64 MB's, but I've seen internal parameters state it using a base of 1024 MB from my RAM. I will have to research this, but I believe I should be o.k. for testing of the hair system.

Most of the development of garibaldi was done on a laptop having a geforce 320m with shared memory too. Sounds like you have on of the amd apu processors which have decent GPUs faster than this.

I had the same issue with the Clumping tool, and he explains how size and settings are probably the issue. Adjust accordingly.

I'm going to update some of the default values for the next beta to hopefully make things will be a bit more intuitive.

Posted: 05 November 2012 06:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 240 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-08-03
jerrycrow - 04 November 2012 09:32 PM

But I don't know how to animate this hair.

The hair will not be directly animatieble in version 1.

It's done with Intel i3, Win7, 8G ram (with my poor PC ;>)

As long as you stay away from raytraceing that spec is more than enough to create some amazing results.

...and Where can i get the serial number?

No serial number needed for the beta version, just leave it blank.

16 of 77