Digital Art Zone

15 of 77
Garibaldi Express: Hair and Fur Plugin Beta [Commercial] 
Posted: 04 November 2012 10:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 211 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  84
Joined  2012-03-01
I'll be very interested in seeing if this can be made to work for Maxwell Render hair: http://support.nextlimit.com/display/maxwelldocs/Hair+and+Fur
 Signature 

My VTC Video Tutorial Series: ZBrush 4 - Corel Painter X3 - Maxwell Render 2

My DAZ3D Store

Posted: 04 November 2012 10:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 212 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  218
Joined  2010-08-03
Kerya - 04 November 2012 06:25 AM
Windows7 64bit, DazStudio 4.5.1.6
Intel Core i7-2700K , NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti 448, 32 GB DDR3-1333 RAM

I would say that's pretty much the ideal setup for using garibaldi. It's far better than my desktop machine.

The tightWavesExample01.duf is looking for textures that aren't there - the Journeyer scout textures I have are without an addition _DC at the end of the name ... but the hair looks great!

I tried to remove the textures from the file in the email, must have missed some. I guessing it may be due to that scene being make on a mac.

The first time I created a primitive sphere and played with all the tabs until I came to the Tweak tab. That was reacting very slowly, and then ... crash.

The sphere again. I didn't know it was going to be such a popular test character. I think it's time it did some tests on it.

Now it crashes each time I am trying to select a second part of the hairs to style.

Is still with the sphere?

Sometimes I can't paint the density map ... closing Garibaldi and Edit / Edit Garibaldi hair again worked.

I belive there a issue where the camera needs to be moved before the the paint works. That might be it?

Is it possible to select all the guiding hairs?

Not sure why you need to select all the hairs. Having no style curves selected will cause the styling tools to affect every curve too.

Posted: 04 November 2012 10:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 213 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4545
Joined  2007-09-13
Well, I'm having a problem getting it to install...I'm figuring that since I'm running in WINE the installer is choking.

The installer is crashing with an unspecified error.

I just got power back last night and didn't have much time to play with it. I'm going to give it another shot today and see if I can get it to install.
 Signature 

1432 old posts

My ShareCG gallery.

Just because something costs a lot, doesn’t mean it’s the best…

It just means it’s expensive.

Posted: 04 November 2012 10:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 214 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-08-03
samc - 04 November 2012 06:54 AM
Here is my 2nd try with the plugin. The first was more a birds nest than hair. I have been getting some crashes when trying to do long hair.

Looks great...
If you can isolate the action that causes the crash emailing the details would be much appreciated.

Posted: 04 November 2012 10:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 215 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-08-03
GreyMouser69 - 04 November 2012 06:57 AM
Any chance to still get in on the beta? Windows 7 64 bit with 4.5.1.6 pro daz studio here. I used to do some beta testing for daz a few years back and I wouldn't mind the chance to give this a test run at all. Feel free to pm or email me.

It's a open beta, just go to the website and sign up for free. You will automatically emailed a link to the download.

Posted: 04 November 2012 10:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 216 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-08-03
Kerya - 04 November 2012 08:07 AM
One thing I found out: the cursor for Dazstudio changes to a fist and stays a fist, even in DS ... LOL

Yeah is on the list of issues to fix. Sometimes (not often) the cusor gets suck as the grab/'fist' icon when using the navigation tools in garibaldi. Unfortually the only way to fix this I know off is to restart Daz Studio.
Personally when using a three button mouse I use the alt(Win)/command(Mac) and drag feature to navigate the camera.
You can press the little house button above the navigation tools to reset the camera to the default view.

Posted: 04 November 2012 10:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 217 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-08-03
Kerya - 04 November 2012 09:19 AM
By the way: I think I cranked the distribution amount toooooo high on my sphere tests - that made it probably crash.

Yeah, so at the moment Garibaldi doesn't have any checks for using too much memory... So careful with some of the sliders...
I normally keep an eye on the memory usage in the task manager when using a lot of hair on a machine with limited RAM.

Posted: 04 November 2012 10:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 218 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-08-03
foleypro - 04 November 2012 09:05 AM
Is there a way to paint with Symmetry or on both sides at once...?

There no symmetry in garibaldi. It's not planned for version 1.
foleypro - 04 November 2012 09:05 AM
Also when Painting when I change the Density of the Brush isn't that supposed to make the different shades correspond with the length of hair Generated...?Like white is longest and Dark grey shorter...?

Changing the shade of grey of the density texture map will change the amount of follicles in that area.
By changing the lengths of the style curves you will change the length of the hair.
Additional variation can be added with the random length deformer in the tweak workspace.

Posted: 04 November 2012 10:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 219 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-08-03
mjc1016 - 04 November 2012 10:25 AM
Well, I'm having a problem getting it to install...I'm figuring that since I'm running in WINE the installer is choking.

Well WINE is not going to be officially supported (I hope you can understand). but if you send me a email I can send you zip of the files loose so you can install them manually.

Posted: 04 November 2012 10:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 220 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-08-03
Half Life - 04 November 2012 10:21 AM
I'll be very interested in seeing if this can be made to work for Maxwell Render hair: http://support.nextlimit.com/display/maxwelldocs/Hair+and+Fur

Version 1 of garibaldi is concentrating on the internal 3Delight daz studio renderer.
I haven't ruled out the possibility of supporting other external renders in the future. But it's far from the priority at the moment.

Posted: 04 November 2012 02:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 221 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2911
Joined  2004-04-14
futurebiscuit - 04 November 2012 08:28 AM
Mattymanx - 03 November 2012 06:39 PM
I noticed I can only use this on Genesis atm. Will the plugin be updated to support other figures in the future?

It should work on any daz figure, modern or legacy.
Send me a email detailing the character you're having issues with and hopefully we will be able to resolve the issue for the next beta.

Let me try again. I did not poke at it for long.
 Signature 

My DAZ3D Store
My Free Stuff
My Art @ DeviantART
Ships of the Line - MEGA THREAD
How to use the Poser Format Exporter - **Updated 2013-02-09**

Posted: 04 November 2012 03:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 222 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  574
Joined  2007-08-14
It's very similar to Carrara so I had no trouble getting started.

I would have posted a sample but for some reason the hair stopped appearing in renders and conforming to Genesis after something I did. Also for some reason I could not get the clumping to do anything.

Some requests:

- Symmetry wherever it makes sense
- Hair length brush
- Select brush (more convenient than the current rectangle select)
- Tool to reset selected hairs, or reset brush (edit: looks like this can be done with surface attract)
- Configurable undo limits
- Option to exclude hair from raytracing (edit: apparently there is something already, I just don't know what it does)
- Some sort of safeguards against excessive memory usage. 64 bit apps can easily bring the system down because Windows is utterly useless in controlling unruly applications. I had to reset my computer after fiddling with a setting without knowing what it does :oops:

Looking forward to further developments, so far this looks very promising smile
[ Edited: 04 November 2012 04:51 PM by araneldon ]
 Signature 

These are not the tutorials you’re looking for. Move along.
My old profile

Posted: 04 November 2012 04:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 223 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4545
Joined  2007-09-13
araneldon - 04 November 2012 03:25 PM
- Some sort of safeguards against excessive memory usage. 64 bit apps can easily bring the system down because Windows is utterly useless in controlling unruly applications. I had to reset my computer after fiddling with a setting without knowing what it does :oops:

Looking forward to further developments, so far this looks very promising smile

I second that...been having a good time playing with one of the test files, but with trying to use the preset lights, it quickly eats RAM when trying to generate the shadowmaps. Turning off the shadowmaps, still gets a very high memory usage during a render, but 'doable'. 4 GB is barely enough.

The curves are very, very RAM intensive...more so than anything else with this.
 Signature 

1432 old posts

My ShareCG gallery.

Just because something costs a lot, doesn’t mean it’s the best…

It just means it’s expensive.

Posted: 04 November 2012 07:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 224 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  385
Joined  2003-10-09
Thank you for the feedback, James. I know now what to look out for, and will start testing Genesis instead of the sphere.

I meant my machine is one of the cheapest on the market for a Win7 64 bit quad core, and 6 Gigs of RAM. The system is only a year old, so I think all the environment variables will work fine with Garibaldi.

I think my card meets the minimum specs, but I do know it is shared RAM. I think it states 64 MB's, but I've seen internal parameters state it using a base of 1024 MB from my RAM. I will have to research this, but I believe I should be o.k. for testing of the hair system.

araneldon:

Check out James' post #209 on page 14.

I had the same issue with the Clumping tool, and he explains how size and settings are probably the issue. Adjust accordingly.
 Signature 

Take care all..        “It’s easy to clean up when you got money.”        *Old Post Count:  Don’t know, don’t care…  *New Site Status:  Doesn’t matter one iota.
Ken

Posted: 04 November 2012 09:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 225 ]
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2012-02-08
i'm on testing Garibaldi Express.
it's very very cool.

But I don't know how to animate this hair.

It's done with Intel i3, Win7, 8G ram (with my poor PC ;>)

and Where can i get the serial number?
[ Edited: 05 November 2012 03:26 AM by jerrycrow ]
Image Attachments
11040006.jpg11040007.jpg

15 of 77