Digital Art Zone

69 of 77
Garibaldi Express: Hair and Fur Plugin Beta [Commercial] 
Posted: 27 January 2013 02:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1021 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  910
Joined  2008-11-27
mjc1016 - 27 January 2013 01:17 PM
Now here is something odd that's recently started...I don't recall it ever happening before beta 12, but it did sometimes. It only affects the viewport image, so I thought it may be a driver issue. But I rolled back a couple of versions, in addition to using both the latest 'certified' and beta versions of the Nvidia driver.

But, and here's the kicker...it doesn't affect the render.

Also it takes creating a new scene, without a hair node or a restart to fix.

When it is what I think, then this is something related to DAZ Studio itself. If this happens (again) go to "Preferences" -> "Interface" and then switch the "Display Optimization" to the next lower settings (I guess it's at "Best" currently, just turn it to "Better"). Finish your scene and turn it back to "Best" if you want, when it is set to "Better" the viewport is a little bit slower.
 Signature 

Markus

My store at DAZ: http://www.daz3d.com/sedor

Member of the Bald Wizards Club (BWC).

My facebook artist page: https://www.facebook.com/WatmaScunn

Posted: 27 January 2013 06:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1022 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4545
Joined  2007-09-13
Sedor...nope.

Only does it with hair present...and it's already 'off'.
 Signature 

1432 old posts

My ShareCG gallery.

Just because something costs a lot, doesn’t mean it’s the best…

It just means it’s expensive.

Posted: 27 January 2013 08:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1023 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  188
Joined  2012-07-26
I don't know if the new releases or if it's just the disk cache setting but my system has been handling the hair so much better! My wacom is still super laggy/unusable for styling hair but I can use it to paint density. Here is my latest render.
[ Edited: 29 January 2013 08:04 AM by Swawa3D ]
Image Attachments
gotcha2.png
 Signature 

Swawa3D.com | email | twitter | YouTube animations
Galleries:  deviantART | facebook | Google+ | DAZ Gallery

Posted: 28 January 2013 03:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1024 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3126
Joined  2007-06-22
wancow - 26 January 2013 12:29 PM
does this software still need an nVidia card to use?

I don't have a Nvidia and I can use it

Posted: 28 January 2013 11:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1025 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4880
Joined  2009-02-26
New character, new hairstyle.

Playing with coloured hair, haven't done so until now. I'm happy with the results. smile the scull cap was very much required with this one, as it's strongly clumped (Top hair node). Also toyed with opacity and shadow opacity.

This uses 4 nodes:
Scull cap - 100% Opacity 100% S Opacity
Sides/back - 75% Opacity 100% S Opacity
Top 75% - Opacity 100% S Opacity
Eyebrows - 75% Opacity 75% S Opacity
Image Attachments
GHair_Renders_Working_Boy08_Eyebrow_1.png
 Signature 

- SpyroRue’s Deviant Art -

Posted: 29 January 2013 08:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1026 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-07-26
I noticed that if you save the hair as a figure/prop asset, changes made to the hair style are no longer saved when you save the scene. You have to save it as a prop/asset separately. Is this a bug or is it working as expected? I lost many hours of work because of this. If it's possible I think it would be a lot more intuitive if changes could be saved in the scene file. That's how it seems to work when I work with other prop/assets like clothes. If this can't be changed is there a way to revert the hair back to a scene asset?

EDIT: I just found in my notes that there was a bug with DS 4.5.1.6 with writing correctly on wearable(s). And that we should use the current beta. I guess this relates to the above issue? I am using DS 4.5.1.56. Does anyone know if the current beta version of DS saves properly? Thanks.
[ Edited: 29 January 2013 08:55 AM by Swawa3D ]
 Signature 

Posted: 29 January 2013 09:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1027 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  524
Joined  0
Swawa - 29 January 2013 08:47 AM
I noticed that if you save the hair as a figure/prop asset, changes made to the hair style are no longer saved when you save the scene. You have to save it as a prop/asset separately. Is this a bug or is it working as expected? I lost many hours of work because of this. If it's possible I think it would be a lot more intuitive if changes could be saved in the scene file. That's how it seems to work when I work with other prop/assets like clothes. If this can't be changed is there a way to revert the hair back to a scene asset?

EDIT: I just found in my notes that there was a bug with DS 4.5.1.6 with writing correctly on wearable(s). And that we should use the current beta. I guess this relates to the above issue? I am using DS 4.5.1.56. Does anyone know if the current beta version of DS saves properly? Thanks.

So, here's my experience.

If you save the hair as a prop asset, any changes you make in a subsequent scene will not be saved. The prop will always load with the original saved data.

If you have a hair style that is made of more than one node, you cannot save it as a single prop asset. Each node would have to be saved seperately and the same problem as above still applies.

However, you can save the hair directly as a wearable prop without having to create a prop asset first. This hair can be loaded back to any compatible character (Genesis created hair on Genesis character for example) and any modifications will be saved with the scene file. This method will also let you save multinode hair as a single wearable prop.

Posted: 29 January 2013 12:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1028 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-07-26
Thanks Gone, that seems to work.
 Signature 

Posted: 30 January 2013 08:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1029 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-02-26
I'm really liking re-sample curves as a new slider. It's much more accurate since you can see exactly what it's doing, and go as far as you need to. I have had trouble resetting all curves though... it's no longer in the edit menu, and the reset button under the re-sample slider seems to only reset some curves not all. Not sure why. (I think I altered the distribution map and then tried to reset curves)
 Signature 

Posted: 01 February 2013 01:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1030 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  218
Joined  2010-08-03
Gone - 25 January 2013 01:08 AM
Since we are on ponytails, I thought I would try my hand at it.

Here Is a update of the ponytail I did (quite a while ago now). Is a bit of a work in progress, haven't done any lighting/lookdev work for a long time...
Quite a few tweaks from the old website render, also got side-tracked into writing my own skin shader (didn't like the subsurface options on the default one).

High res renders here:
http://www.garibaldiexpress.com/randomStuff/ponyTexturedSideFull.jpg
http://www.garibaldiexpress.com/randomStuff/ponyTexturedBackFull.jpg
Image Attachments
ponyTexturedSide1k.jpgponyTexturedBackCrop1k.png

Posted: 01 February 2013 03:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1031 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-02-26
That looks terrific Future biscuit ! You really know your stuff smile

May I ask what hair width you used for the roots and tips? Your hair seems to blend really well with the character's surface. Also, what hair count did you use? - Short hairstyles I generally use 300-350, but long hair I've used about 200.
 Signature 

Posted: 01 February 2013 03:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1032 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4632
Joined  2004-07-01
futurebiscuit - 01 February 2013 01:28 AM
Gone - 25 January 2013 01:08 AM
Since we are on ponytails, I thought I would try my hand at it.

Here Is a update of the ponytail I did (quite a while ago now). Is a bit of a work in progress, haven't done any lighting/lookdev work for a long time...
Quite a few tweaks from the old website render, also got side-tracked into writing my own skin shader (didn't like the subsurface options on the default one).

High res renders here:
http://www.garibaldiexpress.com/randomStuff/ponyTexturedSideFull.jpg
http://www.garibaldiexpress.com/randomStuff/ponyTexturedBackFull.jpg

great looking hair

Posted: 01 February 2013 06:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1033 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  397
Joined  2010-02-10
Everything seems to be running fairly smooth for me with this beta. smile
Image Attachments
americanwwolf2.jpg
 Signature 

Razor42 - Design Anvil

MY DAZ STORE   

MY RENDO STORE   

MY GALLERY

DESIGN ANVIL ON FACEHOOK

Posted: 01 February 2013 08:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1034 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-02-26
I cant get a crash log... But I'm getting lots of freezing when creating and using curve selections. It's done so six times in a row, each time I've had to restart daz :(

-----------------

Nice work Razor! That's an awesome wolf!
[ Edited: 01 February 2013 09:39 AM by SpyroRue ]
 Signature 

Posted: 01 February 2013 11:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1035 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  115
Joined  2004-07-22
How does this compare with Look At My Hair?

69 of 77