Digital Art Zone

68 of 77
Garibaldi Express: Hair and Fur Plugin Beta [Commercial] 
Posted: 24 January 2013 05:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1006 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  121
Joined  2007-11-26
hmmm I never relate to people talking about render times as I always render at ridiculous pixel sizes and use raytraced shadows so most of my renders are several hours.

This one was done more as a test so I used a much smaller (for me) pixel size (1990x1407) but it still was walk away and leave it rendering for a while and I think it took close to 2 hours... but better than 5 or 6 which is often the case... although I have had many huge multi day render times in the past... I guess I need more than just 8gb RAM with how I operate.

Most of my renders are over double the pixel size of this one because I put my better renders in a Print On Demand gallery and offer prints fo rsale so I need the large size.... I sold a 3foot x 4foot framed canvass the other day and you need a large render to print that big!

Anyway at the moment I am making a series of hair colour maps from a noise map so I have some quick options at hand for when I want styles like the ponytail with multiple nodes to match. The noise map approach is working well and I will post some samples of the different colours when I have a batch of them.
 Signature 

Please check out my new art gallery below
A New York based fine art gallery where I am showing a collection of my work

http://www.trilliumgallery.com/maynard-ellis.html

Also checkout my FAA gallery where I have a much larger sample of my art
FAA may appeal to many artists here as they offer a great service for artists to sell prints of their work

http://maynard-ellis.fineartamerica.com

Posted: 25 January 2013 01:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1007 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  543
Joined  0
Since we are on ponytails, I thought I would try my hand at it.

Being the ornery cuss that I am, I put all the hair on the head. There are 3 nodes: one for the main head hair, one for the ponytail, and one for the "tie". I was trying to make it look like the hair was tied in a knot as some have been known to do. Total hair count for all 3 nodes and the eyebrows is just over 125,000.

The main hair and the tie were the hardest to do. Fortunately, now that I have it saved as a wearable preset, I don't have to repeat that exercise again. Render time was just over 2 hours.
Image Attachments
TiedPonytail.jpg

Posted: 25 January 2013 01:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1008 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4919
Joined  2009-02-26
Very nice man! You know your stuff smile Well it sounds like two hrs is norm for a pony tail. The hair density for your ponytail node looks really good. And the parting is great, well done smile

@Mangey - When you have a call for large renders, it makes sense to leave the computer do its job. I'm thinking long hair should be rendered in that same view. And 9 times out of ten, the results are totally worth the render time with GH. At least I know what time to expect the ponytails to render... Just got to check and test all settings/GH surfacing settings before rendering the longer hair. smile
 Signature 

- SpyroRue’s Deviant Art -

Posted: 25 January 2013 02:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1009 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  627
Joined  2007-12-04
Some amazing looking hair being done here. Can't wait to get back into it

Signature 

Follow me on facebook, check out my website or find my freebies here.
Don’t forget to have a look at The Wizard’s Library, my multi-figure Daz scene.

Posted: 25 January 2013 04:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1010 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  31
Joined  2009-05-09
Finally downloaded the latest version of Garibaldi, after hearing that an OBJ exporter had been added. Things are working much smoother, with far fewer freezes and crashes, (5 year old laptop with only 4G RAM in it), and was able to export as OBJ, but am not experienced enough to figure out how to get textures to export with it. My laptop chokes severely when importing back into Daz....it imports into Daz 3 easier than Daz 4.5.....anyway, ended up layering the 3Delight render of this curly do with the Reality render of the girl to achieve the desired results, but it works! Love the way the hair renders in 3Delight, just not loving how skin textures render in it. Once I figure out how to export the hair textures with the OBJ, assuming they will export looking like they do originally, I'll be more than pleased....
Image Attachments
Irish_Lassie._._._._.jpg

Posted: 25 January 2013 08:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1011 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  113
Joined  2007-07-10
wow cool renders well done

Posted: 26 January 2013 12:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1012 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  218
Joined  2010-08-03
I've just sent out emails to the beta testers with links to Garibaldi Express beta 13.

As always make sure you read the changes for this version in the email.

Posted: 26 January 2013 02:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1013 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  218
Joined  2010-08-03

mjc1016 - 21 January 2013 01:25 PM

Not too unexpected/outrageous.

Not to go into too much detail about the implementation but... Follicles are placed on a per face bases, generally if you have a large amount of follicles on a small amount of faces things will average out to be the set distribution value per square centimetre. If you have a small amount of hair on lot of faces the algorithm won't give as a even distribution, but this is a unusual case for hair/fur.

mjc1016 - 21 January 2013 01:25 PM

Now here's where the oddity starts coming in.

This doesn't really answer you problem but anyway...
So when you create a Garibaldi Node and connect a Geometry node (normally with the dialog provided), then open the Garibaldi Editor for the first time the current worldspace pose/position is cached for use in the editor.
This pose is used for follicle distribution amounts regardless of how you change the pose/position is the Daz scene (but the hair position etc updates). This is done to guarantee what you get in the Garibaldi Editor is what is rendered in Daz and when geometry has animation the same amount of follicles are created to make sure no jumping/flickering of hairs happen. Think about as an animal moves their skin stretches so the surface area of the skin changes. At any time you can update the geometry used by the Garibaldi Editor by using the update button in the Setup workspace.

I don't know why you get different results using a script and the Daz UI, Garibaldi uses the geometry the Daz would use to render.

On a side note...
If you use very dense overlapping hair you might find memory usage is high when rendering (especially when the hair is semi transparent), reducing the render bucket size (may slow render speed) and reducing pixel samples (lower render quality) will reduce memory usage

Posted: 26 January 2013 10:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1014 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  121
Joined  2007-11-26
Just a quick image. I reworked one of my older short styles and used one of my noise based colour maps.

Image Attachments
NewGH02d.jpg
 Signature 

Please check out my new art gallery below
A New York based fine art gallery where I am showing a collection of my work

http://www.trilliumgallery.com/maynard-ellis.html

Also checkout my FAA gallery where I have a much larger sample of my art
FAA may appeal to many artists here as they offer a great service for artists to sell prints of their work

http://maynard-ellis.fineartamerica.com

Posted: 26 January 2013 10:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1015 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4545
Joined  2007-09-13
futurebiscuit - 26 January 2013 02:01 AM

I don't know why you get different results using a script and the Daz UI, Garibaldi uses the geometry the Daz would use to render.

There are a couple of other scripts that work that way, too. I think that it is because by using a script the changes aren't 'committed' until you save the geometry. My question is...bug or by design...and I can see valid points for both
 Signature 

1432 old posts

My ShareCG gallery.

Just because something costs a lot, doesn’t mean it’s the best…

It just means it’s expensive.

Posted: 26 January 2013 11:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1016 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  543
Joined  0
Well, it seemed like a good idea at the time.
Image Attachments
Punked.jpg

Posted: 26 January 2013 12:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1017 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2945
Joined  2011-12-10
does this software still need an nVidia card to use?
 Signature 

My DeviantArt Galleries
My ShareCG Gallery
OPENSUBDIV Testing and Discussion
3Delight Surface and Lighting Thread

Posted: 26 January 2013 01:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1018 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-09-13
Gone - 26 January 2013 11:59 AM
Well, it seemed like a good idea at the time.

"Was your head with you, all day today?"
 Signature 

1432 old posts

My ShareCG gallery.

Posted: 26 January 2013 04:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1019 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  113
Joined  2007-07-10
wow gone good render hun

Posted: 27 January 2013 01:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1020 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-09-13
Now here is something odd that's recently started...I don't recall it ever happening before beta 12, but it did sometimes. It only affects the viewport image, so I thought it may be a driver issue. But I rolled back a couple of versions, in addition to using both the latest 'certified' and beta versions of the Nvidia driver.

But, and here's the kicker...it doesn't affect the render.

Also it takes creating a new scene, without a hair node or a restart to fix.
[ Edited: 27 January 2013 01:22 PM by mjc1016 ]
Image Attachments
012.pngmoirawinter.jpg
 Signature 

1432 old posts

My ShareCG gallery.

68 of 77