Digital Art Zone

2 of 3
WHAT THE $%#@ HAPPENED??? Bryce lost my scenes my materials, everything
Posted: 19 December 2012 10:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2007-09-25

Windows 7, yes.  Sorry, I should have been more clear. 

Bryce 7 is NOT on the C drive.  (Well, it’s all one physical drive, but there are several sections and Bryce is in the program files folder on F.)  I always put the software on a different drive than the system, for anything that will work somewhere else.  I have software all over the computer. 

Some of the items vanishing are from saved scenes that were saved to a DVD drive and then installed onto the new computer.  The rest are from saved scenes moved over directly from a drive that we temporarily attached to the new computer.  The old computer is no longer available. 

The presets are not the issue here, most of them show up most of the time.  They don’t disappear any oftener than they did out of the other computer.  (The other computer had ***issues*** which is why it’s no longer here.  Not just that it was Win2K and wouldn’t upgrade.)
The problems I’m having is stuff disappearing out of scene files.  Some of them are Bryce 7 and some are Bryce 6 and all should load fully, but it’s a whole series of messages about not loading something and objects, terrains, lights, and other stuff disappears.  Not always the same items, either.  It varies from scene to scene.  Which is why this is so weird. 
The pattern is *usually* that if I build the item in the computer, it runs with all (or most) of the pieces, but if I import it from anywhere else, it arrives mangled.  Sometimes with almost nothing left in the scene.  Including professionally done packages.  (The one I mentioned ran fine on the other computer, except for being too big to edit anything when it was open.  All the pieces were there.)

The problems started after I got the new computer (32 bit, hex core, Windows 7), which I’ve had for maybe six months or so.  Like I said, Bryce isn’t the only one having issues.  Daz Studio 3 has been losing things too, sometimes from a file built only an hour before when nothing was moved in between.  I do keep lists of how to build the characters, sets, etc, and pictures of them…but having to keep rebuilding the same thing over and over is extremely frustrating. 
Most of the other software seems to be running just fine. 

I went online, checked the instructions and found that my UAC is already set to off, and has been for some time.  I remembered it when I saw it.  I turned it off because of some other idiocy it pulled.  (Something about multiple messages on every item I tried to install to runtimes asking if I was really sure I wanted to install that.  My runtimes run into multiple gigabytes, so I was at the “kill it with an axe” stage before I found it, too)

If not the system, then what is wrong?  Given I tried scene files that were from different sources and newly installed from DVD with the same results, it’s not the scene files.  Probably not Bryce either unless there’s some setting I don’t know about or have forgotten. 

I just had an idea….some folders I dragged over and dropped in…could some of the settings I had in Win2K be in the Bryce folder and be corrupting what’s happening in Windows 7?  I think I put the old Bryce folder in place, did a “maintenance reinstall” on Bryce and ran with it. 
I’ll try the idea of putting Bryce on C, in a brand new folder, deleting the old program (though not the presets, which were mostly the way I wanted them)...and see what it does…before moving any presets or content in.  Might shed light on the situation if nothing else. 

Thanks for talking to me about it…

Signature 

Post count doesn’t include the several thousand I used to have.

Posted: 19 December 2012 10:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8697
Joined  2007-11-06

Even if it isn’t on the system drive, I believe Win7 still protects Program Files.

Signature 

PostgreSQL CMS FAQ

Product Updates: Non-Genesis/G2 DIM Zips starting July 2013
Non-Genesis Items with Metadata
Plugin Version Numbers for DS 4.5
Updated Genesis Products

Posted: 19 December 2012 11:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Joined  2007-09-25

I don’t really understand why protecting a file would make items out of a scene file go missing. 
Okay…just to clarify…I uninstalled all copies of Bryce.
Reinstalled Bryce to where it wanted to go this time instead of my idea.  It went to C:/Program Files/Daz3D/Bryce 7.
Then, fresh from the disk, I installed the set of waterfalls from David Brinnen’s tutorial. 
I immediately loaded one…it said that an object was unavailable and it would load without it.  Several times.
I made a screen shot of what it the picture that came with the scene file looked like and then a screenshot of what happened when I rendered.  I think this should be painfully obvious that there is more going on here than “protecting files”. 
Either something is set wrong somewhere…or I don’t know what.

Image Attachments
original.jpgmutilated.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 19 December 2012 11:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1619
Joined  2007-12-10

Another thing to check is that you installed the latest version of Bryce.
It should have a version number of; 7.1.0.109
It may be that you have 7.0.1.34

Signature 

I’ve got nothing of my own to promote, no models, no tutorials, no website, nothin’, nada, nill, nowt.

Posted: 20 December 2012 12:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Joined  2007-09-25

Looks to be 7.0.1.54
so, maybe that’s the problem.  I’ll certainly try fixing that next.

Would resetting my download work, or would that get me the original version I had?

Everything’s been changed since the last time I really hung out at Daz3D and I don’t know where to find the upgrades anymore.  Searchs aren’t pulling up anything useful.

Thanks for the help

Signature 

Posted: 20 December 2012 12:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-10

Yes I believe that resetting your download will just reload the same version you already have.

Go to the Daz store and purchase Bryce7 Pro. When you get to the checkout, it’ll fill in the amount as 0 and will make the latest version available in your downloads.
The other advantage of this is that it will then keep your download in your history so if heaven forbid, you ever have problems with your computer and need to replace it, you will always have access to a fresh download of the most recent version. smile

The only reason I suggested this is that last year, I too had the same problem with items not loading into David’s scene files.
updating my Bryce version fixed it immediately… let us know how you get on.

Signature 

I’ve got nothing of my own to promote, no models, no tutorials, no website, nothin’, nada, nill, nowt.

Posted: 20 December 2012 04:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15980
Joined  2003-10-09

If you “purchased”  Bryce through the store, resetting the download will rest it to the latest version, no need to “buy” it again.

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        Neil’Vs Freebies and stuff        Autumn Bryce Rendering Challenge        September Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 20 December 2012 04:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-10

See?... shows how much I know. LOL

Signature 

Posted: 20 December 2012 08:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Joined  2007-09-25

Well, I “rebought” it anyhow….before I saw the next post.  (It was free, who cares?)
Shorted sleep time to get the downloads done (who needs sleep anyhow?) and installed this morning.

Not only the David Brinnen scenes but my own old ones are now working properly.

******YES!  IT IS FIXED!********

You know, the last year and a half have been very, very busy for me.  (Not always for good reasons, either.)  So busy that I never even thought about Bryce possibly having upgraded, or that Bryce 7 (early version) wouldn’t work with Windows System 7 (“we must download and install 20 updates now, even though you’re trying to shut down ahead of a thunderstorm”) which is always updated to the max.

Thank you extremely muchly everyone.
grin

Signature 

Posted: 20 December 2012 09:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15980
Joined  2003-10-09
Rowan54 - 20 December 2012 08:51 AM

Windows System 7 (“we must download and install 20 updates now, even though you’re trying to shut down ahead of a thunderstorm”)

That really made me giggle, been there, used the big green lit button on the front of my PC case, I must admit.

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        Neil’Vs Freebies and stuff        Autumn Bryce Rendering Challenge        September Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 20 December 2012 09:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  927
Joined  2003-10-09
Rowan54 - 19 December 2012 10:20 PM

Windows 7, yes.  Sorry, I should have been more clear. 

Bryce 7 is NOT on the C drive.  (Well, it’s all one physical drive, but there are several sections and Bryce is in the program files folder on F.)  I always put the software on a different drive than the system, for anything that will work somewhere else.  I have software all over the computer. 

Some of the items vanishing are from saved scenes that were saved to a DVD drive and then installed onto the new computer.  The rest are from saved scenes moved over directly from a drive that we temporarily attached to the new computer.  The old computer is no longer available. 

The presets are not the issue here, most of them show up most of the time.  They don’t disappear any oftener than they did out of the other computer.  (The other computer had ***issues*** which is why it’s no longer here.  Not just that it was Win2K and wouldn’t upgrade.)
The problems I’m having is stuff disappearing out of scene files.  Some of them are Bryce 7 and some are Bryce 6 and all should load fully, but it’s a whole series of messages about not loading something and objects, terrains, lights, and other stuff disappears.  Not always the same items, either.  It varies from scene to scene.  Which is why this is so weird. 
The pattern is *usually* that if I build the item in the computer, it runs with all (or most) of the pieces, but if I import it from anywhere else, it arrives mangled.  Sometimes with almost nothing left in the scene.  Including professionally done packages.  (The one I mentioned ran fine on the other computer, except for being too big to edit anything when it was open.  All the pieces were there.)

The problems started after I got the new computer (32 bit, hex core, Windows 7), which I’ve had for maybe six months or so.  Like I said, Bryce isn’t the only one having issues.  Daz Studio 3 has been losing things too, sometimes from a file built only an hour before when nothing was moved in between.  I do keep lists of how to build the characters, sets, etc, and pictures of them…but having to keep rebuilding the same thing over and over is extremely frustrating. 
Most of the other software seems to be running just fine. 

I went online, checked the instructions and found that my UAC is already set to off, and has been for some time.  I remembered it when I saw it.  I turned it off because of some other idiocy it pulled.  (Something about multiple messages on every item I tried to install to runtimes asking if I was really sure I wanted to install that.  My runtimes run into multiple gigabytes, so I was at the “kill it with an axe” stage before I found it, too)

If not the system, then what is wrong?  Given I tried scene files that were from different sources and newly installed from DVD with the same results, it’s not the scene files.  Probably not Bryce either unless there’s some setting I don’t know about or have forgotten. 

I just had an idea….some folders I dragged over and dropped in…could some of the settings I had in Win2K be in the Bryce folder and be corrupting what’s happening in Windows 7?  I think I put the old Bryce folder in place, did a “maintenance reinstall” on Bryce and ran with it. 
I’ll try the idea of putting Bryce on C, in a brand new folder, deleting the old program (though not the presets, which were mostly the way I wanted them)...and see what it does…before moving any presets or content in.  Might shed light on the situation if nothing else. 

Thanks for talking to me about it…

No I’d say that if you’re having the issues with Bryce on drive F and you have UAC off then I doubt doing a different folder on C is going to fix things. I’m thinking now you either picked up a virus somewhere along the way perhaps in some content made for Studio that you also imported into Bryce? (since you say it’s happening with both Studio and Bryce) I doubt it’s the Windows 2000 files copied over doing things since you only copied those to Bryce but the problem as you pointed out is showing up in Studio too. Besides a virus the only other thing I can think of is something wierd is happening in the transfer process. If you have the scene files they should have everything in them. That’s why you can get free scenes from places like ShareCG and load them on a copy of Bryce and they work. Chances are those scenes have something in them not necessarily found in a default install of Bryce 7 Pro. It’s not like saved scenes in other programs where it just remembers where the elements used are installed and therefore would only work on a machine that had those same elements installed. The only other thing I can think of is you are doing something or did something unusual that is not coming out in your description of how you do/did things? Although if you did or are doing something odd that’s causing this I can’t imagine what it would be. Plus based on this more detailed account you just gave of things it sounds like you know your way around a computer fairly well. Maybe not an expert but no novice either.

So in other words I’m unfortunately stumped and therefore can’t seem to help beyond hoping you’re able to solve the issue either thru trial and error or someone else’s help. I can imagine how frustrating it all must be opening files you know to be complete and working only to find they no longer are complete and working. Anyway good luck and I hope this problem doesn’t distract from your enjoyment of the pending holiday season.

Posted: 20 December 2012 10:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
RankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

Well, I “rebought” it anyhow….before I saw the next post.  (It was free, who cares?)
Shorted sleep time to get the downloads done (who needs sleep anyhow?) and installed this morning.

Not only the David Brinnen scenes but my own old ones are now working properly.

You know, the last year and a half have been very, very busy for me.  (Not always for good reasons, either.)  So busy that I never even thought about Bryce possibly having upgraded, or that Bryce 7 (early version) wouldn’t work with Windows System 7 (“we must download and install 20 updates now, even though you’re trying to shut down ahead of a thunderstorm”) which is always updated to the max.

Thank you extremely muchly everyone.
grin

Ah fabulous news, I never would have thought about it being an old version of Bryce since you said you were having the problem with Studio as well. Since you are though you might want to investigate what version of Studio 3 you have and see if it’s the latest version. Although since they are up to Studio 4.5 now there’s alot of new content being made for that which may or may not work on an older version of DS and so you may want to consider upgrading to that?

Posted: 20 December 2012 10:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Joined  2007-09-25

I do have DS4…and given this morning’s revelations, I’m going to make some experiments with that and see if that is the issue.

Seems like there was some reason that DS4 and I weren’t quite getting along though, but we’ll see how that issue turns out.

Again, thank you everyone…when I came in here I seriously hadn’t a clue what was going on and am glad that it was such a simple fix.
wink

Signature 

Posted: 20 December 2012 10:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
RankRank
Joined  2003-10-09
Rowan54 - 20 December 2012 10:12 AM

I do have DS4…and given this morning’s revelations, I’m going to make some experiments with that and see if that is the issue.

Seems like there was some reason that DS4 and I weren’t quite getting along though, but we’ll see how that issue turns out.

Again, thank you everyone…when I came in here I seriously hadn’t a clue what was going on and am glad that it was such a simple fix.
wink

Well good luck things get even stranger when you get into the realm of Studio 4 and 4.5. For example in the yearly PA giveaway one of the giveaways was some studio presets for Genesis. Someone asked if it would work on Studio 4. Since Genesis came about in Studio 4 and since the presets were made for Genesis I respond that since it was made for Genesis it probably would work in Studio 4. Imagine my surprise when that person asking reported back after trying, that the presets used file types that don’t open in 4 but do open in 4.5. I was even more surprised to find out from the maker of the presets that he never even tried to make them workable for Studio 4 because he was planning on selling them intially and so felt it was more important to focus on the latest version of Studio

Posted: 20 December 2012 11:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-10

Great news… see you in the ‘Show us your Bryce Renders’ thread. smile

Signature 

2 of 3