Digital Art Zone

9 of 15
DSON Importer for Poser 1.0.0.13 is now available!
Posted: 26 October 2012 09:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 121 ]
Total Posts:  19
Joined  2005-10-11

Not really a question on the use of the Importer… But does concern the Importer as in the way of tech support.

I got the Importer when it was free. Recently found out it’s been debugged and a more recent version has been released. Do I just go download it again or do I have to buy it this time (which I can’t hence why I jumped on it when it was free). I like to keep my poser goodies up to date as much as possible and daz keeps changing things up that I never know what to do anymore except ask someone who might know.

Thanks!

Posted: 26 October 2012 09:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 122 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8548
Joined  2007-11-06
LadySythe - 26 October 2012 09:48 PM

Not really a question on the use of the Importer… But does concern the Importer as in the way of tech support.

I got the Importer when it was free. Recently found out it’s been debugged and a more recent version has been released. Do I just go download it again or do I have to buy it this time (which I can’t hence why I jumped on it when it was free). I like to keep my poser goodies up to date as much as possible and daz keeps changing things up that I never know what to do anymore except ask someone who might know.

Thanks!

Just reset it in your Itemized Order History, no need to buy it again.

Signature 

PostgreSQL CMS FAQ

Product Updates: Non-Genesis/G2 DIM Zips starting July 2013
Non-Genesis Items with Metadata
Plugin Version Numbers for DS 4.5
Updated Genesis Products

Posted: 26 October 2012 09:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 123 ]
Total Posts:  19
Joined  2005-10-11

Thank you smile I like to be sure before I mess something up lol

Posted: 27 October 2012 01:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 124 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  34
Joined  2011-07-27
Ptrope - 25 October 2012 11:51 PM

Okay, I think I’ve figured out how to convert clothing items from D|S to Poser using the Importer, but it looks like Genesis in Poser is going to be a very naked person, unless it’s wearing the Magus outfit. I tried converting the BBlsNighty from “Boudoir Bliss,” and the result was a ragged, misshapen sack with missing geometry, and which would not scale with the figure when I dial in a different body type (in this case, Basic Child is .400)

So are there any tips for a successful conversion and import? The user guides are pretty obscure (a. is it obvious where any content is located in the libraries? b. when instructed to replace metadata, there’s no information on where the existing metadata might be nor on where NEW metadata might be located, nor why this step is even required), plus the entire process is unbelievably ponderous - why wasn’t this designed to simply allow the user to click on an item, or better yet, an entire folder, and when choosing to create Poser files, it goes through and does what needs to be done, rather than having the user first figure out where the assets are, save each model separately as a DUF file that they have to figure out the correct name of (the instructions say this should be prefilled, but all that is there is an unchangeable filetype of DUF and no previous filename), and then run the conversion script?

I realize that beggars can’t be choosers, but surely, in the interest of retaining customers and attracting new ones, someone thought that maybe it would be good to test this with real users and real content to see if it made any sense, and if it made anything useable in the end?

I’m having this same problem. Were you able to figure it out? I’m still reading this forum thread so I apologize if I haven’t seen the answer yet.

Posted: 27 October 2012 02:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 125 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7793
Joined  2009-06-11

Random crashes during preview updates to a previously saved scene. If the scene hasn’t been saved the same updates don’t crash it.  Is this error message meaningful at all?

Image Attachments
dsoncrash3.pngdsoncrash2.pngdsoncrash1.png

Posted: 27 October 2012 10:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 126 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4538
Joined  2004-08-11

Hiya,

Well, looks like I solved my own dilemma .... I think the DSON Poser settings need to be tweaked some more.  ESP for things like Specular Strength (Poser = Value), Specular Glossiness (Poser = Size) and Bump (and probably Displacement too!). 

I worked my ass off last night getting my settings in DS improved for Bruno’s eyes, they look about 1000 times better so while I’m extremely pleased with all the tweaks resaving the settings as DSON Poser settings do NOT translate at all even CLOSE to what you see in DS in Poser.  It’s washed out and a mess.  Turns out many of the settings were just simply set to high, esp the Specular Size.  Actually Specular Value in Poser does indeed translate as it should but while it can be set lower in DAZ Studio to achieve an effect it needs to be full 1.00000 in Poser to achieve the same effect.  Bump maps, as most that use both programs know, can be pretty much turned down quite a bit to achieve a nice enough effect.  In DS it’s set at 50% on the Iris to make them pop a bit more but not so much to where the highlights break up.  In Poser this looks like edged metal.  So it’s set all the way down to 0.000050 to achieve the same look.  But when it’s reading the file it comes in at 0.000500.  So something is off on how surfaces are translated over .. in my opinion at least!  lol

Below is a render in Poser after getting this squared away this AM…. WHEW…

Image Attachments
BrunoEyesAdjusted-Poser.jpg
 Signature 

—- Wolff On The Prowl—-

Pan Project

Posted: 27 October 2012 09:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 127 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  258
Joined  2003-10-09

Next stumbling blocks ... man, this is like pulling teeth without all the fun ...

I spent $75 to buy the M5/V5 combo bundle, in the hopes of getting everything that makes a person a person wink. The first question that pops up out of this is: what UV-mapping do the Poserized versions use? gen 4, gen 5, or something else entirely? Before I loaded the new ones, the Starter Essentials seemed to work with gen 4 maps. After Installing, I tried loading a gen 4 map and it was only ‘close,’ not ‘right’ - so I tried “James for M5” and got nostrils on top of his nose and lips for a mustache. The only maps that seem to work are M5 “Phillip” and V5 “Bree” that come with the set.

Only Bree has no genital map at all; the “Anatomy” folder in “Materials” only contains hairy and shaved Phillips. And the scaling of the genital figures doesn’t appear to work with the scaling of the figure, even using “Transfer Active Morphs.”

I realize that any new technology has bugs, but come on ... this is something that anyone should’ve tested first! I can see why the importer is free - otherwise, I can see a lot of people asking for their $25 back. In the meantime, the M5/V5 combo bundle is wayyy overpriced @ $75 if all the buyer gets is Barbie and Ken, and even our existing character sets, or ones labeled as this same generation, can’t be used on the figures.

Image Attachments
James_NOT.jpgGen4_NOT.jpg

Posted: 27 October 2012 09:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 128 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  217
Joined  2005-04-05
Ptrope - 27 October 2012 09:39 PM

Next stumbling blocks ... man, this is like pulling teeth without all the fun ...

I spent $75 to buy the M5/V5 combo bundle, in the hopes of getting everything that makes a person a person wink. The first question that pops up out of this is: what UV-mapping do the Poserized versions use? gen 4, gen 5, or something else entirely? Before I loaded the new ones, the Starter Essentials seemed to work with gen 4 maps. After Installing, I tried loading a gen 4 map and it was only ‘close,’ not ‘right’ - so I tried “James for M5” and got nostrils on top of his nose and lips for a mustache. The only maps that seem to work are M5 “Phillip” and V5 “Bree” that come with the set.

Only Bree has no genital map at all; the “Anatomy” folder in “Materials” only contains hairy and shaved Phillips. And the scaling of the genital figures doesn’t appear to work with the scaling of the figure, even using “Transfer Active Morphs.”

I realize that any new technology has bugs, but come on ... this is something that anyone should’ve tested first! I can see why the importer is free - otherwise, I can see a lot of people asking for their $25 back. In the meantime, the M5/V5 combo bundle is wayyy overpriced @ $75 if all the buyer gets is Barbie and Ken, and even our existing character sets, or ones labeled as this same generation, can’t be used on the figures.

Easy answer to your problem, is get Mec4d’s UV switcher http://www.mec4d.com/store/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=86

It’s free and works on genesis in poser.

click on the uv you want to use, genesis will go black apply the texture you want and it will work.

Posted: 27 October 2012 10:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 129 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  258
Joined  2003-10-09

Many thanks, Sunfire!

Posted: 28 October 2012 01:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 130 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  111
Joined  2003-10-09

Does anyone know if Daz is going to create the .duf files for some of the PC items that have been released recently?

I was thinking about getting the cook and waitress items and the other PC items for the 50s now and just wait for the Poser files to be created.  I would rather wait for the files than install DS.  But if there are no plans to get the PC items converted, then I will skip getting the bundles and just buy the add-on Diner items.

Any ideas or thoughts on the matter?

Signature 

A fool and her money are soon .....Hey!  Where’s my purse?

Old Post Count:  1110

Posted: 28 October 2012 02:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 131 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  217
Joined  2005-04-05

They said they were, not sure why the new items aren’t coming out that way already unless of course they had them ready to go before they knew DSON was ready to launch.

They’ll likely get to things, eventually.

Posted: 28 October 2012 03:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 132 ]
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2004-06-16

Purchasedf dave for M5/Genesis. How does one get this texture into the Genesis figure via DSOn and into poser?

Posted: 31 October 2012 06:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 133 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  299
Joined  2003-10-09

Pardon me. I’m coming into this a bit late and just now trying to update to the DSON versions of content I’ve purchased in the past, for use with the DSON Importer for Poser.

Perhaps I’m being obtuse and I’m sorry if this has been asked and answered already but I’m a little confused by the fact that some products have one, two or three files to download to make them compatible with Studio, Poser , and the DSON Importer. I have been looking for answers to my questions in the DSON literature and the forum threads but I’m just not seeing it. This could be because I’m stressed out by other things at the moment and my patience is on a short fuse.

My questions are…

Why do some products come with three separate files for use with Studio, Poser, and the DSON Importer, and what specifically is the purpose of each file?

For example:  The Genesis Bikini now is divide into three files as follows…

—13429_GenesisBikini_1.4_trx.exe
—13429_GenesisBikiniLegacy_1.4_trx.exe
—13429_GenesisBikiniPoserCF_1.4_dpc.exe

If I’m using both Studio and Poser do I want to install all three files?

What specifically is the purpose of the “Legacy” file?

Thank you.

Signature 

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better. - Samuel Beckett (1906-1989)

Posted: 31 October 2012 07:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 134 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4538
Joined  2004-08-11

simply put, if your using DS 4.5 ignore the legacy files.  They are for DS 4.0…

Signature 

—- Wolff On The Prowl—-

Pan Project

Posted: 01 November 2012 02:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 135 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5782
Joined  2006-02-20

Legacy: DS4.0
DSON core (sometimes without any DSON in the name): DS4.5 and (if you have it) Poser
PoserCF: Poser

Signature 

I like Bryce, DazStudio, Poser and Vue ... in alphabetical order. And I would probably like Carrara too, if I could find the time to become acquainted with it. Peace?

9 of 15