Digital Art Zone

4 of 5
UV mapping question
Posted: 01 June 2012 09:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 46 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  391
Joined  2003-10-09

Continued from previous post…

Here is the second re-mapping.  I cut the islands to resemble real world clothing patterns.  The creator did not design it with realistic seam lines in mind, so I cut in edge loops at the sides.  Wings 3D for initial unwrapping.  Roadkill for final flattening.  It does have some issues I was not happy with (hence the third re-map).

Take care…
Ken

*EDIT:  Pictures loaded out of order, and don’t know how to correct (Mods, help please).  Bad forums…  Bad…

Image Attachments
Clipboard01.jpg
Clipboard02.jpg
Render01.jpg
Tex003.jpg
 Signature 

Take care all..        “It’s easy to clean up when you got money.”        *Old Post Count:  Don’t know, don’t care…  *New Site Status:  Doesn’t matter one iota.
Ken

Posted: 01 June 2012 09:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 47 ]
RankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

Continued from previous post…

Here is the third, and final re-mapping.  Simple re-flattening of second re-map in UVLayout (already had map the way I wanted it).

Take care…
Ken

Image Attachments
Clipboard02.jpg
Clipboard03.jpg
Clipboard01.jpg
 Signature 

Take care all..        “It’s easy to clean up when you got money.”        *Old Post Count:  Don’t know, don’t care…  *New Site Status:  Doesn’t matter one iota.
Ken

Posted: 01 June 2012 10:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 48 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  48
Joined  2006-08-23
DaremoK3 - 01 June 2012 09:30 PM

admkrk:

Every time I see your name I read as “Admiral Kirk”.  How far off the mark am I?

Anyways, you mentioned a few posts back if anyone was actually mapping from scratch, or only re-mapping others works.  I do a little of both.  Of course, I have to map my own projects (since FireAngel convinced me everything needs to be mapped regardless if they are only going to get material shaders), but I also map others work, because, let’s face it, some work out there needs it.
Ken

A lot of people think of Adam, but you got it right.

There is nothing wrong with creating textures for someone else’s work as long as they don’t mind. Remapping generally means producing a new .obj which can piss some off pretty bad. I assume any projects here are original works unless otherwise specified. FireAngel is right though, even if you only plan to use shaders, it’s a good idea to UV map the project anyway. 

Nice job on the relax btw, I assume that is the difference between the payed and free version? I never had such distinct stretching since all I generally only do inorganic models.

Posted: 04 June 2012 10:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 49 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  97
Joined  2004-06-24

Wow, long weekend.  Hubby went fishing at Lake Erie with the guys and the weather was so bad they never got out.  He came home early and messed up my nice, quiet weekend to myself smile

So, I’m back.  I too thought of Admiral Kirk but I’m a huge early Star Trek fan.  Always watched reruns when I got home from work.  I want a tribble.

About mapping, first let me thank you for the excellent information you shared D.  You make mapping look easy.
Two things, firstly I always map every piece of my object even when I’m using shaders.  You never know when someone will want to texture one of my products.

Because I started as a texturer I try to keep the number of uvmaps down to a reasonable number and at the same time I want some surfaces to be more prominent on the map so that I can get certain details crisp and clean on the texture. 

I do tend to stack because I am trying to save space.  Many of the products coming out today are huge in size, with many pieces.  If I do textures with many color and design choices then you end up with another huge sized package.  My runtimes are filling up my computer FAST.  I have to wonder what customers are doing.  I will soon have to put some of my runtimes onto external drives.  Space is a big concern of mine and I felt that perhaps others might feel the same way so I consider it when I create.

I’m usually embarrassed to show what I’m working because I’m self concience about it.  I’m creating a pavillion bundle that will work with the TerraDome and will include a TerraDome landscape with bridge and creek, or more likely a small pond with lily pads.  I’ve got two pavillions done so far.  I did map them entirely in Hex.  I found that the x, y and z helped me find the right mapping for each piece, and of course, putting the seams in the right place.  I’m also finding that the relax tool is useful sometime though I’m not exactly sure what it actually does….I mean what function is is actually calculating.

I stacked the posts, curtains, rings, knots, joists, bolts, beams, etc, etc.  On an octagon shaped building with 7 curtains it would take a huge number of uvmaps to do each separately.  Customers will not be able to make one post yellow and one post blue.  I’d like to know what customers thinking about that.  As a customer myself I usually use what is supplied in the package.  If I don’t like a material I usually add one of my own or tweak the existing but I had never thought about making separate pieces different colors.  Perhaps I should be considering it.

Posted: 04 June 2012 11:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 50 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1482
Joined  2008-01-01

Hi burpee

Just trying to get a handle on the last paragraph - see if I’m understanding correctly.

If I make a column (post?) in Hex, UV map it and make duplicates, they would all have identical UV templates, but each on its own grid.  When you say you stack them, do you mean layering them in your 2d painting app?  Don’t see how they could be stacked in Hex, but always open to learning.

I use Ultimate Unwrap, which treats the entire Hex .obj export as a single object, with each mesh as a group.  The UV templates would be automatically stacked, but they can be separated out in Hex, Carrara or MapMagic so they could each be individually textured, if the user so wishes.

Posted: 04 June 2012 12:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 51 ]
Rank
Joined  2004-06-24

Was thinking that I was done with this and found that I deleted the bottom floor base and had not finished uvmapping.

The first image shows the uvmaping of the top beam, both floor bases and the inner roof.  Each is separate so that I can texture each separately.  There are only 4 total objects on this map.

the second shows the hexagonal pavillion with those parts highlighted.

The third shows the curtains highlighted.  There are 5 curtains on this uvmap, one ontop of the other.  When this gets textured all curtains will have the same texture.  That’s what I mean when I say stacking.

The 4th image shows the curtains moved around and some made smaller so that you can see that there is more than one curtain.

Image Attachments
Clipboard01.jpg
Clipboard02.jpg
Clipboard03.jpg
Clipboard04.jpg

Posted: 04 June 2012 01:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 52 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-01

So I take it you don’t make, say, one curtain, map it and then make multiple copies.  Seems to me you make one, copy it, weld all then UV map each mesh separately - that would get them all onto one grid where you can stack them?

Posted: 04 June 2012 02:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 53 ]
Rank
Joined  2004-06-24

No, I do make one copy, uv map it then make my copies.  That way I only have to uv map identical items once.  That’s why the copies are all on top of one another and it looks like just one copy.

Edit:  I make a copy and paste, not a clone.  Above someone said it was the same but I am not sure about that.  Clones have the ‘C’ icon next to them and when you change one, you change them all.  Copy and paste makes separate objects.  If I make a change to one it does not affect the others.

Posted: 04 June 2012 03:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 54 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  250
Joined  2009-01-27
Burpee - 04 June 2012 02:46 PM

Edit:  I make a copy and paste, not a clone.  Above someone said it was the same but I am not sure about that.  Clones have the ‘C’ icon next to them and when you change one, you change them all.  Copy and paste makes separate objects.  If I make a change to one it does not affect the others.

That was I who said it, and you’re right about the “c” icon referring to a “clone” copy.

Let me backpedal to the extent that copying an item is identical to copy’n'pasting an item - both of these produce a single identical copy of the original item, and are not “clones” within the context of “hex-speak”.

“Clones” are produced by the “copy on a support” tool, which produces multiple copies of the original item along a guideline. With this setup, altering any clone produces the same alteration on all the clones.

By simply copying or copy’n'pasting an item, each item is a separate entity, each of which may be altered separately without affecting the other.

ADD:
I just doublechecked and learned something…You can indeed “clone” an object using the copy tool. I’ve never done that, so I guess I wasn’t looking for it. But “clone off” is the default state of the tool, and you have to actually set it to “clone” in order to clone an item.

So if you want to make copies and not clones using the copy tool, just make sure the mode icon is set to “clone off”, and you’re good to go!

There’s still an advantage to copy’n'paste, though…it’s often faster and easier!  grin

Signature 

For any arguments or illustrations I give, my system specs are:
Hexagon version 2.5.1.79,  XP pro 32 bit,  pentium core2 duo,  ATI radeon 3870, 2 gigs ram

Posted: 04 June 2012 03:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 55 ]
Rank
Joined  2004-06-24

yep, old habits die hard and I know myself.  I make mistakes so the copy and paste is safest for me.  I can just imagine making the clones then changing one and thinking all is fine just to see that they all changed.  Would be just like me, lol.

I just started the square pavillion and used the ‘copy on a supoprt’.  I have used it for all of them so far.  I didn’t realize they were clones that I made.  There’s no ‘C’ next to them but perhaps it’s how I treat them after I make them.

I probably will not investigate the other uv mappers until I finish this product.  I don’t want to stop and learn to use other softwares while I’m working on this.  I will, however, use one of them as a test when I do look into how they function and work.

Posted: 04 June 2012 03:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 56 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-01

No, I do make one copy, uv map it then make my copies.  That way I only have to uv map identical items once.  That’s why the copies are all on top of one another and it looks like just one copy.

Thank you for opening my eyes to a whole new - to me - procedure.

In fact, Hex can only make one map per grid, so I couldn’t understand how you were stacking them.  After some messing about, I found two methods of getting a texture onto multiple copies.

First method - If you have identical copies with identical maps and only one material then load a texture image onto one, it copies across all copies.

Second - if you select all the identical items, the maps overlay each other perfectly, making it look like being stacked - if you then export that map, texture it and import the texture, they are all textured at once.

Very cunning http://www.daz3d.com/forums/smileys/#

Posted: 04 June 2012 04:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 57 ]
Rank
Joined  2004-06-24

That’s cool smile

I don’t texture inside of Hex because I don’t know how to make that relate the texture jpg for Poser.  I make a bmp of the uvs in Hexagon then take them into my 2D programs and make jpgs for the textures folder.  I’ve watched videos of texturing inside Hexagon but I don’t understand after doing it how to make it into a jpg for Poser.

Posted: 04 June 2012 05:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 58 ]
RankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

Hey Burpee, Your pavilion looks great.

I was thinking about what you asked regarding customers, and as a customer I think you can keep your stacked mapping, and satisfy customers like me who like to alter the defaults by simply assigning each individual stacked island (pole, curtain, etc.) a separate Mat/Shader zone.

You can still assign all of them to one texture (your default), but a customer would have an easy choice to modify or create a new texture (a giant smiley on curtain islands, for example), and only assign it to the ones they wish to modify while keeping the default texture assigned to the rest.  It’s a win-win situation.  You get resource saving maps/textures, and your customers get to modify the product if their work calls for it.

Keep up the good work, take care…
Ken

Signature 

Ken

Posted: 04 June 2012 07:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 59 ]
Rank
Joined  2004-06-24

Thanks DaremoK3, glad to know that it will work to the customer’s advantage.  I’m always trying to learn.  I just seem to learn at such a slow pace while everyone else speeds past me.

Posted: 04 June 2012 10:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 60 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  48
Joined  2006-08-23
Burpee - 04 June 2012 10:07 AM

So, I’m back.  I too thought of Admiral Kirk but I’m a huge early Star Trek fan.  Always watched reruns when I got home from work.  I want a tribble.

lol, tribbles are nothing but trouble. grin I used to watch the reruns too, when they stopped making new ones.

Because I started as a texturer I try to keep the number of uvmaps down to a reasonable number and at the same time I want some surfaces to be more prominent on the map so that I can get certain details crisp and clean on the texture.

That’s the only reason I can think of to have more than one map.

I do tend to stack because I am trying to save space.  Many of the products coming out today are huge in size, with many pieces.  If I do textures with many color and design choices then you end up with another huge sized package.  My runtimes are filling up my computer FAST.  I have to wonder what customers are doing.  I will soon have to put some of my runtimes onto external drives.  Space is a big concern of mine and I felt that perhaps others might feel the same way so I consider it when I create.

Space isn’t as big of a concern as it used to be but HDD prices have been going up for the last couple years to promote sales on SSD so it’s catching back up.

I stacked the posts, curtains, rings, knots, joists, bolts, beams, etc, etc.  On an octagon shaped building with 7 curtains it would take a huge number of uvmaps to do each separately.  Customers will not be able to make one post yellow and one post blue.  I’d like to know what customers thinking about that.  As a customer myself I usually use what is supplied in the package.  If I don’t like a material I usually add one of my own or tweak the existing but I had never thought about making separate pieces different colors.  Perhaps I should be considering it.

It only makes sense to stack things like that. Otherwise you end up with either a ton of maps or very low res textures. Imagine having each piece of this mapped separately v .  DaremoK3’s idea should work if the customer is using UVMapper and makes a separate map, with other UV programs they should only need to select the particular part from object view to do the same without adding additional size to your .obj.

Image Attachments
BedFrame02.jpg

4 of 5