Digital Art Zone

2 of 5
UV mapping question
Posted: 31 May 2012 08:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2322
Joined  2011-11-16

Question, doesn’t anyone use Photoshop for painting their objs?

Signature 

Just because I may have a strong opinion doesn’t make it any more (or less) correct than any other, just that I feel passionately a particular way at that moment.

Posted: 31 May 2012 08:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2945
Joined  2011-12-10
Burpee - 31 May 2012 03:43 PM

I have the free UVmapper but I never understood it.  I didn’t spend much time trying to learn it though.  It creates all the uvs on top of each other and I didn’t know how to add seam lines to unwrap or how to select just part of the obj for uving.

In the edit pulldown, you can select by Group, Material Group, or Region.  You can select multiple groups at once and use the [ key to hide, the ] key to show.

The help pulldown has all your hot keys.

For what it is, the freeware UVmapper is VERY powerful!

Signature 

My DeviantArt Galleries
My ShareCG Gallery
OPENSUBDIV Testing and Discussion
3Delight Surface and Lighting Thread

Posted: 31 May 2012 08:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-10
Gedd - 31 May 2012 08:51 PM

You mean creating textures or as a 3D Paint program?

Personally, I’d love to see a DAZ Studio GIMP Bridge!

Signature 

My DeviantArt Galleries
My ShareCG Gallery

Posted: 31 May 2012 09:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  250
Joined  2009-01-27
DaremoK3 - 31 May 2012 07:49 PM

afreaginname, technically, UVMapper C does unwrap the mesh using whatever algorithm chosen, but it auto-picks seam lines.  What is (usually) meant by unwrapping is to pick your own seam lines…

Yes, that had actually crossed my mind even as I was writing my comment and, my bad, I really should have noted that important distinction.

In fact, even the pro version doesn’t have that ability, although I can sometimes “fake it” by breaking a given mapped layout into subsections along the “seams” I would rather have and then remapping the subsections separately.

Not nearly as elegant or simple as picking the seams first and unfolding directly from them, though. smile

Signature 

For any arguments or illustrations I give, my system specs are:
Hexagon version 2.5.1.79,  XP pro 32 bit,  pentium core2 duo,  ATI radeon 3870, 2 gigs ram

Posted: 31 May 2012 09:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  48
Joined  2006-08-23
wancow - 31 May 2012 08:54 PM

I have the free UVmapper but I never understood it.  I didn’t spend much time trying to learn it though.  It creates all the uvs on top of each other and I didn’t know how to add seam lines to unwrap or how to select just part of the obj for uving.

In the edit pulldown, you can select by Group, Material Group, or Region.  You can select multiple groups at once and use the [ key to hide, the ] key to show.

Didn’t Daz do away with groups with Genesis? What’s the difference between material groups and clusters and what’s the point in selecting them if all you can do is hide them? Unless I misunderstand, Hex gives you more control there. If regions are the same as islands I would ask the same question. Hiding various parts only means you have to use multiple maps. While that’s not necessarily a bad thing, it’s also not necessarily very efficient either.

Posted: 31 May 2012 09:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-01-27
Gedd - 31 May 2012 08:51 PM

I don’t know what capabilities later versions may have, but photoshop 8 can’t load OBJ files.

But once I UV map an OBJ and create a texture template from it, then I use PS to paint the template.

Signature 

Hexagon version 2.5.1.79,  XP pro 32 bit,  pentium core2 duo,  ATI radeon 3870, 2 gigs ram

Posted: 31 May 2012 09:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1391
Joined  2011-11-16
admkrk - 31 May 2012 09:18 PM
wancow - 31 May 2012 08:54 PM

Didn’t Daz do away with groups with Genesis? What’s the difference between material groups and clusters and what’s the point in selecting them if all you can do is hide them? Unless I misunderstand, Hex gives you more control there. If regions are the same as islands I would ask the same question. Hiding various parts only means you have to use multiple maps. While that’s not necessarily a bad thing, it’s also not necessarily very efficient either.

having different “material zones” allows you to apply different textures, colors, and shaders to different parts of an object. For instance, if you create a belt with a buckle, having the buckle as a separate material zone from the belt allows you to apply a leather texture to the belt and a chrome or metal shader to the buckle. IT would also allow you to make a dress or blouse with sheer sleeves on an opaque bodice, etc. all while sharing the same UV map.

Posted: 31 May 2012 09:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-10

The other thing is that UVMapper Classic will also create a UVs file, so if you have a prop you need to create a new uv for… assuming there’s a way to do this in DS4, to apply a new UVs… (would love to figure that one out!)

Signature 

My DeviantArt Galleries
My ShareCG Gallery

Posted: 31 May 2012 10:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-01-27
admkrk - 31 May 2012 09:18 PM

Didn’t Daz do away with groups with Genesis? What’s the difference between material groups and clusters and what’s the point in selecting them if all you can do is hide them?

A “group” is a major component of a model, like an upper arm, lower arm, head, foot…that sort of thing.
A “material” can be a couple of things: It could be a subsection of a group such as “lips” on the head, or it can comprise several groups such as “skinbody”.
A “region” is a user defined portion of a model that is specific to UVMapper only, and is handy for moving portions of a model around or hiding/showing various portions as you map it.

If you load a poser model into UVMapper, UVMapper shows all the UV maps in the model, and they all overlay each other in a big mess. By “hiding” things like the “head”, “eyes”, “teeth”, etc…, you expose, say, only the body map to work on.

DS4 may not use groups, but hexagon and UVMapper do.

Signature 

Posted: 31 May 2012 10:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-10

DS4 uses Material Groups.  Regions are great for processing OBJs, by the way.  Neither Poser nor DS ever used those at all, so they do not affect the obj in either.  By the way, DS4 DOES recognize Object Groups, it’s Genesis that has a single object group.  If it did not, Victoria 4 would not work in DS4.

Signature 

My DeviantArt Galleries
My ShareCG Gallery

Posted: 31 May 2012 10:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Rank
Joined  2006-08-23
afreaginname - 31 May 2012 10:03 PM

A “group” is a major component of a model, like an upper arm, lower arm, head, foot…that sort of thing.

outside of Poser and Daz pre Genesis it still means nothing tho, right?

A “material” can be a couple of things: It could be a subsection of a group such as “lips” on the head, or it can comprise several groups such as “skinbody”.

I understand that and that’s all a cluster is, but as I said, what does it have to do with UV maps?

A “region” is a user defined portion of a model that is specific to UVMapper only, and is handy for moving portions of a model around or hiding/showing various portions as you map it.

So it is the same as an island.

If you load a poser model into UVMapper, UVMapper shows all the UV maps in the model, and they all overlay each other in a big mess. By “hiding” things like the “head”, “eyes”, “teeth”, etc…, you expose, say, only the body map to work on.

How does that pertain to any model I made in Hex or any other modeler and need to map? Maybe I’m wrong in assuming that anyone posting here is only looking to remap something someone else did?

How does that pertain to any model I made in Hex?

Posted: 31 May 2012 11:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-10

You can select the object groups you produce in hexagon after you export them to OBJ and use UVMapper to tweak the maps.  I do it all the time.

Signature 

My DeviantArt Galleries
My ShareCG Gallery

Posted: 31 May 2012 11:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Rank
Joined  2006-08-23

I don’t believe I ever said you can’t?
All I was saying is that there are better and easier ways, such as UVLayout or Roadkill that give you real unwrapping options.

Posted: 31 May 2012 11:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-01-27
admkrk - 31 May 2012 10:59 PM

outside of Poser and Daz pre Genesis it still means nothing tho, right?

Outside of wavefront OBJ files it means nothing.

I understand that and that’s all a cluster is, but as I said, what does it have to do with UV maps?

What do materials have to do with UV maps? Is this a trick question?

How does that pertain to any model I made in Hex or any other modeler and need to map?

You asked “What’s the difference between material groups and clusters and what’s the point in selecting them if all you can do is hide them?”

Maybe I’m wrong in assuming that anyone posting here is only looking to remap something someone else did?

I have no idea where you came up with that assumption.

How does that pertain to any model I made in Hex?

You asked “Didn’t Daz do away with groups with Genesis?”

This thread isn’t about models YOU made in hex, nor is it about DS4 or genesis. It’s about UV mapping problems the OP is having with models HE makes in hex and how we can help him solve those problems.

Signature 

Posted: 31 May 2012 11:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-10

By the way, one thing you can do in UVMapper Classic you can’t do in Hex is assign more than one material group to the same object group.  Hex doensn’t allow that.

Signature 

My DeviantArt Galleries
My ShareCG Gallery

2 of 5